Sano
Jun 4, 2009, 12:28 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about FFXI?

DUN
Jun 4, 2009, 01:08 PM
yea that one is it any good?

Ruru
Jun 4, 2009, 01:42 PM
FFXI is a pretty good game if you have all the time in the world to play it. also this shouldnt really be in the PSU general board. it will probably get moved lol this is a PSU discussion forum.

DUN
Jun 4, 2009, 01:55 PM
hmmmmm im guessing sega cant beat square enix lmao so i guess im quiting psu today for for ffxi

Ruru
Jun 4, 2009, 02:00 PM
well i like PSU and FFXI and i actually tried playing both for a while but FFXI requires much more time. its a great game but if you cant put in the time you end up not being able to do much of anything after awhile. if you have a lot of time to dedicate to it though it is in fact alot more rewarding than PSU.

the thing i liked about PSU was you could put in just SOME time and get a lot of things done. i started having less and less time to play FFXI than i used to for the first 6 years i played it lol and realized i could no longer play that game. so i switched to PSU full time.

DUN
Jun 4, 2009, 02:20 PM
thanks for not yelling at me ruru but i have time lol i work at a hotle and we modded a xbox into like a laptop so im good but thanks plus i heard ff has a summoner and samurai which would be amazing

Sekani
Jun 4, 2009, 02:56 PM
Work on your English or you'll have a miserable time in FFXI, that much I can guarantee.

Actually, unless you can devote something like 70 hours a week to the game, you'll have a miserable time anyway.

AC9breaker
Jun 4, 2009, 03:17 PM
It sucks. Short and simple.

Dhylec
Jun 4, 2009, 03:23 PM
Actually, unless you can devote something like 70 hours a week to the game, you'll have a miserable time anyway.
I hope you're kidding, that more than working overtime, almost 2 weeks' worth of working time.

Lunairetic
Jun 4, 2009, 03:43 PM
He's exaggerating. The game can be played at your own pace. End game however, can be quite taxing on time. But Square listens to its users just about as much as SEGA to us, so don't really go expecting all that much more.

The game is on a whole different level of difficulty as well.

Sano
Jun 4, 2009, 05:43 PM
In actuality, you should not start now. Starting now would make you quit; there is too much that you need done so early on. Starting off without knowing anyone is why that would be nerve-wrecking. I've played the game for 5yrs+, now playing FFXI and PSU (less FFXI, more PSU heheh) and from what I suggest: Continue playing PSU until FFXIV comes out. It will save you the frustration, I can guarantee that.

The majority of them are too busy to constantly help you everyday to millimeter your way forwards. Starting off fresh, in a brand new MMORPG with everyone else, is an experience much more enjoyable than jumping into one that everyone else is miles ahead of you. Trust me.. I know its hard to trust over the interwebz but... just trust me man.

Sekani
Jun 4, 2009, 06:43 PM
I hope you're kidding, that more than working overtime, almost 2 weeks' worth of working time.

Only a little. 4-5 hours of partying to get EXP, 2-3 hours waiting for that party to form, and 4-5 hours of farming to afford all the hyper-expensive crap you need to buy or you'll never get a party ever, and you're already at about 10 hours a day.

You simply won't get far without a huge time investment.

Kent
Jun 4, 2009, 07:22 PM
While it's true that Final Fantasy XI does require a considerable time investment to get anything done, it's one of those games that's best played with a static group of friends, from the start - as opposed to relying on random groups of various people.

And unlike some other MMORPGs (like World of Warcraft), it caters itself significantly more to the very hardcore players, which is the core reason that many people say they hate the game, regardless of whether or not they realize it. It is, however, true to the Final Fantasy series in the depth and crafting behind its various arching storylines - I would say that most of them are genuinely amazing stories, even compared to many of the other entries in the series.

It's also worth stating that PSU is simply not an MMORPG - it's a very different kind of game that caters to a very different kind of audience. Whereas PSU is about a very action-oriented type of hack-and-slash RPG gameplay, Final Fantasy XI is much slower, much more methodical (i.e. no equivalent to just spamming PAs until you win), and has a very much higher reliance on teamwork if you want to get anything done. If you start playing, don't go into it expecting to solo much, because after a certain point, not many jobs can gain experience in any manner that could be considered efficient. It's all about teamwork - perhaps too much at times (while there is some merit at being able to solo things that are an appropriate level, an emphasis on teamwork is healthy for online games - but too much can be too much).

