PDA

View Full Version : Crossbows vs Cards

thunder-ray
May 28, 2009, 11:54 PM
I plan on doing GT soon and I would like to know from all of you which of the two weapons I should use. Should I use crossbows or should I use cards?

Tetsaru
May 29, 2009, 12:41 AM
I'd go with crossbows. They're like a mini-shotgun once you level your bullets up. Not sure about the damage and elemental % mods, though... it's been a while since I last played FG, lol. ^_^;

Dymalos
May 29, 2009, 01:23 AM
I also use Crossbows over Cards. Machineguns (which I also use) are better DPS than either weapon, but Crossbows are hard to beat when it comes to Status Effects.

Hiero_Glyph
May 29, 2009, 01:24 AM
I'd go with the Crossbows as well because they fire slightly faster than Cards, have a higher status effect level (@ 21+), and you can use S-ranks. Crossbows are also better for crowd control.

unicorn
May 29, 2009, 02:17 AM
I dunno, I find that Cards work better on single target enemies. I use Crossbows to control enemies and for SEs.

Darki
May 29, 2009, 11:08 AM
I'd use both on GT, honestly.

unicorn
May 29, 2009, 11:44 AM
@ lvl 40:
Crossbow = 155% ATP; 60% ACC; 18% Elemental; SE 3
Card = 170% ATP; 70% ACC; 29% Elemental; SE 2

For the most part, Cards do more damage, but only to ONE target. Keep in mind with the supplemental update, Crossbows do NOT gain any extra ATP every level after 40. I'm not sure how it works for Cards (since I havent seen pics), but Cards do gain 33% Elemental at 41.

Crossbows are much better for dealing SEs though, which can sometimes do more damage (like Burn and Virus).

I'd say any good GT should learn to use both. If not, then Crossbows atleast (since they can be used as a replacement for Cards).

skarlett
May 29, 2009, 12:19 PM
Cards - high damage against single target, decent range, easy to hit and to control your target. Very fast and easy to level and just look attractive :3
Crossbow - best SE spreader and tool for crowd control. Damage is lower, useless for bosses, little annoying to level and absolutely worthless before 21 pa lvl. Tuma has flashy bullet effect, so you can use it to annoy people XD
I'd say use both (i certaily do), but if you really must choose, go with crossbow (especially ice, fire and dark) for crowd control and SE.

Dymalos
May 29, 2009, 02:52 PM
Cuba Simba has the most amazing looking bullet ever.

panzer_unit
May 29, 2009, 03:58 PM
Cards have a long travel time regardless of how far the target is...
if A and B start to attack with crossbow and card at the same time, A would be 1-2 volleys ahead of B for damage done... cards would eventually catch up but before the target dies? I dunno.

Ruru
May 29, 2009, 04:23 PM
i'd have to say crossbows. as panzer said the DPS is actually higher on crossbow than cards even though cards have the higher atp and element % the amount of time it takes per hit (even while using strafe to make them come out faster) is slower than crossbow fire rate, so you'd actually get more damage over time from crossbows than cards.

also as most said the SE of crossbows is higher level and is better for crowd control compared to cards that only hit one target.

but really in the end its up to your preference. i prefer cards for the fact that you have alot more movement during the animation and they look nice (especially S ranks) but for over all i'd say go with crossbows.

biggabertha
May 29, 2009, 05:55 PM
Crossbow is SO much easier to use.

Seriously, anyone using Throwing Blades is a masochist or a REALLY good player - I really can't stand how long they take to actually HIT things. I prefer Handgun over Throwing Blades just because I can shoot something quickly and accurately.

Crossbows are very strong and level up really quickly and easily - not as quick as Throwing Blades but not too far off either after reaching Lv. 21.

Dymalos
May 29, 2009, 06:07 PM
Alot of people cite being able to glitch Cards by varying the strafe/standing animation to accelerate their rate of fire. I'm not sure how to do it exactly, but I'd imagine it's simpler to do on PC than on a console.

Ruru
May 29, 2009, 06:11 PM
it's not really hard. you'll notice a difference in the speed at which you can fire out cards while strafing than while just standing still. the animation for actually swinging the card while strafing is faster than while standing still so the cards come out at a slightly faster rate. it's not really a glitch so much.

thunder-ray
May 29, 2009, 10:07 PM
Well after reading all of you guys thoughts I will have to go with crossbows on this one. I will however lvl cards after ive lvled all of my element crossbows to 31+. I thank all of you for your thoughts :).

Hrith
May 30, 2009, 03:33 AM
Crossbows are A LOT more powerful, cards are practically useless compared to crossbows, and it's very hard to single out a target with cards, which is another major drawback.

lantis-zagato
May 30, 2009, 05:10 PM
I leveled up PA's for both weapons on my guntecher. Eventually I stopped using cards because it seemed almost pointless having two weapons that do essentially the same thing and xbows have a few extra uses. Crowd control and status effects. I kill stuff at the same speed with both basically. Plus it's nice using xbows because you are the only class that gets them at S rank. If I had to choose only one it would be xbows. If you are just starting the class try both.

Triple_S
May 30, 2009, 06:46 PM
Crossbows are very strong and level up really quickly and easily - not as quick as Throwing Blades but not too far off either after reaching Lv. 21.

What the fuck

Mine do not. Maybe at 21+ they do, but that is when they are useful. Not as bad as Rifle leveling (DEAR GOD) but still...

