PDA

View Full Version : Games within Video Games

Kylie
May 15, 2009, 08:32 PM
Are there any mini-games you enjoyed more than the actual game they were in?

Kard
May 15, 2009, 08:43 PM
I can't think of any I enjoyed more than the actual game; but I sure as hell loved Breath of Fire III's fishing mini-game. Sometimes I'd just fish for what seemed like forever and forget about where I was headed next.

In Legend of Legaia there was this arcade machine with a fighting game called 'Baka Fighter!' It was sporty little rock-paper-scissors guessing game, but was fun as hell. I also enjoyed Noa's dancing competition. <3

Hopefully one day I'll play a game so bad that I can provide an appropriate answer in this thread. XD

CupOfCoffee
May 15, 2009, 08:44 PM
YES! Remember DK64? (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't.) It had a minecart driving game in it that rocked a lot harder than anything else you could do with that cartridge in the N64.

Sayara
May 15, 2009, 09:23 PM
More so, playing Rocketman and Donkey kong on DK64 was good fun too

グレッグ
May 15, 2009, 09:27 PM
In Project Gotham Racing 2. If you walked around in the garage you could play geometry wars. It wasn't great but people played it and it caught on.

By the time Project gotham racing 3 was released, they actually released Geometry wars 2 inside of the newest PGR installment. Geometry wars became SO popular over the course of PGR 2 to PGR 3, they actually released it on xbox live arcade.

jShazBot
May 15, 2009, 09:58 PM
Timesplitters 2. If you played the Story mode on hard there were 3 hidden cartridges throughout the game which were all mini-games you could play if your pressed Y while you had your temporal uplink out. My brothers and friends and I played the shit out of Astrolander and Anaconda for hours. Sometimes soo much we would forget we were playing a full fledged 3d FPS game.

SpikeOtacon
May 15, 2009, 10:19 PM
Timesplitters 2. If you played the Story mode on hard there were 3 hidden cartridges throughout the game which were all mini-games you could play if your pressed Y while you had your temporal uplink out. My brothers and friends and I played the shit out of Astrolander and Anaconda for hours. Sometimes soo much we would forget we were playing a full fledged 3d FPS game.

That's the exact thing I thought of.

Split
May 15, 2009, 10:26 PM
MGS3 had this nasty hack n slash game that happened during Big Boss's dream sequence while he was imprisoned. I heard they were going to make it into a full game with a story and everything

SStrikerR
May 15, 2009, 10:30 PM
Does mercs in RE5 count?

Dek
May 15, 2009, 10:32 PM
Beetlemania!

from Super Mario RPG.

That was the shit!

beatrixkiddo
May 15, 2009, 10:49 PM
The dungeoncrawl RPG in Ehrgeiz springs to mind.

Kent
May 15, 2009, 11:39 PM
Puzzle Kombat. Partially because all of the Mortal Kombat games after they went 3D suck all kinds of ass, but mostly because it was a Puzzle Fighter rip-off.

...And Puzzle Fighter is made of awesome.

joefro
May 16, 2009, 12:24 AM
Its not really a mini game, or game at all, but I liked the story within the Marathon terminals in Halo 3. They were strange mysterious devices at first, which ultimately held lots of juicy Forerunner information. Not that I didn't enjoy Halo 3's campaign, the terminals were just perfect complements to the already amazing story.

On second thought, does Mario Party count? Cause the mini games were a helluva lot funner than the main board game aspect of the game.

Leviathan
May 16, 2009, 12:44 AM
Animal Crossing on the Gamecube had a bunch of NES games you cold play.
I like Excitebike the best and Tennis.

Balloon Fight was blah.

beatrixkiddo
May 16, 2009, 12:49 AM
Animal Crossing on the Gamecube had a bunch of NES games you cold play.
I like Excitebike the best and Tennis.

Balloon Fight was the best.

Fixed!

hyperacute
May 16, 2009, 05:34 AM
All the old Sega arcade games in Shenmue and Shenmue II, far more fun than looking for sailors.

AC9breaker
May 16, 2009, 06:23 AM
The Ace Attorney games used to be my favorite games whenever I played Final Fantasy 11
Also maybe this is off topic. idk
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2311359#post2311359

Neith
May 16, 2009, 06:53 AM
Geometry Wars in Project Gotham Racing 4. I'd play that more than the actual main game sometimes :lol:

UnderscoreX
May 16, 2009, 09:29 AM
Sudoku in Brain Age.

After the amount of time it's taken you to get bored of Brain Age (Read: a week) all you need is Sudoku.

opaopajr
May 16, 2009, 11:47 AM
the recycling game in Mick and Mac Global Gladiators. loved it, so addicting. oh, and this wouldn't be complete if no one mentioned Death Tank, ftw.

