PDA

View Full Version : Could Tri-Ace develop the next Phantasy Star?

zandra117
May 20, 2009, 01:54 AM
Tri-Ace and SEGA recently announced that they are working together on a new game called Resonance of Fate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45dWKkpTsXo&fmt=22

Tri-Ace is well known for making a game series that is very very similar to Phantasy Star called Star Ocean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1cuzpIbpi8&fmt=22

Could Tri-Ace help develop the next Phantasy Star game for SEGA?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Thinking of an online Star Ocean game or a Phantasy Star with a Tri-Ace style fighting system blows my mind beyond awesomeness.:-o

グレッグ
May 20, 2009, 02:29 AM
Star Ocean isn't even out here in the UK yet. :(

Well anyway, we'll see what happens at E3 tbh.

Overlord Zenon
May 20, 2009, 03:00 AM
i dont think it would happen, usually the phantasy star games are handed either by sega itself, or sonic team, it would be neat to have a different developer tho

HyperShot-X-
May 20, 2009, 03:17 AM
me thought Tri-Ace used to be exclusive property owned by Square Enix, how's this even possible??

Carma
May 20, 2009, 03:19 AM
Maybe Tri-Ace would be ok. At least the last Star Ocean has a PSO/PSU feeling in it's character design from what I saw. And Tri-Ace are good when it comes to action-RPG.
I don't see that happen tho...

gum_on_shoe
May 20, 2009, 06:36 AM
No...

Zarode
May 20, 2009, 07:25 AM
Maybe Tri-Ace would be ok. At least the last Star Ocean has a PSO/PSU feeling in it's character design from what I saw. And Tri-Ace are good when it comes to action-RPG.
I don't see that happen tho...

Ahh, Star Ocean 4. AKA Anime Barbies in space! Lifeless voice actors, just as lifeless acting within the characters, over the top shit story (at least something with more than four people inside/existing within blows up, as per Star Ocean goes...).

If gameplay is all that is going for a game, then just throw away the story. You people really don't need a reason, a drive, a story to play a game; look at what you already play (PSU). Sure, I agree: Game's shouldn't just have good gameplay and have no story, but then again, most games have the story of a book drenched in water, with half the text oozing off.

PSO/PSU has nothing in relation even CLOSE to Star Ocean when it comes to design. Star Ocean is the Final Fantasy of space opera as Phantasy Star is the Dragon Quest to it. One does it right, the other does it ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sooooooooooooooooooo wrong.

That game looks like crap. The last good tri-Ace game I have played was Baten Kaitos Origins. That was a while ago...

I think Phantasy Star needs to step down. And tri-Ace too.

Criss
May 20, 2009, 07:33 AM
I think the ideal wouldn't be to have it developped by Tri-Ace, but to have a cooperation between Sonic Team and Tri-Ace. Keep ST's good old PS design, but call in Tri-Ace to help work with various gameplay elements like the combat system. Because if there's one thing that really was great in the Star Ocean games, it's the combat system.

Although I don't ever see ST opening up to anyone about Phantasy Star games, the fact that Tri-Ace works with Sega for Resonance of Fate means that there's the ever slight possibility of them helping with certain aspects of a PS game.

Both studios have some good ideas. Maybe together they could cover eachother's lackluster areas.

Zarode
May 20, 2009, 07:37 AM
Maybe together they could cover eachother's lackluster areas.

Likable and lifelike characters, with human characteristics and conflicts that make sense? Psh, that's so 1990's. :wacko: Kids are all about them power levels, and who's ninja leader they can be first.

Criss
May 20, 2009, 08:03 AM
Likable and lifelike characters, with human characteristics and conflicts that make sense? Psh, that's so 1990's. :wacko:
Ah, sorry. Nostalgia took over. :wacko:

Calsetes
May 20, 2009, 08:14 AM
I actually liked what I played of the new SO game. The only downside I could see is the fourth character you get, some little girl with literally no emotion (which is kind of plot-related). Aside from that, I think it could really work out if they helped develop a new PS game. Anywho, just my opinion.

landman
May 20, 2009, 09:40 AM
It's not like Sega asked Tri-Ace to make a game, but tri-Ace needing a producer/distributor and that was sega, tri-ase is not doing a sega game, they are doing their own game, so they can't possibly end doing a Phantasy Star game.

