PDA

View Full Version : Why is being fat bad?

Volcompat321
Jun 12, 2009, 04:29 PM
I'm being for reals here.
Why is being a big boy or girl bad?
Why is frowned upon?
Why, why, why?

Lance813
Jun 12, 2009, 04:51 PM
If you eat enough for three people on a daily basis, that's bad.

I can't take this seriously.

Volcompat321
Jun 12, 2009, 04:55 PM
It wasn't really meant to be taken serious. In a way, I'm kinda curious though.
Every fat/big person is not to be blamed, sometimes there are extenuating circumstances where the person cant help it.

Leviathan
Jun 12, 2009, 04:56 PM
Someone people just have bad genes, while other are granted more amnesty.

I do believe they need to pay for more space on the airplanes though.

Delete
Jun 12, 2009, 04:57 PM
I don't see it bad at all. Everyone was born the way they were born, people should accept that.

Volcompat321
Jun 12, 2009, 04:58 PM
I do believe they need to pay for more space on the airplanes though.

I would have to agree. Some people are way too big to take up one seat. Or when they try and take one seat, and they hang over the other seat, it gets annoying.

Cris-P-Bacon
Jun 12, 2009, 05:01 PM
Its bad because it shows a lot about you. That you let yourself go, your too lazy to work yourself off, and you dont care about your body.
Also, its disguisting with fat overlapping fat. Im also not a fun of skinny-mini. I prefer people who are just right, not fat, not skinny.
People can be born big, but fat is a different picture.

Volcompat321
Jun 12, 2009, 05:03 PM
I'm a big boy, but in no way am I fat. I work out, run, and swim and don't get ripped with muscles, it's not about letting yourself go, it's about your body and how it works with your routine.

Lance813
Jun 12, 2009, 05:04 PM
Yeah, but people aren't born fat.

Bad parenting and lifestyle choices are usually what happens. Then your metabolism dies, and you're pretty much screwed.

I don't mind overweight people, Its fat kids that really piss me off. Poor kid never had a chance.

Volcompat321
Jun 12, 2009, 05:06 PM
Yea, I once knew a kid that weighed 320 or so pounds at 11 years of age.
Dude weighed 100 pounds more then me when I was 15! That was about 6 years ago, wonder what he's at now. That kid has no chance.

HolioArtillery
Jun 12, 2009, 05:08 PM
I don't see it bad at all. Everyone was born the way they were born, people should accept that.

stupidly obvious protip: you're typically born around 5-10 lbs, give or take.

That aside, as you are growing your diet effects things a hell of a lot (so I guess you can blame parents to a degree,) including how easily you put on or take off weight in the future. Under most curcumstances, you not are not born a predetermined fatty. It's brought about by nuture, not nature.

Volcompat321
Jun 12, 2009, 05:13 PM
Your right to an extent. You can be born with deformities, some that can affect the metabolism. You can be predetermined "fat" or big, by genes also, but only to an extent. With working out, and aerobic exercise you can help change that.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 12, 2009, 05:51 PM
All I have to say is:

inb4FKL

Rasputin
Jun 12, 2009, 07:38 PM
Fat people don't look healthy and probably aren't healthy. BOOM.

AlexCraig
Jun 12, 2009, 08:05 PM
Kind of interesting how views have changed. Way back when, being fat symbolized you had money enough to afford food, and in turn could raise a family well. Now it is all about being healthy and fit.

Sayara
Jun 12, 2009, 08:40 PM
But there is a difference between looking "healthy" and being Obese.

Volcompat321
Jun 12, 2009, 08:46 PM
Fat and obese are also two different things.
Fat is big, above average, slightly overweight.
Obese is -(spolier'd for ew factor)[SPOILER-BOX]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk115/Volcompat321/obese.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
Also it's unhealthy, horribly disgusting, and just...ew..
But like some people said, in some cases it cant be helped due to medical reasons and more.

Ezodagrom
Jun 12, 2009, 09:35 PM
Using non creepy images, I guess this is fat:

http://z.about.com/d/tvcomedies/1/7/n/5/-/-/homer_simpson.jpg

And this is obese:

http://nthdegree-designs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/fat-homer-simpson.gif

Right? XD

Vanzazikon
Jun 12, 2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah... I'm going to scoop out my eyeballs now.

Leviathan
Jun 12, 2009, 11:14 PM
I feel sorry for fat people though.

Volcompat321
Jun 12, 2009, 11:48 PM
Why would you feel bad for fatties?
That's the thing they don't want you to do.
Make fun of em and feel bad for em, it's a horrible thing.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 13, 2009, 12:49 AM
I feel sorry for fat people though.
Wait, like obese or just have a little extra?

