PDA

View Full Version : The movies of May 2009 battle

Sexy_Raine
Apr 29, 2009, 08:48 PM
Here's something that sparked my interest recently, and thought it be interesting to hear what yous think is better. :D

X men Origins: Wolverine- A new prequel to the previous X men movies based on Wolverine's past before he became a part of X Men. He was also known as Weapon X. Release date- May 1st

Star Trek- A brand new movie based on the original Star Trek cast. Release date- May 8th

Terminator Salvation- The 4th movie and long awaited sequel to the terminator plot. Based around John O'Conner and his goal to uncover the secret behind Skynet and stop them from destroying mankind. Release date- May 22nd

Honestly, I haven't went to watch a movie since The Dark Knight, but I'm tempted to see one of these, but which? I'm leaning towards the Terminator Salvation as I seen the previous movies, follow by X men origins. Last would be Star Trek as I'm least fond of the series compared to the other two movies.

What do yous think?

BTW, I voted Terminator Salvation in my poll.

jShazBot
Apr 29, 2009, 08:51 PM
All movies rock my sox.
Try to watch all of them...simultaneously.

Shadowpawn
Apr 29, 2009, 08:57 PM
All movies rock my sox.
Try to watch all of them...simultaneously.

I'm missing my "good stuff" so I've to pass on that offer, chief.

On topic: I'd rather see the new Terminator movie. I always wanted to see what exactly happened during the war between the machines and humans.

Leviathan
Apr 29, 2009, 09:26 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Star Trek out of all of them.

But I really want to see Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen out of all the summer movies.

joefro
Apr 29, 2009, 09:42 PM
Star Trek! I'm not really into Terminator, (and the teaser trailer nearly gave me a seizure) and I've heard really bad things about X-Men. I've never seen Star Trek but my parents and siblings really loved the old shows and movies. The trailer for Star Trek is amazing and the music is e p i c.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0xaCB2nLS0 I'll be seeing X-Men tomorrow night or Friday, and I am excited for it even though I have low expectations. I *might* give Terminator a chance, but we'll see.

My May movies: based on how good I think they will be
Star Trek
Angels & Demons
Terminator
X-Men

Retehi
Apr 29, 2009, 10:25 PM
Tired of the X-men movies, not interested in it.

Terminator is on the top of my list, since it's a franchise I followed since I was a little kid. Only thing I didn't like from the trailer, is it doesn't look as gritty as it should be. Hopefully it's better than that failure T3.

Not as excited for Star Trek as I was before, but I'll still watch it I guess.

Volcompat321
Apr 29, 2009, 10:57 PM
X-Men: Origins was amazing!!!! cept they kinda demolished Deadpool :(

Mizari
Apr 29, 2009, 11:05 PM
Actually, I'm most looking forward to Pixar's Up. :wacko:

But of the ones you listed, I want to see Star Trek the most, with Wolverine a very close second.

Volcompat321
Apr 29, 2009, 11:14 PM
i saw the Wolverine movie a couple days ago. of the 3 you listed, Origins:Wolverine has me!

NPCMook
Apr 30, 2009, 01:57 AM
Terminator Salvation can go fuck its self, that is the most retarded plot I have ever heard. Robots want to become Human, by stealing human skin. Sorry, but no, just no.

Wolverine: Origins most people are going to see this just because its a giant cluster fuck of a bunch of cameos so they will later be able to make more movies... Also Gambit...

Star Trek, was never a big fan of the series and am even less a fan for this movie since its written by J.J. Abrham, who is a horrible writer to begin with.

Niered
Apr 30, 2009, 02:45 AM
Wolverine sucked something awful. I really liked the first 2 Xmen, the 3rd was by and large "lolwut" but at least entertaining, but Wolverine was really really...bad.

Granted, I saw the leaked unfinished version, but the only thing unfinished was the CG for alot of the shots, other than that its supposed to be the final cut. My biggest problem with it was that here they go and get Ryan frikkin' Reynolds, the PERFECT guy for Deadpool and his wit, and then because of Reynold's work schedule they end up replacing him with his mouthless stunt double and making Deadpool as un-Deadpool as possible only a fraction of the way into the film.

