PDA

View Full Version : Marvel vs Capcom 2 HD remake

Alnet
Apr 27, 2009, 11:48 PM
http://kotaku.com/5230220/marvel-vs-capcom-2-confirmed-with-hd-online-support-demo-coming?skyline=true&s=x

"It's been rumored. It's been practically verified. Now it's announced: Marvel VS Capcom 2 will be coming to the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 this summer with a new visual filter and online matching modes.

The game, which was developed for the PS3 and 360 by Foundation 9 and is based on the Dreamcast code, will sell on the Playstation Network Store for $15 and on Xbox Live for 1,200 Microsoft Points."

As this is one of my favorite games ever, I smiled. Hell, I grinned. I almost threw my TV out of the window, but stopped myself as that is terribly counterproductive, especially in this situation.

Your thoughts?

Nitro Vordex
Apr 28, 2009, 12:01 AM
I JUST SAW THAT A WHILE BEFORE I CLICKED HERE.

*dances around like an idiot*

I'MGONNATAKEUFORARIDE

Zyrusticae
Apr 28, 2009, 12:11 AM
...WHAT!?

...Now I'm curious. Oh, so very curious...

Kent
Apr 28, 2009, 01:23 AM
Too bad it's no HD Remix as far as the graphics go, and just scaled and smoothed.

...But look at how long it took them to redraw all of the sprites for Street Fighter II, and multiply it by the difference in number of characters here. That'd take forever and a half (and probably several gigabytes of data).

Sano
Apr 28, 2009, 02:04 AM
Regardless... its still MvC 2... one of the hardest games to get a hold of. /hiphiphooray!

Alnet
Apr 28, 2009, 02:28 AM
Too bad it's no HD Remix as far as the graphics go, and just scaled and smoothed.

...But look at how long it took them to redraw all of the sprites for Street Fighter II, and multiply it by the difference in number of characters here. That'd take forever and a half (and probably several gigabytes of data).
Ok, that's a good point.

I have the PS2 game, and play it on PS3. Even with the PS2 smoothing on, it still looks noticeably jagged and pixelated. That, and the game is still notoriously rare - the game is ridiculously expensive to buy for PS2 (the Xbox one is slightly less so). That's of course if you can find the damn thing in the first place.

Shadowpawn
Apr 28, 2009, 07:00 AM
Now you can pick the Mango Sentinel online and make it rain. Scoops!

Cracka_J
Apr 28, 2009, 07:55 AM
no color edit feature announced yet, but I'm betting there will be a custom soundtrack feature off of either the 360 or ps3 hard drive.

if you play fighters like sf4 online though, you've already experienced people ragequitting over stupid shit they can't beat. when marvel goes on live and psn, there will truly be a new age of ragequitting.

marvel has some of the most ridiculous shit in the history of fighting games...if people can't tolerate getting beat by basics in a game like sf4, what's gonna happen when cable hvb's an entire squad, sentinel guard breaks and drones you to death, magneto/psy perfect rape a squad....

this is going to be one of the most fun games to play online, and one of the worst due to the nubs that can't tolerate or understand hi level play, and ragequit on you. I can guarantee you that.

Dhylec
Apr 28, 2009, 08:13 AM
Well, that's a smart, but almost predictable move by Capcom. I think it'll be very nice.

Kylie
Apr 28, 2009, 10:41 AM
Can't wait. Awesome characters are awesome.

Cracka_J
Apr 28, 2009, 10:50 AM
Ok, here's a bit more info straight from the horse itself (kotaku is notorious for reporting crap/false info). Custom music uploads confirmed, and a bit more on the additional filters and widescreen formats being applied.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2009/04/27/wheres_yo_curleh_mustache_yes_mvc2_is_real

Alnet
Apr 28, 2009, 11:25 AM
Ok, here's a bit more info straight from the horse itself (kotaku is notorious for reporting crap/false info). Custom music uploads confirmed, and a bit more on the additional filters and widescreen formats being applied.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2009/04/27/wheres_yo_curleh_mustache_yes_mvc2_is_real
So we can use music on the HD to play in the game, eh~?

Well, I have the soundtrack to MvC2, I'll just use that!! :wacko:

But seriously, the most over the top fighting game ever now has the option for music that sounds fitting. I like where this is going.

Rei-San
Apr 28, 2009, 11:32 AM
My friends said this game was fun. And it looks fun from what i've seen. I might give it a try.

Outrider
Apr 28, 2009, 11:36 AM
I might get this. I always wanted to get into the Marvel vs. Capcom games as they were always fun when I played them in the arcade. (Not planning on playing competitively, of course - what am I, crazy?)