I don't really think there's any reason to feel bad for an obese person. It's their choice, and it's not our problem to fix it, nor is it our choice. If someone wants to be fat or has no intention of changing that, let them. Quit shoving health down our throats.

Whoa, that came outta nowhere.

Anyway, having a little extra myself, I still think you can be healthy without being a twig or a weight lifter. I can go as fast as some football players and I've got average strength, only thing holding me back is asthma. (Fucking breathing.)

Rasputin
Jun 13, 2009, 01:03 AM
When walking behind a fat person on the sidewalk you have the following choices:

a) Walk around the fat person. Of course, its sheer size my shut off sidewalk access.
b) Kill the fat person. If you only have your bare hands this may prove difficult.
c) Offer the fat person deodorant so that walking behind it is bearable.
d) Offer the fat person celery in an attempt to make it less fat.
e) Find another way to your destination.

Powder Keg
Jun 13, 2009, 01:11 AM
Being fat due to laziness or metabolism (or lack thereof) is one thing, but I have to laugh at all of the BMI BS that gets shoved down people's throats. Muscle is not taken into account at all with it.

Volcompat321
Jun 13, 2009, 01:30 AM
Like I said, I'm a big boy, but I have muscle, it just doesn't show as much as I'd like it to. I'm not ripped, and I got a little extra, as Nitro put it. I love my weight, and structure. Don't feel bad for us big boys, I love it! I've also been training to become a police officer. It's a goal of mine. Although I'm not currently in school for it :( I figure I figured get fit first, then go to school.

drizzle
Jun 13, 2009, 03:29 AM
i disapprove of fat ppl b/c its unhealthy

Volcompat321
Jun 13, 2009, 03:35 AM
i disapprove of fat ppl b/c its unhealthy

Lies, like Nitro said, not all fat is unhealthy.
I for example is an example of being a "healthy fat".
I'm slightly fat, with a hint of awesome+built.
[SPOILER-BOX]I'm not really fat, but I work hard at my fitness level, and still get chunk. It's a shame. I been working for years and I'm still a "big guy" Just like I will always be.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Unit D79
Jun 13, 2009, 03:39 AM
i dont consider 20 extra pounds fat. thats just being on the big side.
obese, would is being like 75 pounds overweight. or 300 pounds... or A FREAKING HALF TON! who here hasnt seen the world's fattest man?

Volcompat321
Jun 13, 2009, 03:58 AM
i dont consider 20 extra pounds fat. thats just being on the big side.
obese, would is being like 75 pounds overweight. or 300 pounds... or A FREAKING HALF TON! who here hasnt seen the world's fattest man?

Yea, I'd agree with you. 75+ pounds is enough, and fat as fuck. lol.

Vanzazikon
Jun 13, 2009, 04:51 AM
Lies, like Nitro said, not all fat is unhealthy.
I for example is an example of being a "healthy fat".
I'm slightly fat, with a hint of awesome+built.
[SPOILER-BOX]I'm not really fat, but I work hard at my fitness level, and still get chunk. It's a shame. I been working for years and I'm still a "big guy" Just like I will always be.[/SPOILER-BOX]I guess you weren't around when ol' zuma made that comment. God he cracked me up badly.

Itachi1990
Jun 13, 2009, 11:57 AM
Im big but im not really fat i have some fat from before because of my bad soda addiction but otherwise I can eat all I want because of my fast metabolism.I hate it when people call me fat because im just big and i was born big (12lb).About a month ago i got this BMI shit at my school and it really pissed me of it said that im overweight and that i should eat better and exersice more but I eat fine and work out alot like Artea said muscle is not taken in to account in it.Sometimes i just want to come to school without my shirt and show people that im not fat >.>

Lance813
Jun 13, 2009, 12:35 PM
I'm not gonna lie. My metabolism kicks major ass, I still weigh the same I did in high school. I really will be fucked when it dies down.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 13, 2009, 12:53 PM
I've actually got an excellent metabolism, unfortunately, I gained a little extra when I was a kid, and when you get that it's extremely difficult to get rid of. Still possible,though.

I've been 175 for 4 years. I'm pretty sure I've stopped growing, at least vertically. ._.

Volcompat321
Jun 13, 2009, 12:56 PM
Depending on how tall you are, or aren't, that's actually not a bad weight. It's still healthy unless your like 5'0'' lol.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 13, 2009, 01:02 PM
I'm like 5' 8". With shoes. <_>

I've also got a lot of leg muscle from running around and riding bikes my whole life.

