PDA

View Full Version : My 7th router has officially taken a shit.

KodiaX987
May 20, 2009, 10:34 PM
1 - Linksys Wireless - Couldn't wireless its way through a gyproc wall.
2 - Linksys 4-port Wired - Randomly froze and refused any and all connections until it was unplugged, left alone for 30 seconds, re-plugged and turned on.
3 - D-Link 4-port w/ Wireless - Crashed and self-rebooted at such a breakneck speed that I was banned for join-flooding a chatroom at 2:00 AM while I was asleep. I later learned that the router did other various stupid shit like causing interference to itself and instantly crashing if its log exceeded 20 pages.
4 - Installed by ISP - The tech never managed to get it to work. After 2 hours of waiting, I gave up and told him we'd stick with the old personal router & modem combination.
5 - Homemade rig running m0n0wall router software - Both NICs crapped out within a week.
6 - Inexq 4-port Wired - Attempting to change the virtual server settings makes the router instantly crash.
7 - Efficient Networks Speedstream 6300 - When plugged in router+modem setup, unable to make UPnP function. When directly plugged to the Internet, cannot go over 2 days of continuous uptime without completely losing its WAN connection and forcing me to reboot it.

Taking suggestions. You are forbidden from suggesting any brand I have used previously.

Leviathan
May 20, 2009, 10:52 PM
This reminds me that I can't wait until my router fails just like every year around this time too, and then have to wait for Verizon to send me one. :disapprove:

Try Actiontec.

Tetsaru
May 20, 2009, 11:21 PM
Hmm, my dad always complains at me because I have our cable modem and a Linksys router in my room (I've got my PC and gaming consoles to attach to it), and he keeps his P.O.S. laptop on the other side of the house in the living room, and says he always gets a horrible signal because my room door is always closed and "blocks the signal." I moved the router into their bedroom to try to improve the signal a bit, but he still gripes that his signal sucks. I don't see why he doesn't just move his laptop into their bedroom... I guess he thinks it'd keep my mom awake since he tends to be on it during the night when she's sleeping. =/

Seeing someone else post about Linksys not having a good signal strength caught my attention because of this problem. My dad had this wtf idea that we should mount the router on the FUCKING CEILING outside my door to help increase the strength... Yeah sure, let's have all the wires and shit that's already strewn on the floor HANGING FROM THE CEILING where our cats can bat at it and tear it down. That's a brilliant idea... >_>

Any suggestions on how I could fix this without spending a fortune or driving my dad even more crazy?? @_@

Anduril
May 20, 2009, 11:34 PM
Any suggestions on how I could fix this without spending a fortune or driving my dad even more crazy?? @_@
Get a smaller house. >.>
Yeah I have a Linksys router too, and just closing the door to the garage cuts out half the signal to my dad's computer out back, and it is literally just like 20 feet away from the router itself. I, too, would like to know of a better router.

Zarode
May 20, 2009, 11:41 PM
Buffalo. Cannot go wrong with Buffalo. Had my router since the end of time, cheapest one available. Still kicking a rad signal. 8)

Chuck_Norris
May 20, 2009, 11:42 PM
Here's a tip for improving signal strength. You'll need a cereal bowl, and some tin foil.
Step one: Take the bowl and cover it in the tin foil. Make sure it goes down to the bottom.
Step two: Put it next to your console/laptop/wifi enabled toaster.
The bowl should work like a satellite dish and catch extra waves, improving the connectivity.

Unit D79
May 21, 2009, 01:18 AM
i just use a little wireless motorola modem that time warner sent us. no problems, and im a 60 feet away from it with my labtop

drizzle
May 21, 2009, 04:49 AM
The only thing all these failures have in common... is you.

Solstis
May 21, 2009, 08:48 AM
Belkin routers are as good as dead on arrival.

D-Link will give you about half a year. You won't enjoy that year.

Linksys will get flakey after a year, fix itself for a few months, and repeat.

Suggestions? Could try an Apple router. The Express model has problems with overheating, though. Never tried the other one (too expensive).

HUnewearl_Meira
May 21, 2009, 07:20 PM
As you've discovered, it's actually quite a normal procedure for routers to fail, from time to time. For some reason, they come with peculiar flaws, such as running out of RAM, after the log has gotten too large.

If you want one that you can set up in your home, and it'll be guaranteed to work without ever having to fuck with it again, then, stop buying cheap equipment (http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Integrated-Services-CISCO1811-K9/dp/B0009VPWZS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242951114&sr=1-4).

Alternatively, you can build a new machine from reliable old junk, with multiple NIC cards, and install Debian (http://www.debian.org/) on that. That'll work as a rather stable router, as well. You can stick it in a closet, and run it headless.

