PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Type

Kylie
May 20, 2009, 02:40 PM
I've noticed that I tend to be horrible at some games, and I've been analyzing this lately. I think I'm just really impatient. See, some video games are like puzzles, and rather than finding the pieces that fit, I try to cram in the pieces nearest to me. :lol: I'm always running ahead and doing reckless things, and if the game requires teams, I'm an awful team mate. It's not that I can't be good at games, but I choose to play games the way that seems funnest to me, which isn't always the safest or best way. So... what kind of gamer are you?

Leviathan
May 20, 2009, 03:07 PM
I just choose what seems fun for me.

SubstanceD
May 20, 2009, 03:27 PM
I try to take my time and be thorough. I don't like missing things on my first playthrough since I almost never have enough spare time to re-play a game. Of course more often than not I still tend to miss out on things. In recent years I have started buying alot of strategy guides and walkthrougs for the more complicated games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect and of course the Final Fantasy games.

Having said that I am also quite impatient and I don't like spending too much time doing side quests/ or collecting stuff. I find that I almost never finish games that have alot of sidequests since I hate doing them and yet I still feel obligated to do them, I end up spending soo much time doing them that I lose interest in the main quest/plot. I like linear games and I don't like too much freedom of choice beacuse I can get bogged down by having too many options to chose from.

I'm not really sure if that explains what kind of gamer I am but that more or less sums of the types of games I plike to play and the problems I have been experiencing as of late.

Lunairetic
May 20, 2009, 03:43 PM
I think I'm just really impatient.

You and me are very similar in play style, but I've taken a large amount of time to perfect my head-on style. I will literally run into a room with hundreds of mobs and come out on top (Depending on the game.), and if I don't, I'll restart and try again till I perfect it. I brazenly hit something with a rock over and over until it cracks. Which is why Fortefighter and Warrior types are my niché in nearly every game type I play. Take hits, and dish it back harder.

As far as mind-games though, I'm good at those too, which helps in a head-on style, especially in co-op or player against player scenarios. Switch-ups and pressure are what I'm best at in pretty much every type of game I play.

jShazBot
May 20, 2009, 03:51 PM
Ha I'm just like you, in a way. Pretty much all the time I don't wanna spend time looking for something or training/leveling up, (That's why I'm not too much of an RPG gamer) though one exception is Zelda. But after being dissapointed by Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass I probably won't invest my time into another Zelda game now.
When it comes to games like Halo, which I'm not very good at but I love alot, I usually start giving orders to the people I'm playing with even though I'm not to great myself and whenever I'm given orders I usually either get cocky and not listen or not follow them very well. :/
I know that when it comes to the way I play shooters, mainly Halo, my friends tell me I'm always the most reckless person in the match because of the things I do before actually thinking it through. I'm usually the most reckless when put behind the wheel of a Warthog. I do things like hop in the drivers seat without a gunner right when a game starts and try to mow down as many people as I can while powersliding/drifting all over the place and honking my horn like a mad man.

Outrider
May 20, 2009, 04:30 PM
Well, it depends on the game. Generally I'll do my best to play the game it's meant to be played. To me, there's nothing worse than missing out one what turns out to be a great gaming experience simply because I wasn't looking at it the right way (which is what almost happened with me and Beyond Good & Evil).

For multiplayer games, I generally charge right into the fray. Whether it's Smash Bros or Halo, I'm pretty much going in to try and do as much damage as possible. It's not that I'm bad at either of those games, either - I just don't have the best kill/death ratio. (I think that's why I've always hated timed Smash Bros matches.)

Yueri
May 20, 2009, 04:31 PM
You and me are very similar in play style, but I've taken a large amount of time to perfect my head-on style. I will literally run into a room with hundreds of mobs and come out on top (Depending on the game.), and if I don't, I'll restart and try again till I perfect it. I brazenly hit something with a rock over and over until it cracks. Which is why Fortefighter and Warrior types are my niché in nearly every game type I play. Take hits, and dish it back harder.

I have to second this - I do the same.

I personally love to charge head on in a boss fight unprepared to see how well I'll do.
Well dependng on when my last save was and the game, yes...