Volcompat321
Jun 13, 2009, 01:13 PM
That's not too bad then. I'm just under 6' and I been skating my whole life.
Big boys can skate :D lol

thunder-ray
Jun 13, 2009, 01:31 PM
Im 6'2 and I weight about 220 pounds right now. When I dont work out I end up puttig on like 25 to 30 more pounds in about 3 weeks. The biggest ive ever been in my whole life was 256 pounds (yes I was a fatass ><). I lost 46 pounds of it When I went to graveyard at my job 2 years ago. Then I gained 10 pounds of it back and from then on my weight goes from 225 or 215 since ive been working out lately.

BlaizeYES
Jun 13, 2009, 02:26 PM
i have a friend that was a chubby one growing up, then lost all the weight, and THEN started working out. his body looks absolutely normal now, he hardly has an ounce of fat on his body... but then we saw pictures of him taken right when he lost all the weight and stabilized at about 170 pounds and 6'3". the pictures were taken before he started working out, and his entire body was thin as a twig when he had his shirt on. but in the pictures, he was swimming , and his fat was droopy, and there were layers upon layers of fat that stayed with him that you couldnt notice if he was just standing up... it was only the pictures of him sitting on the edge of the pool, that is when you saw these very loose fatty layers gathering up, his boobs drooping down enough to fit a decently sized B cup, and his arms carried no density at all... and it stayed that way for 2 years before he began hitting the gym. we thought it was funny because it looked as if the layers didnt exist when he stood up, they were so loosely joined with his body that it just looked odd. he could put clothespins on each corner of his body, stretch them out as far as he could, have a person hold each one, and then he could probably twist his entire body back and forth, and you probably wouldnt see any movement from his actual body... that fatty skin spread out and pinned down would act as a blanket held over him, completely removed from the rest of his body as he's moving around. hard to explain, but jesus, it was odd fat.

you can be skinny and still be considered "fat" or "obese." its more about what your body fat % is, and you can actually figure it out yourself... i've had it done in a health class a while back, it's really not that difficult.

and whats bad about being fat? well first of all, most fat people are embarrassed of it... they feel that people should "accept them for being fat," and get upset when attractive guys dont find them attractive, yet ive hardly ever seen a fat girl go for a fat guy unless they've been turned down a few times. that's not me trying to sound offensive... but how many times have you heard chubby girls say, "you know, i think society puts too much of an importance on weight" while they're trying desperately to hit on you if you're in shape or have a "good body"? and then call you an "asshole" if you politely tell them you're not interested, and then watch her go to the next "hot guy," and repeat the process... i mean really, everyone views people "in shape" as more attractive, and having fat just dims down attractiveness.

also, you can say the health problems... those can go on and on. but thats not the main issue on why they arent viewed as attractive hands-down. it isnt the "fatness" alone that makes fat people view others not liking them as "vain." well yea, its not that appealing to look at.

all your other senses are affected by an overweight person, not just sight... of course we naturally are going to feel more attracted to a certain, nicely curved body. but being chubby also increases the amount of water thats retained in your body. IF you're chubby and you do go swimming, your skin is going to act like a sponge and absorb more water than a skinnier person.

now think about that chubby person working up a sweat. nothing can be more attractive when you're with a healthy, attractive, thin female that works up a good sweat on a nicely tanned body. the touch, the look... it just can cause you to be more attracted to them. with the fat person, that sweat is going to exit out of your body, and all the bacteria and shit in those clogged pores is going to smell: because most of the heavy-set sweating isnt done when working out, and letting your body just get rid of the toxins... its done when they've got a tshirt on and walked around in a wal-mart or some other non-active exercise. and that sweat is just going to sit on the skin, and its going to make your skin look a little worse, breaking out, being overly oily, etc.

so its going to smell. being with a chubbier person in an intimate moment, and that skin probably isnt tanned because they dont like going outside, sweating, or doing any sort of activities... and their shaving isnt going to be a full-body one(maybe legs), so then you have body hair holding in that moisture as well, making more scents. so its going to smell worse, on top of a pale, dark body haired, bad-skinned oily body.

and really, much like girls like feeling a guy thats in shape, guys dont like to feel as if they're squeezing fat layers that are undefined to a certain area, that can shift to another area of the body if given pressure. like you THINK you're feeling their ass, and you squeeze it, and suddenly, that fat shifts in different directions... so you really dont know if the fat you squeezed was part of the lovehandles, or a piece of fat from the thigh that has begun acting like a vagabond, drifting towards the ass, and kept in place by a pair of overly tight jeans. that is also unattractive.

and its hard to find girls that dont exercise that have nice, smooth skin... and if theres so much of an oily buildup that you're going to have to put some rubbing alcohol on your hands to cut out the grease factor, thats usually a bad sign too.

well really, the things ive said are not every guy's grievance, but they are actual points. they arent meant to make people feel self-conscious or anything if you ARE fat, but cmon... a little exercise never hurt anyone. i just have a problem with the ones that expect to get a free pass, blaming it on other people for not finding them attractive. there are simple, easy measures to hygiene and activity that can help the whole "fat" thing be less of an issue. a little chubbiness is fine if you keep yourself up right

Leviathan
Jun 13, 2009, 03:15 PM
^TL; DR.

