PDA

View Full Version : PSZ too much like PSU

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 25, 2009, 08:09 PM
I've noticed by research that psz, to me at least, is looking like it borrowerd from psu as well as pso THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING:rant:. based on the trailers i saw of psz there looks to be photon arts and its a more storyline based game (thank heavens they still have mags) and the character customization looks more like psu's than pso's. What is Sega thinking psu is a total in ferior game to pso.

cApNhOwDy
May 25, 2009, 09:22 PM
That's just what it looks like. Gameplay wise, it plays much more like PSO.

beatrixkiddo
May 25, 2009, 10:06 PM
go play pso then?

landman
May 26, 2009, 01:43 AM
DON'T USE THE PHOTON ARTS THEN DOH! It has some of the good things from PSU together with the crappy control of PSO for the PSO fanboys.

Dragwind
May 26, 2009, 03:22 AM
The game has a mix of elements from both games. Whether you think they're good or bad, is all your opinion.

Triple_S
May 26, 2009, 03:57 PM
I've noticed by research that psz, to me at least, is looking like it borrowerd from psu as well as pso THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING:rant:. based on the trailers i saw of psz there looks to be photon arts and its a more storyline based game (thank heavens they still have mags) and the character customization looks more like psu's than pso's. What is Sega thinking psu is a total in ferior game to pso.

Photon Arts aren't the same as in PSU. They're in more of a PSO-style, in my opinion.

Storyline-based game = PSU? PSO had story, it just didn't really put it out in the open. Plus that's a fixed flaw of PSO rather than an inherited flaw of PSU.

Character customization is basically PSO's but with a voice option.

Also, PSU is superior to PSO in terms of features and gameplay mechanics, but a lot of it isn't executed as well as it could have been. This is why PSO is considered to be the better game overall.

PSZ actually enhances PSO's basic control scheme, fixing a lot of the issues with it and adding new features as well. It also incorporates features from PSU such as lock-on and strafing (you can also shoot handguns while strafing, although not nearly as fast as if you stand and do the usual combo attack), while adding the dodge-roll which is so simple yet after playing with it, so nice to have.

Weapon design is it's own thing, with traces of PSO and PSU in there.

Many sounds are from PSO, some very similar to. Photon Arts use PSU sounds for the respective weapon type, which I thought was actually a pretty good idea. The music is in the same style as PSO as well, with some hints of PSU in there.

Character design is generally it's own style this time around, but the CASTs look more like some awesome fusion of PSO and PSU CASTs. Not the ones with the fake human faces and stuff, mind you.

Cutscenes are in a similar style as in Phantasy Star Portable. Said style is also seen somewhat in the Phoenix Wright series; Phantasy Star Zero leans more toward this since it uses the pixel art.

So, considering that PSZ is like maybe 85-90% PSO and 10-15% PSU, and that 10-15% is widely agreed to be some of the best features in PSU... Well, let's just say that you can have your opinion about the game, but don't make outrageous claims that can be blown out of the water. Your opinion is not fact.

R3volver
May 31, 2009, 12:02 AM
It is nothing like PSO. They are all lying nerds who want to believe. heh.

cApNhOwDy
May 31, 2009, 01:03 PM
I still think it's most similar to PSO, even if that does infact make me a nerd (which I'm proud of).

VR-Raiden
May 31, 2009, 01:46 PM
It is nothing like PSO.
This much is true.

It's way more like PSU than PSO. Anyone saying otherwise is in denial :P

R3volver
May 31, 2009, 05:09 PM
PSZ sucks. Now I wait for my warning for saying it sucks because we have to protect the little ones from negativity. It's worse than a game that came out in 2001. Truth should be said. SEGA shouldn't be allowed to get away with this. I got tricked into getting it because the people on this forum are so hush hush. People come into this area talk about the game and then never post again when they get it. Except one or two people with weird fetishes and even then you hardly see them come in here to push lies.