Solstis
May 21, 2009, 07:28 PM
As you've discovered, it's actually quite a normal procedure for routers to fail, from time to time. For some reason, they come with peculiar flaws, such as running out of RAM, after the log has gotten too large.

If you want one that you can set up in your home, and it'll be guaranteed to work without ever having to fuck with it again, then, stop buying cheap equipment (http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Integrated-Services-CISCO1811-K9/dp/B0009VPWZS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242951114&sr=1-4).

Alternatively, you can build a new machine from reliable old junk, with multiple NIC cards, and install Debian (http://www.debian.org/) on that. That'll work as a rather stable router, as well. You can stick it in a closet, and run it headless.

Catalyst! The Mercedes of routers! Didn't think you could actually buy one (as a non-commercial consumer), nice.

SStrikerR
May 21, 2009, 10:32 PM
My family's router is from comcast. I'm not getting up to check right now though, I'm tired.

Stupid tips that you should know already.
Never get a D-link
Never get a linksys

NEVER EAT SOGGY WHEAT

Blitzkommando
May 22, 2009, 02:57 AM
Unless you love pain, and by pain I mean the sharp pains between the eyes, avoid Netgear and Belkin like the plague. Got a Netgear for $0.99 and while it ran wired networking fine out of the box, it refused to set up the wireless settings. The Belkin? Similar to what you experienced. It ran fine. So long as you reset the power every couple hours, otherwise it would lock out wired connections and turn off all wireless security settings. Oh, and when you turn it off you have to reload the previous settings so you can get that 30 minutes online.

We've had three D-Link. One we replaced simply because it was older and didn't have 802.11n or gigabit. Second became a bit of a retarded stepchild that would randomly deny any new device connections. While that would certainly be a nice security feature if enabled, it's more just a pain in the ass when it kicks in whenever you turn on the computer. The third is this thing (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127243). So far it's put up with about 200 GB of just external traffic this month, what with downloading multiple Linux distros, the Windows 7 RCs, the updates for a clean install of XP SP1 all the way up to date, OSX 10.5.7, and lots more. It only gets finicky when I start doing the 100+GB single session transfers over the local network which is fixed by a quick reset. Frankly this router, in the 8 months or so we have had it, has been wonderful compared to that piece of flaming shit of a Belkin (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833314034) we had prior. And, I mean that damned thing was hot too when it ran which lead me to believe that to be one of the primary factors in it crapping out like it did. And, I realize you mentioned not wanting another of the same brands again but I have to say, for a non-commercial router to put up with as many as 16 devices at once, both wired (with three switches involved due to house layout) and wireless mixed 802.11g/n I've been nothing short of impressed with it and it has withstood the reviews.

To reiterate about Belkin, my uncle insisted his router be a Belkin and picked up the cheapest 802.11g capable which Best Buy had at the time. It greeted us by behaving exactly like that Belkin we had. I toyed with it for a good two hours before finally giving up. So, again, Belkin routers of all routers are the hellspawn.

Midicronica
May 22, 2009, 03:04 AM
I've been using mu D-Link DGL4300 for about a little over a year now and I've had absolutely no problems. ^Blitzkommando has the upgraded version of my router that I would like to purchase some time in the future.

KodiaX987
May 22, 2009, 08:20 AM
Update.

I realized something both strange and sad, and it is that every person I ask about routers both suggest me something radically different from everyone else and also claim that they are more right than everyone else. This has led me to a compiled list of suggestions that go so far as to conflict with each other, chief among them being:

-Build your own homemade router.
-Get a router that supports DD-WRT.
-Get a commercial rackmount router.

Also among them, I was told (along with the implied mention that anyone who thought otherwise was an idiot) the following "facts":

-Linksys rocks.
-Do not ever get a Linksys.
-D-Link rocks.
-Do not ever get a D-Link.
-Belkin rocks.
-Do not ever get a Belkin.
-Netgear rocks.
-Do not ever get a Netgear.
-Buffalo rocks.
-Do not ever get a Buffalo.
-Avoid DD-WRT like the plague.
-DD-WRT is the best thing to ever happen to the world of routers.
-Your best bet is to build your own router yourself.
-A homemade router is nothing but an unstable waste of money and energy.
-Get a Linksys WRT310N-CA. I've been using it for 4 years and never had a problem with it.
-Linksys WRT310N-CA reviews on FutureShop.ca: "Dissatisfied with product", "Same Bad Experience", "worst router- do not buy", "Not Worth the Money", "Please do not buy this product".