I used to be very impatient as well. Rushing through most games to get to a point or to get through the story to know what happens.
It has taught me a lot. I'm more patient now since I've got less games to actually play, I need to take my time.
But I've been so underleveled at bossfights and areas at times... but even if I fail I keep trying till I succeed - "what do you mean go and level..?".
But it's only RPGs and Strategy RPGs (to a certain extent) that this applies to...

I'd still just put myself as a casual gamer... It doesn't really get to me anymore.

Cracka_J
May 20, 2009, 04:34 PM
I'm way too impatient, especially in fighters.

I do shit constantly I know I shouldn't be doing, because I have a very short patience, especially for turtle style play in fighters. I realized this a long time ago, but it's one of my hardest habits to break. Especially in vs fighting games, you need to force the opponent to play YOUR game, not theirs, and getting impatient and rushing things often leads to total breakdown on my part.

Now that's not saying I haven't changed or adapted over 10 years of playing fighters or 25 years of playing games, I've gotten better and have learned a lot. But I still have very little patience for defensive style play. It's my own fault though, and I try to work on it and improve every time I pick up the controller.

AlexCraig
May 20, 2009, 04:36 PM
I tend to be pretty laid back when playing games. Unless they are fighters.

Lunairetic
May 20, 2009, 04:38 PM
Turtle, turtle, turtle, turtle, turtle, turtle, PUNISH PUNISH PUNISH PUNISH, turtle, turtle, turtle, turtle, PUNISH, turtle.

Wyndham
May 20, 2009, 04:56 PM
I mostly like RPGs. Castlevania and Lunar Knights too.

joefro
May 20, 2009, 06:50 PM
I'm very impatient and I rush all the time. My favorite types of games are shooters (first and third) and open world RPG's. Every few years I play a turn-based RPG, but that's rare. While those are my favorite types of games I generally play all genres (except sports). When it comes to multiplayer and cooperative games, I am a good team player. I am especially good at objective type games, I'm a ninja at getting to objectives.

Kent
May 20, 2009, 06:54 PM
As part of the design, I find particular interest in the ones that force you to play it in a different way than you'd expect - or at the very least, a different way than to what you may be accustomed. A rather obvious example for this would be Ikaruga, which does a great job of introducing the mechanic of not only wanting to be hit by certain projectiles, but the fact that you can freely swap the good and the bad projectiles by which you want to be hit.

Sure, there's a basic level of skill involved from other entries in the genre, but this idea is something that forces the game's uniqueness on the player - it's a thing that I really enjoy. A design that brings a completely new style to the table is, to me, a great thing - especially when it's well-executed.

I would say that my playing style really depends on the game itself. I typically find myself being patient and use the environment well, if the game allows that to be done - but there's a difference between patience and tolerance for boredom that should be expressed. I don't really like games that aren't fun or engaging, so I'm more likely to quit something that's too boring or simple, than I am to zerg rush it. I appreciate games as an artform more than I do games as just "a thing to do."

Solstis
May 20, 2009, 07:13 PM
When I play FPS games online, I prefer finding a nice place to camp. That said, I tend to prefer high-traffic spots about midway from wherever I spawned.

Strangely, I think I'm more patient with FPS games (I gleefully hide in a corner and C4 people) than I am with RPGs. I'm also one of those gamers that misses about half the cool things without a guide.

I tend to turtle when it comes to strategy games, mostly because I'm terrible at managing more than one operation at a time. I do enjoy a good flanking maneuver, but my base will suffer in the meantime.

SStrikerR
May 20, 2009, 09:25 PM
In fighters: It doesn't matter, I suck ass.
In FPS games: I usually am very daring in them, and yet I almost always do good. In Halo I dominate most people, but in Call of duty I USUALLY do well. You know, that guy in the top 3 every game? Yeah, that's me. I don't get MVP that often though.
Strategy: I only really play Fire Emblem, but I'm pretty good at it. Don't like the new one though. Easy mode is pathetic, yet the harder modes are borderline retarded. I didn't feel like recruiting one guy who had a ballista, and guess what the next misison had? A ton of enemies with them. And I'm one of those guys who won't accept failure (IE, letting my men die) so I had to quit the game for a while after so many failures.

jShazBot
May 20, 2009, 09:37 PM
So it's official.
EVERYONE, though they think their different and special, says they play FPS games the exact same way.
^^

Zarode
May 20, 2009, 09:58 PM
I have a hard time enjoying competitive games. Rather work as a team then beat the shit out of each other. Rather trivial. (no, it is not because I suck. Beating your ass is usually a reward on its own, listening to your bitching is another thing...)