So to be honest I'd skip it somethin' fierce.

As for Star Trek, that I cant wait for, mainly because its something that me and my Dad will go watch, and bond over. He grew up watching the original, then I grew up watching Next Generation with him, and later watching most of the original series. So hopefully the fact that J.J. Abrams is behind it wont do too terribly much to hurt it.

I have high hopes for Terminator, even if T3 was awful. Isnt it supposed to PG-13? Hopefully that wont affect its merit, and Christian Bale is of course a great actor, even if John Connor just doesnt seem like he could ever be that badass. But I feel the film is a bit of a gamble.

So to sum up my opinion, I think Star Trek is the safest bet, (IT HAS SIMON PEGG!) Terminator might be a bit of a gamble, who knows, and Wolverine is definitely terrible.

Oh shi- My vote just equalized the whole thing. Haha, a stalemate has been reached!

Volcompat321
Apr 30, 2009, 03:12 AM
but you have to remember when they replaced him, even in the comics, he didnt have a normal mouth anyway. do some research? and he was weapon 11, no long considered deadpool.

Cracka_J
Apr 30, 2009, 07:35 AM
They all look pretty pimp.

I think I'm most pumped for star trek though, sylarspock should be highly entertaining to watch...and it's a good thing he's branching and doing other work outside of heroes cause that show is tanking hard (too bad, 1st season rocked too).

I'm looking forward to bale reprising his batman role in t:salvation and giving the joker interrogation dialogue to several metal killing machines who could just as well tear him apart in an instant. Although I'm expecting kind of a dull ending for this one (matrix 3 style self sacrifice in order to bring peace between humans/machines), but that's just my guess.

Wolverine shouldn't be much more then a standard popcorn flick, but it still looks like a fun ride. Really not expecting anything special out of this one, just a fun time.

That being said, I'll give my vote to trek. Should be a really fun movie, both me and the wife are looking forward to it, neither of us are star trek fans. Go figure.

EspioKaos
Apr 30, 2009, 09:03 AM
Wolverine for me!

I plan on seeing Star Trek at some point, but I'm not too interested in Terminator.

Tetsaru
Apr 30, 2009, 09:20 AM
They all look pretty good to me, but if I had to pick just one to see, I'd probably pick Star Trek.

Shattered_weasel
Apr 30, 2009, 12:21 PM
but you have to remember when they replaced him, even in the comics, he didnt have a normal mouth anyway. do some research?

wat

and he was weapon 11, no long considered deadpool.

They called him Deadpool. So I take it he's Deadpool.

Alnet
Apr 30, 2009, 03:11 PM
I picked X-Men. I'll prolly never get tired of those zany mutants~ And one of my friends kinda hyped me up on Wolverine lately with Hulk vs.

Not really a Star Trek fan, and while T2 is one of my favorite movies ever, I'm not really too hyped up for the 4th movie.

Puppet_Papaya
Apr 30, 2009, 03:38 PM
My number one is Wolvie at this point. I love the X-men, even though the third one was kin of a letdown. And as much as I like Ryan Rynolds, I'm really annoyed with what they've done with Deadpool. But Gambit makes up for it!

Number two is Trekie. I'm really more of a NextGen guy, but J.J. Adrams just does it for me. Only thing I havn't liked by him was Alias. Also, trailers look awesome.

Number three is Termie. I've never been a Terminator fan but..Christian Bale! Yus! Also, the trailers looks sweet.

Also, why isn't Transformers on the poll? Transie would easily be my number two.

Vanzazikon
Apr 30, 2009, 03:41 PM
Wolverine: Origins look awesome. So far, it's the only one I want to watch.

Volcompat321
Apr 30, 2009, 04:34 PM
well, just like weapon X or weapon 10, is still wolverine, deadpool became weapon 11 which is technically still deadpool, with a little extra abilities...none of which were the same as the comics as in the movie.

