PDA

View Full Version : my new car almost explodes, riots break out, anarchy ensues, ww3 because of OPRAH

BlaizeYES
May 7, 2009, 06:34 PM
http://gawker.com/5242778/oprah-kfc-coupon-riot

lol, i was a victim of this as well. i was driving down a major road running a quick 20 minute errand around 9:00 at night, only to be backed up for only 4 blocks in bumper-to-bumper traffic due to her KFC promotion. the line for the kfc drive-thru were backed up half a block in the right lane because it wrapped around the building and came right around to the road... and more cars were trying to enter from all angles, filling up that tiny little fast food place. it was like dropping a jolley rancher on the ground, and watching the little ants flock in their coordinated little lines, all trying to get a piece of that unhealthy shit.

but yea, i was backed up for 2 hours in this traffic. the funny thing was, last week at a get-together the topic of oprah came up, and i was talking about how i have much distaste towards her and her "fans." AND THEN SHE DOES THIS.

DAMN YOU OPRAH. YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS

Mizari
May 7, 2009, 06:54 PM
Jesus. And I thought the grand opening promotions that Chick-fil-a ran were bad, in terms of huge mobs wanting fast food (when a new Chick-fil-a franchise opens, the first 100 or something customers get free Chick-fil-a for a year, or so I've heard). This is way worse.

I love the person they quoted on Gawker:

I went over to our nearest KFC a few minutes ago (this was around 42nd and Park)and chaos ensued. Despite the very visible grilled chicken behind the register, the manager told everyone with coupons to leave and that the promotion was over for the day. The people there are currently holding a sit-in and refusing to leave until they get their free chicken...or the cops are called. Racial epithets were being spewed, people who actually wanted to pay for chicken were facing a potential beatdown, and the manager ran from the screaming horde. Oprah, what have ye wrought?

That's right. SIT-INS. FOR FREE CHICKEN. Yeah, people used to sit in at Woolworth's demanding racial equality, now they sit in at KFC demanding nasty fast-food grease bombs BECAUSE OPRAH - YEAH, YOU HEARD ME, OPRAH - GAVE ME THIS COUPON SO GIMME MY DAMN CHICKEN DAMMIT. :rant:

HolioArtillery
May 7, 2009, 07:07 PM
I recently noticed one of those idiot tabloid magazines that's nothing but a bunch of lies/jokes during a check-out from a grovery store. On the cover it was proclaiming Oprah had some life-threatening illness that led her to have surgery (which she hid from the public) but that she was still faced with a small amount of time to live anyways. I couldn't help but wish that for once the stupid 'zine would be telling the truth.

Leviathan
May 7, 2009, 07:17 PM
You're just jealous because you didn't get a free meal. :razz:

Inazuma
May 7, 2009, 07:19 PM
Sigh...

Free chicken lunch is nice but if you have to wait a long time for it, or go through so much trouble, it's just not worth it. How pathetic does someone need to be to wait in traffic for an hour just to save $5. I guess Oprah forgot that most people are mindless idiots. Or maybe this was a simple publicity stunt.

Also, isn't there some kind of law against stopping your car in normal roads and just sitting there? The cops should have come and handed out tickets to all the fuckers who thought it was perfectly fine to hold up traffic for thousands of people just to save $5. Bunch of selfish assholes.

There is a very popular fast food place across the street from my office and every single day around lunch time, the drive-thru lane extends all the way into the regular roads. I see cars just stopped there, holding up traffic for others. Pisses me off. I'd like to eat there myself but unlike them, I feel that it's wrong to hold up traffic just to get lunch. There are plenty of other fast food places close by.

Kard
May 7, 2009, 07:20 PM
It's almost as if you can't feed your kids because Popeye's ran out of chicken!

...oh, wait...wrong black stereotype story. :<

jShazBot
May 7, 2009, 07:59 PM
Complete shenanigans...

Nitro Vordex
May 7, 2009, 08:33 PM
Free chicken lunch is nice but if you have to wait a long time for it, or go through so much trouble, it's just not worth it. How pathetic does someone need to be to wait in traffic for an hour just to save $5. I guess Oprah forgot that most people are mindless idiots. Or maybe this was a simple publicity stunt.