FPS's are usually bad mojo for me. I own, but I don't enjoy it.

Ryosuke_Kura
May 20, 2009, 09:58 PM
RPGs: I take my time searching dungeons, and talking to all the people in the town. I hate creation stuff in RPGs though and usually don't touch them until after I beat the game.

Action: I try to play them as adeptly as possible. Using the right attacks, dodging at the right time, etc.

Fighting: Same as action.

FPS: Constantly moving and watching my back in multiplayer. I'm in more of a defensive mode for Single Player.

jShazBot
May 20, 2009, 10:03 PM
I have a hard time enjoying competitive games. Rather work as a team then beat the shit out of each other. Rather trivial. (no, it is not because I suck. Beating your ass is usually a reward on its own, listening to your bitching is another thing...)

FPS's are usually bad mojo for me. I own, but I don't enjoy it.

Yeah, I have the same problem. Except in real life.
I'm just too awesome. So awesome that it kinda makes me mad at myself because I'm just so much more awesome than everyone else.
:disapprove:
I don't enjoy it.

I feel your pain. </3

Zarode
May 20, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hush, boy. Can that sass and sell it on PSU.

jShazBot
May 20, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hush, boy. Can that sass and sell it on PSU.

Been there DUN that. 8-)

Tetsaru
May 20, 2009, 11:28 PM
I guess I'm one of the few people who likes to carefully analyze situations and look for patterns and what-not rather than rush into things all the time. As a result, I usually suck at stuff like speed runs or time trials. It sucks because I have a friend who's the complete opposite, and we always have a hard time trying to read each other's movements when we're playing something like Little Big Planet together...

Anduril
May 20, 2009, 11:41 PM
I prefer to play fighting games and action RPGs. I just have a lot of fun hitting things, though I will play turn based RPGs when I'm in a thinking kind of mood.
As for FPSs, I usually just hide, and fire wildly at anyone who gets near me. I usually end up killing quite a few people, and when I used to play Halo 2 at home with my friends I would distract them either with insane laughter or inane comments that would make them turn toward me long enough for me to find them and kill them. Speaking of insane laughter, I would also just go nuts playing Super Smash Bros. Melee with my buddies as Pichu, and it would always end with me winning because I was just running around randomly shooting off thunder.

Zarode
May 20, 2009, 11:52 PM
I guess I'm one of the few people who likes to carefully analyze situations and look for patterns and what-not rather than rush into things all the time. As a result, I usually suck at stuff like speed runs or time trials. It sucks because I have a friend who's the complete opposite, and we always have a hard time trying to read each other's movements when we're playing something like Little Big Planet together...

Tried Monster Hunter? Game is all about thinking and waiting rather then how many times you can hit something with your giant sword of big sword syndrome +2.

Tetsaru
May 21, 2009, 12:01 AM
Tried Monster Hunter? Game is all about thinking and waiting rather then how many times you can hit something with your giant sword of big sword syndrome +2.

Well, the same friend of mine showed one of the games to me a while back, and it looked pretty fun. There's a fine line between puzzle-solving strategy and tedious work though; sometimes I just want to blow stuff up or kill stuff, lol. :3

Unit D79
May 21, 2009, 12:53 AM
depends greatly on the game.
rpgs like oblivion/ fallout: i explore EVERYWHERE, and as a consequence i usually see everthing there is to see by like level 14, and own all the best weapons.
FPS: general rule of thumb, if you get killed by a sniper on any COD game, it was probably me.
fighters: dont play
racing: i cant go more than 3 laps without saying **** it and driving backwards.

Zael
May 21, 2009, 01:16 AM
Perfectionist. I always try to be really good at whatever game I play, and usually succeed in doing so. I'm also competitive, even in non-competitive games. I enjoyed Time Attacks the most in PSU/PSO, in comparison to the other stuff the game had to offer. When I play RPGs, I have to get *everything* and beat every optional boss, which usually means my characters end up being uber or something.

