PDA

View Full Version : CHAMPIONSHIP MODE (sf4)

BogusKun
Apr 25, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hopefully, I am not the only one here who thinks Championship mode is for the cheap... I've gotten lucky and won a few championships on Street Fighter 4, but lately I have come across silly competitors who try to get cheap with Blanka and Guile (sure-win characters for the finals), and less people are picking Gouki. Then you have occasional camp-freaks with Ken.

Anyone here still plays the game enough to agree? If you thought Seth or Gouki were the strongest in the game well you're wrong, I gotten hit by Blanka's Ultra three times in my entire SF-career and let me tell you... it sucks because

1. you can't block it.
2. First hit don't get you second hit will (close)
3. you can control the wheel speed (like sonic/yoshi/jigglypuff on smash bros)
4. if it touches you once, you die automatically... and the move is fairly easy to do.
5. his normal strikes are strong enough.

I've been stuck on this game for quite a while... sorry i haven't been playing the new PSO games but I'm going to get one when I get a NDSi (funny because normally I get everything on the first day) ... haha graduating college next month.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 25, 2009, 02:52 PM
You can win by not letting them use their Ultra.

KodiaX987
Apr 25, 2009, 02:54 PM
I remember reading on a gaming website before about some guy starting his matches by constantly jump-punching with Zangief (or something close to that.) One way or another, it was a move that was extremely difficult to counter unless you had excellent timing.

The guy's reasoning was that "If my opponent can't get past this simple and cheap move, then he doesn't deserve to win."

Unfortunately, that's a tourney to you. It's not played for style. It's played to be won, purely and simply, no matter how beautifully or cheaply it's done.

BogusKun
Apr 25, 2009, 02:58 PM
yeah, most of the tournaments that i've won i had to succumb to being as cheap or cheaper than the opponent. luckily Seth has Dhalsim's arm which Zangief is weak against.

Kard
Apr 25, 2009, 03:12 PM
I remember reading on a gaming website before about some guy starting his matches by constantly jump-punching with Zangief (or something close to that.) One way or another, it was a move that was extremely difficult to counter unless you had excellent timing.

The guy's reasoning was that "If my opponent can't get past this simple and cheap move, then he doesn't deserve to win."

Unfortunately, that's a tourney to you. It's not played for style. It's played to be won, purely and simply, no matter how beautifully or cheaply it's done.
This.

@OP: It's pretty much how you effectively play to win. Chances are if you find something is "cheap" in Street Fighter, especially if it's not glitch-related (though many SF glitches are accepted and utilized fully in competition), there's a way around it that you either haven't figured out, or you're not good enough yet to counter it.

Blanka's ultra is blockable. First hit is low, so crouch block it. Second hit is an overhead, so block standing. The rest can be blocked any way you want. Admittedly it is tricky because depending on distance, the first hit may completely whiff and you'll never need to block low. It also has a fast startup, so if you happen to be moving while your opponent activates it, and you're in range, then you may be already caught. This is probably what's happening to you. Figure out the timing to block it in practice, and never have to worry about defending against it again. Also, try being a bit more defensive around Blankas with ultra.

Cracka_J
Apr 29, 2009, 03:25 PM
What an lol thread.

I suppose you don't like CM either because it shows disconnect %, and how many times you pull the plugs on other players for getting legit wins, and now you gotta deal with losing.

Like it, dislike it, whatever, but you lost to whatever gimmick or strategy they are handing you. Get it? YOU LOST. Reform your strategies and play more defensively, learn to block/counter what they are doing, because it's your own fault you lost.

And just so you know in response to your reasoning:
1. yes you can, as kard stated: crouch block, standing block, crouch or standing block (or just reversal at 3rd hit)
2. again, standing block.
3. blanka has always had this since ST, he's highly punishable in this state.
4. you don't die automatically. it is a higher damage ultra (like sagats) but it's still around 40%...it's not an instant kill lol.
5. blanka's normals are good, so are many other characters in the game (bison S HK?, rufus j. HK?)...so that just disqualifies him from having ultras? lol.

Sounds like you got a big mental block when it comes to fighting blanka in particular. Learn your matchup man, that's all I can really say. It's only your fault, no matter how gimmicky or scrubby the opponent is, because you are letting them beat you. Learn how to get around it.

Also, there's no such thing as "cheap" in fighting games. Everything and anything goes.
If you can't deal/accept that, you may want to be playing a different game.

BogusKun
May 6, 2009, 06:11 PM
haha i never quit a match before. :P

and yeah, now I'm starting to beat blanka and sagat no problem! just gotta make sure not to use seth's ultra up close. he's better off wailing on people ;)

HolioArtillery
May 6, 2009, 08:06 PM
Scrubs don't win tourneys.

UnderscoreX
May 7, 2009, 11:04 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIyHXaenWuA&feature=related

Though for the most part you are right, there's nothing cheap in Street Fighter. Kuroda is just gangsta like that.