I feel sorry for fat people because sometimes it is not their fault at all. Some people have shitty metabolism. [Like me.]

Especially fat kids. It makes me so sad because they get ridiculed for it. They are just like everyone else. Hell, even in middle school one of the coaches preferred fat kids over skinny and average kids because they always wanted to go the extra mile when the others didn't.

I feel fat, but I guess I'm not? My body ridiculous. >:|

Dark Phoenix5
Jun 13, 2009, 03:28 PM
I'm a big boy, but in no way am I fat. I work out, run, and swim and don't get ripped with muscles, it's not about letting yourself go, it's about your body and how it works with your routine.

then whats ur definition of big???

furrypaws
Jun 13, 2009, 03:30 PM
Because there are numerous health conditions and risks that stem from obesity, some of which fatal, many of which permanant.

Beyond that, not much.

Volcompat321
Jun 13, 2009, 05:45 PM
then whats ur definition of big???

Big is built big. Body structure. Someone that's not underweight, or fat. I can take a picture of myself if you need an example...

Nitro Vordex
Jun 13, 2009, 06:56 PM
A large frame or broad(not the female way) is what you might be looking for.

Rasputin
Jun 13, 2009, 07:43 PM
Big is built big. Body structure. Someone that's not underweight, or fat. I can take a picture of myself if you need an example...

No, please, don't. Think of the children!

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 13, 2009, 07:50 PM
I used to be rather fat when I was in middle school, but Tae Kwon Do and self-consciousness about my appearance changed that. Now I'm 5'8" and 160 lbs, and I have visible abs. But yeah, about fat people, there's really not much that I can say that hasn't already been said. I mean, sometimes people may have a little something, in which case it's not bad, but then there are people who need two or more chairs to sit down on and I just can't help but think that in order to get that fat, you have to want it to get there.

BlaizeYES
Jun 13, 2009, 11:47 PM
^TL; DR.

>:|

i'm not too "hip" on internet lingo, so i had to research what "TL DR" meant. and it really hurt my feelings.

please go back and read my post, it'd really mean alot to me :)

SabZero
Jun 14, 2009, 03:42 AM
It's not bad per se. The number you need to watch is your blood pressure, not the weight. Although there is definately a limit, but it's different for different people.

When you start not being able to walk a distance, then it's time to think about your health.

DreXxiN
Jun 14, 2009, 04:18 AM
Very very rarely (<5%) Is it anything's fault besides the self awareness or bad physical hygiene of said person. It's not nice to make fun of them since some might control it, but not to be offensive, if any of you here are, then maybe you should take it into consideration to do some excercise or change your diet..

..Excercise does a lot more for your health than that flab on your body..
Admitedly I Have decent metabolism, But when I feel my body becoming out of shape or having any "flab", I work the hell out of it until I'm satisfied. Not only does it make me feel better about myself to look good and be in shape, It makes my heart, my muscles, and even my mind healthier, gets me to sleep earlier and longer, and keeps up my self-esteem.

(Again not to FLAME, but a lot of the reasons you "nerds" that have "Insomnia" can't sleep is because outside of work or school, you just sit all day and don't get rid of excess energy..

Please, for the love of God, try working out before you self-diagnose yourself with Insomnia, because I realise how rediculously late I can stay up without doing so whatsoever..)

Alnet
Jun 14, 2009, 04:29 AM
I always thought the reason being fat was considered bad was the same pretense that led people to believe they were cursed - it was something you did wrong, and now the universe was punishing you for it. In this case, the more you eat, the more it shows on you physically, and so the world around you can see that you're a glutton and have a lack of self-control.

It was mentioned that in the past, people being fat was a sign of stature because you could afford to be fat in a time when life was generally much harder, and food wasn't as easy to come by (no genetic modification, no mass-production, low-yield farming, et. al). Compare that to today's world, when you can just walk into any corner store and pick up a bag of chips for $1.25 and not even think twice. Of course people are going to think you're eating more than your fair share, if you're so much heavier than they are with so much food around. Whether or not that's actually true depends on the individual in question, obviously, but I've always felt that this was what society generally believed.

