PDA

View Full Version : Xbox got RRoD this morning! D:

jShazBot
May 9, 2009, 06:12 PM
So yeah..title pretty much explains it all.
I was beggining to think my Halo 3 edition Xbox 360 was RRoD proof because it almost lasted 2 years. :/ Got it September 26, 2007 one day after Halo 3 came out.
Anywho, shouldn't an error message show up on your TV when you turn your RRoD'ed xbox on? Because when I turn it on, nothing shows up on my TV.
And what exactly is this "Towel Trick"? I heard it actually gives your Xbox some more like for a few more days, but I also heard it can actually damage your Xbox even more because all your doing is overheating it.
And is the warranty only 1 year? T_T
Any other advice on how to deal with this?
Thanks.

Nitro Vordex
May 9, 2009, 08:00 PM
Better make sure you've actually got RRoD.

And make sure it's plugged in.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?ID=907534&lcid=1033&category=hardware

Check that before you freak out.

joefro
May 9, 2009, 08:20 PM
I seriously doubt it's the actual "RROD." Check and make sure its plugged in right, it gives you the same lights when the a/v cable isn't working. I had a Falcon based 360, the Halo 3 one like you have. Supposedly they don't RROD. I just lost mine to the two red lights, aka overheating. It was 150 to fix, officially, so I just bought a Jasper for 200. I'm not saying that yours can't RROD, it is just unlikely. If it did though, you are still under warranty. The RROD is covered for 3 years, as is E74. So, just call 1-800-4MY-XBOX or check online like Nitro said.

Randomness
May 9, 2009, 09:06 PM
Better make sure you've actually got RRoD.

And make sure it's plugged in.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?ID=907534&lcid=1033&category=hardware

Check that before you freak out.

My brother panicked a couple weeks ago like that.

I told him to turn it on again. It worked.

jShazBot
May 9, 2009, 09:45 PM
I seriously doubt it's the actual "RROD." Check and make sure its plugged in right, it gives you the same lights when the a/v cable isn't working. I had a Falcon based 360, the Halo 3 one like you have. Supposedly they don't RROD. I just lost mine to the two red lights, aka overheating. It was 150 to fix, officially, so I just bought a Jasper for 200. I'm not saying that yours can't RROD, it is just unlikely. If it did though, you are still under warranty. The RROD is covered for 3 years, as is E74. So, just call 1-800-4MY-XBOX or check online like Nitro said.

Yeah I tried a different AV cable. Still RROD. Though I haven't tried a different power strip yet. And I to thought the Halo 3 edition Xbox 360's were RROD proof because it was Falcon based. Perhaps I have the first Halo 3 Xbox to actually RROD, or maybe alot of other Halo 3 Xbox's will RROD around this time as well..o_O
My Xbox 360 is played in a pretty cramped up spot and I know it doesn't have much breathing space...But it was this morning it RROD'ed and I had only been playing it for about 15 mins. Before I actually got the RROD it was working unusually slower than normal it kept freezing up when I tried to load things like my Halo 3 maps or when a friend logged on and the notification popped up on the bottom.
Still nothing will show up on my TV when I turn on my Xbox though... No error message. Nothing.
Just the 3 ominous red semi circles light up on my Xbox 360's ring of light when I power up the console.

Kent
May 9, 2009, 10:20 PM
Anywho, shouldn't an error message show up on your TV when you turn your RRoD'ed xbox on? Because when I turn it on, nothing shows up on my TV.

Red Ring of Death has no error message, except for the fact that there are three blinking red lights when turned on (the player 2 sector does not blink). There will be no output to the screen.

And what exactly is this "Towel Trick"? I heard it actually gives your Xbox some more like for a few more days, but I also heard it can actually damage your Xbox even more because all your doing is overheating it.
The "towel trick" is done by wrapping your Xbox 360 in towels (so as to prevent ventilation), thusly increasing the internal temperature. The idea is that, since the Red Ring of Death is caused by what is essentially the GPU's connectors melting, the theory is that you can "re-melt" the connectors back into place by giving it enough heat. Needless to say, it doesn't actually work.