Cell132
May 20, 2009, 09:50 AM
Likable and lifelike characters, with human characteristics and conflicts that make sense? Psh, that's so 1990's. :wacko: Kids are all about them power levels, and who's ninja leader they can be first.

I agree. Sadly from what I've seen from PSU, and Star Ocean, they both lack in the same areas, so there's nothing to cover really. Now if you got a studio who had great scripts, the ability to animate and have characters emote in a believable way, and decent voice acting that doesn't give you the sudden urge to tape a character's moth shut, then that would work. Tho I'm speaking of if Tri-Ace partnered up.

If Sega partnered up, I'd have to suggest a few more things. A studio who is against multiplatform release, (PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 are okay, just nothing else.) Who can design likeable main characters you actually want to root for, basically a studio that would make the entire game for them.

Scratch that, have Sega buy them out so they can say it was made by them.

This is "What if" Though, of course.

pinkace
May 20, 2009, 11:39 AM
The combat in the new Star Ocean is absolutely not better than PSU. I can't believe you hate Sega so much that you would want to see our wonderful series made to be like every other game.

VertigoZero
May 20, 2009, 12:31 PM
I had more fun with PSUs combat sys more than SO4s. I own SO4 and i hate when your out of battle how far the camera is away from you. combat has the same camera but can be changed at least. i didnt really enjoy the combat till i got bacchus.

Calsetes
May 20, 2009, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I'd say keep the battle system from PSU (or an improved version of it, much like this was improved from PSO, in my opinion). Maybe just have the choreographer who did some of the cutscenes in Star Ocean do some of the ones in a new Phantasy Star. Either him, or the guy who did the ones for Onimusha 3 (especially that first cutscene, MAN that was awesome!).

PALRAPPYS
May 20, 2009, 02:55 PM
I thought I already posted in this thread but it's not here now?

Anyways what I said was SO was a great game, but PSU should have it's own battle system.

Zyrusticae
May 20, 2009, 02:59 PM
Bah, PS doesn't need a completely new battle system. All they need to do is take PSU and add in a dodging/blocking system. Hell, have your defensive ability be a PA for massive variety in combat technique. Now that would be fun.

...That said, some new writing talent certainly wouldn't hurt. But Tri-Ace certainly isn't the one to provide that.

Calsetes
May 20, 2009, 03:03 PM
Let's get the guy who wrote Onimusha to write the next one. Learning the history of feudal Japan was never so much fun! Even if it's 99.9999999999999% falsified with demons!

Tulio07
May 20, 2009, 03:36 PM
I don't think it would ever happen, but i would love it if it did.

Lunairetic
May 20, 2009, 03:53 PM
Every Star Ocean I've played horribly sucked. Please, for the love of God, no, do not combine the two. The story elements were atrocious and unbelievable, not to mention in SO3 they reused the same areas like three times each. Half the game was running from point A to point Z, which you'd already done 10-12 times before.

If they want a team to utilize in making a game with SEGA, use Valkyrie Profile's team. Strong characters, globe-spanning awesome plot-lines, interesting character designs (Except the newest VP: Covenant of the Plume. That artist really sucks.), great voice acting, and a unique battle system (Though I'd prefer they keep PSO/PSU's, its better for what its made for.). EVERYTHING that PSU lacks, pretty much.

VertigoZero
May 20, 2009, 05:42 PM
Bah, PS doesn't need a completely new battle system. All they need to do is take PSU and add in a dodging/blocking system. Hell, have your defensive ability be a PA for massive variety in combat technique.

Would be nice to be able to block in PSU sometimes. line shields dont block enough even with really high evasion. If they do make a new one i hope it is an improved version of PSUs with a blocking system put in.

zandra117
May 20, 2009, 06:53 PM
Every Star Ocean I've played horribly sucked. Please, for the love of God, no, do not combine the two. The story elements were atrocious and unbelievable, not to mention in SO3 they reused the same areas like three times each. Half the game was running from point A to point Z, which you'd already done 10-12 times before.