DreXxiN
Jun 14, 2009, 04:59 AM
I always thought the reason being fat was considered bad was the same pretense that led people to believe they were cursed - it was something you did wrong, and now the universe was punishing you for it. In this case, the more you eat, the more it shows on you physically, and so the world around you can see that you're a glutton and have a lack of self-control.

It was mentioned that in the past, people being fat was a sign of stature because you could afford to be fat in a time when life was generally much harder, and food wasn't as easy to come by (no genetic modification, no mass-production, low-yield farming, et. al). Compare that to today's world, when you can just walk into any corner store and pick up a bag of chips for $1.25 and not even think twice. Of course people are going to think you're eating more than your fair share, if you're so much heavier than they are with so much food around. Whether or not that's actually true depends on the individual in question, obviously, but I've always felt that this was what society generally believed.

Well stated, I agree with just about everything you listed.

Outrider
Jun 15, 2009, 11:47 AM
Very very rarely (<5%) Is it anything's fault besides the self awareness or bad physical hygiene of said person.

Please, for the love of God, try working out before you self-diagnose yourself with Insomnia, because I realise how rediculously late I can stay up without doing so whatsoever..)

Just to play devil's advocate - isn't their self-diagnosis kind of the same thing as you supplying us with statistics that (as far as we know) simply came from your head?

Zorafim
Jun 15, 2009, 03:16 PM
I didn't really read the thread, so I'm just going to point a few things out.

First of all, it isn't attractive. For some people, this isn't really a big deal. But I at least would think that a large stomach and double chin looks worse than a bald head or unkempt body hair.

Second of all, health issues. The simple act of having fat means that your body is creating more blood paths. This means that there is more blood to be pumped through the body, so the heart has to work that much harder. If the person is overweight because of lack of exercise, then the heart may not be strong enough to preform at a desired level. If the extra fat is caused by bad diet, then the blood may be more difficult to pump due to being thicker due to high sodium levels, or because of clogged arteries due to high cholesterol levels. And god forbid the person neither diets nor exercises. These things add up to higher amounts of stress for the heart, meaning it has a higher chance of giving out. And considering heart attacks are one of the more major killers in America, I think this is something to watch out for.

Third of all, fat isn't much more than extra body weight. This means you're exerting more energy to move, and it's less likely for you to get out of the way. This really isn't much of an issue for most people, but those with a more athletic state of mind would think about this more often.
I like my flying kicks...

Basically, it's due to aesthetics and health, since being fit doesn't really mean much in today's society. While a few extra pounds will hardly kill you, it will make it that much harder to stay alive in old age. And today's fashion demands tone muscle, which is difficult to show off when there are extra layers of fat in the way.

Forgive me if I seem rude or insensitive to the issue, but since battling weight is hardly an issue for me, it's hard to know how people feel about being overweight. I would hardly think less of a person for being fat, but I would definitely think more of that person for trying to eat healthy and get in shape, even if it means the fat stays.

DreXxiN
Jun 16, 2009, 02:32 AM
Just to play devil's advocate - isn't their self-diagnosis kind of the same thing as you supplying us with statistics that (as far as we know) simply came from your head?

Comparing a self-diagnosis of a dangerous disorder to a guestimation that I basically heard from my sisters (who are both in the medical field, I might add) among others is JUST A LITTLE incredibly different in severity, is it not?

Most people who are fat make excuses like they actually work really hard, when they really hardly try and blame it on health issues or genes. Fact. Know WAYYYY too many guilty of it as well.

Outrider
Jun 16, 2009, 10:45 AM
Comparing a self-diagnosis of a dangerous disorder to a guestimation that I basically heard from my sisters (who are both in the medical field, I might add) among others is JUST A LITTLE incredibly different in severity, is it not?

Most people who are fat make excuses like they actually work really hard, when they really hardly try and blame it on health issues or genes. Fact. Know WAYYYY too many guilty of it as well.

I dunno - they're both suggesting something is the truth based off of unconfirmed sources.

And saying "most people who are fat make excuses" isn't a fact, it's an opinion. Especially if it's based off of anecdotal evidence such as you knowing people who are guilty of it.

Volcompat321
Jun 16, 2009, 10:53 AM
Maybe DreX knows most of the fatties in the world?

