PDA

View Full Version : The Next Phantasy Star.....Shining Force?!

ChronoTrigga
Apr 22, 2009, 01:59 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48300.html

Awesomeness in a handbag. I don't post on these forums much anymore since I haven't played PSU in a while. But wow, this game looks just like PSU only prettier, and with jumping.

P.S. I hope this is online, or at least multiplayer if it ever hits consoles.

Shadowpawn
Apr 22, 2009, 02:02 PM
Misleading title is misleading. This is a action rpg version of the old Shining Force games.

Kent
Apr 22, 2009, 02:44 PM
Misleading title is misleading. This is a action rpg version of the old Shining Force games.
The title isn't misleading if you read it.

It's comparing the newest entry in the Shining Force series with how the Phantasy Star series has become an online multiplayer action-RPG. Calling it "the next Phantasy Star," it's implied that the new Shining Force game will be similar (possibly to the extent of being a spiritual successor) to the recent entries in the Phantasy Star series.

...Besides, there already are action-RPG games in the Shining Force series - this is, more accurately, an online-enabled update to those, rather than an action-RPG update to the old Shining Force tactical RPGs.

I must say, though the game does look fun, it's a bit disappointing to see that it's an arcade-only release, on a couple different levels. First and foremost, this means it'll probably never show face outside of Japan, and if it did, it wouldn't be an arcade game anyway (mainly due to the arcade scene being more or less dead in the US, and probably in Europe, too). On top of this, it also means that there may not be any form of being able to keep your character data, though similar things have been done before... Of course, it could just end up being a smoother version of Gauntlet - which wouldn't be a bad thing, if we weren't past the mid-90's.

Shadowpawn
Apr 22, 2009, 03:30 PM
The title isn't misleading if you read it.

blah blah blah

I did read it and it can be interrupted in a variety of ways due to the ellipse. It could be made clearer if the title was "Could this Shining Force be THE next Phantasy Star Online/Universe." Not to mention that Phantasy Star is in fact a separate series from their online components. You can't tell me the title alone isn't misleading. Plus the game isn't online enabled, it's slated for a arcade release. It's the OT's WISH that it will be online enabled if it gets released to the consoles.

Cracka_J
Apr 22, 2009, 03:34 PM
don't dig it. looks like shining force for kids...plus fucking rainbow colors everywhere. more like martha stewart took a shit on shining force and this is the result. definitely not my cup of tea, but fanboys of the series will eat it up regardless.

Genoa
Apr 22, 2009, 03:34 PM
Looks nifty, I'll have to give it a try when it's available :)

Kent
Apr 22, 2009, 04:35 PM
Plus the game isn't online enabled, it's slated for a arcade release. It's the OT's WISH that it will be online enabled if it gets released to the consoles.
...It is online, by the way.

http://kotaku.com/5212420/sega-plans-another-shining-force-for-an-unexpected-platform

Just so you know, Sega's ALL.Net platform is... That's right: An online platform for arcades. It's been going on for quite a few years in Japan, and has even seen a launch stateside. It was originally planned for the likes of Virtua Fighter and Virtua Striker, but has since seen other uses. If I'm not mistaken, they have a pseudo-Virtual On mecha game for 16 players planned for the platform, as well.

jShazBot
Apr 22, 2009, 04:46 PM
No Comment

HolioArtillery
Apr 22, 2009, 05:01 PM
If I'm not mistaken, they have a pseudo-Virtual On mecha game for 16 players planned for the platform, as well.

Fuck everything else in this thread. More details on this.

ChronoTrigga
Apr 22, 2009, 05:42 PM
No Comment

Then why post? O_O

Saner
Apr 22, 2009, 09:43 PM
the 16 player virtual on sounds amazing, but I would like them to put Virtual On to more constructive use beyond meaningless deathmatching. why not a 5 player co-op story campaign that surpasses Armroed Core For Answer?

anyways ya, Shining Force Cross is not the PSO equivalent of Shining Force, it's just a Gauntlet Legends arcade dungeon hack, which is a shame, that genre bears less replay value than Turtles in Time.

Zarode
Apr 22, 2009, 10:11 PM
don't dig it. looks like shining force for kids...plus fucking rainbow colors everywhere. more like martha stewart took a shit on shining force and this is the result. definitely not my cup of tea, but fanboys of the series will eat it up regardless.

Rather have rainbows coming out of my ass in games, than blood, gore, and five billion shades of brown, black, and gray.

Zorafim
Apr 23, 2009, 12:35 AM
Do not want. Robot guys with hammers, typical main character with oversized swords, combat looks like a button masher... Nice dose of fantasy, but hardly enough.

Kent
Apr 23, 2009, 12:36 AM
Fuck everything else in this thread. More details on this.
Emphasis on the pseudo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7sb_qlP8Gs&fmt=18

Border Break, an online mecha arcade game in development by Sega AM2 (Virtua Fighter, Daytona series developers), features online 10-on-10 battles. As you can tell from the video, the game is a lot more like a cross between a third-person shooter and Armored Core, except without all of the inherent suck normally present in the latter. It looks like a very Sega take on it, and I use that term in the context that it would've had ten years ago.