Sexy_Raine
Apr 30, 2009, 05:03 PM
My number one is Wolvie at this point. I love the X-men, even though the third one was kin of a letdown. And as much as I like Ryan Rynolds, I'm really annoyed with what they've done with Deadpool. But Gambit makes up for it!

Number two is Trekie. I'm really more of a NextGen guy, but J.J. Adrams just does it for me. Only thing I havn't liked by him was Alias. Also, trailers look awesome.

Number three is Termie. I've never been a Terminator fan but..Christian Bale! Yus! Also, the trailers looks sweet.

Also, why isn't Transformers on the poll? Transie would easily be my number two.

Transformers 2 comes out in June, that's why I didn't include it. It's still a bit far from release and doesn't have many trailers compared to the 3 in this topic. TF2 would be better off getting its own topic dedicated to it.

jShazBot
Apr 30, 2009, 06:51 PM
Awww....I was really hoping Wolverine would be good. But everyone is saying it sucks! (Move isn't out yet. wtf?)

My family kinda likes Star Trek and I love Terminator. T2 is probably one of my favorite movies. T3 was complete ass.
I really like the new direction the Terminator series is now going. I think its about time we actually see judgment day, something the last 3 Terminator movies only teased at. Really like Christian Bale but I wish Schwarzenegger would at least have a cameo.

joefro
Apr 30, 2009, 07:31 PM
Awww....I was really hoping Wolverine would be good. But everyone is saying it sucks! (Move isn't out yet. wtf?)

It got leaked online months ago.

Niered
Apr 30, 2009, 07:37 PM

Somebody within the film leaked a pre-release version. It was all over the intertubes within a couple days and became really infamous. Basically it was the finished movie with all of the scenes and takes they wanted, but alot of the scenes were unfinished with either green-screen sets still visible, place-holder effects, or unfinished 3D models for the characters/environments.

Actually, in that respect it was kinda cool, because you got to see the various stages of a high budget film in every level of polish imaginable.

But yeah it still sucked. There was way too much Xmen 3 in it. And not "oh characters and settings from Xmen 3!" but "Oh look, this is as crappy as Xmen 3".

Kylie
Apr 30, 2009, 08:05 PM
X Men Origins: Wolverine because Gambit and Emma Frost are in it.

Pwincess
May 1, 2009, 01:49 AM
T_T what about Angels and Demons? I've been looking forward to it...

Nitro Vordex
May 1, 2009, 02:04 AM
What, no G.I. Joe or Transformers on that list?

To hell with you. :<

Also, probably shouldn't watch unfinished films.

Volcompat321
May 1, 2009, 02:32 AM
even tho i saw X men, i will still go to the movies to see it....it was that good of a film. ALTHOUGH it wasnt a good X-men movie, it was a great action movie.

Retehi
May 1, 2009, 06:00 AM
What, no G.I. Joe or Transformers on that list?

To hell with you. :<

Also, probably shouldn't watch unfinished films.

Should there be neon lights pointing to "May 2009 battle" in the topic title?

SubstanceD
May 1, 2009, 10:01 AM
If I have the time and the money to spare then I probably will go and see all 3 movies although I can't say that I am excited to see any of them. If I absolutly had to pick one film then it would be J.J. Abram's Star Trek.

I like J.J.'s previous work ( Alias, Lost Fringe, Cloverfield ) and I think he is one of the more creative minds in Hollywood right now. His take on Star Trek should be interesting. I'm not really a fan of the original series or the original cast ( not that they were bad, it's just that the show was a product of it's time and I was raised on faster paced Star Wars films ) although I was/am a massive fan of Next Gen and Deep Space 9 so I do have some love for the Star Trek Universe.

I felt that the first 2 X-men films were mediocre at best and the less said about the 3rd the better. Having said that Wolverine is my 2nd favorite X-Man ( behind Psylocke ) and I have a soft spot for Hugh Jackman, at the very least X-Men Origins: Wolverine should at least satisfy my craving to watch mindless action film.