Plus, there's been a poster for MvC2 up at my parents' place for like, a billion years now, so I figure it's about time to actually play the damn thing.

Ok, here's a bit more info straight from the horse itself (kotaku is notorious for reporting crap/false info).

Since when? Heck, Kotaku's probably the most reliable gaming news site out there.

Powder Keg
Apr 28, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm....drooling..... :)

Shattered_weasel
Apr 28, 2009, 12:14 PM
Since when? Heck, Kotaku's probably the most reliable gaming news site out there.

http://kotaku.com/256174/ocarinas-not-just-for-link-any-more

Cracka_J
Apr 28, 2009, 12:28 PM
Kotaku is a fan based video game site, they're information has always been unreliable and second hand.

I wasn't trying to knock the op for posting the link, just providing a more reliable source (company & people working hands on with the game). I'm sorry I don't have a detailed point by point descriptions on all kotaku's blunders, but it really is nothing new. They are gossip central when it comes to games.

edit: Here's some more tidbits...

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/04/mvcgraphics_01.jpg

oh noes kotaku link!
http://kotaku.com/5230501/marvel-vs-capcom-2-old-graphics-vs-new-graphics

Outrider
Apr 28, 2009, 12:49 PM
http://kotaku.com/256174/ocarinas-not-just-for-link-any-more

Right - they're a game blog. That's how those kinds of sites work. Culture-related and fluff posts don't prevent it from keeping its journalistic integrity or validity as a news source.

When the vast majority of the gaming world (from devs to fans to fellow journalists) treats them as one of the better news sources for gaming, calling them "notorious" for having false information is a little off base.

Sayara
Apr 28, 2009, 01:35 PM
they also sister with Consumerist, sounds legit to me!

Niered
Apr 28, 2009, 01:36 PM
Right - they're a game blog. That's how those kinds of sites work. Culture-related and fluff posts don't prevent it from keeping its journalistic integrity or validity as a news source.

When the vast majority of the gaming world (from devs to fans to fellow journalists) treats them as one of the better news sources for gaming, calling them "notorious" for having false information is a little off base.

Quoted for truth.

I end up checking Kotaku more often than any other gaming related site. Just because they report rumors doesnt make them less useful.

Shattered_weasel
Apr 28, 2009, 01:38 PM
Right - they're a game blog.

If blog is anywhere near their name there journalistic integrity is somewhat under fire already.

Outrider
Apr 28, 2009, 02:03 PM
If blog is anywhere near their name there journalistic integrity is somewhat under fire already.

I dunno - several years back I would've totally agreed, what with the prevalence of personal blogs versus professional ones. But nowadays, these professional blogs are just as on top of things and most "traditional" sites. As Sayara pointed out, Kotaku is part of the Gawker network, which also includes Consumerist, Gizmodo & Lifehacker - all of which are pretty respected in their fields.

Kotaku is better written, better informed, and just a better read than the vast majority of other gaming sites out there. Aside from 1up, I can't think of any site that's a better resource. If they've posted false information before, I'd love to see it - they generally mark that stuff clearly as a rumor.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 28, 2009, 02:11 PM
I'm a Destructoid man myself. Nothin like a dose of sarcastic assholeism in your articles in the morning.

Cracka_J
Apr 28, 2009, 02:26 PM
Man can you say derailed? Back to eemveeceetoo?

I take everything kotaku posts with a big serving of salt because I've seen them drop the ball several times. That doesn't mean you have to. Read all their posts and believe every word of it if it makes you happy, idc.

Can we please get back to talkin about blastin bitchez with lazarz nao?

Sayara
Apr 28, 2009, 02:41 PM
Wiiware Wiiware Wiiware lol :(

I do dig how the smooth looks. That'll look excellent

Outrider
Apr 28, 2009, 02:43 PM
I'm a Destructoid man myself. Nothin like a dose of sarcastic assholeism in your articles in the morning.

Yeah, Destructoid is okay, but more often than I'd like they tend to go for shock value or spectacle over genuine reporting.

I actually have a passing acquaintance with one of the writers, and while a nice guy who's clearly enthusiastic about what he does, I don't necessarily see eye to eye with him on how one should run a gaming site. (In summary: They're a little too Colbert Report for me, while I'm looking for The Daily Show at the very least.)

Man can you say derailed? Back to eemveeceetoo?

I take everything kotaku posts with a big serving of salt because I've seen them drop the ball several times. That doesn't mean you have to. Read all their posts and believe every word of it if it makes you happy, idc.