If they want a team to utilize in making a game with SEGA, use Valkyrie Profile's team. Strong characters, globe-spanning awesome plot-lines, interesting character designs (Except the newest VP: Covenant of the Plume. That artist really sucks.), great voice acting, and a unique battle system (Though I'd prefer they keep PSO/PSU's, its better for what its made for.). EVERYTHING that PSU lacks, pretty much.
Valkyrie Profile is Tri-Ace too.

ShadiWulf
May 20, 2009, 06:54 PM
It's not like Sega asked Tri-Ace to make a game, but tri-Ace needing a producer/distributor and that was sega, tri-ase is not doing a sega game, they are doing their own game, so they can't possibly end doing a Phantasy Star game.

End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate is a SEGA IP, and they said they have plans for it to last 10 years.

AlphaDragoon
May 20, 2009, 07:12 PM
PSU's battle system better than Star Ocean 4's...? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. ...No seriously, stop the jokes. I can't take it.

SO4's battle system, hell SO3's battle system STOMPS PSU's. Let's not even get into the newer Tales games vs. PSU's battle system, that's taking a knife to a gun fight.

Lunairetic
May 20, 2009, 07:20 PM
Valkyrie Profile is Tri-Ace too.

That was my point. :) I like Tri-ace, just not Star Ocean.

Yunfa
May 20, 2009, 07:56 PM
That was my point. :) I like Tri-ace, just not Star Ocean.

You were caught red handed, no use trying to cover yourself. tri-Ace developed both said games, you have no idea where your comments are taking you, I suggest you stop while you're ahead.

Yunfa
May 20, 2009, 07:59 PM
Ahh, Star Ocean 4. AKA Anime Barbies in space! Lifeless voice actors, just as lifeless acting within the characters, over the top shit story (at least something with more than four people inside/existing within blows up, as per Star Ocean goes...).

If gameplay is all that is going for a game, then just throw away the story. You people really don't need a reason, a drive, a story to play a game; look at what you already play (PSU). Sure, I agree: Game's shouldn't just have good gameplay and have no story, but then again, most games have the story of a book drenched in water, with half the text oozing off.

PSO/PSU has nothing in relation even CLOSE to Star Ocean when it comes to design. Star Ocean is the Final Fantasy of space opera as Phantasy Star is the Dragon Quest to it. One does it right, the other does it ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sooooooooooooooooooo wrong.

That game looks like crap. The last good tri-Ace game I have played was Baten Kaitos Origins. That was a while ago...

I think Phantasy Star needs to step down. And tri-Ace too.

I've seen your hate posts when Star Ocean first came out on the off topic area, yet you could not resist yourself here again. From the way I see it, you have negative thoughts & opinions about both said topics of this thread, both Phantasy Star Universe AND Star Ocean 4...why are you even here? Do you not have better things to do? *scoff*

Overlord Zenon
May 20, 2009, 08:06 PM
thats even if tri-ace is even remotly interested in doing a job under sega's supervision

Unit D79
May 20, 2009, 08:10 PM
tri-ace under segac? call the kubara dudes, we need a new name.

Lunairetic
May 20, 2009, 08:12 PM
I've seen your hate posts when Star Ocean first came out on the off topic area, yet you could not resist yourself here again. From the way I see it, you have negative thoughts & opinions about both said topics of this thread, both Phantasy Star Universe AND Star Ocean 4...why are you even here? Do you not have better things to do? *scoff*
Black pot,

- I enjoy crushing dreams.
meet Kettle.