For shits and giggles, I ran a quick search on Amazon.com for routers. Every piece of hardware that had gotten a substantial amount of reviews didn't ever exceed 3 out of 5 stars.

Above all, absolutely everyone I spoke to told me something to the effect of: "Everyone you spoke of your problem before hasn't got a fucking clue what he's talking about. And if you don't follow my advice to the letter, you are a fucking idiot as well."

How strange. So no matter which decision I take, I am screwed.

Darkly
May 22, 2009, 08:20 AM
i kno you dont live in the uk but if theres anything similiar to the bt homehub its the best router ive ever used by far.

Aisha_Clan-Clan
May 22, 2009, 01:20 PM
Havn't had any problems with my Linksys WRT54G_V2-UG-Rev_NC. If I remember corectly, Got it in 2005. Although the only wireless units which uses it is parants pc and my Wii.

Rasputin
May 22, 2009, 01:21 PM
I think you should stop feeding your routers laxatives :wacko:

SStrikerR
May 22, 2009, 03:59 PM
Also among them, I was told (along with the implied mention that anyone who thought otherwise was an idiot) the following "facts":

Learn to understand a joke when you see one...?

Kylie
May 23, 2009, 12:29 PM
No, no! Not more router drama. ;_; I've finally got my situation to somewhat work out. I have to keep switching my PS3 and 360 in the DMZ, but I'll take the time to forward ports properly when I get my second PC.

Neith
May 23, 2009, 03:05 PM
i kno you dont live in the uk but if theres anything similiar to the bt homehub its the best router ive ever used by far.

I use a Homehub (or rather am, for the time being) until my new router arrives. The homehub is fine wired, but because my house is fairly large, I can't really run wired. Wireless cuts out randomly all the time, and it's rare I go one night without disconnecting multiple times. Asked for a new router, and was told 'we can't send you another; but if you like we can reduce your monthly payments.' No, I want a connection that works; not a bargain-priced turd. Switched ISP because of it.

If there's one piece of technology I hate, it's routers. They're either a pain in the ass to get set up, or only work well with wired or wireless, or don't work at all most of the time.

Powder Keg
May 23, 2009, 04:27 PM
How the heellll do you go through seven routers? I've had the same linksys for over five years and it's still working perfectly.

KodiaX987
May 23, 2009, 07:06 PM
Update:

The WAN port on router #7 has completely ceased to function. It has become unable to access the Internet in any way whatsoever.

Router #8 is in the mail.

thunder-ray
May 24, 2009, 12:24 AM
How the heellll do you go through seven routers? I've had the same linksys for over five years and it's still working perfectly.Good question ive had mine for like four years and it hasent given me any problems.

Darkly
May 25, 2009, 10:33 AM
I use a Homehub (or rather am, for the time being) until my new router arrives. The homehub is fine wired, but because my house is fairly large, I can't really run wired. Wireless cuts out randomly all the time, and it's rare I go one night without disconnecting multiple times. Asked for a new router, and was told 'we can't send you another; but if you like we can reduce your monthly payments.' No, I want a connection that works; not a bargain-priced turd. Switched ISP because of it.

If there's one piece of technology I hate, it's routers. They're either a pain in the ass to get set up, or only work well with wired or wireless, or don't work at all most of the time.

Im talking about the newer black model, but to be honest it just seems completly random if you get a good router.

personally ive only had to reset it once in 5 months and it doesnt cut out either :S.

Mystil
May 27, 2009, 06:40 AM
1 - Linksys Wireless - Couldn't wireless its way through a gyproc wall.
2 - Linksys 4-port Wired - Randomly froze and refused any and all connections until it was unplugged, left alone for 30 seconds, re-plugged and turned on.
3 - D-Link 4-port w/ Wireless - Crashed and self-rebooted at such a breakneck speed that I was banned for join-flooding a chatroom at 2:00 AM while I was asleep. I later learned that the router did other various stupid shit like causing interference to itself and instantly crashing if its log exceeded 20 pages.
4 - Installed by ISP - The tech never managed to get it to work. After 2 hours of waiting, I gave up and told him we'd stick with the old personal router & modem combination.
5 - Homemade rig running m0n0wall router software - Both NICs crapped out within a week.
6 - Inexq 4-port Wired - Attempting to change the virtual server settings makes the router instantly crash.
7 - Efficient Networks Speedstream 6300 - When plugged in router+modem setup, unable to make UPnP function. When directly plugged to the Internet, cannot go over 2 days of continuous uptime without completely losing its WAN connection and forcing me to reboot it.

Taking suggestions. You are forbidden from suggesting any brand I have used previously.
...I could have told you that linksys makes bad products..but I wasn't around.