Also, isn't there some kind of law against stopping your car in normal roads and just sitting there? The cops should have come and handed out tickets to all the fuckers who thought it was perfectly fine to hold up traffic for thousands of people just to save $5. Bunch of selfish assholes.

There is a very popular fast food place across the street from my office and every single day around lunch time, the drive-thru lane extends all the way into the regular roads. I see cars just stopped there, holding up traffic for others. Pisses me off. I'd like to eat there myself but unlike them, I feel that it's wrong to hold up traffic just to get lunch. There are plenty of other fast food places close by.
The one and probably only time I agree with you.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
May 7, 2009, 09:15 PM
AAAAAHAHAHAHA! I could so do it. But I don't want to. Oh god. This is freakin hilarious! "Oh lawd I gots to have my free chicken! Lord help me I'll shank the next motha f**ker that tries to cut in line!". Trust me kids, the new grilled chicken is about as tasty as sweaty gym socks. It sucks big time. Its not even worth it. If I wanted grilled chicken I'll make it myself. I'll just fire up the grill, throw a little sea salt and cracked pepper on it, maybe a little butter, then let it grill for a few minutes, then i'll slather some BBQ sauce on that sucker. The THICK kind. F*ck yea I make better chicken then any of them f*cks do. I be the Grill King...bitches! My white ass can cook!

As for Oprah and her legion of bored/fat/dumbass/all of the above housewives, they can jump in front of an oncoming subway train and be dragged down into the deep parts of Brooklyn for all I care. I don't care about her or her Army of DUUUUUUURP! because they're not bueatiful and unique snowflakes. Oh no! They're the same rancid filth as everyone else!

Solstis
May 7, 2009, 09:25 PM
There is apparently not a KFCs near me, since I saw no extreme traffic or hordes of people.

Popeye's is better, anyway.

HolioArtillery
May 7, 2009, 09:36 PM

Tell you what, why don't you go ask the no doubt underfunded police department to loan you a knight stick and ticketing rights so you can go ticket people who are rioting over not saving $5 dollars. The ticket is only going to cost them, say, 75, 90, maybe even in the 100s of dollars depending on locations. Then you can get back to the Police on how you dealt with a mob of a 100 pissed off people that wrecked shit and harrased the hell out of clientelle for only $5 bucks, and how you dealt with their reaction to you charging them who knows how many times more. Maybe the police department could learn something from you.

OH WAIT

Seriously, cut the guys some slack. When you deal with masses that big you typically have to bring in a specialized unit that's state or federal, not a local police dept that would give out tickets. But they're not gonna send out the big guy, 'cause, well, lets imagine the headlines.

SWAT TEAM TEAR GASSES RIOTERS OVER $5 DOLLAR CHICKEN!

Just go with the flow and blame oprah and her asshole followers for this one.

Powder Keg
May 7, 2009, 10:22 PM
Holy shit, if people waited in a line that was out of at least the parking lot, then they need to be struck with a blunt object. Free or not...

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
May 7, 2009, 10:32 PM
Holy shit, if people waited in a line that was out of at least the parking lot, then they need to be struck with a blunt object. Free or not...

Seriously, if I see a long line like that I just keep going. I ain't waiting in no line for an hour for no rank chicken!

Rasputin
May 7, 2009, 11:15 PM
As a college student, I will gladly take any free meal I can get. Thank you, Oprah. Good thing my KFC doesn't have a drive-thru.

Mizari
May 7, 2009, 11:48 PM
Just go with the flow and blame oprah and her asshole followers for this one.
...I think that's what Inazuma was doing. The "selfish assholes" referring to the people who wanted free chicken, not the cops.

HolioArtillery
May 7, 2009, 11:54 PM
...I think that's what Inazuma was doing. The "selfish assholes" referring to the people who wanted free chicken, not the cops.
I'd say both. Considering his entire middle paragraph talked about the law, and the cops specifically doing something about it. If it weren't 1/3rd of his message I would buy that, but it is.