I'm not that great in fighters to be honest. I like to watch what the opponent does and react accordingly, but I hesitiate and second-guess too much. Ouch.

MasterSpark
May 21, 2009, 01:18 AM
I'm generally not much of a teamplayer when it comes to outside of RPG's, which tends to be my undoing when I try to play any multiplayer on both FPS and strategy games. I prefer to work on my own, devicing my own strategy that does not rely on anyone else living up to my expectations. I (try to) utilize a lot of stealth and sneaking about, makes for great fun when you actually manage to infiltrate an enemy base and begin wreaking havoc. :)

In fighting games I usually adopt a reactive style, though it does depend on the opponent as well. I'm rather good at playing the psyching and feinting game which is immensely enjoyable when it works. I also love long and complicated button combinations, I've a flair for nailing those.

I do enjoy a good and hard shoot-em-up as well (not talking FPS here, more in the lines of Touhou). I'm not too much of a memorization-fan though, hence my attraction to the ninth installment in the Touhou series, which is a free-style danmaku game. My great love. :D

UnderscoreX
May 21, 2009, 01:35 AM
I press buttons and things happen on my TV.

Powder Keg
May 21, 2009, 01:49 AM
With online games I love helping teammates (I guess that's why I've been stuck as mainly a support FO since PSO) The type of game typically doesn't matter, most games for me just need to follow a few things.

With RPGs, one of the most important things for me is that it has to be fast-paced in battle. Games like Suikoden and anything in the Tales series is perfect for this. I'll get annoyed if the battle system is way too in depth and tries to experiment with too many things...there's nothing wrong with a classic/more basic system. Free roaming/explortation is also a very big factor.

With any racing game. high-flying crashing and/or weapons have to be involved, otherwise it's incredibly boring.

FPS or similar - weapon selection is a plus, otherwise has to be great on teamwork (I play Gears and Left 4 Dead a lot and love them both, but was never too big on Halo...)

Fighting games are just hit or miss...some I like, others I can't stand. My taste in fighting games can be compared to my taste in music....not understandable at all.

AC9breaker
May 21, 2009, 02:20 AM
I press buttons and things happen on my TV.

That's it pretty much. I don't always play games the same way, I like to explore each game and try out different things. I think hat way you get to fully appreciate the craftsmenship that was put into each game. If I had to narrow my play style though, I'm the type to observe then react accordingly.

darkante
May 21, 2009, 02:49 AM
Fighting - I grow bored of this type as iīm not really skilled and itīs pretty much the same stuff all the time, but i do like to play Tekken and Soul Calibur from time to time.
The only one that can hold my interest is the Super Smash Bros. serie, it got enough variation to keep me interested.

Action - I like plattforming kinda game, where you either jump around and shoot stuff.
Like Contra, Metroid, Megaman..etc. And i also like regular type like Mario for example.
Also, i love 2D games with a 3D view as it just make feel more alive. =)

Adventure - Somestimes you just have urge to explore things in like every corner. Legend of Zelda serie delivers that well and with fun puzzles as well.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion is one of the games that had me go "WOW! This is really beutiful" and itīs such a large and deep world to explore with alot of quest to do.
And nothing like really great composed music to go with your quest of treasures.

Space-shooting type - If you know what Gradius and R-type is then great.
They are all awesome! Itīs just that they are really hard for me, but if it comes to something like this i can be pretty determined to try it out properly before giving in to cheating or something. =P

RPG - Well, if i didnīt like that then i wouldnīt be around here. ;P
I like being in the action in games. Take the Tales of bla bla serie for example..
Itīs like a fighting game of a kind and the more succesful your team combo is then greater the experience.

But i also like regular kind of rpgs like the Final Fantasy serie.

Now Tactics games where you take turns moving characters around in a chess like enviroment is NOT a type i like, for the record. I just donīt have any fun with that.

First-person shooter - We all wanna kick ass and chew bubblegum (sorry Duke Nukeem quote) sometimes. I like being in the action and try to being as much teamplayer as i can in online matches. Iīm far from great in FPS, but i try my best to help.
Unreal Tournament is one of my favorite type of shooters.