As for Terminator Salvation, they should have ended this franchise after the 2nd movie, I see no point for a 3rd. Still I like Christian Bale and he isn't known for picking crap movie roles. It also looks like it may offer somthing different from it's predessors, it could be a dark horse this May.

Just out of curiousity, when is G. I. Joe out in the cinema, I though it was due out in May, if so I would have picked that film.

UnderscoreX
May 1, 2009, 10:55 AM
They all look terrible, you should go out and rent a real movie. Like Cobra.

Outrider
May 1, 2009, 11:23 AM
I'll probably see Terminator: Salvation. I don't care at all about the Terminator series, but I love Christian Bale and I've recently been loving me some gritty science fiction.

Wolverine looks awful - definitely too much X-Men 3 in there (though it's nice to see Cyclops show up!)

I'm not a Star Trek fan or a J.J. Abrams fan, so I have no plans to see Star Trek. I'll also say this - having watched the trailers, what about the film doesn't scream "flash soulless Hollywood remake"? I don't see anything in there that looks like it's something a Star Trek fan would be into - but like I said, I'm clearly not the target audience.

joefro
May 1, 2009, 12:33 PM
Just out of curiousity, when is G. I. Joe out in the cinema, I though it was due out in May, if so I would have picked that film.
It doesn't come out until August 7th. I guess they wanna be that "last great movie of the summer" movie. They really should start showing the trailer more; I go to the movies every week and watch a variety of movies. I have yet to see even a teaser trailer for G.I. Joe yet. I'm very interested in the movie and I have no past knowledge of G.I. I hope it comes out good.

Outrider
May 1, 2009, 01:00 PM
How in the world could they be missing such an obvious release date of July 4th - Independence Day, for frack's sake! - for GI Joe?

Just another sign that they're missing the point entirely with that film. If it's not just an endless series of cameos and one-liners, they're doing it wrong.

EDIT: And blue and red lasers! They can't forget the lasers!

joefro
May 1, 2009, 09:22 PM
Holy shit. I actually liked X-Men. Some of the cgi was crappy and the opening scene sucked, but overall I enjoyed it.

Nitro Vordex
May 1, 2009, 09:51 PM
I thought it was awesome. Went and saw it today, definitely worth the money. ;o

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
May 1, 2009, 11:51 PM
I'm really lookin forward to the new Terminator movie. I'm just a sucker for it. But it won't be the without Arnold and his dopey one liners. I miss Arnold. I saw Jingle All The Way just for his goofy one liners. "Put tha cookie DAAAHWN!!!"

Volcompat321
May 2, 2009, 04:04 AM
AHNOLD, you mean? lmao

did jingle all the way have ahnold in it? i thought it was uh, danny devito, and mathew brodrick?.....i love mathew brodrick in ferris bueler's day off

Kylie
May 2, 2009, 07:56 PM
"I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked" by Ida Maria

Tetsaru
May 2, 2009, 07:59 PM
I got to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine with a friend last night... I thought it was pretty good. I don't read the comics, but the scene with Deadpool having a bunch of mutant powers didn't seem like the swords/handguns-wielding goofy-ass Deadpool that I'm familiar with... Gambit and Emma Frost were cool, though I wish they had some more action scenes.

Also, my friend and I were confused about this: who was the black guy that was able to teleport? Surely not Nightcrawler...? Wasn't he like... German or something?? O_o;

Shattered_weasel
May 2, 2009, 08:14 PM
Also, my friend and I were confused about this: who was the black guy that was able to teleport? Surely not Nightcrawler...? Wasn't he like... German or something?? O_o;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kestrel_(Marvel_Comics)

Shou
May 3, 2009, 04:01 AM
Movies have been sucking for quite a while now.... I should have seen Slumdog when it came out :(

Volcompat321
May 3, 2009, 06:53 AM
movies for the last 3-5 years havent been original...they are pretty much all remakes of older movies....or comics.....(the day the earth stood still, for one) and many others. just look back into the last 3 years of films. Then look back 30 years ago. You will see similar titles.