Anduril
Jun 16, 2009, 11:10 AM
I"ve been fat since I was about 6 or 7 when I started eating excess amounts of food to overcome the stress of the problems my parents were having, and I, unfortunately, have the apple shaped body type where all the excess weight collects around the torso area. Because of this my internal organs have actually been under more pressure than they need be, and because I actually want to be able to keep up with any kids that I may have, and to live a decently long life I took it upon my self to actually start losing weight just by eating in reasonable portions, cutting out all processed sugar, and jogging 2-3 hours a week. I'm pleased to say that I've actually lost 23 pounds in 5 weeks (although I'm still about 40 pounds overweight) and feel full of energy, and as a plus I actually need to use a belt to keep my pants up. I'm trying to lose body fat so that I can be healthy, and I mean actual healthy, not the "healthy" that the media tries to portray. I frankly believe that the biggest problem with being fat is when it gets in the way of your health.

Kylie
Jun 16, 2009, 01:08 PM
If it's because of a medical condition, that's understandable; but if it's because of an addiction to food/an unhealthy lifestyle, that's, well, unhealthy. Likewise, if someone lacks the self-control to lay off the food and get in shape, that's unattractive to me. But if you're comfortable with being overweight, by all means; just don't expect a date with yours truly or many others.

SabZero
Jun 16, 2009, 01:21 PM
If it's because of a medical condition, that's understandable; but if it's because of an addiction to food/an unhealthy lifestyle, that's, well, unhealthy. Likewise, if someone lacks the self-control to lay off the food and get in shape, that's unattractive to me. But if you're comfortable with being overweight, by all means; just don't expect a date with yours truly or many others.

People don't get obese because they simply *like* food. There's deeper issues. Also saying, that it's as easy as just not eating food x, well, it's not. :etongue: It's not about selfcontrol at all, it's about lifestyle change. Try to radically change yours and see if it's easy to keep up.

Your taste in other peoples' bodyshape aside, why not keep that out of this discussion. :-?

Kylie
Jun 16, 2009, 01:43 PM
I said an addiction to food but also an unhealthy lifestyle as the cause, and I never said anything about liking food. Bottom line is it's unhealthy to be out of shape. Just like it's unhealthy to do a lot of things, and I find it ludicrous to say it has nothing to do with self-control. :lol: Whether or not stress or any other issue contributes to the problem, obese people still have a choice at the very beginning to rely on food for comfort, and they still have a choice every time they overeat. As for me, I have overcome several things, so thank you. Also, my personal preference is relevant. Though I worded it sloppily, my point was that several people (including me but not exclusive to me) don't find obesity attractive. It sucks that image and attractiveness are important, but that's the reality. It makes perfect sense to include that on a list of why it's bad to be fat. It's something that would bother me if I was in the same position.

BlaizeYES
Jun 16, 2009, 05:21 PM
i love eating, but im not fat... i cant get fat, no matter if i was to work at it. smoking helps to make sure of that. actually, lately ive hardly been eating everything in sight like usual, but thats because of circumstance. with me, its my metabolism... and the more i fuel it, the more energized ill get, and it all stems from me having the energy of a 5 year old. i cant watch a rocky movie and NOT want to work out afterwards, i cant hear a song i love and NOT have this urge to suddenly clench my fists and act it out, i cant go to a sporting event and NOT use my charisma to get other people fired up until people just get caught in an ape frenzy, i cant watch the movie "elf" and NOT scream "FEENY" every time i see bob newhart on the screen(even though bob newhart doesnt play george feeny on "boy meets world, it started with someone saying "is that mr feeny?"). thats just because i'll always have too much energy to waste, and i dont think thats going to change anytime soon, especially since i'm already pretty active as it is. working out is the same... the more active you are, the more energy you get, and then the more you just want to waste that energy being more active. it will just keep escalating... well, it does for me, anyway. its just about routine. as soon as you get your footing and just work yourself until you literally cant lift a muscle(i dont mean when people get "tired" from work because they do the same mundane shit and get bored)... i mean challenging yourself, and pushing yourself farther. it gets addicting. and laziness is ALSO addictive. ive lost my train of thought. i need food?

GOODBYE

Volcompat321
Jun 16, 2009, 08:32 PM
"Smoking, not only does it help you get and stay skinny, but it also kills you and those around you! Two for the price of life."

DreXxiN
Jun 16, 2009, 08:41 PM
I dunno - they're both suggesting something is the truth based off of unconfirmed sources.

And saying "most people who are fat make excuses" isn't a fact, it's an opinion. Especially if it's based off of anecdotal evidence such as you knowing people who are guilty of it.

Not to be harmful, but this is leading me to beleive you are one of those people who make excuses for body shape, or at least know those guilty of it.

