PDA

View Full Version : Shin Megami Tensei anyone?

PwNeR
May 11, 2009, 11:20 AM
Anybody ever play this RPG or one of its spin-offs?

Shadowpawn
May 11, 2009, 12:33 PM
I played a bit of the original and Nocturne. I owned Digital Devil Saga but I never got around to playing it. Nocturne was hard as hell but it was fun.

Outrider
May 11, 2009, 02:04 PM
I've got Persona 4. It's fun (though the school & social stuff is way more entertaining than the dungeon crawling to me), but I simply don't have the time to play through it.

I haven't played in a long while - maybe next time I've got a long weekend or something.

Puppet_Papaya
May 16, 2009, 02:27 AM
I enjoyed watching my sister play Persona 3 so much that I got P4 when it came out. Love it but havn't had the time to finish it yet. I also played SMT Imagine Online for a short time. It was alright.

UnderscoreX
May 16, 2009, 09:39 AM
They're only the best games ever.

I own/beat all the PS2 games and am desperately waiting for Persona PSP to come out in English already.

AC9breaker
May 17, 2009, 05:39 AM
Isn't there one coming out for the DS too? It's seems interesting enough. Anyone know about it? Was thinking of looking into it myself someday. But I've never played any of Shin Megami games before. Is it like the Japanese Tom Clancy or are all the games somehow all connected?

Yueri
May 17, 2009, 06:17 AM
I've tried out most of the english translated ones.
Sold Nocturne just before I finished it, since I needed money.
But I agree on that it's hard!

Digital Devil Saga seems very nice, I never finished those...
I sold them off as well, before finishing. I'm aming to get them again soon though.

Persona 3 and 4 is just excellent!
Haven't gotten far in Persona 1 or 2 though; PSX games isn't easy to play, being used to PS2 and such...
It's a shame.

Isn't there one coming out for the DS too? It's seems interesting enough. Anyone know about it? Was thinking of looking into it myself someday. But I've never played any of Shin Megami games before. Is it like the Japanese Tom Clancy or are all the games somehow all connected?

Devil Summoner. It will be out for DS this fall, I think...
I'm definatly getting that!

But no, they aren't really related.
The monsters and names of spells/skills/items and such are the only thing.
Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 of course are, just like and Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES (the answer), but the rest... no.

Tyreek
May 18, 2009, 05:32 PM
Persona 3 and 4 I both own and beat. And Devil Summoner was the first game that got me into the series, since my roommate bought that game a year ago. I fell in love witht that series after seeing it and hope to find the copy. Now there's Devil Summoner 2... >>

Nitro Vordex
May 18, 2009, 06:24 PM
I played one of the online ones (don't remember which one) and it was horrible.

Combat felt like a grind, nothing remotely fun. Click and let it do the rest. And even with interaction from the buttons, it still felt like Pokemon with an electronic trading card game/Megaman Battle Network.

Graphics were okay, though they seem really clipped. I have to admit the best part was capturing the monsters, but only because they said really awesome things.

YOU TALKIN'...TO MEEEEEE?!?!?!

Inazuma
May 19, 2009, 07:24 PM
The only megaten games I have are on Famicom and Mega CD but I haven't had time to play them. I've seen videos of the Persona series and it really looks awesome. One of these days I will get around to playing all the old games I missed out on (mostly the fault of PSO/PSU).

UnderscoreX
May 20, 2009, 12:00 AM

It's like Final Fantasy, the spells have the same names, similar enemies but they all have seperate stories which aren't conected unless specified.

And the DS game is like a spinoff of a spinoff, it's weird but looks alright.

A good starting point for the series is Persona 4 as it's probably the easiest in the modern series and the games are haaaaaaard.

SubstanceD
May 20, 2009, 09:07 AM
I own Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 and Persona 3 and 4. I like the Shin Megami Tensei games ( at least the ones I have played ) although I think they can tend to be rather unfriendly to gamers who don't play alot of rpg's. I also think they can be very time consuming games to complete.

Weeaboolits
May 21, 2009, 06:24 AM
I played Imagine, which was alright, they could have increased the movement speed a bit, also the teleport spell was utterly worthless, what in the hell could have possessed them to give it a THIRTY MINUTE casting time is beyond me.

Also, Nitru, welcome to the wonderful world of MMOs, where you have to use that weird little thing that sits on the pad next to your keyboard.

Outrider
May 21, 2009, 09:01 AM
Also, Nitru, welcome to the wonderful world of MMOs, where you have to use that weird little thing that sits on the pad next to your keyboard.

If he wasn't using his mouse, I'm curious as to what he was "clicking" to battle enemies.

PwNeR
May 21, 2009, 01:18 PM
It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who completely loves this series.
But back on topic, I've beaten Persona 3FES, 4, Digital Devil Saga 2 (wish I could get my hands on the first one though...), and Devil Summoner (the one for PS2). I'm currently playing Devil Summoner 2 (and loving it!). Can't wait for Persona for PSP and Devil Survivor (DS).

AC9breaker
May 21, 2009, 03:14 PM
If he wasn't using his mouse, I'm curious as to what he was "clicking" to battle enemies.

You ever notice that when computer users or hackers are represented in movies they only show them typing with the loud sound of keyboard keys? Like *tktktktktktktktk* "OKAY I GOT IT! IM IN THE SYSTEM"

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
May 21, 2009, 03:24 PM
I've played Persona 1-4, SMT Imagine, SMT Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, SMT Nocturne (still my absolute favorite), but I haven't played Devil Summoner. Hmmm guess I should get my ass in gear.