PDA

View Full Version : Pattern of Corruptions (?)

Vantamiath
Feb 17, 2003, 11:17 PM
My brother just got corrupted.

He uses Broadband, has a Nintendo brand memory card, is as legit as I am, and was level 150.

I have heard rumors that being the person who creates the game is the safest bet of not getting corrupted, and my brother thinks that whoever joins last has the highest corruption rate. (He joined last) I was wondering if anyone knew any extra info on this, because I asked many online friends and they thought joining last also had the highest corruption rates.

Anyone know for sure?

Zolpner
Feb 17, 2003, 11:23 PM
i geuss that would make sense because the last person would have to 'ping' off everyone else
i cant conferm it though v_v

RagMasterRappy
Feb 17, 2003, 11:24 PM
How old is the GameCube? It seems that people with the most problems have old hardware. My system only locked up two or three times in the lobby after loging in. This corruption business seems a bit unrealistic at times.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RagMasterRappy on 2003-02-17 20:25 ]</font>

Vantamiath
Feb 17, 2003, 11:29 PM
He got it this Xmas, mine has FSODed numerous times, but Ive never been corrupted.

thewiredknight
Feb 17, 2003, 11:58 PM
Don't be the fourth person to join a team.
Don't try and enter lobbies that have 95+ people in them.

Those are the largest factors of FSOD so avoid that and you will take away a lot of risk.

Electr0synth
Feb 18, 2003, 12:56 AM
On 2003-02-17 20:58, thewiredknight wrote:
Don't be the fourth person to join a team.
Don't try and enter lobbies that have 95+ people in them.

Those are the largest factors of FSOD so avoid that and you will take away a lot of risk.

Yeah, the lobby thing sucks, I Froze up three times today just trying to get in lobbys... (For some reason, the first time i still had all of my items...)

Tigereye
Feb 18, 2003, 02:30 AM
My theory is that the corrupting FSOD is linked with the regular FSOD that was present from day 1. The way I see it, the best way to avoid corruption is to stay away from crowded ships and lobbies. It's worked for me so far. At the same time, if ST can miraculously fix the regular FSOD (due to over populated lobbies) then I think that the corrupting FSOD will vanish as well.

BurgerDog_
Feb 18, 2003, 04:07 AM
I corrupted and was the 4th to join the team. I was told by some friends that it's always the 4th that corrupts, I should've learned this ealier.

Vantamiath
Feb 18, 2003, 01:02 PM
This should get posted as news, I think PSOW should acknowledge that joining last may be the biggest factor in character corruptions.

august
Feb 18, 2003, 03:26 PM
well, many have speculated that if the block has 99 people, and 2 people try to join to hit the 100th spot, theyll both freeze.........

i'm assuming being the 4th person to join a game would have the same effect if two people tried at perhaps the exact same time.

were there lots of people standing around the guild counter when this has happened?

BTW, im on modem, and have FSOD'd twice. My GC is from Xmas, and it's happened both times while changing blocks, onto a block wth more than 90 ppl.

I did the trick where you load the char it froze up on as a temp char, and transferred her stuff. Worked fine. Everything I didnt move, all inventory items, bank items, etc, were gone.

The second time, I transferred all my stuff over, but nothing disappeared? my equipped stuff might have gone had i not transferred it, but anyhow, i didn't lose anything.

So, use the temp char trick, and do what the person said above..... Don't join blocks with 95+ on it..... and I never join a game with 3 ppl unless there is very few people around the counter.

Elusive_Llama
Feb 18, 2003, 03:37 PM
Are you using PPPoE or DHCP for your broadband connection? I heard this from somebody else a while back, so don't quote me if I get the details wrong...

You're using DHCP if you checked the options for automatically resolving addresses in your network config for the GC.

You're using PPPoE if you enter values manually.

Also, are you using a router, or are you directly connected to your cable modem (ie. pulling the ethernet plug out and connecting it to your BBA whenever you want to go online)?

ginko990
Feb 18, 2003, 05:42 PM
Well apparently now the Second Save FSOD curroption has been completly fixed, soooo until it happens to someone else you know should be safe ^_^

I wonder what the next bug will be?

Kronos
Feb 18, 2003, 09:36 PM
Well... I just got home and my little bro informed me that he had played online and been corrupted...
I managed to find out that he was the fourth person to join a game and was frozen in the middle of joining. And I tried the temp char trick and the game recognizes the data in slot B as corrupted.

Oh well..

(56K/Nintendo's 59)

ginko990
Feb 19, 2003, 12:12 AM
On 2003-02-18 18:36, Kronos wrote:
Well... I just got home and my little bro informed me that he had played online and been corrupted...
I managed to find out that he was the fourth person to join a game and was frozen in the middle of joining. And I tried the temp char trick and the game recognizes the data in slot B as corrupted.

Oh well..

(56K/Nintendo's 59)

eep, sux. XD

Barubary6
Feb 19, 2003, 03:17 AM
An important thing to remember is that the double-save does not cause FSODs. Only existing game bugs can cause FSODs. The double-save just makes FSODs much worse when they do happen.

I believe now that what causes the crashing is a receive buffer overflow occurring while the game is unresponsive (IE, loading). Packets sent while the game is in a loading screen get queued until the client is ready to process them again. However, this queue has a fixed size. It's quite possible that the FSODs are caused by too much data coming in before the game can process it.

Being the 4th person in a team could raise the risk tremendously, if the above is true. If you are the 4th user, it means that you are getting incoming burst data from 3 users! That certainly could make it easier for the problem to occur.

-- Barubary

pixelate
Feb 19, 2003, 03:26 AM
I think it's caused by sunspots.

azumarill5678
Feb 19, 2003, 12:09 PM
What is the "Double-Save" feature?

milk
Feb 19, 2003, 08:57 PM
The double save feature is a feature enacted by ST to remove some duping bugs.

Blenjar
Feb 19, 2003, 09:19 PM
THis is what happen when my file got corrupted:
http://www.raceworx.com/funnypics/shit%20my%20pants.jpg

Tigereye
Feb 19, 2003, 10:00 PM
I've also wondered if ST has tried stress tests with enough users during the JP trial. If they did, these FSODs might've been corrected.

Maelkith
Feb 19, 2003, 11:11 PM
well i just lost my characters to corruption. i was on deneb 1 and the ship had 4 lobby idlers. there were a whopping 4 games being played, so the total users were around 20. crowded servers dont neccessarily cause corruption. i joined a game 4th.

R.I.P. Daemon 148, Spooner 126, Crosius 102, and Grifter 71.