SeniorBriao-Ares133
May 31, 2009, 06:35 PM
I, for one, can't wait for it to come out. It's like Triple_S said, it's got some of the best elements of PSU and PSO. I have been recently playing PSO after playing PSU and PSPortable. It's true what is bothersome about PSO is no strafing or lock-on for gun users. It is good that SEGA is going back to it's roots with the PSO/PSU series. I hope that this fresh coat of paint will reboot PSO. Hopefully we get a next gen PSO EP5? *crosses fingers*
In short, it looks like a decent mix of PSU and PSO. PSPortable was great because it had PSU and elements of PSO. SEGA just gets closer to gold...

furrypaws
May 31, 2009, 07:24 PM
*imagines R3volver finally stopping whining about how awful PSZ is and moving on with his life already*

:D

Basically, you (topic starter) think this game is going to be awful because of Photon Arts and a story mode? I don't quite understand. You haven't even played the game yet. For all you know, photon arts in PSO could make the combat perfect. Plus, I see the game modes as more of a throwback to PSO EP3 than to PSU. In that, there was a Storyline (which used the same levels as the regular game), a free mode for offline multiplayer, and an online mode, all of which sharing the same decks and characters. PSU v1 had a storyline, but it didn't use the same character. It had a free mode and an online mode, but those didn't use the same character either. PSU AoI had a free mode offline, but the story missions were wrapped right into the free mode. And once again, the offline and online modes were separate.

Plus, character customization looks absolutely nothing like PSUs. >_> I don't see why it would be a bad thing if it did. PSU had like a gajillion customization options.

All the trailers and information make it look like this game is pretty close in caliber to PSO v1.

Triple_S
May 31, 2009, 07:47 PM
imagine if PSOBB mags maxed out by the time you got to level 40 and only had one photon blast.
Given the DS limitations and the fact that the max player level is 100, AND the fact that many PSO players raised their mag to 200 around that time anyways (UNLESS YOU DID TTF OLOLOLOLOL), this isn't anything. Of course I'm one to talk since I always forgot to feed my mag and still do sometimes.

Imagine if you had to play with a sunken d-pad that makes your thumb sore.
Oh yes, and this is totally PSZ's fault that the DS's D-pad doesn't work for your fingers. Nevermind the fact that I have large hands and can play just fine. This isn't even close to a valid point. You could argue that they could've used the touchscreen, but then I could argue that it is an annoying control mechanism. My point wouldn't be any more valid than yours now.

Imagine that forces do double the damage.
Why is this a bad thing? Forces freaking sucked in PSO when it came to damage and if you thought of them as nothing but a Resta slave then quite honestly you were doing it wrong. Them getting a much-needed upgrade is a blessing. Oh but their melee capabilities are a little wrong in PSZ, I will agree with you there. Making the weapons based off of MST was a good idea but the multiplier is a little high. It can be fixed in time for the US version but either it won't or Sonic Team will botch it and Forces will suck again.

Imagine that rangers and hunters do half the damage.
Half? What game are you playing? I'm playing as a HUnewm, who has quite low attack power compared to the other Hunters, and I'm doing similar damage to what I did in PSO around my level. Plus with the arts on my weapons, I'm actually doing MORE. Besides that, a little challenge that didn't include instant kills being thrown by 80% of the enemies never hurt.

Imagine that mechguns only shoot 2 bullets and shotguns only shoot 3 bullets before a long pause and the damage dealt is terrible.
I was a little disappointed by the bullet amount on the mechguns as well, but the arts make up for it. Plus they do more relative damage per shot. Shotguns, well, they sucked in PSO and they suck now. They were only good for tagging, maybe for status effect flinging (or charge/berserk/spirit), and then of course the Baranz Launcher or whatever the hell. Spread Needle not included, that's in a league of it's own.

Imagine long swords only hitting 2 enemies at a time if youre lucky.
You just suck at this game, don't you?

Imagine having to go into your menus manually constantly.
Only reason I do is to check what I picked up, and I only have to do that because I don't know Japanese and need to figure out what weapons I'm grabbing. Also, L+Start goes straight to the item pack. I think there is another shortcut but I can't remember what. While I do miss the Quick Menu, I can get by without it and honestly I don't need it all that much if I play properly.

Imagine having no cool rare items to find.
Your opinion. I love the design on a lot of these weapons. I found a cool-looking rare (red box) Double Saber in Normal of all places.

Imagine fighting monsters with different skins from the forest with slightly out of the ordinary behaviors on all of the levels.
...This is different from PSO and PSU how?