Suzuka Miyamoto
Apr 23, 2009, 12:57 AM
Emphasis on the pseudo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7sb_qlP8Gs&fmt=18

Border Break, an online mecha arcade game in development by Sega AM2 (Virtua Fighter, Daytona series developers), features online 10-on-10 battles. As you can tell from the video, the game is a lot more like a cross between a third-person shooter and Armored Core, except without all of the inherent suck normally present in the latter. It looks like a very Sega take on it, and I use that term in the context that it would've had ten years ago.

Will this be now xbox 360?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!:-o

Cracka_J
Apr 23, 2009, 07:41 AM
you had me at giant robots beating the shit out of each other.

amtalx
Apr 23, 2009, 09:50 AM
That reminds of of MechWarrior 3 LAN parties. Dammit that was a good game.

Powder Keg
Apr 23, 2009, 09:51 AM
Awesome...I loved Neo and Exa. If you guys haven't played them yet, at least give them a chance. These kinds of games have a shitload of weapons/armor/items you can find, and the game can be difficult too (especially the bonus dungeon in Neo)

ChronoTrigga
Apr 23, 2009, 03:29 PM
Wow, way to derail a topic guys. http://home.comcast.net/~baiby/D.gif

All I have to say is....

http://home.comcast.net/~baiby/celesfalz.JPG

Mixfortune
Apr 23, 2009, 11:10 PM
Does seem rather like Gauntlet... and, what's with that one character that dresses and attacks like Sora...? Really?

The closest thing to a PSO that the Shining Series hit was Shining Soul I and II, which was fairly amazing due to the point that it was handheld, just top down.

Unfortunately I'm rather coming to terms with the point that perhaps the Shining series was never original, even in its heyday. Just seems all the more apparent now that the early Force style was more carrying off the opening of the Fire Emblem style stateside and most likely the franchise had no real creative merit to itself to hold onto any set style. I'm disappointed.

Kent
Apr 24, 2009, 03:33 PM
Shining Soul was fun, but a bit limited. The fact that there weren't multiple variations of each area really cut down on the replay value.

If they decided to make a new one for the DS with varied dungeon layouts and online play, though...

Seira7
Apr 24, 2009, 06:56 PM
I got really excited when I saw there was a new SF Action RPG, thought it was the next-gen console neo/exa with co-op. In my dreams *goes back to playing EXA*

Niered
Apr 26, 2009, 05:07 PM
Did noone else here play Shining Soul 2? It was an amazing dungeon crawler of the GBA, and its a shame that atlus hasnt made a Wi-Fi enabled one for the DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-8wFdGIWDA&feature=related

Kylie
Apr 26, 2009, 05:27 PM
Looks like a mix between PSU and Valkyria Chronicles... could be a good thing.

Vanzazikon
Apr 26, 2009, 11:47 PM
Did noone else here play Shining Soul 2? It was an amazing dungeon crawler of the GBA, and its a shame that atlus hasnt made a Wi-Fi enabled one for the DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-8wFdGIWDA&feature=relatedYeah, I've played Shining Soul II. Shining Soul I as well. I too would like to see a Wi-Fi enabled one for the DS.

gratefulgriz
May 4, 2009, 01:07 AM
i wish they would just stick to making the regular old school shining force series games on the NIntendo DS and regular PS games on the Nintendo Ds or other handhelds. Why does everything have to be online?? I mean its great to have both worlds, right?? On topic, this game looks beautiful but is prob crap like the playstation 2 shining force titles, still I support any PS title and Shining Force titles, in my opinion those games could become a series with a huge fan base and community, like what we have now, but BIGGER!!

Kent
May 4, 2009, 06:42 PM
Why does everything have to be online?? I mean its great to have both worlds, right??

Yeah, it's great to have both worlds. Thus the stunning success of Phantasy Star Universe...

However, just about everything has to have online nowadays for a reason. You could try and call it a fad, like it was back in the Dreamcast/Saturn days, but I think that wouldn't be doing this revolution justice. Online is in almost every game because it's become expected that games will have some sort of online mode. People want to be able to play with others, be it co-operatively, competitively or indirectly (e.g. Gamerscore, achievements, etc.).

Thusly, because people want games in which they can interact with others, developers and publishers push for games to have an online component, however it may be... Because simply having "multiplayer" tacked on the box does increase sales (or in the case of arcades, increases demand). This is the reason we see games with tacked-on multiplayer modes that aren't really all that fun or robust - it's also the reason we see games that are multiplayer-only selling millions atop millions of copies (World of Warcraft et al.).

Long story short, everything is online because it sells. It sells because the idea of online video games went from being a fad to being a movement, and became mainstream and expected - thusly, we're seeing few games that don't have some sort of online component - and eventually, we may no longer see consoles or handhelds that don't have some sort of passive online mode - but I doubt we'll ever see a point where single-player games are ever dropped completely; they'll just make due with Achievements and Party Chat support, possibly even some sort of real-time "observer" mode to which you can invite people.

opaopajr
May 12, 2009, 01:10 AM
i like to think of "online everything" as the perpetuation of the cause SEGA fought so hard, and eventually collapsed, for. they may not have been the only ones to put content online, or the first. but they consistently pushed the gaming market envelope with console after console trying to bring players who were far apart finally together.

if "Barbie vs. Army Heroes" came out and had online features, i'd still shed a tear knowing SEGA's work here has been done.