Niered
May 3, 2009, 04:33 PM
movies for the last 3-5 years havent been original...they are pretty much all remakes of older movies....or comics.....(the day the earth stood still, for one) and many others. just look back into the last 3 years of films. Then look back 30 years ago. You will see similar titles.

Thats quite the generalization.

Just to name a few movies off the top of my head that blast that idea out the water:

Tropic Thunder,
Gran Torino,
The Wrestler,
Pans Labyrinth,
Wall-E,
No Country for Old Men,
Burn after Reading,
There will be Blood,
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,
etc.etc.etc.

Your argument would have been a lot more convincing if, oh, lets say you used more than one example, or slightly reworded it too this:

"Movies, and media in general has come to a point where virtually every major narrative idea has been done in some way shape or form. The challenge for filmmakers and artists in general is how do you differentiate yourself from the past?"

And although it is true that a lot of movies borrow ideas or outright steal them from other sources, saying "all the movies in the last 3-5 years" have done so is WOEFULLY ignorant.

Volcompat321
May 3, 2009, 07:01 PM

Just to name a few movies off the top of my head that blast that idea out the water:

Tropic Thunder,
Gran Torino,
The Wrestler,
Pans Labyrinth,
Wall-E,
No Country for Old Men,
Burn after Reading,
There will be Blood,
etc.etc.etc.

Your argument would have been a lot more convincing if, oh, lets say you used more than one example, or slightly reworded it too this:

"Movies, and media in general has come to a point where virtually every major narrative idea has been done in some way shape or form. The challenge for filmmakers and artists in general is how do you differentiate yourself from the past?"

And although it is true that a lot of movies borrow ideas or outright steal them from other sources, saying "all the movies in the last 3-5 years" have done so is WOEFULLY ignorant.

how many of the movies younamed are books?

about half....
Pans Labrynth
No country for old men
Eternal sunshine.
There will be Blood
and if im not mistaken, burn after reading.
And lets not talk about the wrestler, it wasnt a book, but how original was it? (ready to rumble was better lol)

and yes, you are correct, maybe i shouldnt be so hard on directors/ screen"writer". I apolagize.

Shattered_weasel
May 3, 2009, 10:39 PM
Pans Labrynth

BZZZT

burn after reading.

BZZZT

I'm gunna throw Eternal Sunshine in the maybe category because it is more of based on a poem.

But does it matter what the source material of a movie is. I mean look at Casablanca.

Volcompat321
May 3, 2009, 10:49 PM
ah, but you are wrong about the pans labrynth
El Laberinto Del Fauno
El Laberinto Del Fauno
El Laberinto Del Fauno
the labrynth of the faun. which is....pans labrynth
and yea, casablanca lol.

and burn after reading...was a book. do a small bit o research :D

(by the way, this isnt me starting a fight or anything, its just how i type, people think im rude :o sorry :D)

Shattered_weasel
May 3, 2009, 11:15 PM
ah, but you are wrong about the pans labrynth
El Laberinto Del Fauno
El Laberinto Del Fauno
El Laberinto Del Fauno
the labrynth of the faun. which is....pans labrynth
and yea, casablanca lol.

and burn after reading...was a book. do a small bit o research :D

(by the way, this isnt me starting a fight or anything, its just how i type, people think im rude :o sorry :D)

I hope to god you aren't this stupid in real life.

Niered
May 4, 2009, 01:21 AM
I hope to god you aren't this stupid in real life.

oh god im drunk and having the time of my life reading the hellstorm i just brewed.

Volcompat321
May 4, 2009, 01:39 AM
lol no im really not :D
but really that book i read it, its pans labrynth.

Outrider
May 4, 2009, 10:26 AM
lol no im really not :D
but really that book i read it, its pans labrynth.

It's an original story written by Guillermo Del Toro.

It was not based off of a book. In fact, when doing a Google search for a book by that title, the only relevant hit I found was the book adaptation of the film's plot. So the only book I could find is based off of the movie.