And is the warranty only 1 year? T_T
Any other advice on how to deal with this?
Thanks.
The normal Xbox 360 Warranty is one year long, yes - however, there's an extended warranty that applies specifically to the Red Ring of Death that is in effect for three years. Your 360 is covered from the Red Ring of Death until September 26th of 2010.

The way to go about getting your Xbox 360 repaired/replaced is to go to http://support.xbox.com, sign in, and click Repair Your Console. From there you can request that they send you a box in which you can send your console back to their repair center, and in a couple weeks you'll have your repaired/refurbished/replaced console.

Additionally, if the website's not doing what it needs to for whatever reason (this happened to me once), you can call 1-800-4MYXBOX and talk to a person directly, though there's a chance they may be from India.

Though it's quite likely that your Xbox 360 needs to be sent in, there are a few things you can try in the meantime - such as starting up without the hard drive, fully unplugging the system (AV, power, network), and the such... But it's unlikely that your system doing this was a fluke.

amtalx
May 11, 2009, 08:48 AM
It should also be said that E74 is covered by the extended 3yr warranty now.

Pwincess
May 11, 2009, 04:21 PM
I've heard that you can put your xbox 360 in an oven at a low tempature to fix this problem, and it's worked for someone before... I just don't recommend it!

Kent
May 11, 2009, 04:37 PM
I've heard that you can put your xbox 360 in an oven at a low tempature to fix this problem, and it's worked for someone before... I just don't recommend it!
I think ovens are better-suited to making cheesecake, personally. Especially being that this isn't going to do anything positive to your 360 (and will probably be even more damaging than the "towel trick").

Rubius-sama
May 11, 2009, 05:14 PM
Believe it or not, fixing the RROD involves something similar to the towel trick (as the last step of the repair). I fix RRODs when I get my hands on broken Xbox consoles, then sell them.

There's no point in the towel trick as it'll only give you a few more days of gameplay at the potential risk of damaging the system board. Small risk, but still a risk.

Falcons are a lot less susceptible to RROD, but can still get them if it doesn't get proper ventilation. I bought my Zephyr Elite when Halo 3 came out and it's still good, since I take care of it. I have it on a rack with holes in the bottom of the tray, and I lay it horizontally. Vertical is a bad idea due to the effects of gravity on the CPU/GPU.

How sure are you that it's a Falcon? The power supply needs to have a 175W rating for it to be a Falcon.

Leviathan
May 11, 2009, 05:19 PM

Did you read this from 4chan?

joefro
May 11, 2009, 05:35 PM
How sure are you that it's a Falcon? The power supply needs to have a 175W rating for it to be a Falcon.

I'm not sure what kind of power supply it has, but it is different from the launch 360 cable. To my knowledge all H3 Xbox 360 are Falcon based.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/cooler/xbox-360-falcon-chips-have-landed-305370.php

I'm pretty sure that all 360 are Jasper based now, with the different power cord. Also, Jasper 360 consoles are super-super quiet. I can't even hear mine when I play games.

jShazBot
May 11, 2009, 06:58 PM
I'm not sure what kind of power supply it has, but it is different from the launch 360 cable. To my knowledge all H3 Xbox 360 are Falcon based.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/cooler/xbox-360-falcon-chips-have-landed-305370.php

I'm pretty sure that all 360 are Jasper based now, with the different power cord. Also, Jasper 360 consoles are super-super quiet. I can't even hear mine when I play games.

The Halo 3 Xbox's aren't the only ones that have Falcon, right? And now all Xbox 360's are Jasper? Are they really that quiet?
You think, since I'll probably be shipping in my Halo 3 edition Xbox, I can request an elite replacement rather than the white Xbox? I mean, it's not like I'm gonna be getting the 120 gb harddrvie, just the Xbox.

joefro
May 11, 2009, 07:06 PM
They will send you your Halo 3 one back.

amtalx
May 12, 2009, 10:58 AM
Its kind of a crapshoot. They don't actually send back your same console. They throw your broken 360 in the "to be fixed" pile and ship you one from the refurb pile. Hopefully they will send you the same Halo 3 edition you sent in.

And quiet is a relative term... Its orders of magnitude better than my launch 360 but it still significantly louder than my PS3. Its still really loud when it spins up the disc to find out whats in the tray. Installing game mitigates this though.