PDA

View Full Version : Remember Beyond Good and Evil?

Leviathan
May 9, 2009, 11:40 PM
Nope? Yes? Well the new Beyond Good and Evil [One of my favorite games ever!] game is due to come out soon.
And boy does it look good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6R6EN-soJ0

SpikeOtacon
May 10, 2009, 12:03 AM
It looks amazing. So fluid. Though I have a feeling this is like the Killzone 2 trailer that first came out: More of a target they're aiming for than real footage.

Leviathan
May 10, 2009, 12:06 AM
+1 reason to get an Xbox 360 or PS3.

joefro
May 10, 2009, 12:27 AM
So, the point of the game is to avoid combat? Count me in! I never played the first one but I wanna play this, hopefully I can just jump into bg&e2.

stukasa
May 10, 2009, 03:08 AM
I have the first game, it was really fun. ^^ I'll probably get this one when it comes out too. I wish that trailer was actual game footage! Somehow I'm a little skeptical though.

Split
May 10, 2009, 10:42 AM
That looks a lot different from the first one...hopefully this is actual footage and not CG, but I kind of think it's the latter.

SStrikerR
May 10, 2009, 10:46 AM
Honestly, I think the game will not look like this. Remember madden 06?
Look up the difference between the E3 trailer and the actual game.

The game looks good, but I doubt it'll end up looking like that. If it does though, that would be pretty cool.

Outrider
May 10, 2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah, it looks pretty awesome, even though it's probably just target footage. It strongly reminds me of the scene in the original where you're running through town dodging the cops (towards the end of the game, I think).

It hurts me a little bit to see how it's lost some of its cartoon flair (the first game had gorgeous art design), but if the switch allows them to make the sequel and maybe even sell a few more copies, I can totally live with it.

For anybody wanting to try the original, it's like $10 at most places. It takes a little while to get into, but it totally won me over in the long run.

Cracka_J
May 10, 2009, 01:39 PM
wowzerz, looks more like a 3rd person sequel to mirror's edge then bg&e.
I never played through the first, but heard it acclaimed by a lot of friends...I should probably pick it up one of these days if I see it in a bargain bin.

looks incredible, definitely one to watch.

Kent
May 10, 2009, 04:32 PM
Right. On that flying vehicle at the end of the clip... Does it bother anyone else that with the way the propeller units rotate to make it move forward, it should actually be moving backwards?

I mean, for it to work the way it does, the propellers would have to stop and reverse their rotation... That, or the propellers as they are when the vehicle is hovering, would actually be pushing it downward.

Leviathan
May 10, 2009, 04:43 PM
Right. On that flying vehicle at the end of the clip... Does it bother anyone else that with the way the propeller units rotate to make it move forward, it should actually be moving backwards?

I mean, for it to work the way it does, the propellers would have to stop and reverse their rotation... That, or the propellers as they are when the vehicle is hovering, would actually be pushing it downward.

Probably from Mammago's Garage. [Notice the colors, I think I remembered that they fixed things so maybe they built it wrong?] Well that's what I think, but I may be trying to make a big deal out of something small.

Weeaboolits
May 10, 2009, 05:51 PM
he meant the way they turned it to go forward should have launched them backward instead, unless the props managed to instantly reverse their spin.

Niered
May 10, 2009, 06:44 PM
Such an awesome little game. Great story, and some really fun characters.

More importantly?

One.
Button.
Combat.

And not that shitty kind either, the kind that you actually had to learn! Button timing, and directional presses made it interesting.

Oh and photography EXP system before Dead Rising. Freakin' awesome.

Randomness
May 10, 2009, 09:23 PM
Rented the first. Was awesome, though I never finished that last level.

And the game was actually challenging, and required serious thought at times to sneak by the guards.

Kent
May 10, 2009, 09:38 PM
he meant the way they turned it to go forward should have launched them backward instead, unless the props managed to instantly reverse their spin.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6684/beyondgoodandeviltargetf.gif

Shadowpawn
May 10, 2009, 09:49 PM
It don't think this game is trying to be realistic. If it were then she should have never been able to make that jump to the helicopter.

Leviathan
May 10, 2009, 10:37 PM
Why are we talking about the propeller?
This is a game, not a physic's problem. :disapprove:

Sinue_v2
May 10, 2009, 11:53 PM
Not really digging the Laura Croft Raider of Good & Evil angle they're going for. I didn't notice any of the other races in this preview or the imaginative architecture/art design. Looks like it has a lot of potential, but it also looks like a good portion of what made it such a unique and enjoyable game could be squandered in the name of making a more mainstream title.

Beyond Good & Evil ranks up there in my book as one of the best games of last generation from a design and story angle, and I'd hate to see that spirit lost.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard news about a possible final game in the The Longest Journey trilogy? Dreamfall was another classic of last gen which, along with BG&E, didn't get nearly the attention it deserved. I wouldn't mind waiting until next gen for it, so long as I knew it was coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WQL4bWaFbs

Outrider
May 11, 2009, 10:42 AM
Regarding propeller motion:

http://nerdarama.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ogre.jpg

Ahem.

Anyway - Yeah, it hurts a little bit to see a relatively realistic city filled with regular old humans, but I'd be shocked if they got rid of all the different races. We know Pey'j is still in it (at least, he appeared in the original teaser trailer). If they've already got one pigman, throwing in other animal people shouldn't throw off newcomers too much.

Zarode
May 11, 2009, 10:47 AM
My big question is, will I have to play the first game to understand what is going on?

That will probably be answered later on. Also, I loved PoP 2008, even if it was short. Ubisoft knows how to yank my chain. <3 This game looks neat.

Niered
May 11, 2009, 02:08 PM
My big question is, will I have to play the first game to understand what is going on?

That will probably be answered later on. Also, I loved PoP 2008, even if it was short. Ubisoft knows how to yank my chain. <3 This game looks neat.

If you can find it, it was released for all 3 last gen systems and its only like 15 bucks at most. Considerably less if you dont get it from Gamestop. Its not that long either, maybe 15-20 hours. So you should buy it, if only to own one of the great unsung games of last gen.

And while your at it, buy Metal Arms. Because somebody needs to make that game a fucking sequel cuz it was twice the game any other 3rd person shooter/adventure game was at the time.