Also, when you say something like

And lets not talk about the wrestler, it wasnt a book, but how original was it? (ready to rumble was better lol)

you've pretty much invalidated your entire point by showing us you don't really have a basis to your argument aside from complaining.

Volcompat321
May 4, 2009, 12:00 PM
eh, ive lost interest in this thread, not because of what you say, its just that there is no point anymore. But please, read that book, i liked it, and maybe you will see the small differences between pans labrynth and the book. and Burn After Reading was also a book like i said before. Read that too, and watch the movie :D

Shattered_weasel
May 4, 2009, 12:34 PM
eh, ive lost interest in this thread, not because of what you say, its just that there is no point anymore. But please, read that book, i liked it, and maybe you will see the small differences between pans labrynth and the book. and Burn After Reading was also a book like i said before. Read that too, and watch the movie :D

There might be a book adaptation. That doesn't mean that they are based on books. Same with Burn After Reading. That was the written by the Coen Bros. while they were working on No Country for Old Men.

Cracka_J
May 4, 2009, 01:21 PM
man did peeps see wolverine over the weekend...

I knew it was going to be a popcorn flick, but I didn't think it was gonna be that bad.
What a stinker. Here's hoping to Star Trek this weekend.

Outrider
May 4, 2009, 01:38 PM
eh, ive lost interest in this thread, not because of what you say, its just that there is no point anymore.

You can admit that you made a mistake. It's okay. We're not that vicious.

Having read a bit more about Wolverine, I'm thinking it could be worth watching on TBS someday in the near future, but not much more.

Then again, my cable company offers deals for free movie tickets, so maybe I'll use that as a chance to see Ryan Reynolds: The Movie 2: Wolverine.

That's... that's the full title. Didn't you guys know?

Sexy_Raine
May 4, 2009, 05:59 PM
Movies are S11 where I'm at, which is insane. I remember when they were like $5! Shheeesh.

Terminator and Star Trek have yet to be released, but I'll be happy if T4:S is better than T3! Ugh, let us not speak of T3 again. :X

Volcompat321
May 4, 2009, 08:01 PM
Ryan Reynolds: The Movie 2: Wolverine.

the sad part is, he is barely in the damn movie. . .and like i said before, the movie wasnt that bad as an action film, but as a Wolverine or X-men movie, it was shit.
:( im actually dissapointed in it for that. BUT imo it was good enough to be considered an action flick.

Niered
May 5, 2009, 12:50 AM
Having read a bit more about Wolverine, I'm thinking it could be worth watching on TBS someday in the near future, but not much more.

Then again, my cable company offers deals for free movie tickets, so maybe I'll use that as a chance to see Ryan Reynolds: The Movie 2: Wolverine.

No silly, its called Ryan Reynolds: The Cocktease. Or perhaps the reverse cocktease? I mean, hes their at the beginning, and then vanishes....like all too many of my dates...D:

donkeybeatz
May 5, 2009, 12:54 AM
u mad
y u mad?

Volcompat321
May 5, 2009, 01:55 AM
omfg...is this is ridiculous....haha funny tho. no, im not mad.

NPCMook
May 5, 2009, 02:51 AM
Tropic Thunder,
Gran Torino,
The Wrestler,
Pans Labyrinth,
Wall-E,
No Country for Old Men,
Burn after Reading,
There will be Blood,
etc.etc.etc.

Fix'd

Shattered_weasel
May 5, 2009, 02:55 AM
And we start over again.

Niered
May 5, 2009, 08:07 AM
Fix'd

Did you even see those films, or are you just allowing your personal opinion to cloud itself into irrational slander?

Volcompat321
May 5, 2009, 08:17 AM
Wether it matters or not, I've seen all of those movies, and loved every one :D

joefro
May 6, 2009, 10:09 AM
I'm online ordering my Star Trek tickets, and I noticed that it isn't premiering at midnight tomorrow night; it is premiering at 7:00 and 10:00 pm. I'm confused but not mad, it'll be nice to be fully awake for the movie. I'm wondering if this is like a trial run for AMC or if the Star Trek people just let the movie come out a few hours early?