Can we please get back to talkin about blastin bitchez with lazarz nao?

Again - I'd like to see when they've ever "dropped the ball."

But you're right, this is off-topic - the important thing is that they're bringing back Marvel vs. Capcom.

[PURE SPECULATION]What would be really neat is if this was to test the waters to see if they should make a Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.[/PURE SPECULATION]

Cracka_J
Apr 28, 2009, 02:55 PM
Personally I dig the crisp because it gives it more of that "flash-toon" type feel, and it'll probably look really sweet on a big hd monitor.

Interesting thing about the backgrounds too if you read through that whole capcom-unity blog post, apparently they were originally rendered at a much higher resolution, but due to DC only being able to output at standard 480, well, I guess they couldn't display the native resolutions or something along those lines.

So by being able to export the 3d backgrounds to a higher resolution device now, we'll actually get to see what they were originally intended to look like. I'm thinking they'll look pretty damn sharp on current hdtv's.

Vitamin_D
Apr 28, 2009, 03:09 PM
So we got this, Street Fighter IV, Virtual On tomorrow, KOF XII, Blaz Blue, Samurai Showdown, and a rumor about Mark of The Wolves on Live? Best. Year. Ever.

Vanzazikon
Apr 29, 2009, 11:30 AM
It's things like this that makes me want the latest gen consoles.

Sano
Apr 29, 2009, 12:51 PM
Can't wait to play MvC2 on my 42" HDTV in either smooth or crisp mode, they both look good lol. One thing I don't like: no working for your characters. To be honest, I really liked getting the points, buying either characters, a stage, or more colors, etc. It was fun imo. TIme consuming yes, but still fun nonetheless.

Cracka_J
Apr 29, 2009, 12:59 PM
The problem is, with marvel there are about 10-15 characters that are actually playable on a tournament level (no joke). Since people already know who these characters are, what some of the most popular team combinations are (in terms of what works), and have played these combination for the most part of the past 9 years, it seems a bit silly if they put in an unlock system again.

I think it's a good thing. People can dl it and hop right into using any team combination they like, whether they're playing on a casual or competitive level. The feature was more added for the long time fans/players of the game, which capcom likely deemed as their target audience for this release.

Kent
Apr 29, 2009, 02:55 PM
Wiiware Wiiware Wiiware lol :(
Officially (http://kotaku.com/5232001/why-theres-no-marvel-vs-capcom-2-on-wii) not coming to WiiWare, due to file size constraints. :/

Omega_Weltall
Apr 29, 2009, 03:17 PM
The problem is, with marvel there are about 10-15 characters that are actually playable on a tournament level (no joke).

pfft less than that. more like 6
Spiral
Sentential
Stom
Dr Doom
Magneto
Cable
oh and Servbot :D

Cracka_J
Apr 29, 2009, 03:35 PM
capcom
tronne
psylocke
cyclops

(to a lesser degree)
strider

but yeah, that's all I got in addition to your list, lol

Nitro Vordex
Apr 29, 2009, 05:59 PM
Officially (http://kotaku.com/5232001/why-theres-no-marvel-vs-capcom-2-on-wii) not coming to WiiWare, due to file size constraints. :/
Makes sense. I don't think it would perform very well on the Wii, plus they'd probably try to do something with waggle.

Slightly off topic, but I'd love to see something like MvC on the DS, mostly because the 3d graphics suck on DS, but the sprites are beautiful.

Apone
Apr 29, 2009, 06:57 PM
I wonder if they will fix the glitches and some of those infinite combos.

Shadowpawn
Apr 29, 2009, 10:22 PM
I wonder if they will fix the glitches and some of those infinite combos.

Don't count on it, they already have a demo available for Thursday. So it's most likely that the infinites are still there.

Freshellent
Apr 30, 2009, 12:39 PM
Iron Man still rules the arcades where I'm at, I'll be sure to make everyone hate him all over again online when I do play.

Vanzazikon
Apr 30, 2009, 02:22 PM
Cable was really cheap. Every n00b always picked him and do the same thing over and over, shoot + shoot + shoot + shoot + Laser beam.

Sayara
Apr 30, 2009, 02:32 PM
its the best combo for beginners ever!!

Alnet
Apr 30, 2009, 03:08 PM
Iron Man still rules the arcades where I'm at, I'll be sure to make everyone hate him all over again online when I do play.