Seriously, look at how many Obese people there are in America. We are extremely lazy here. Are you trying to tell me that more than 10% of those people are actually suffering from a health condition rather than actually GIVING A DAMN and trying to work themselves off? I've seen these excuses so many times, and that's usually what they are, excuses. Is it just some extraordinarily STRANGE coincidence that there's significantly less obese people to fit people ratios in other nations that are as well off as us that excercise regularly, do more, drive less, and bike more?

No, it's not coincidence. You are what you eat, and 90% of the time a result of what you've done to yourself. It sickens me how many people blame medical disorders because they can't take responsibility over themselves, but hardly try. If you're unsatisfied with how you look in terms of weight, don't sit there and "whine about your weight problem and how life is bad and unlucky for you". Even if you are under a health condition, Working out and eating on a diet will help a lot. Trust me, my mother was extraordinarily obese, and I got her to work out a lot, go to a gym, and give her some helpful advice, and she is MUCH better off now. Lot's of my friends were depressed because they had "nothing they could do about their looks!" So I said, "You know what? Let's start working out together. Regularly, and push ourselves to a goal."

Just so happens that most of my friends are in shape, who haven't been until we all started together. Trust me, I stay in shape because I WORK FOR IT. If I sat in front of my TV all day eating chips, or in front of a computer eating food with preservatives and turned out fat, I sure as fuck wouldn't blame it on a disorder. It's the result of my own actions.

"BUT I DONT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY FOR A DIET HURRRR"
http://tinyurl.com/mrb275

TLDR version: If you think you can't control it, you probably can, and aren't working for it. Stop making excuses. A True friend will help by offering to work out with you and giving you honesty even if it's blunt, not lie for pity and say it's not your fault. Now excuse me, I'm going to go jog for awhile.

Also Anduril: Good for you, man. Keep it up, it feels good on multiple levels, doesn't it? Congratulations, you definitely know you are the master of your own fate.

Genjitsu
Jun 16, 2009, 09:30 PM
Why is being fat bad? Let's see here..

The most important reason is that it's unhealthy. Fat people can have many different medical problems, early death being one of them.

If being unhealthy wasn't bad enough, you will also be unattractive. There are a few guys out there who will claim to be "chubby chasers" but for the majority of them, it's a lie. Give them a million dollars and they will instantly stop being chubby chasers and go after a thin, healthy woman instead. The main reason you see guys have sex with a fatty, it's because they are poor and can't afford any better. For the fat women out there, they will have to work hard and earn their own money because it's difficult to find a rich guy dumb enough to support them.

The last reason I can think of is the bad image you project of yourself. By being fat, you are pretty much telling everyone "I am a lazy bastard who doesn't even care about my own health." Of course everyone is free to make their own decisions, even if that means giving up and letting yourself go. But being fat really says a lot about you as a person. It shows that you lack intelligence, determination, desire for happiness, and consideration for others.

thunder-ray
Jun 16, 2009, 09:58 PM
Not to be harmful, but this is leading me to beleive you are one of those people who make excuses for body shape, or at least know those guilty of it.

Seriously, look at how many Obese people there are in America. We are extremely lazy here. Are you trying to tell me that more than 10% of those people are actually suffering from a health condition rather than actually GIVING A DAMN and trying to work themselves off? I've seen these excuses so many times, and that's usually what they are, excuses. Is it just some extraordinarily STRANGE coincidence that there's significantly less obese people to fit people ratios in other nations that are as well off as us that excercise regularly, do more, drive less, and bike more?

No, it's not coincidence. You are what you eat, and 90% of the time a result of what you've done to yourself. It sickens me how many people blame medical disorders because they can't take responsibility over themselves, but hardly try. If you're unsatisfied with how you look in terms of weight, don't sit there and "whine about your weight problem and how life is bad and unlucky for you". Even if you are under a health condition, Working out and eating on a diet will help a lot. Trust me, my mother was extraordinarily obese, and I got her to work out a lot, go to a gym, and give her some helpful advice, and she is MUCH better off now. Lot's of my friends were depressed because they had "nothing they could do about their looks!" So I said, "You know what? Let's start working out together. Regularly, and push ourselves to a goal."

Just so happens that most of my friends are in shape, who haven't been until we all started together. Trust me, I stay in shape because I WORK FOR IT. If I sat in front of my TV all day eating chips, or in front of a computer eating food with preservatives and turned out fat, I sure as fuck wouldn't blame it on a disorder. It's the result of my own actions.

