PDA

View Full Version : Washing out Sharpie

Puppet_Papaya
Apr 27, 2009, 12:33 AM
I need help. Desperatly. Last Friday I had my brand new art bag over at a friends house. He asked if he could write something on it and I agreed. My last bag had all sorts of writing on it. I wasn't sure yet if I wanted to keep this one clean though. I figured it would just be a small note though, in the corner.
He ended up writing a tacky message taking up half the front of the bag with smudges and misspellings. Now my brand new bag looks cheap and I want it gone.
Does anybody know how to get Sharpie off of cloth? Is there a way? Pleas help me!

TheOneHero
Apr 27, 2009, 12:37 AM
I don't know for sure if it'll take care of it, but grab some Oxy Clean powder, and soak your bag in a bowl filled with a decent amount of that and some water. Water temp shouldn't matter as "the stain" has most definitely set in by now.

beatrixkiddo
Apr 27, 2009, 12:43 AM
Apparently acetone works..?

Mizari
Apr 27, 2009, 12:47 AM
You might try scrubbing some rubbing alcohol onto the inked-up areas (with a toothbrush, for example). This will break down the ink, but should cause no harm to the fabric. "Permanent" ink will eventually come out after repeated normal washing, but you probably don't feel like running your bag through the washing machine a bunch of times, so alcohol will accelerate the cleaning.

I've removed permanent ink from smooth surfaces before and rubbing alcohol works like a charm. Taking stains out of fabric will take a little more effort but should work.

Mizari
Apr 27, 2009, 12:48 AM
Apparently acetone works..?
Acetone will indeed break down the ink but can also break down other materials. ^^;

Gunslinger-08
Apr 27, 2009, 01:27 AM
You might try scrubbing some rubbing alcohol onto the inked-up areas (with a toothbrush, for example). This will break down the ink, but should cause no harm to the fabric. "Permanent" ink will eventually come out after repeated normal washing, but you probably don't feel like running your bag through the washing machine a bunch of times, so alcohol will accelerate the cleaning.

I've removed permanent ink from smooth surfaces before and rubbing alcohol works like a charm. Taking stains out of fabric will take a little more effort but should work.

Yeah. I can vouch for this from personal experience. Sharpie ink is alcohol based. (Which also explains its strong smell.)

CelestialBlade
Apr 27, 2009, 02:36 AM
http://kevinchristian.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/billymays.jpg

Seriously. I've yet to see much this stuff can't get rid of.

Puppet_Papaya
Apr 27, 2009, 08:10 AM
Ah, thanks everyone. I'm going to try rubbing alcohol first. Sounds like a perfect solution.
I just hope I can get it out by Thursday. I have an art thing with my sister.

Niered
Apr 27, 2009, 08:27 AM
BILLY MAYS HERE WITH OXI-CLEAN HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THIS STUFF IS AMAZING IT'LL CLEAN NAZI'S OUTTA POLAND IT'LL PUNCH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW'S FACE FOR YOU IT WILL EVEN THROW IN YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE AND MAKE YOU POPCORN JESUS YOUD HAVE TO EAT DOWNS SYNDROME FOR BREAKFAST TO TURN DOWN THIS DEAL DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT WE MAKE THIS SHIT OUT OF I SURE DONT BUT ITS PROBABLY BEYONCES TEARS OR SOME SHIT WOW.

Randomness
Apr 27, 2009, 03:51 PM
BILLY MAYS HERE WITH OXI-CLEAN HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THIS STUFF IS AMAZING IT'LL CLEAN NAZI'S OUTTA POLAND IT'LL PUNCH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW'S FACE FOR YOU IT WILL EVEN THROW IN YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE AND MAKE YOU POPCORN JESUS YOUD HAVE TO EAT DOWNS SYNDROME FOR BREAKFAST TO TURN DOWN THIS DEAL DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT WE MAKE THIS SHIT OUT OF I SURE DONT BUT ITS PROBABLY BEYONCES TEARS OR SOME SHIT WOW.

Lol, nice. FKL this post now!