PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Something New

autumn
May 24, 2009, 02:35 PM
So... I still need a new game until September. I'm looking for a F2P that is decent because all the extra cash I get between now and September gets to go towards a new computer. So... suggestions on a F2P? :3

Ceresa
May 24, 2009, 02:59 PM
World of Warcraft, seriously.

The graphics are like 6 years old but have a cartoony style that keeps it rather pleasant to look at. Plus the animations are excellent and seamless. And it runs on just about any pc/laptop.

Nonstop carrots to keep you going, just 15 mins more. Until it's tomorrow. Oops.

Endgame is more accessible then ever and very casual-friendly compared to the glorious catass days of old.

Battle system is kinda spammy, for melee, autoatk is perhaps 40% of your total dmg once you get your main set of abilities, which you'll then spam every 1.5 to 3 seconds, preferably in an optimal rotation devised through countless spreadsheets by the kind fellows at Elitist Jerks. Casters generally nuke every 2-3 seconds with a nice variety of oh shit buttons that keeps adds fresh like Subway. Vent really helps keeping conversation going while you spam shit. Preferably Vent with friends/guildmates that aren't retarded.

Also PVP if that's your thing. For good or bad most of WoW PVP has largely shifted to cross-realm instanced PVP, which means you can get the full PVP experience on a PVE server without the pointlessness of being ganked by some lvl 80 jackass.

Also it has flying dragon mounts.

Free trial discs are like everywhere too.

Volcompat321
May 24, 2009, 03:03 PM
Isn't WoW point and click?
I'm in the same boat as you Ida, I want a new game, PSU is getting boring, I don't want to quit so I need a break. It is the ONLY game I've played online when it comes to MMO-RPG's
I made a topic about 360 games. Next is ps3 lol.
If you get any suggestions that are decent, let me know! I'd play a new pc game for a while to give PSU a break.

Ceresa
May 24, 2009, 03:13 PM
WoW is not point and click no. Very few western MMOs do that actually.

Diablo 2, that's point and click, best game ever made aside, it's 100% point and click.

But no one that's ever played WoW would describe it as point and click.

Frankly people that use the mouse for anything besides camera rotation and looting in WoW are cripplling themselves.

autumn
May 24, 2009, 03:31 PM
I dunno about WoW. Maybe I've just been meeting the wrong sort of people but the one I have indicate to me that WoW is one of those life consuming games I want to stay away from.

Edit: I like Vent and use it with PSU actually so thats no big deal. And I forgot to address PvP above: does not want to deal with it. I don't want to have to worry about some greedy asshole ganking me if I log on >_>

And Sie if I find something I'll let you know, it would be nice to have someone I know playing another game with me ^^;

Volcompat321
May 24, 2009, 04:53 PM
Sounds good :D
I'm sure I'll give any game a try at least.

joefro
May 24, 2009, 05:22 PM
WoW is not point and click no. Very few western MMOs do that actually.

Diablo 2, that's point and click, best game ever made aside, it's 100% point and click.

But no one that's ever played WoW would describe it as point and click.

Frankly people that use the mouse for anything besides camera rotation and looting in WoW are cripplling themselves.
How is WoW not point and click? You point to the enemy click what ability that you want to use, then the enemy dies. Simple, point and click.

Ceresa
May 24, 2009, 05:47 PM
Do you consider PSU to be point and click if you play it with keyboard? If you say no, then WoW isn't point and click either.

And if you say yes, well you'd be wrong.

Like I said, no one that actually plays WoW would classify it as point and click, just ignorant haters.

Anyways, as for life-consuming game, there's no such thing. It's all about personal accountability, only people looking to scapegoat their own failures blame it on a game. I'm sure there's people that fucked up bad with PSU too, but there's like no PSU players compared to millions and millions of WoW players so you wouldn't hear about it...

You have nearly 3 150s so, assuming you A) Don't blow off your friends for PSU night and B) Don't blow off your health for Hot Pockets instead of real food, and C) don't call in sick to work because you were up too late hunting Love Inferno, you'll be fine in other games too.

joefro
May 24, 2009, 06:02 PM
I play WoW.

On topic, if you're looking for a free game, try Free Realms. Free Realms is a fun little MMO by Sony, its very easy to get into and it is fun to just relax and play the game.

Nitro Vordex
May 24, 2009, 06:35 PM
Don't play WoW. Ever. It's Runescape with way better graphics.

And better gameplay.

:/

Kent
May 24, 2009, 07:01 PM
WoW is "point and click" in the same sense that Final Fantasy XI, EverQuest, and basically all other MMORPGs are. PSU is not "point and click" because you don't click an enemy and press the button to autoattack until it dies.

Basically, the difference lies in the amount of input the user has to make for individual actions. In a game like PSU, which is not an MMORPG but rather, an Action/RPG with online gameplay elements, the user has very precise control over what they do. Every single attack, action, and movement requires different input. A PSU example would be something like using a PA combo to send an enemy hurling toward a trap you set (or something, I hope you get what I mean - it requires active input and setup, instead of just a single button press).

The "point and click" style is mainly referencing the autonomous nature of the game - do execute a special attack well, you don't have to really worry about your position much (outside of distance and whether or not you're behind the enemy), and you don't need to input a "complex" series of actions in order to pull off something fancy. That is, you have a button for "fancy ability," you point at it, click it, and your character does "fancy ability"... Instead of having to chain together a specific series of well-timed abilities to do "fancy ability" manually, as you would in more action-oriented games.