Cable was really cheap. Every n00b always picked him and does the same thing over and over, shoot + shoot + shoot + shoot + Laser beam.
A friend and I have an ongoing debate over which is worse, Triple Iron Man or Triple Cable (with all colors unlocked). :wacko:

I say Iron Man, he says Cable. Anyhow, it's sort of a ridiculous thing to actually see happen. That is, Trip Iron Man vs Trip Cable.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 30, 2009, 05:34 PM
I would say Cable, because Iron Man took a little bit of skill to use. Cable can just be a dick sometimes.

I still want to do my Shinku Hadokens in the air with Ryu. It looks like a Kamehameha. :>

I know, I sound like a dork. ;-;

Freshellent
Apr 30, 2009, 06:14 PM
It's not Iron Man's super that you have to worry about though, it's everything else that he can do. You'll see, Hyper Combos aren't what makes bullshit in MvC2.

Wait till someone bans your opener and catches the assist, you'll love the game so much after that.

Rubius-sama
Apr 30, 2009, 06:25 PM
Marvel's Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter was my favourite out of the series. Didn't really like MvC2... didn't feel very fluid and was just too much without much thought. MvC1 was pretty enjoyable though.

Anyways, another Capcom sequel/remake. They'll never stop. Self-plagiarism is their MO.

Kylie
Apr 30, 2009, 08:06 PM
Limited demo is limited. The full game's gonna be awesome though.

Anyways, another Capcom sequel/remake. They'll never stop. Self-plagiarism is their MO.So true, but oh well. :lol: Makes for easier access to old favorites.

Cracka_J
Apr 30, 2009, 08:37 PM
At least you ps3'ers have a demo, even if there is only 6 chars and no online :P

MSHvSF is probably my favorite in the series as well, but also the worst (technically speaking) in the series. The game is 100% dominated and controlled by wolverine at all times (hyper mode>down fierce infinite>dizzy>repeat), to the point where he can just charge up full meter with jumping medium punches then go right back into hyper mode to try and infinite you. He was dirty. Cool things were that they announced the hyper combo finishes (by name), had character voices when chosen and for victory screens, and an overall very nice visual presentation. If the game were just slightly more balanced it would be an all time classic.

Wait till someone bans your opener and catches the assist, you'll love the game so much after that.

This is truth kiddies. Dead body infinites will not be removed. If you haven't seen or been hit by them, you will soon learn they are the worst punishment any game can dish out for you making a mistake. Also, if you didn't already know, 1 mistake in marvel=death. Enjoy it this summer :D

Kylie
May 4, 2009, 12:42 AM
True, Cracka_J, and I admit that it looks and sounds nice. Can't wait until the full version is released.

UnderscoreX
May 4, 2009, 11:26 AM
That's what makes Marvel fun, it's so ridiculously broken.

You just sit back and let it take you for a ride.

UnderscoreX
May 4, 2009, 11:36 AM
Video of Capcom showing off the full version.

EXCITE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCAw3mi2KA

Alnet
May 4, 2009, 12:45 PM
Video of Capcom showing off the full version.

EXCITE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCAw3mi2KA
I got wet.

In my mouth. Drooling. My God, I want to play it.

Freshellent
May 4, 2009, 01:23 PM
Well at least they changed the ugly ass menus from the console version.

King Koopa
May 4, 2009, 01:57 PM
MAG-FUCKING-NETO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA

Cracka_J
May 4, 2009, 03:16 PM
capcom doesn't even need to spend money on advertising, they could just use that and everyone would be happy :D

Shadowpawn
May 4, 2009, 03:19 PM
capcom doesn't even need to spend money on advertising, they could just use that and everyone would be happy :D

Could you image the magazine spreads?

*In big bold letters*

THINK YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO PLAY THE MANGO SENTINEL!

Matic
May 4, 2009, 05:07 PM
"This summer....you too can MAKE IT RAIN.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 HD. Where YO' curleh mustache at?"

Sano
May 5, 2009, 12:24 AM
Whoever was talking during that video has the potential to make more money as a Hype Man than Lil Jon did lol.

Powder Keg
May 5, 2009, 02:38 AM
I'm going to have so much fun playing this again....except against the Cable/Spiral/Sentinel combo of course. x_x (booooriinnnggg)

I was at a smash bros tournament and this game (back when Dreamcast was still the shit) was being played on the side. We had so many good matches, then this guy comes in and picks the three above characters mentioned. Soon as the match started, we saw what he was doing and all left him there alone. XD

In case anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnI2GQpZbgE

I normally never whine about this kinda stuff.....but this is just really stupid/annoying

Cracka_J
May 5, 2009, 09:09 AM
that's spiral basics dude, that's why she's considered a decent character.

decent because quite a few of the top characters can break through that pretty simply. as soon as people figured out how to play sent/storm properly, spiral players became a dying breed.

