PDA

View Full Version : Concept Art for new Zelda game! *drools*

OrangeTippedGun
Jun 4, 2009, 11:51 PM
Yeah. So Miyamoto didn't announce a new Zelda game this year.
But now he's tickling our balls with something as awesome as this. >_<

http://kotaku.com/5279554/first-look-at-new-zelda-games-concept-art

I'm so happy their using the same mature Link like those from Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time, I prefer those Links over the Toon Link from Wind Waker any day.
It also looks like it may be a sequel to Twilight Princess like how Majora's Mask was a sequel to Ocarina of Time and Phantom Hourglass to Windwaker.
God, this game is gonna be amazing.
*Dusts off Wii that hasn't been played since November of 06*

goldbrease
Jun 5, 2009, 12:02 AM
like i said in the e3 thread, the way she dresses kinda reminds me of the darkworlders. maybe its midna. perhpas its somehow the daughter of midna and link?! O.O

OrangeTippedGun
Jun 5, 2009, 12:05 AM
She bears a strong resemblance to that one fairy you meet in Wind Waker with the doll.
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/images/games/tww/characters/queenfairy.png
Just compare them side by side and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Kent
Jun 5, 2009, 12:31 AM
Obvious Master Sword anthropomorphization is obvious.

joefro
Jun 5, 2009, 01:21 AM
Hope its a new art style not seen from the Zelda series.

/newthreadforalle3news

goldbrease
Jun 5, 2009, 01:39 AM
so you think the master sword took a human form? you been watching soul eater haven't yah?

OrangeTippedGun
Jun 5, 2009, 10:45 AM
so you think the master sword took a human form? you been watching soul eater haven't yah?

Whats soul eater? Now that you say it, that does get me thinking. Maybe the mastersword did take a human form since you see Link with his shield and no sword.

Sano
Jun 5, 2009, 11:21 AM
Soul Eater was a GREAT anime! If they can somehow attempt to pull off a Zelda game, that is nicely done with some touch of Soul Eater, I'd be more than happy. I tried thinking of some different concepts of how the battle system could go but, my ideas need more time to fully develop, and I have to get ready for work soon. Don't wanna introduce them to you guys yet till they are decent :lol:.

Speculate Mode: ON!

Puppet_Papaya
Jun 5, 2009, 01:02 PM
Am I the only person in the world that prefers the Wind Waker toon look? Don't get me wrong, the realistic style looks great and still suits the game, but the cartoon style jsut has so much more character! Every person, every environment just scream personality! It makes me want to talk to everyone!

Outrider
Jun 5, 2009, 01:13 PM
Am I the only person in the world that prefers the Wind Waker toon look? Don't get me wrong, the realistic style looks great and still suits the game, but the cartoon style jsut has so much more character! Every person, every environment just scream personality! It makes me want to talk to everyone!

It's a beautiful and unique style that works great. Artistically, I think it's much more endearing and interesting than most of what we saw in Twilight Princess.

That being said, I don't have any problem with the TP style. It's always tried a little too hard to be dark and edgy, but it still has its moments. I'm perfectly happy with both of them living side-by-side as they are with the DS Zelda games (though the fact that Wind Waker was one of the best-looking games from the last generation of consoles does make me sort of wish that they would make a cel-shaded Zelda game on a more capable system than the DS).

Miaymoto said that he definitely wants to incorporate Wii Motion Plus into the new game, and that it might even require the additional hardware. He mentioned that we should check out the sword-fighting and archery games in Wii Sports Resort for examples of what they're looking into. I think that's definitely neat, but I don't want a Zelda game's combat to ever get too technical. Still, it'll be interesting to see what they do.

My guess is that we'll get something with additional motion controls as well as some "stylus"-esque controls brought in from Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks.

Dragwind
Jun 5, 2009, 02:12 PM
I hope we get to see more concept art soon, these pictures look cool and all, but most of the background seems pretty bland to me. I like the fusion of what seems to be a mix of the OoT and TP Link though.

Sexy_Raine
Jun 5, 2009, 02:13 PM
Surprising, I never really cared for the LoZ series. The only one I remember playing was the one for SNES. I never went pass the Dark World, where you're stuck as the rabbit thing. I just lost interest at that point. Go ahead and laugh. D:

One of my friends is a big fan of the series, and woud be happy to hear a new one will be coming eventually. Maybe TGS will show it? Who knows.