I stopped playing because I simply didn't have the time to keep at it any more, what with both work and college going on. Needless to say, now that I've graduated, I was kinda thinking of getting back into it... But I'll just wait for Final Fantasy XIV.

Ruru
Jun 4, 2009, 08:41 PM
to sum it all up. as i said earlier. you need a LOT of time to get anywhere in FFXI.

i played the game since beta up until about last year when i quit for money/lack of time reasons and stuck with PSU.

the real problem with FFXI is the fact that you have to depend on others to get anywhere in that game. whether its random people or friends you will always have to depend on a group of other players. that adds to the total amount of time played. and while 70 hours (as earlier stated) may sound like an exaggeration in reality with that game if you get to endgame, thats not far from the truth. take into account doing salvage limbus dynamis einherjar and any other activities like sky and sea and even camping land kings you can easily break 70 hours a week of play time. i have friends who havent even been playing since the start and have well over 1000 days (yes days) of play time which is considerably more than my 495 days of play time i had when i quit lol.

oh and to get some insight into some of those events

dynamis = 3 hours (dream dynamis = 2 hours) 2 times a week can = up to 6 hours a week
Salvage = 100 minutes up to 7 times a week can = up to 11.7 hours a week
limbus = anywhere from 30minutes to 100 minutes. 2 times a week. up to 3.3 hours a week
einherjar = 30 minutes 2 times a week. up to an hour a week

those times dont include gathering together and going to the areas to start the event.

sky and sea involves hours of farming gathering together and killing the NM's
landkings involve up to 3 hours of camping plus the time it takes to kill the monster. anywhere from 5-30 minutes maybe more if your group sucks.

i didnt even mention nyzul isle or assault.

nyzul isle = 30 minutes up to 7 times a week. up to 3.5 hours a week
assault = anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes. up to 7 times a week up to 3.5 hours a week

the main events take place twice a week. sky and sea can take place as many times as your linkshell cares to do them. Salvage can be done up to 7 times a week if you have the assault points to spam it. so if you are really into endgame stuff you can get fairly close to 70 hours, if you include waiting around for event times, farming for gil, exp parties, waiting for an invite to exp parties, doing missions BCNMs KSNMs SCNMs ENMs ZNMs. although i doubt everyone will be doing ALL these things EVERY week. if you did manage to have that kind of time. you could definitely break 70 hours or more each week.

Omega_Weltall
Jun 4, 2009, 08:49 PM
actually... 70 per week isn't really embellishing much

Lunairetic
Jun 4, 2009, 09:07 PM
Anyone doing Dynamis, Salvage, Limbus, Einherjar, and Nyzul at the same time is quite frankly out of their mind. I do Dynamis and Einherjar, with random pick-up Nyzul's and I play twice a week for maybe 4-5 hours each. And I'm by no means a gimp.

Ruru
Jun 4, 2009, 09:15 PM
before i quit and almost went insane. i was doing salvage 5 times a week limbus dynamis and einherjar. i ended up scheduling my life around the game and making sure i had certain days off to do said events. all i have to say is. i agree. you have to be out of your mind to do all those events, but there are tons of people that do that and more.

Lunairetic
Jun 4, 2009, 09:24 PM
Doesn't mean you have to be one of them, and competing with them is just as ridiculous. I know what its like to schedule your life around a game, but self control is something everyone should have in that regard.

Ruru
Jun 4, 2009, 09:31 PM
which is another reason i had to quit. i couldnt stand the fact that i had no "free time" in a game of all things. i would work come home and log on, and immediately be hit with /tells about where i needed to be and what was going on at the time. i had no me time. and if i didnt log on i felt like i was letting people down. it wasnt really about competing with others. it was that i had an obligation to get on and work with my group for whatever activity i HAD to do at that time. i had no more real life and even my fiancé was getting fed up with my play time. so it finally came down to the real decision. either cut my in game schedule down and put up with all the angry people or just quit entirely and not have to deal with it at all anymore. i can tell you quitting was a tough decision but well worth it in the long run.