I mean this is the stuff you will be seeing day 1 when you go online this summer. People have been playing this game for the better part of the past 9 years, I really wouldn't expect anything less then some of the most solid tactics that have been used over that period of time.

Alnet
May 5, 2009, 09:58 AM
Wow, I actually feel kinda bad now... seeing as I've never seen any Spiral use like that. In fact, the only person I've ever met who's continuously beaten me was this Asian guy at an arcade back when... there were still arcades around here (4 years ago? 5 years?).

Him and his friggin' Sonic Hurricane. It was unbelievable how bad he messed me up with Guile.

Ok, I definitely need some practice.

Powder Keg
May 5, 2009, 11:45 AM
that's spiral basics dude, that's why she's considered a decent character.

decent because quite a few of the top characters can break through that pretty simply. as soon as people figured out how to play sent/storm properly, spiral players became a dying breed.

I mean this is the stuff you will be seeing day 1 when you go online this summer. People have been playing this game for the better part of the past 9 years, I really wouldn't expect anything less then some of the most solid tactics that have been used over that period of time.

I know, it's just an incredibly boring strategy to deal with...and this is coming from someone who likes to turtle. :-o

Omega_Weltall
May 5, 2009, 03:11 PM
i have a friend who placed top 20 i think in an evo torny and while i enjoy watching the game... damned if i can play it... i use Ryu, Cammy, and Cyclops and... you don't win with them (except Cammy and Cyclops) so i said eff it! I hated Mags, couldn't play Sent, and just plain ol' didn't like how Storm played. On top of the tricks like mentioned above or Sent/Doom traps >_<

Kent
May 5, 2009, 03:40 PM
Dan + Servbot + Tronne, ftw. :wacko:

Cracka_J
May 5, 2009, 05:03 PM
In all honesty I suck at the game, but I've watched a lot of tourneys for it and have some basis to go off of.

Probably going to go with some combo of cable/storm/sent with either capcom or cyclops 2nd assist position. Mags is way too fast for my fingers, I don't think I'd ever be able to play him. I like storm because she can rush or run away, same with the robut, and cable is just too fun when you got max stock and you get one hvb zap in :D

Only reason I'm leaning toward cyclops assist is because you will see a shitton of capcom anti-air assists online, and cyke can beat capcom clean if you delay yours a sec. So we'll see.

In the meantime, you guys should be getting hyped over blazblue (june 30th) (http://www.gamestop.com/browse/ProductMerch.aspx?groupid=444) and kof 12 (july 7th) (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74187) until we have a written-in-stone release date for mvc2. This summer is gonna be steamin hot for fighters :D

Alnet
May 6, 2009, 08:03 AM
Oh, is BlazBlue finally coming out on console~

I'd heard of that from a couple people, and they both thought it was great. It reminds me a bit too much of Guilty Gear (with good reason, not that I have a problem with GG). I mean, if I wanted to play GG, I'd play GG.

But I'm willing to give it a shot anyhow~

Back on topic, I hope that MvC2R (Remake :wacko: ) comes out before the end of the summer, not that I'll have the chance to download it during the summer, thanks to my folks having no internet at their house. PSN Network's probably forgotten who I am by now. I haven't been on it since the RE5 demo~

UnderscoreX
May 7, 2009, 10:53 AM
Oh, is BlazBlue finally coming out on console~

I'd heard of that from a couple people, and they both thought it was great. It reminds me a bit too much of Guilty Gear (with good reason, not that I have a problem with GG). I mean, if I wanted to play GG, I'd play GG.

Well it is made by the same developer.

Back on topic, I hope that MvC2R (Remake :wacko: ) comes out before the end of the summer, not that I'll have the chance to download it during the summer, thanks to my folks having no internet at their house. PSN Network's probably forgotten who I am by now. I haven't been on it since the RE5 demo~

It's releasing June 29th, so fuck the Knicks.

Cracka_J
May 7, 2009, 11:06 AM
It's releasing June 29th, so fuck the Knicks.

Unconfirmed info (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/05/report-marvel-vs-capcom-2-scheduled-for-june-29-release/).

UnderscoreX
May 7, 2009, 11:10 AM
Yeh, I just read that.

but still it's in their financial reports so I'd imagine it would fall in that week anyways.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4825/61566898.jpg

Cracka_J
May 7, 2009, 12:10 PM
yeah, it'll likely fall in that week. Probably the 1st or 8th of july (for 360 at least) due to M$ uploading on wednesdays.