World of Warcraft is at its core, a "point and click" MMORPG. Blizzard however, has taken many steps to involve the user more into the gameplay experience by making it a lot faster-paced than what most people previously expected from this type of game, and implementing a lot more opportunities for twitch-reactions to decide the outcome of combat. That aside, it's still not a game for everyone (just almost everyone as we can see from the subscription figures).

One of the better things about the game's design is the fact that you can dedicate a relatively small amount of time to it, and still actually accomplish something. It's very casual-friendly, but at the same time, it allows for "hardcore" people to have their fun with it as well.

That being said... If you're looking for things that aren't RPGs or RPG-like, I recommend paying a visit to InstantAction (http://www.instantaction.com) and checking out the totally-free games they have to offer. Most of them are multiplayer things, and basically the only big genre they're missing is an RPG of some sort. Legions is fantastic though.

...But unfortunately, there's not much in the way of RPGs at the moment that don't feel like the "point and click" style of MMORPG. There's the latest Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for the DS, which is somewhere between what PSO was and Zelda: Four Swords (and Final Fantasy, of course), but I can't recommend getting it for the online play, simply because the programmers didn't know how to go about handling lag.

Seira7
May 24, 2009, 07:13 PM
I would have recommended Guild Wars, but with the pop dying out with no GW2 in sight, I would recommend WOW as well.

Yes, both are "point and click" but the freedom of movement and fast action give an "action" game type feel, much more so than a "turn based" feeling game like say, EQ or Final Fantasy online. I would love a "true" action game that had MMO elements but there arent really any besides PSU. Blade and Soul looked promising but NCsoft isnt doing great financially so we may never see it...

I played WOW in its infancy, and again as of late, and I must say its come a long way...

Cracka_J
May 24, 2009, 07:21 PM
WoW is "point and click" in the same sense that Final Fantasy XI, EverQuest, and basically all other MMORPGs are. PSU is not "point and click" because you don't click an enemy and press the button to autoattack until it dies.

well said, that's about it in a nutshell.

my advice, just wait til The Old Republic comes out later this year or early next year....or whenever the hell they decide to release it (hopefully they gib info at E3...).

I've been trying to do my part of whoring it out on these boards, cause I think a lot of people that enjoy more fast paced, action based mmo's will be digging this game. Just check it out for now, they got some nice info and vids on the site: www.swtor.com (http://www.swtor.com)

and don't play WoW.
everyone of my friends that have played the game for 4+ years and have managed to break from it have all regretted ever picking it up in the first place. it's crack while your playing it, and extreme remorse when you realize you've wasted $1000, gained 150 lbs, and lost many years of your life.

just say no to WoW.

autumn
Jun 9, 2009, 12:37 AM
Edited original topic but still looking for something to feed my gaming addiction.

Nidoqueen
Jun 9, 2009, 01:11 AM
Get diablo 2 it's like 10 usd with the expansion where I live. And once you get into it, it never ends.

Kent
Jun 9, 2009, 01:43 AM
Get diablo 2 it's like 10 usd with the expansion where I live. And once you get into it, it never ends.
On top of this, it'll run really well on a system that's eight years old, too - especially if you do the install that doesn't require the discs in the drive any more.

Though, it is the definitive point-and-click game - it's still one of the games that, despite its age, is still really, really fun to play.

amtalx
Jun 9, 2009, 05:16 PM
I've been debating reinstalling D2 to pass the time before D3. I'm dreading the resolution though. :disapprove:

Ketchup345
Jun 9, 2009, 05:40 PM
I would have recommended Guild Wars, but with the pop dying out with no GW2 in sight, I would recommend WOW as well.GW has received some new attention from older players since the big April update. GW often does require more than waiting for an enemy to die, at least once you get a good ways into the game. Casters especially require thought and planning. PvP requires you to enter specific PvP areas (with the exception of a single 3 minute or so battle leaving Pre-Searing, and that may not even happen).

WoW would not fall under the F2P part (at least assuming F2P is free to play and last I knew WoW still had monthly fees), so that's already off the list.

Weeaboolits
Jun 9, 2009, 06:03 PM
Mabinogi's a pretty fun one, the combat is pretty involved as well, though to the point that the learning curve is a bit steep.

However, due to the importance of timing, the game is nigh unplayable with lag.

Split
Jun 9, 2009, 06:09 PM
If you have a 360 or PS3 get prototype tomorrow, it is going to be seriously awesome and it'll probably hold my attention for a long time...

furrypaws
Jun 9, 2009, 09:09 PM
S4 League is a surprisingly fun action game that you could easily sink a summer (or at least a month) into. Don't get fooled into thinking that it's one of those MMOs where even though it's "free", you have to pay for content. There's a lot in the game without having to shell out a buck. I've spent whole weekends on it. =3

Randomness
Jun 9, 2009, 09:24 PM
S4 League is a surprisingly fun action game that you could easily sink a summer (or at least a month) into. Don't get fooled into thinking that it's one of those MMOs where even though it's "free", you have to pay for content. There's a lot in the game without having to shell out a buck. I've spent whole weekends on it. =3

On the plus side, there's a NA release pending, too.

And yes, S4 is good. Also not particularly hard to learn, if you've ever touched either a FPS or Zelda game.