PDA

View Full Version : How can you attack through Mother Brain's shield?

Inazuma
May 27, 2009, 12:54 AM
Normally when Mother Brain puts up her shield, you can't do any damage to her but for whatever reason, sometimes you can. Does anyone know what causes this to happen or better yet, how to make it happen?

As an example of what I mean, here is a screenshot of me attacking Mother Brain and doing damage even though she has her shield up. You can't actually see the shield in this shot, but it was up at the time. I was able to hit her 4 times with deega thanks to it.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk183/inazuma65/mbshielddamage.jpg

DreXxiN
May 27, 2009, 01:07 AM
I thought it was based on how the person with the slowest connection/computer rendered (Aka if they see the shield or not), but I'm not sure. I Just say that because it doesn't let me attack the shield when I solo much.

More than likely just poor programming.

Anduril
May 27, 2009, 01:07 AM
Most times that I've been able to damage her while the shield is up have been when I'm actually inside the shield and stuck (like when you get caught inside of a Svaltus). Although there have been times when it seems like the shield just isn't working even though it is physically up, so I'm not entirely sure what may cause it.

Gibdozer
May 27, 2009, 07:09 AM
Even when you can hit her through the shield the damage is drastically reduced, this leads me to believe that she throws both absolute and semi-permeable versions of the shield. Of course this is an assumption based only on my observations of the phenomenon.

SabZero
May 27, 2009, 07:53 AM
Well, you're not supposed to be able, so that is a bug. Exploiting/using it to your advantage is a bannable offense, just pointing that out.

mvffin
May 27, 2009, 01:16 PM
It happened to our team a LOT during GBR. It seems like either the shield "breaks" after hitting it a few times, or we were sort of "inside" the shield. We didn't really pay that much attention, I just kept using Jabroga anyways. = P

Triple_S
May 27, 2009, 04:33 PM
Well, you're not supposed to be able, so that is a bug. Exploiting/using it to your advantage is a bannable offense, just pointing that out.

So they should have just stood there and waited, right? Sure...

That's like saying you can be banned for playing on any frameskip other than 0.

Why?

Frameskip 0 is how the game is supposed to run, the other options are for those with computers that cannot handle frameskip 0. In higher frameskips, a lot of PAs get affected, which is not supposed to happen. A lot of PAs that move the player around, such as Tornado Dance and Chuei, do not travel as far. The timing for Just Attacks is also different. Let's not forget that depending on the frameskip, Chikki can either be really hard to turn or be able to do a full 360 throughout the course of the second hit.

Shoddy coding. Isn't supposed to happen. Obviously people should either play on frameskip 0 or not use the affected PAs (read: a large amount of them), right? Otherwise they are exploiting the abnormal behavior and should be banned. Right?

No?

Then stop being such a goody-goody. This is hardly avoidable and would actually make LESS sense to avoid doing. Considering how badly synced this game can get, not to mention all the funny collision boxes, it would be almost impossible.

Hrith
May 28, 2009, 06:55 AM
There is no game hosting in PSU =/

SabZero
May 28, 2009, 08:28 AM
Normally when Mother Brain puts up her shield, you can't do any damage to her but for whatever reason, sometimes you can. Does anyone know what causes this to happen or better yet, how to make it happen?

(emphasis mine)

The OP is asking how to make it happen conistently, which qualifies as exploiting a bug. Straw man arguments aren't going to cut it, Triple_S.

Dragwind
May 28, 2009, 09:46 AM
It doesn't seem to be something that is exploitable, but either a bug or latency issue when it does happen unless there is another undefined characteristic to Mother Brain's shield.

Dhylec
May 28, 2009, 09:55 AM
Let's say this topic is controversial & unclear. I'll close it so that no one will violate rules for discussing details of this potential cheap glitch. ;]