PDA

View Full Version : Bad at remembering

Keely
May 30, 2009, 05:30 AM
My memory is bad and it makes me sad. When it really bothers me I start reading articles on how to improve it. They suggest eating certain foods but guess what...I forgot what the foods were. However what I really want to know is what is going on in the mind of a person with a great memory. For example what happens when they watch a movie and an actor says a funny line that they want to quote later? Do they immediately say the line again in their head after they hear it?

Volcompat321
May 30, 2009, 07:20 AM
I am one of those people that remember almost everything. When it comes to your example, I usually just say it in my head, and pretty much think of a way to bring it up later. Other than your example, I usually try to find something I can relate it (it being the thing in question) later. If it's something that interests me personally, I really don't have to find something to relate it to. Like skateboarding, I love the sport, and been doing it my whole life, so I wouldn't even have to try and relate something to it cause I would remember pretty much automatically. Something like a math formula (when I was in school, math was my favorite subject), I still had to try and relate and use the formula in normal everyday life in order to keep it in my head. I thought of some pretty odd stuff when trying to remember things. I actually found in my personal "tests" saying something over and over again (like a locker combo or number) would actually hurt my chances of remembering. What I would do is; say it once or twice, then "stick" it in the back of my head. When the time came to remember it, it seemed to pop up like I was thinking about it my whole life.

SStrikerR
May 30, 2009, 11:01 AM
I don't have any clue how my memory is so good. I can remember weird things, like how I met people in PSO and PSU from a few years ago. It really depends on my feeling about the event. If it's something I don't care about (Algebra for example) I usually forget things pretty fast. If the event s important, or just a little thing that brightened my day a little, then I remember it for a long time.

edit: As for movie quotes, I just remember funny things easily.
Also, if you want to find foods that could allegedly help your memory, you could always look them up on the internet and write them down. Then pin the list to your fridge or something.

Rasputin
May 30, 2009, 12:28 PM
My memory is odd. I remember a lot of things, but I never remember what it is that I'm trying to remember at that moment. In other words, my short-term memory is balls as fuck, but I have great long-term. Excellent. I'm the guy who goes to the market with a list, but then check outs, goes home, then realizes that he forgot he had a list, and ends up forgetting something important. Yeah, shit like that.

tl;dr To combat poor memory, make every password you have the same.

Kent
May 30, 2009, 03:42 PM
I wrote a similar thing in this section (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158497) on the same subject - though, from the opposite point of view.

It can be frustrating (no doubt, on both sides of the situation), when you can't understand how someone does something, because of what are (probably) physical differences, rather than habitual or mental differences (I realize there's probably not a PC way of saying that).

I can't tell you what I do to remember as much as I do - because there's literally nothing. It's entirely passive retention of memory, and very much not an active process. It can be incredibly frustrating at times, too, especially when people are under the impression that things you remember, are things you consider important. Therefore, if you remember everything about someone, you're obsessive, but if you forget the basic key things about them (birthday, favorite color, etc.) then you're portrayed as thinking of them as an unimportant and trivial person, which is ultimately insulting (as some could see the opposite as being, as well).

Nitro Vordex
May 30, 2009, 04:57 PM
My memory is horrible for someone my age. I could go downstairs to get food, and I'd end up checking the pool, watching TV, discussing politics with my dad, helping my gramma with something, calling a friend, and come back upstairs, only to realize that I'm hungry. By that time I don't even care.

Homework is another problem for me. People always say, "Oh, write it in your agenda/student planner!"

Except I forget to look at the planner.

I couldn't remember one of my friend's names for at least 4 months after I met him, and I hung out with him at school every day.

I'd forget my own name if I didn't write it constantly. When I came back to school in August, I actually forgot my own last name, which was really embarrassing.

Other than trying to constantly thing of what I want to remember, there's really nothing I can consciously do. I really think it has to do with me hanging on to older memories. I can remember the house my mom and I used to live in when I was 2 in great detail, yet I sometimes forget how to write in cursive.

Vanzazikon
May 30, 2009, 05:10 PM
I'm only forgetful if the information is uninteresting to me. If it's something I find interesting, I'm sure to remember it. Unless certain events was taking place during when the information was being passed.

Nitro Vordex
May 30, 2009, 05:20 PM
It's also weird what kind of details I'll remember.

I won't remember someone's name when they told me, but I'll notice that they shaved earlier that day or they have a slight limp.

UnluckyHunter
May 31, 2009, 04:16 PM
They typically suggests antioxidants for memory improvement. You know, things like Vitamins C and E. But, unless (wait, should that be, "even if?") you're on a junk food diet, odds are you're already getting plenty. If you have doubts, just eat more fresh fruit.

Our minds work in different ways. Some use acronyms and other mnemonic devices. Never works for me. I think I just make really strange relations (whatever makes sense for me). But, as with all things, practice makes perfect. There are some sites (Like sporcle.com) that have tons of things for you to memorize in a more user friendly game format. Practice, practice, practice.

SStrikerR
May 31, 2009, 08:22 PM
It true, try different things to try to remember things, and see which works best. One of my friends learned the definition of lugubrious by remembering cucumbers. How? Lugubrious is similar to legumbres, the spanish word for vegetables. It was weird and I don't know how the hell that helped her memorize the definition, but whatever works...

SabZero
Jun 1, 2009, 07:38 AM
The food they meant was probably Omega3 - get it from algae, flax seeds (need to crush them up), nuts or fish, if you absolutely must eat a corpse. :P

In any case, eat a good variety of vegetables, fruit and nuts, and you should be fine.

You can train your memory by making a point (conscious decision) of remembering stuff. Depending on your learning style, learning short poems might help, so do lyrics or just trivia (crossword puzzles come to mind).

AC9breaker
Jun 1, 2009, 08:12 AM
Masturbation is also good for increasing your memory.

Unit D79
Jun 3, 2009, 12:55 AM
memory is weird. i have shit short term memory, you should see me trying to buy stuff on psu, but my long term memory is photographic. it always throws me off though whenever i see recent changes.

darkante
Jun 3, 2009, 04:40 AM
Itīs kinda amasing that you can remember stuff almost perfectly from when you were very very young.
But the common stuff usually gets scrapped fast.
Memory is a funny thing, all that i can say.

phoenixboy
Jun 7, 2009, 12:17 AM
I only remember things that are not important, the rest I keep forgetting

bay sick
Jun 12, 2009, 01:29 AM
i have a HORRIBLEE memory also. feel your pain.

DreXxiN
Jun 12, 2009, 01:59 AM
Masturbation is also good for increasing your memory.

This probably isn't true, but I'll use it as another excuse for practicing such activities frequently.

bay sick
Jun 12, 2009, 02:07 AM
This probably isn't true, but I'll use it as another excuse for practicing such activities frequently.

rofl. burnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

DreXxiN
Jun 14, 2009, 04:28 AM
rofl. burnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Wut..

SabZero
Jun 14, 2009, 06:15 AM
bay sick must not like to love himself :P

unicorn
Jun 14, 2009, 08:33 AM
I have terrible memory too.... but I always happen to remember some BS.... ><