Mizari
May 8, 2009, 12:09 AM
I'd say both. Considering his entire middle paragraph talked about the law, and the cops specifically doing something about it. If it weren't 1/3rd of his message I would buy that, but it is.Well, you know, I took that paragraph as, "those idiots deserved tickets, who the hell blocks traffic to get free chicken?" rather than, "those stupid cops, why didn't they do something?" I think we're all in agreement that free fast food publicity stunts are something that publicly funded law enforcement should not have to get involved with. Sadly (pathetically) things just about escalated to that point. Once again, THANKS OPRAH.

HolioArtillery
May 8, 2009, 12:47 AM
Well, you know, I took that paragraph as, "those idiots deserved tickets, who the hell blocks traffic to get free chicken?" rather than, "those stupid cops, why didn't they do something?" I think we're all in agreement that free fast food publicity stunts are something that publicly funded law enforcement should not have to get involved with. Sadly (pathetically) things just about escalated to that point. Once again, THANKS OPRAH.

I would have taken that way as well if he hadn't said the sentence about it being a law and such. To me it comes off as "We have this law here, why the hell isn't it serving its purpose."

At this point though it's a moot issue. Either one of our interpretations could be right. And I don't particularly care if you're the right one, because my stance on the fact cops get more BS then they deserve sometimes still stands in general. If Inazuma take it personally he was used to put the point across, that's really his problem. Any sane person shouldn't be giving much of a damn about what a single random guy over the internet thinks of them anyways.

The important thing is, we all agree OPRAH SUCKS.

AC9breaker
May 8, 2009, 12:50 AM
KFCS CLOSED AIDS

BlaizeYES
May 8, 2009, 02:08 AM
lol yea... well something similar to this has happened up in michigan last year when they built a new sonics restaurant in a populated tri-county area where "sonics" was only urban legend. an old friend of mine said that there was a large line of cars "stretching all the way down the highway." sometimes you need to see these things with your own eyes to believe the fast food anarchy. its like mcdonalds BEANIE BABIES ALL OVER AGAIN.

but anyway, go to oprah's site and look at the conditions...

www.oprah.com/kfc/

"not redeemable on mother's day"

well jesus at least they got that out of the way. so much for having someones mom meet them at the local kfc for some fine dining on sunday lol

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
May 8, 2009, 11:43 AM
I still can't wrap my brain around this. Why would you go bat-sh*t insane over fast food? Sure its free but Jesus Tap Dancing Christ don't cause anarchy over it! All I can do is just look and shake my head in disgust. People, I swear to god.

Leviathan
May 8, 2009, 03:30 PM
I still can't wrap my brain around this. Why would you go bat-sh*t insane over fast food? Sure its free but Jesus Tap Dancing Christ don't cause anarchy over it! All I can do is just look and shake my head in disgust. People, I swear to god.

Sure its free but Jesus Tap Dancing Christ don't cause anarchy over it!

Sure its free but Jesus Tap Dancing Christ

Sure its free

free

I found the answer.
Well of course people are going to clamor over it. It was available to everyone that has a printer and a computer. And was made possible by someone who gives things away frequently.

If anything I could see this from far away.

Kent
May 8, 2009, 03:43 PM
You know, that grilled chicken at KFC? It's actually not bad. In my experience however, KFCs seem to greatly vary in quality per location - one nearby is actually kinda bad... but a few towns over? I don't know what they're doing differently, but it's surprisingly good.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
May 8, 2009, 03:53 PM
I found the answer.
Well of course people are going to clamor over it. It was available to everyone that has a printer and a computer. And was made possible by someone who gives things away frequently.

If anything I could see this from far away.

Ahhh there we go. That wonderful word "free". Oh and Kent, someone must be doing something horribly wrong at the KFC by me because the grilled chicken tastes god awful. Its all dry and tasteless.

Kent
May 8, 2009, 04:03 PM
Ahhh there we go. That wonderful word "free". Oh and Kent, someone must be doing something horribly wrong at the KFC by me because the grilled chicken tastes god awful. Its all dry and tasteless.
Yeesh. That sucks (and sounds like Popeye's chicken). The (good) one that I've been to, somehow, makes it with just the right amount of moisture intact - it doesn't get dry, but it isn't greaselogged, either.

Unit D79
May 9, 2009, 12:23 AM
^reminds me of my zaxby's.

for some unknown reason, they only get my order right on tuesdays...
the day the white guy normally works the window...
i really should pass him a tip or something...