Split
Jun 5, 2009, 03:38 PM
I'll bet what they're saying about that girl being a living incarnation of the master sword (or some other blade) is true, seeing as link doesn't look like he has a sword on his back or in his hand.

Surprising, I never really cared for the LoZ series. The only one I remember playing was the one for SNES. I never went pass the Dark World, where you're stuck as the rabbit thing. I just lost interest at that point. Go ahead and laugh. D:Ha. I recommend you should at least go back and try Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.

Leviathan
Jun 5, 2009, 06:22 PM

YES YES YES TO THE Nth DEGREE!
Cell-shaded or not both are beautiful.

Surprising, I never really cared for the LoZ series. The only one I remember playing was the one for SNES. I never went pass the Dark World, where you're stuck as the rabbit thing. I just lost interest at that point. Go ahead and laugh. D:

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp251/GabbyLX/Funny/moron-13217-1.jpg

Zorafim
Jun 5, 2009, 06:56 PM
LttP is a pretty staple Zelda game. If you didn't enjoy the game enough to even make it to where the game starts, then it's obvious you don't have an interest in the series as a whole.
Though the word "stuck" worries me. In total, you shouldn't be in bunny form for more than half a minute.

I'm hoping this game works more on some holes I found to be in Twilight Princess. Though I found the game to be a great way to spend a weekend, I found the easiness of the boss fights (as epic as they were) and the lack of interaction with the community for most of the game rather perturbing. Sure, these aren't really important things in Zelda games, but these things were pretty noticeable in this game. I'm also hoping for less random items to stuff in your inventory, and more upgrades to items you already have. Almost every Zelda game has this, some random item that you use once and just eats a hole in your inventory screen. I'd so much rather have items that are used all the time, but upgraded occasionally to preform other tasks later.

Also, I can't help but notice these random guesses people keep throwing out into the wind. As far as information goes, we have less than a box set art. And people are already trying to piece together information. I love the series as much as anyone else (as if my username didn't give that away), but can't we wait until the game comes out before we get some information? What's the fun in knowing everything at the start?

AlexCraig
Jun 5, 2009, 07:03 PM
I'm REALLY anxious about this. I was kinda disappointed with how Spirit Tracks is looking, but this has renewed my hope for the series.
*Goes to add news to his Zelda site*

OrangeTippedGun
Jun 5, 2009, 11:43 PM
:D:D:D:D

Kent
Jun 5, 2009, 11:47 PM
Spirit Tracks... I think it was grabbed out of the same hat as the Wii Vitality Sensor.

Part of me thinks "Ooh! New Zelda on the DS!" and the other part of me thinks "...Trains are kind of lame. My dad might like this." While I didn't particularly enjoy sailing around in Phantom Hourglass, the rest of the gameplay more than made up for it. I especially liked having to be sneaky... And the boomerang is the most awesomest boomerang in a Zelda game ever.

Especially since you can, in a single throw, get a flock of angry chickens assaulting you.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 6, 2009, 12:04 AM
This game's hookshot better have a 500 foot range and the ability to knock the heads off of enemies.

At least the range.

I love the hookshot so much.

*ahem* Like Kent said, anthropmorphization is obvious, look at the girl. You can see the same gem on the Master Sword on her chest, and if you look at her upside down, her legs and dress form the blade and hilt, respectively.

I remember someone commenting somewhere else complaining about this Link being right handed. It is tradition, I get that, but you know, they're not all the same Link.

So, if Link doesn't have the Master Sword as well, a sword, what's he gonna use?

If he swings that woman around like a sword, I will reserve this game now. *holds up money*

Also:
[spoiler-box]http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/06/miyazelda.jpg[/spoiler-box]

KodiaX987
Jun 6, 2009, 12:13 AM
I remember someone commenting somewhere else complaining about this Link being right handed. It is tradition, I get that, but you know, they're not all the same Link.

Link's dominant hand is flipped in the Wii version of Zelda purely and simply because most players are right-handed.

AlexCraig
Jun 6, 2009, 01:34 AM
Precisely. I have GC Twilight Princess, and there he is left-handed, wheras on the Wii version of the game, he is right so that the controls feel right to the people who play him. That's all it is.