Mimo
May 20, 2009, 09:13 PM
The trailer reminded me of FF. Why do the men look like girls now in every game? If it's about a group of girly boys saving the world, (im all for good looking men but c'mon...) you can count me out. No more feminine guys!!! I hope future PS games doesnt pick up this trend with their story characters. >.<

Calsetes
May 21, 2009, 09:37 AM
The trailer reminded me of FF. Why do the men look like girls now in every game? If it's about a group of girly boys saving the world, (im all for good looking men but c'mon...) you can count me out. No more feminine guys!!! I hope future PS games doesnt pick up this trend with their story characters. >.<

Allow me to ease your mind....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUDGQ0-dnCA

That was a fun game, but relied a LOT on cover usage. Good humor, though.

gratefulgriz
May 21, 2009, 09:54 AM
"I think the ideal wouldn't be to have it developped by Tri-Ace, but to have a cooperation between Sonic Team and Tri-Ace. Keep ST's good old PS design, but call in Tri-Ace to help work with various gameplay elements like the combat system. Because if there's one thing that really was great in the Star Ocean games, it's the combat system.

Although I don't ever see ST opening up to anyone about Phantasy Star games, the fact that Tri-Ace works with Sega for Resonance of Fate means that there's the ever slight possibility of them helping with certain aspects of a PS game.

Both studios have some good ideas. Maybe together they could cover eachother's lackluster areas."

It is my opinion that Sonic Team and Sega have done great and if they collaborate with TRI that is fine, but I want ST to remain in charge of PS games for the most part. I am not a Tri-Ace fan so much. I have been rather pleased how ST has designed this game, other than the lack of updates of course I have no problem with the Sega/ST.

Mysterious-G
May 21, 2009, 10:05 AM
I love manly guys so much!

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/695/695473/new-super-mario-bros-20060313032401638_640w.jpg

Manliest you will get nowadays. Besides Wario, maybe. xD

Ryno
May 21, 2009, 10:57 AM
very interesting. i see xbox live. I hope theres a character creation/leveling/race and rares you can find like PSU/PSO

Zarode
May 21, 2009, 11:25 AM
Black pot,

meet Kettle.

Why burn someone when I can have someone else do it for me? :wacko:

Everyone knows that nine times out of ten, if I'm posting, I have nothing "nice" to say. Never did listen to my mother... :wacko:

zandra117
May 21, 2009, 08:46 PM
You guys know that Sonic Team has only developed 4 of the 10 main Phantasy Star games, Phantasy Star Online ep1, 2, and 4, PSO ep3 C.A.R.D Revolution, Phantasy Star Universe/Portable, and Phantasy Star 0. Phantasy Star Generations 1 and 2 were made by 3D Ages, and all of the older Phantasy Star games were made by SEGA AM-7, now known today as Overworks.

Kent
May 21, 2009, 09:41 PM
Eh, Star Ocean and Phantasy Star don't really feel all that similar to me. That's probably mainly due to the fact that they're very different kinds of RPGs in their construction, despite some similar stylistic choices.

As for battle systems... It's really a matter of opinion which one you like better. Star Ocean 4's battle system was pretty fun, but Phantasy Star Universe's battle system tried to complicate things and provide a logical evolution to that which was implemented in Phantasy Star Online, but ultimately just caused it to crumble under excessive programming flaws (like many other things in PSU).

But tri-Ace doing a Phantasy Star game? ...I could see it happening, but I don't know if tri-Ace's style would suit itself well to something that's online multiplayer focused (and lets face it - that's what Phantasy Star will be for the forseeable future). I do agree that Phantasy Star needs to be taken out of the hands of the current Sonic Team, though.

...I vote Prope.

Sinue_v2
May 21, 2009, 10:37 PM
You guys know that Sonic Team has only developed 4 of the 10 main Phantasy Star games, Phantasy Star Online ep1, 2, and 4, PSO ep3 C.A.R.D Revolution, Phantasy Star Universe/Portable, and Phantasy Star 0. Phantasy Star Generations 1 and 2 were made by 3D Ages, and all of the older Phantasy Star games were made by SEGA AM-7, now known today as Overworks.

That being said, at the time they were making PSI ~ PSIV, they were a part of Sonic Team under the name "Team Phantasy Star". It was Team Phantasy Star that was split off going into the 32bit generation to create AM7. Also, Phantasy Star III was made by the same development house that made Golden Axe. Overworks was merged with Wow Entertainment (AM1) to create WowWorks/Sega Wow.