Now imagine people still willing to play it.
Why imagine what is real? You're just wasting your time.

Here's my response to that huge list.

BEFORE-POST EDIT: Sorry, I see the original post was removed. However I feel this should stay to try and hopefully stave off more stupid rebuttals. I've also removed the name of the quoted.

R3volver
May 31, 2009, 07:47 PM
furrypaws, you talk like you haven't played PSZ yet. Have you? It can't compete with PSO v1. PSO v1 on DC is virtually lightyears more advanced. These upgrades that get people excited are more than trivial in the big scheme of PSZ's fail.

Triple_S
May 31, 2009, 07:58 PM
It can't compete with PSO v1. PSO v1 on DC is virtually lightyears more advanced.

Hahaha.

"Link's Awakening can't compete with Phantom Hourglass. Phantom Hourglass is virtually lightyears more advanced."

"Metroid Prime: Hunters can't compete with Metroid Prime 3. Metroid Prime 3 is virtually lightyears more advanced."

"Final Fantasy V can't compete with Final Fantasy VII. Final Fantasy VII is lightyears more advanced."

Dreamcast is more powerful than the DS, and by quite a lot. Of course a game on that is going to be more advanced than something that is on a much more limited console.

EDIT: Fuck, why is PSO-World's forum so slow and refuses to load pages half the time?

furrypaws
May 31, 2009, 08:18 PM
furrypaws, you talk like you haven't played PSZ yet. Have you? It can't compete with PSO v1. PSO v1 on DC is virtually lightyears more advanced. These upgrades that get people excited are more than trivial in the big scheme of PSZ's fail.

How?

Three difficulties.
Level 100.
Same general combat system.
Mostly basic weapons with not a numerous amount of rares.
Free online.
Easy.

What does PSOv1 excel at (besides graphics derp) that makes it sooo much better than PSZ?

Besides, I've tried a little bit, and it's definitely pretty similar to PSO. I think you're letting your nostalgia get in the way here.

EDIT: Continue this in PMs, please.

I'm curious. How do the PAs work in the game? I haven't tried it enough to see.

R3volver
May 31, 2009, 08:28 PM
well for one dc controls are way better basically built for the dc controller.

there is way more content. you wont see many rares at all.

bazookas dont do splash damage in psz and among other weapons are in fact USELESS TO EVERYONE AND ARENT USED.

weapons handle much better in pso. all of them are useful in pso and depending on the enemy can be very beneficial like knocking over androids in the mines with a spread. there is nothing like that in psz.

you have no idea how bad it is apparently. its really bad. the game simply is not fun to most people. pretend youre in the forest with a saber and a pistol if you factor in how bad psz is in all aspects then that wouldb e about equal to psz. forest with saber and pistol = to psz

psz has no rares. it has a handful of skins. hardly any.

just import or bootleg the game its not worth the wait. ill never play it again. its in my closet till i sell my ds.

Triple_S
May 31, 2009, 08:30 PM
If your weapon has a PA on it, you hold down one of the attack buttons (doesn't matter which) and then when the icon changes and you hear the right sound (plus the effects around your character change) then let go of the button and you'll use up some PP and perform a Photon Art. You can do this with magic as well; for instance charging up Foie makes you essentially through a grenade made of fire. Think PSU's Rafoie, only the explosion doesn't randomly appear. It isn't like PSO's where you target an enemy and anything close enough gets hurt as well.

On that note, weapons have photon arts attached to them when they drop, along with status effects (which are inflicted by beating the shit out of an enemy like usual until it works, which is usually pretty quick). You can also add/change the arts or effects on some weapons at this game's tekker, who does not deal with SPECIAL WEAPONS zOMG anymore.

EDIT: There goes Revolver again.

Way more content? Not really. Unless you count v3 and then afterwards BB, but uh THOSE WERE PUT ON SUBSEQUENTLY MORE-POWERFUL AND CAPABLE CONSOLES. Also, judging content by the amount of rare items is stupid. There are plenty for this game, and some of them are pretty difficult to get aside from the simple 6-7* stuff.