OrangeTippedGun
Jun 6, 2009, 02:11 AM
I was glad I got Twilight Princess for the Wii when I got my Wii. But now that I look back, I really wish I had gotten the GC version instead. Because I think the GC version would have offered a more authentic experience rather than the gimmicky Wii control scheme.
The Wii version has the same crappy camera controls as Ocarina of Time/Majorras mask. GC has an amazing free cam like Wind Waker.

goldbrease
Jun 6, 2009, 04:35 AM
there is another difference if i read the release article correctly. link is not only right handed in the wii version but the entire game world was mirrored to make to make him right handed to save time. or something like that. basically when you enter the town square in gc you go left to enter the castle in wii you go right instead.

Sexy_Raine
Jun 6, 2009, 10:41 AM
I'll bet what they're saying about that girl being a living incarnation of the master sword (or some other blade) is true, seeing as link doesn't look like he has a sword on his back or in his hand.

Ha. I recommend you should at least go back and try Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.

I only have an NES emulator on my computer with the original. If I can find an N64 or SNES one, I may give it a try. I'd like to try a LTTP again, and use GameFAQs to figure out everything :D

Zorafim
Jun 6, 2009, 05:15 PM
I really don't recommend the original unless you're a die-hard fan of the series. It's just too unwieldly in its puzzles for today's gamers. There are so many things in that game that I have no idea how anyone can figure it out, unless they spend months on the game (how a true game is meant to be played).

If you want a good, intuitive Zelda game, then Wind Waker or Twilight Princess is definitely the way to go. The puzzles are challenging, but shouldn't stump you. And the combat is nothing to worry about either. With these, you'll have the basis of the Zelda series, so you'll be able to play the harder, earlier ones without as much trouble.

Outrider
Jun 8, 2009, 10:29 AM
I was glad I got Twilight Princess for the Wii when I got my Wii. But now that I look back, I really wish I had gotten the GC version instead. Because I think the GC version would have offered a more authentic experience rather than the gimmicky Wii control scheme.
The Wii version has the same crappy camera controls as Ocarina of Time/Majorras mask. GC has an amazing free cam like Wind Waker.

Eh. The Wii version is better. I recently played through the GCN version to see if it felt any different, and while the sword controls are a little better mapped to a button, the rest of the motion controls totally make up for it.

As for the camera, the weird thing is that it's not as free-form as I remember it being in Wind Waker. It has a tendency to snap back behind link when you're trying to mess around with it.

ChronoTrigga
Jun 8, 2009, 12:17 PM
I'm pissed, they still have Link as a right handed person rather than the true left handed person he really is.

Split
Jun 8, 2009, 12:53 PM
The Wii version has the same crappy camera controls as Ocarina of Time/Majorras mask. GC has an amazing free cam like Wind Waker.plus, in the wii version literally everything in the game is flipped from left to right (Link, who has always been a lefty, now holds his sword righty

Niered
Jun 8, 2009, 01:30 PM
Im gonna get alot of hate for this, but Ive said it before.

Okami is a better Zelda game than any Zelda game to come out in the last decade.

To the point that unless I hear the next Zelda is Christ incarnate as a video game, I sincerely doubt Nintendo can do half as good a job as Clover did.

OrangeTippedGun
Jun 8, 2009, 03:15 PM
Eh. The Wii version is better. I recently played through the GCN version to see if it felt any different, and while the sword controls are a little better mapped to a button, the rest of the motion controls totally make up for it.

As for the camera, the weird thing is that it's not as free-form as I remember it being in Wind Waker. It has a tendency to snap back behind link when you're trying to mess around with it.

Oh really? I've never actually played the GC version. I was just assuming all of that.

Also, was I the only person who was very dissapointed by how easy the puzzles were and how short the boss battles were? I think Twilight Princess was probably the fastest I've ever beaten a Zelda game. And to this day I still think Oracle of Ages (for Gameboy color and I never beat because I couldn't get passed this dumb Goron dancing game) and Wind Waker (though extremely hard I managed to beat it without dying once) are still the hardest Zelda games I have ever played.

AlexCraig
Jun 8, 2009, 03:39 PM
I own every Zelda game to this point. ALTTP is still my favorite (beat it 100%, including the Chris Houlihan secret room and all 20 hearts).

Twilight Princess, while it has a great story and impressive graphics, is just that. It has very few mini games and side quests. I hope that they improve upon that in this new Zelda title.

Outrider
Jun 8, 2009, 04:38 PM
Im gonna get alot of hate for this, but Ive said it before.

Okami is a better Zelda game than any Zelda game to come out in the last decade.

To the point that unless I hear the next Zelda is Christ incarnate as a video game, I sincerely doubt Nintendo can do half as good a job as Clover did.

