PDA

View Full Version : PSIV insta-kill monster

voodlar
May 8, 2009, 01:25 PM
Just wondering if anyone noticed that a 3rd generation (I don't think you'll meet them in the 2nd) character's quest involves a monster who seems to only have one regular attack and it is insta-kill. Near the end of the first gen quest, you see that giant lizard-like slasher standing in the back. He wags the ball on his tail for a glorious attack. Well, in the 3rd gen, when you are on Aridia: his 3rd version which I believe is called Gnasher and is pinkish/white, does that as his only attack and it kills someone without fail and doesn't miss.

I had a group of monsters get the jump on me as they sometimes do. There were 2 gnashers in the back. With their free first round shots, they took out Sean (the main) and Wren. Wouldn't you know they must have rolled a ridiculous initiative save and went early in the next round taking out 2 more chars. Eventually one of them cleaned up the last char in the next round. That was humbling for a PS veteran (far from my first time playing the game) but nonetheless unavoidable -- oh well.

Omega_Weltall
May 8, 2009, 10:52 PM
you mean PS3... but ya i know that asshole... 1shoted many of my party members

voodlar
May 9, 2009, 04:08 PM
Yes I did mean PSIII --- good calll -- sorry. Hate when someone keeps trying to talk to you when they see you are busy typing. - good excuse?

Omega_Weltall
May 11, 2009, 08:48 AM
heh ya, one time i came out of one dungeon (i forget which one, this was in 1993 er something) but i was already hiring coming out of it, got in a fight with one of them. they killed Ayn, Meiu, Laya, didn't get Sari yet. All that was left was Wren. thank god you can cast Rever even when dead (not in battle though)

The Starbird
May 11, 2009, 08:17 PM
Just wondering if anyone noticed that a 3rd generation (I don't think you'll meet them in the 2nd) character's quest involves a monster who seems to only have one regular attack and it is insta-kill. Near the end of the first gen quest, you see that giant lizard-like slasher standing in the back. He wags the ball on his tail for a glorious attack. Well, in the 3rd gen, when you are on Aridia: his 3rd version which I believe is called Gnasher and is pinkish/white, does that as his only attack and it kills someone without fail and doesn't miss.

I had a group of monsters get the jump on me as they sometimes do. There were 2 gnashers in the back. With their free first round shots, they took out Sean (the main) and Wren. Wouldn't you know they must have rolled a ridiculous initiative save and went early in the next round taking out 2 more chars. Eventually one of them cleaned up the last char in the next round. That was humbling for a PS veteran (far from my first time playing the game) but nonetheless unavoidable -- oh well.

Yeah, Gnashers have a very high attack power and can OTK a character very easily. The upside is that their HP is incredibly low, so if you had a strong Tech caster, a shot with Zan would take them out. (if you had Sean and Wren, then you'd have to rely on Kara, but that version of Kara has a meaner slicer attack than casting). But being a vet, you are well aware of that.

Gnashers do use Gra sometimes, which won't kill you... but man, you musta had some bad luck there. I also believe there is a Cyborg that can do that as well (I think it is the Doomfly, who actually has the same color palette as the Gnasher, the gray and purple theme and also has the lowest HP of the class) but again, I cannot remember.

Sharkyland
May 30, 2010, 12:16 PM
I do not remember seeing this enemy from the numerous times I've played this game. (this game really needs more save slots)