Bazookas do not do splash in PSO either, except for one or two of them. IIRC one of the bazooka arts in PSZ does splash damage. Oh, and some weapons are useless to everyone? If you think PSO wasn't like this then you obviously were playing the wrong game. OH FUCK 50 HIT CHARGE VULCANS ODAM I JUST KILLED FALZ IN 30 SECONDS. You can use every weapon type in PSO but many are just plain stupid to use compared to others, aside from a couple rare variants of them that are useful, but that happens in PSZ as well.

Oh wow, you just called everyone who likes the game and thinks it is good is deluded, and you just assumed most people find the game not fun at all.

PSZ has no rares, just a handful of skins. Fuck, this sounds like PSO again! Not counting v3 and up again because, as I said, they were on more-powerful consoles than v1 and v2.

R3volver
May 31, 2009, 08:38 PM
If your weapon has a PA on it, you hold down one of the attack buttons (doesn't matter which) and then when the icon changes and you hear the right sound (plus the effects around your character change) then let go of the button and you'll use up some PP and perform a Photon Art. You can do this with magic as well; for instance charging up Foie makes you essentially through a grenade made of fire. Think PSU's Rafoie, only the explosion doesn't randomly appear. It isn't like PSO's where you target an enemy and anything close enough gets hurt as well.

On that note, weapons have photon arts attached to them when they drop, along with status effects (which are inflicted by beating the shit out of an enemy like usual until it works, which is usually pretty quick). You can also add/change the arts or effects on some weapons at this game's tekker, who does not deal with SPECIAL WEAPONS zOMG anymore.

When I played all I did was spam photon arts. I would have rather had a 5 shot spread or long sword that could hit 5 enemies rather than sitting there holding down a button for 3 seconds and doing the same pa over and over and over and when you dont use pa the weapon is usually garbage.

and speaking of rares pso had like heavens punisher spread needle egg blaster meteor smash flame visit inferno bazooka TONS of rares and mags to choose from. PSZ had a very small selection and nothing that does massive damage to a crowd of enemies like a proper spread weapon. instead you get a beam gun that sucks horrifically. the rares are just reskins with the same affect of normal weapons

Triple_S
May 31, 2009, 08:53 PM
When I played all I did was spam photon arts. I would have rather had a 5 shot spread or long sword that could hit 5 enemies rather than sitting there holding down a button for 3 seconds and doing the same pa over and over and over and when you dont use pa the weapon is usually garbage.
I spam Photon Arts as well because they do the most damage. However I can easily take down enemies with regular attacks and not have a problem. In PSO, most people spammed sacrificials or the weapons that would freeze or paralyze. Oh, and a five-shot shotgun that did piss-poor damage isn't much better than a 3-shot shotgun that does piss-poor damage. Both suck and both have better options. Also I don't have much of a problem multi-hitting enemies with a sword. Granted I don't use them much since I prefer the Gunslash type, but I have used them.

and speaking of rares pso had like heavens punisher spread needle egg blaster meteor smash flame visit inferno bazooka TONS of rares and mags to choose from. PSZ had a very small selection and nothing that does massive damage to a crowd of enemies like a proper spread weapon. instead you get a beam gun that sucks horrifically. the rares are just reskins with the same affect of normal weapons
A lot of those were added after v1. Plus a good amount of them are useless. Heaven's Punisher and Spread Needle are probably the only good ones you listed. MAYBE Inferno Bazooka if given to a FOmarl in v3/BB, but once again this is talking about the third and fourth iteration of a game on more powerful systems. Also, aside from a small amount the rares in PSO had the same effects you could get on normal weapons as well. Also, nothing in PSO did massive damage to a crowd of enemies except for swords and partisans, and we have one of those anyways. The partisan was expendable and was replaced with a spear which does Stab, Stab, Wide Swipe combo and does a good enough job anyways.

Stop trolling, you suck at it.

furrypaws
May 31, 2009, 09:08 PM
Ironically, a lot of your descriptions towards PS0 sound like complaints for PSO.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of v2, which is almost worse for a few reasons.

Recall how many of the rare weapons were obtainable through less than 1000 hours of gameplay. Then recall how many of those were actually useful.

Red Handgun. Imperial Pick. Did I miss anything?

Also.

EDIT: Continue this in PMs, please.