I'm about halfway through Okami right now, and while I find myself thinking that this is the most refreshing Zelda game since Shadow of the Colossus (we can chat about that later), it very quickly becomes clear that it's got its fair share of problems.

(Then again, it could just be because I'm playing the craptacular Wii port - Ready At Dawn studios did a pretty lackluster job on this one.)

It has a huge world, with dozens of original characters, wildly different areas, and the entire story is steeped in this wonderful realm of mythology. To me, those are the same reasons I fell in love with Ocarina of Time all these years ago.

But it has its flaws. A lot of the game simply lacks polish (though other areas do shine!) There are times that you will screw up in a boss fight or a platforming segment not because of your own mistakes, but through a poor design decision. The objectives aren't always clear, often pointing you in a vague direction and relying on trial-and-error to figure out what needs to be done next. And then there's the sometimes-excellent/sometimes-awful combat.

I really do like the game, though. I'm not being drawn in as much as some other games (though I'd chalk that up to my having less time to dedicate to long-term gaming these days), but it is very well-done. I'm not trying to say it's a bad game by any stretch of the imagination. It's just a clear case where the quality of the actual game and its mechanics are rescued by some excellent style and charm.

In a lot of ways, Okami is like Viewtiful Joe (which is sort of Clover's game): Cheap and repetitive at times, but ultimately very rewarding if you can look past its flaws.

But still - best Zelda game in ten years? The ten years before Okami came out include Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask & Wind Waker. You've got to not only be crazy to say it somehow tops those, but also missing the point entirely. Still, Okami is a great game, and is one of the best Zelda-esque titles in a long time.

goldbrease
Jun 9, 2009, 02:57 AM
well alot of okami's mini games are hidden into the normal gameplay. or even just hidden. things like the tshirt designs. or the traveling sisters. or the walls. i duno about the wii version but in the ps2 version the final wall guy i could not beat... so i could not get the final upgrade powder. all the bosses become insanely easy other then orochi and whatever the end thing is, once you get a ton of money and buy thoes expensive charms. a couple of those just floor bosses. also a great way to max rank them. also the weapons, i love the weapons!

グレッグ
Jun 9, 2009, 11:00 AM
Oh really? I've never actually played the GC version. I was just assuming all of that.

Also, was I the only person who was very dissapointed by how easy the puzzles were and how short the boss battles were? I think Twilight Princess was probably the fastest I've ever beaten a Zelda game. And to this day I still think Oracle of Ages (for Gameboy color and I never beat because I couldn't get passed this dumb Goron dancing game) and Wind Waker (though extremely hard I managed to beat it without dying once) are still the hardest Zelda games I have ever played.

Wind Waker is an easy game. I'm pretty sure Iwata said that, the game was toned down so that when people play the game they don't get so stupidly stuck that they never complete it.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 9, 2009, 11:55 AM
When they made Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Nintendo was already taking a turn for the worse their turn to casuals. That's why the games are so easy, so that anyone new to the series could easily get through it.

I'm pretty sure I died in Twilight Princess only because I was screwing around. Wind Waker was more annoying than hard, I'd say. It wasn't horribly hard, but it did make ya think sometimes.

Niered
Jun 9, 2009, 01:24 PM
But still - best Zelda game in ten years? The ten years before Okami came out include Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask & Wind Waker. You've got to not only be crazy to say it somehow tops those, but also missing the point entirely. Still, Okami is a great game, and is one of the best Zelda-esque titles in a long time.

No, Im talking about the last decade since now. Which leaves out majora and ocarina. But I will say that Okami is still better than Windwaker. Im not a windwaker hater by any means, but by and large many of the design ideas in Okami are considerably better than Windwaker.

-The baton is nowhere near as integral to the game as the Celestial Brush is in Okami.
-The problem with all Zelda games, which is that at least half of the items you get in Zelda are worthless for all but several puzzles in the game is still their. This problem almost doesnt even exist in Okami, with the exception of the wall climbing brush stroke. Otherwise every brush stroke is tied to puzzles as well as combat.
-Windwaker artificially lengthens its gameplay with that stupid TriForce fetch quest much like the Metroid Prime games do. This never happens in Okami and Okami still took me nearly twice as long to beat as Windwaker.
-And windwaker has next to no replay value. Okami has loads of it.

Jaspaller
Jun 10, 2009, 10:57 AM
I hope they up the difficulty for the game. Twilight Princess was a great game but it just felt too easy.