Kylie
May 16, 2009, 01:34 PM
All the Resident Evil ones, of course.

Mercs (RE5 and RE4)
Showdown (Outbreak File#2)
Elimination (Outbreak File#2)
Separate Ways (RE4)

Also, Maria's scenario in Silent Hill 2.

Shadowpawn
May 16, 2009, 01:43 PM
MGS3 had this nasty hack n slash game that happened during Big Boss's dream sequence while he was imprisoned. I heard they were going to make it into a full game with a story and everything

You mean Nightmare Creatures III:Angel of Darkness, there was a demo of it in MGS 3. Yeah, it never got made.

SStrikerR
May 16, 2009, 04:09 PM
All the Resident Evil ones, of course.

Mercs (RE5 and RE4)
Showdown (Outbreak File#2)
Elimination (Outbreak File#2)
Separate Ways (RE4)

Also, Maria's scenario in Silent Hill 2.

I liked mercs in 5 more than I liked the game, but I liked the main game of 4 more than mercs. Mercs in 4 was better than 5 though.

Sekani
May 16, 2009, 04:38 PM
Battle mode in Super Mario Bros. 3

Delete
May 16, 2009, 05:12 PM
The zombies mode game in Saints row 2 was kinda fun, not better than the game though.

Pwincess
May 16, 2009, 05:46 PM
I don't know the name of the game, but when you play Moto GP there was a bonus game you could play afterwards (After the credits).. I <3 it! I really wish I could remember what it was called >_<

Feelmirath
May 16, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World

:wacko:

NGX
May 16, 2009, 06:06 PM
Did no one here play FF VII? The Golden Saucer had tons of mini games in it, I'm suprised no one has mentioned it yet. Most of them were kinda blah but I loved the Submarine game. I also played the Snowboarding and Bike game like crazy.

Nai_Calus
May 16, 2009, 09:18 PM
You mean FFVII wasn't a chocobo breeding and racing game?

Shadowpawn
May 16, 2009, 09:54 PM
I was personally fond of Triple Triad, the card game from Final Fantasy 8.

GenGen
May 16, 2009, 10:00 PM
All of the mini games in Pokemon Stadium for N-64. xD

beatrixkiddo
May 16, 2009, 10:19 PM

They should have followed the saying "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" when they made the card game for 9....

sovalou
May 16, 2009, 11:28 PM
My favorite minigame inside of a game was the "arm wrestling" match in "monster hunter". It required massive button mashing and rotating between two different buttons. The moment you let up on one either buttons you began to lose. It was extremely painful when your opponent was a button mashing fiend, or a "turbo" controller user >_>.

Randomness
May 16, 2009, 11:49 PM
All of the mini games in Pokemon Stadium for N-64. xD

Excellent choice, lol.

For games-within-games being more fun... definitely Animal Crossing's NES games. That's about it.

Blitzkommando
May 17, 2009, 03:15 AM
Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 was the highlight of Doom 3.

SubstanceD
May 17, 2009, 05:55 AM
Did no one here play FF VII? The Golden Saucer had tons of mini games in it, I'm suprised no one has mentioned it yet. Most of them were kinda blah but I loved the Submarine game. I also played the Snowboarding and Bike game like crazy.

I was actually going to mention The Golden Saucer in FFVII ( specifically the Bike game and the Snowboarding, I had alot of fun with those two ). In general I don't really like mini games but I feel FFVII did it's mini games very well, it was also nice knowing that there was a designated place where I could go if I just wanted to take a break from the main game and mess about.

The arcade in Shenmue also springs to mind. I know Shenmue has alot of fans but I found the game to be very dull, to me the only good part of the game were the arcade games filled with old Sega classics.

グレッグ
May 17, 2009, 06:28 AM
My favorite minigame inside of a game was the "arm wrestling" match in "monster hunter". It required massive button mashing and rotating between two different buttons. The moment you let up on one either buttons you began to lose. It was extremely painful when your opponent was a button mashing fiend, or a "turbo" controller user >_>.

Are you talking about Monster Hunter, the Online RPG for PS2?

I played that game non-stop for a year, and I never once saw that mini-game.

:no:

Kent
May 17, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World

:wacko:
Best. Game. Ever.

NGX
May 17, 2009, 03:03 PM
You mean FFVII wasn't a chocobo breeding and racing game?

I actually had a lot of fun breeding and racing Chocobos. I got so good at it that I was able to breed a gold Chocobo from scratch in about two hours. ^_-

I hated that game, it's probably because I was terrible at it.