Tsavo
May 31, 2009, 01:39 AM
Crossbows all the way. Better damage, status effect, more practical, and you can point blank with them for single target damage if need be. Xbow is a badass little gun, wish GT wasn't the only one to have it in S rank.

MSAksion
Jun 3, 2009, 11:17 AM
Crossbows ARE a GT's main weapon - its an S-rank and here's why.

1) Status 3 x 3 bullets = 3 enemies status'ed.
2) Status 3 x 3 bullets = 1 enemy with 3 status chances.
3) Repeat till enemies are helpless to your mobile ranged assault.

Heres my combat plan for any crossbow bullet + 7* Cometarac Wand (zalure / Zodeel) Note - buffs no need for high TP just PP.

1) Strafe in shooting Crossbow.
2) Enter 21+ Debuff range
3) Debuff squad lower Defense and Evasion
4) Strafe sideways to dodge still shooting
5) LOL at status'ed Squad of monsters.
6) Breathing room - heal the team, buff team, kill monsters. Choices.....

On the right element monster in one 3 shot burst you can be doing well over 1200 dmg split among 3 targets. Even higher if Beast or cast.

For Cards - Honestly i onlly have ICE because the near all of flying monsters in this game are FIRE. And my 9* Rifles take down fliers much faster anyway.

Tips on Leveling Crossbow

Make sure all bullets hit. if you're at 11+ you have that weird V shape - just stand between 2 monsters and hit both. Or shoot one really close.

Darius_Drake
Jun 3, 2009, 11:35 AM
The SE of xbows are always nice, but lets face it. Nothing is as beautiful as controlling a roomful of enemies with a Cuba Tuma. :D

What the fuck

Mine do not. Maybe at 21+ they do, but that is when they are useful. Not as bad as Rifle leveling (DEAR GOD) but still...

Why did you have to go there. I am still having bad dreams late at night about rifle leveling. :(

that cast named kai
Jun 3, 2009, 11:38 AM
crossbows

the dps works out to be better than cards as well as getting s-ranks access as well

(although mechguns work well for dps as well, not as great a choice as it would be for a FI, but it can add up rather quickly, along with PA lvling being rather quick to get to a high %)

Volcompat321
Jun 3, 2009, 11:44 AM
Look up "Sovalou" in th pso-w users. He is by far the BEST Guntecher there has ever been.
He does an amazing job at it. He will tell you all the answers you need lol.

Dymalos
Jun 4, 2009, 12:02 PM
crossbows

the dps works out to be better than cards as well as getting s-ranks access as well

(although mechguns work well for dps as well, not as great a choice as it would be for a FI, but it can add up rather quickly, along with PA lvling being rather quick to get to a high %)

I have both FI and GT at 20 for my level 150 Beast. I find that Machinegun damage (augmented with lvl 21 Buffs) on the GT is significantly higher when compared with FI. Now if you can get into a group with buffs as Fi, then the tables turn.

Hiero_Glyph
Jun 4, 2009, 09:30 PM
I have both FI and GT at 20 for my level 150 Beast. I find that Machinegun damage (augmented with lvl 21 Buffs) on the GT is significantly higher when compared with FI. Now if you can get into a group with buffs as Fi, then the tables turn.

This is wrong as the FI can always use an Agtaride. FYI, there is only a 4% difference between an Agtaride and the GT's Shifta buff. When you factor that into the Machinegun damage you will realize that the FI always has the advantage.

thunder-ray
Jun 4, 2009, 11:56 PM
This is wrong as the FI can always use an Agtaride. FYI, there is only a 4% difference between an Agtaride and the GT's Shifta buff. When you factor that into the Machinegun damage you will realize that the FI always has the advantage.Does this also include the element % of the bullet pa? What I mean is does the FI still have the advantage dmg wise over the GT even if his bullet is lvl 31+?

biggabertha
Jun 5, 2009, 04:03 AM
Human male Fighgunner 20 has 1821 ATP at Lv. 150.
Human male Guntecher 20 has 1606 ATP at Lv. 150.

Burning Fury 30 has 155% Att. 20% element
Burning Fury 40 has 170& Att. 24% element

Machinegun bases it's damage HEAVILY from base ATP. If you have abysmal ATP then you're kinda buggered with Machineguns.

Perhaps solo, you may have an argument that shot for shot, a Guntecher deals (slightly) bigger numbers than the Fighgunner if the Guntecher gets to use Shifta 30 while the Fighgunner only gets Agtaride/Megistaride. This gap is probably only known for Beast Fighgunners and Beast Guntechers though but for almost everyone else, I doubt it will make much of a difference.

Lv. 50 Shifta will always put the Fighgunner ahead of the Guntecher with Machineguns.

Segya
Jun 5, 2009, 11:41 AM
Where do you have your stats from bigga? I have a hard time finding up to date, complete info.

Hrith
Jun 6, 2009, 08:11 AM
Here >_>

Segya
Jun 6, 2009, 08:32 AM
I never noticed that stat calculator, thanks.
Though it's somehow different from what Bigga posted (favoring Fighgunner even more).

Hrith
Jun 6, 2009, 12:13 PM
Human male Fighgunner 20 has 1821 ATP at Lv. 150.
Human male Guntecher 20 has 1606 ATP at Lv. 150.Those are post supplemental update stats, though.