Doing soloing makes me more sneaky like a certain Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid to help overcome my goals, it is just much more fun then aimlessly shooting at everything and hoping for the best.
But sometimes, that particular behavior is great in Serious Sam.
Itīs really crazy amount of enemies trying to get you there and still itīs not too bad.
Have a army of friends to help you with it and itīs a freaking blast. :D

Sports - This is my least favorite type of genre, but there are some that can take my attention from time to time.
Like Mario Kart with itīs crazy gimmics, nothing beats making a domino effect on a target with him getting pummeled alot and then fall to a gap. Mouhaha.
Or Super Punchout, boxing at itīs funniest. Specially beating that big guy and making him stick out his tongue, haha.

Ok, people. Iīm done. ^^

Sinue_v2
May 21, 2009, 05:42 AM
Inebriated.

Other than that, I tend to play rather conservatively. Against a computer, I look for patterns or AI routines I can exploit. However, this doesn't work so well against other people online - and with my connection being what it is - I tend to favor more long distance weapons such as snipers where I can wait for an opponent to show themselves or engage in a fight with a team-mate before picking them off. I'm hardly ever kill leader, but I tend to go extremely positive in the K/D spread.

In RPGs, if I like them, I try to extend them out as long as possible doing side-quests and alternate missions. Usually I'll play through fast the first time to get a grip on things and see the storyline, then play again more thoroughly and completely.

I don't play racing games, sports games, RTSs, etc.

In Adventure games, I tend to have multiple games going at once. If I get stuck on a puzzle in one, I'll move to another game with a fresh perspective. Once I get stuck on that one, I'll move on again and come back to it later. It's all too easy to get stuck in a "mental loop", so taking a break and clearing your head can be all that's needed to move on.

And by Adventure game, I don't mean Zelda or Metroid or any of that crap that passes as "Adventure" on the vidya-game consoles. I mean real adventure games like Sam & Max, Monkey Island, Space Quest, Still Life, etc. Unfortunately, those have been rather lacking on consoles lately - either being stuck in the "point & click" mentality of the mid-90's (Siberia) or being carrot-on-a-stick follow-along stories (Shenmue).

Inazuma
May 21, 2009, 01:02 PM
I try to do what's best to succeed. The most important lesson I've learned is to throw away personal rules and play according to the game's own rules.

RPG:
Max out all my characters, get all the best equipment, complete 100% of the game.

Racing:
Drive as fast as possible to win races.

Fighting:
Do my best to beat the opponent, even if I have to do stuff that bad players would label as "cheap".

Music Rhythm:
Try to get every single note timed perfectly.

Basically, I do my best to become the best player I can. If the game is competitive or online, I play with the goal of becoming the world's best player, even if I know that's impossible. For example, I'm pretty bad at mahjong games but when I play one, I am trying to improve my skill as much as possible. It's the constant desire for improvement that drives me as a gamer.

VanHalen
May 22, 2009, 10:13 AM
I do enjoy a good and hard shoot-em-up as well (not talking FPS here, more in the lines of Touhou). I'm not too much of a memorization-fan though, hence my attraction to the ninth installment in the Touhou series, which is a free-style danmaku game. My great love. :D

The ninth one was ugly looking to me :(. Anyway for me, my gaming style is

Online games: If its a team based game I normally go towards defense or supportive roles. If for whatever reason I have to fight someone I try to use underhanded moves to annoy my opponent. Multiple status effects, slowing them down, trapping them, etc.

Vertical Shooters: I tend to stare at the ship/little girl of your choice on the screen more than what's coming up. It helps me dodge things better.

Fighting games: AIR ASSAULT! If that doesn't work play defensively for a bit.

FPS: Melee. It's called First Person Smasher right?

Action: Press buttons, die, rage. Continue until I beat the game. I'm a masochist when it comes to that.

Darkly
May 25, 2009, 10:41 AM
i find in rpgs i really do take my time n talk to everyone etc/

in more action type games im just rahh raghhh blast a hole straight through.

Gentlemen
May 25, 2009, 04:55 PM
I tend to rely on my instinct, predictive and luck skills. Especially luck. I enjoy self-defeating tactics like kamikaze attacks. I'll crash a vehicle before I bail or run away. Another personal favorite is running around like maniac in nearly any situation regardless of the productivity of such an act.