Outrider
May 6, 2009, 10:31 AM
In recent years, they've been moving "midnight premieres" earlier and earlier, to the point where you'll sometimes see them around 7 or 8 the evening before what's generally accepted as the official release.

Cracka_J
May 6, 2009, 01:11 PM
if it's not officially out, does that mean you can tape it and put it online for people to dl?

:D

Niered
May 6, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'm online ordering my Star Trek tickets, and I noticed that it isn't premiering at midnight tomorrow night; it is premiering at 7:00 and 10:00 pm. I'm confused but not mad, it'll be nice to be fully awake for the movie. I'm wondering if this is like a trial run for AMC or if the Star Trek people just let the movie come out a few hours early?

I read an article that explained why this is the case actually. They decided that because alot of original Trek fans are getting on in years, they didnt want to force them to stay up later than they normally do.

Which, although it makes sense from a marketing viewpoint, is still funnier than I care to talk about.

Outrider
May 6, 2009, 02:15 PM
That's pretty interesting, but like I said, they've been doing this for years. I remember seeing Iron Man at 8:00 PM the night before it's "official" release.

It definitely seems to vary from theater to theater though. You'll usually only find one theater in the area that's showing the early (or late, depends on how you look at it) showings.

Vanzazikon
May 6, 2009, 03:35 PM
u mad
y u mad?Oh dude xDDD, you made me laugh and now everybody in the library is looking at me.

I wasn't expecting that.

joefro
May 6, 2009, 07:04 PM
I read an article that explained why this is the case actually. They decided that because alot of original Trek fans are getting on in years, they didnt want to force them to stay up later than they normally do.

Which, although it makes sense from a marketing viewpoint, is still funnier than I care to talk about.
It really is funny, but it does make sense.

On the topic of Wolverine.

The game is really good. I'm about three hours into it and I find it better than the movie so far.

Moo2u
May 7, 2009, 01:13 AM
Wolverine I had low expectations for, and those expectations were met.

Star Trek looks awesome, and I'm not even a Star Trek fan, so that's a good sign.

Terminator and I are done professionally!

Niered
May 7, 2009, 06:22 AM
Wolverine I had low expectations for, and those expectations were met.

Star Trek looks awesome, and I'm not even a Star Trek fan, so that's a good sign.

Terminator and I are done professionally!

Then why the ---- are you walking right through this thread?! Ah-da-da-dah, like this in the background. What the ---- is it with you? What don't you ------- understand?!

Outrider
May 7, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hold on for a sec - How in the world did we miss the fact that Up is releasing in May as well?

Ed Asner? Dogs with machines hooked up to them so they can talk? Houses suspended by balloons? ED ASNER?

That film gets my vote. I don't think anybody would be shocked if it ended up being a better movie than Wolverine, Star Trek or Terminator.

Niered
May 7, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hold on for a sec - How in the world did we miss the fact that Up is releasing in May as well?

Ed Asner? Dogs with machines hooked up to them so they can talk? Houses suspended by balloons? ED ASNER?

That film gets my vote. I don't think anybody would be shocked if it ended up being a better movie than Wolverine, Star Trek or Terminator.

It will be amazing as all things are with Pixar, but on the same hand it would be sorta odd comparing it to 3 action flicks.

Tetsaru
May 7, 2009, 08:03 PM
Up seems like it'd be a cute movie to see... though I REALLY want to go see 9 once it comes out later on. A friend of mine said it looked like "Little Big Planet grown up" to him, lol. Besides, Tim Burton always does some pretty cool stuff. Didn't get to see Coraline, though... >_<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIpZxBczWUg

Niered
May 7, 2009, 09:46 PM
Up seems like it'd be a cute movie to see... though I REALLY want to go see 9 once it comes out later on. A friend of mine said it looked like "Little Big Planet grown up" to him, lol. Besides, Tim Burton always does some pretty cool stuff. Didn't get to see Coraline, though... >_<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIpZxBczWUg

Tim Burton gives me a bad taste in my mouth these days, and although 9 looks cool and all...the character designs (apart from maybe the enemies) look really really dumb.

joefro
May 8, 2009, 12:58 AM
Star Trek was amazing. It was light years better than Wolverine. I'm passing on T4. Angels next week, then Up later in the month.

Outrider
May 8, 2009, 08:36 AM
It will be amazing as all things are with Pixar, but on the same hand it would be sorta odd comparing it to 3 action flicks.

Yeah, but maybe I wasn't clear:

http://www.ed-asner.com/asner.jpg

ED ASNER.

More on topic, it looks like all the critics are saying Star Trek is a ton of fun, so long as you don't mind that it's all style and no substance. Certainly not the worst way to make a sci-fi film. I still don't think I'll be going this week to see it, though.

joefro
May 21, 2009, 02:46 AM
I went against my instinct and saw Terminator: Salvation. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great.

Possible spoilers, duh.

I really thought that the plot would be different and not just a rehashing of what we already knew from T1. And also, the trailer for the movie really, really ruined what would have been a big surprise. The biggest let down had to be the PG-13 rating. Why? Why? Why? A lot of the movie felt held back and childish. It wasn't a bad movie, and it didn't feel like a Terminator; it had way too much action. Hopefully T5 will be the last one. (lol)

Here's hoping that Up will be good, even though I have no idea as to what the plot is. Pixar usually doesn't disappoint.

Outrider
May 21, 2009, 09:10 AM
Here's hoping that Up will be good, even though I have no idea as to what the plot is. Pixar usually doesn't disappoint.

Here's a summary of the movie:

http://www.ed-asner.com/asner.jpg

ED ASNER.

Delete
May 24, 2009, 06:22 PM
So I just saw this and It was an okay movie. However, I still like 2 and 3 more then this one. T1000 and um.... Kristina Loken (forgot movie name) were better enemies IMO.
Also, In Salvation, the whole time line is weird. I Won't ruin it, but you will probably get confused too if your a Terminator fan.
Anyway, what did you guys think about it?

joefro
May 24, 2009, 06:54 PM
Saw T4 on Wednesday and Star Trek again yesterday. T4 sucked. I really didn't enjoy it, T2 remains the best Terminator movie. Star Trek was amazing, again.

Niered
May 29, 2009, 01:03 PM
So I just saw this and It was an okay movie. However, I still like 2 and 3 more then this one. T1000 and um.... Kristina Loken (forgot movie name) were better enemies IMO.
Also, In Salvation, the whole time line is weird. I Won't ruin it, but you will probably get confused too if your a Terminator fan.
Anyway, what did you guys think about it?

You...liked T3? I didnt know that film had fans.

Salvation was...hrm...formulaic. Seriously Matrix-esque with the whole trickery in the end, but not in any way a good thing. As usual the action scenes were alotta fun, but their were alot of lolwut moments.

joefro
May 30, 2009, 10:28 PM
Just got in from seeing Up, it was very good. I saw Drag me to Hell on Thursday night and I didn't like it, but I did like how it was a very cheesy B horror movie. Up was excellent though. Oh, and yes, http://www.ed-asner.com/asner.jpg made the movie. :)

My overall rankings for May 2009 movies: (that I have seen, from good to bad)
Star Trek
Up
Angels and Demons
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Terminator Salvation
Drag me to Hell

Outrider
Jun 1, 2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah, Up was amazing. I really can't stress enough that Pixar makes simply astounding films. If you like good cinema and you've got any sort of heart, you should see Up. It's absolutely worth it.

I give it 5 Ed Asners:

http://veteransforpeaceindiana.org/ed_asner.gifhttp://veteransforpeaceindiana.org/ed_asner.gifhttp://veteransforpeaceindiana.org/ed_asner.gifhttp://veteransforpeaceindiana.org/ed_asner.gifhttp://veteransforpeaceindiana.org/ed_asner.gif

out of five.