"BUT I DONT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY FOR A DIET HURRRR"
http://tinyurl.com/mrb275

TLDR version: If you think you can't control it, you probably can, and aren't working for it. Stop making excuses. A True friend will help by offering to work out with you and giving you honesty even if it's blunt, not lie for pity and say it's not your fault. Now excuse me, I'm going to go jog for awhile.

Also Anduril: Good for you, man. Keep it up, it feels good on multiple levels, doesn't it? Congratulations, you definitely know you are the master of your own fate.I secound this.

Vanzazikon
Jun 17, 2009, 12:12 AM

The most important reason is that it's unhealthy. Fat people can have many different medical problems, early death being one of them.

If being unhealthy wasn't bad enough, you will also be unattractive. There are a few guys out there who will claim to be "chubby chasers" but for the majority of them, it's a lie. Give them a million dollars and they will instantly stop being chubby chasers and go after a thin, healthy woman instead. The main reason you see guys have sex with a fatty, it's because they are poor and can't afford any better. For the fat women out there, they will have to work hard and earn their own money because it's difficult to find a rich guy dumb enough to support them.

The last reason I can think of is the bad image you project of yourself. By being fat, you are pretty much telling everyone "I am a lazy bastard who doesn't even care about my own health." Of course everyone is free to make their own decisions, even if that means giving up and letting yourself go. But being fat really says a lot about you as a person. It shows that you lack intelligence, determination, desire for happiness, and consideration for others.lolwut

This post looks oddly familiar.

MetaZedlen
Jun 17, 2009, 12:14 AM

The last reason I can think of is the bad image you project of yourself. By being fat, you are pretty much telling everyone "I am a lazy bastard who doesn't even care about my own health." Of course everyone is free to make their own decisions, even if that means giving up and letting yourself go. But being fat really says a lot about you as a person. It shows that you lack intelligence, determination, desire for happiness, and consideration for others.

Vanz my friend, is this who we may think it is?

Volcompat321
Jun 17, 2009, 12:59 AM

I'm asking this as an honest question-Are you retarded?
(remember, I'm being serious)

bay sick
Jun 17, 2009, 01:15 AM

i agree with the first part..
now about the other two.. you must be a idiot.
:-?

Zarode
Jun 17, 2009, 01:23 AM
Every fat/big person is not to be blamed, sometimes there are extenuating circumstances where the person cant help it.

No, I pretty much don't exercise at all and eat whatever I want. And I'm incredibly lazy.

I got nobody to blame but myself.

bay sick
Jun 17, 2009, 01:26 AM
No, I pretty much don't exercise at all and eat whatever I want. And I'm incredibly lazy.

I got nobody to blame but myself.

at least you take responsibility for it.

but its true some people cant help it because of their metabolism.

SabZero
Jun 17, 2009, 04:39 AM
Yeh, you youngins that say you can eat whatever you want, get back to me when you're in your thirties ;)

Anyway, there's a genetic disposition towards moving more or not. I personally hate exercise (whether it's socialiozation or genetic, I don't know), but I do it anyway. Although only enough to keep my blood pressure normal.

Maybe to understand, pick an activity that doesn't attract you at all, and then do it regularly every day. Lets see if you don't come up with excuses to not do it. ;)

Rust
Jun 17, 2009, 08:47 AM

ROFL

Great job, Inazuma.

BlaizeYES
Jun 17, 2009, 09:54 PM
lol well really, i think people can stop criticizing genjitsu on his post. i think he sort of explained it wrong... but he's got the right idea. we can stop trying to act progressive and defending all the chubby ones, and start thinking realistically.

most people are more superficial than they try to make themselves out to be. even fat people are superficial. actually, i'd say fat people are more superficial and selective than the "sluts" out there. just like they say fat people are much more selective with food than skinny people, i think the same can be said about fat people's choice in mates. i think attractive people have always been exposed to more of a selection of the opposite sex, and actually HAD those mates from the large selection pool... so then they can see who they genuinely have fun with, who they like. sort of like freshman year of high school when a girl you wouldnt even know would have a crush on you, even the ugly ones you say a combined 10 words to, just because of where she's set her bar. with fat women, i think that they set their expectations too high and hope to get the "hottest guy," instead of going with another chubby. and it's always in the back of their mind, "getting the really hot, dreamy guy" that they will never be able to get. so then you'll see guys that girls all view as attractive going out with the fat girl because he has low self-confidence, and the fat girl will make sure to bring it up in their circle of girl friends who she's dating.

and i'd hope a woman would have more incentive to work hard in her life than just for the purpose of who she will be able to marry. but just like you enjoy having a clean car, or a clean apartment or house, you should still want to make it look as attractive and appealing as possible to your potential mates. i mean really, chubby people can say, "well this is who i am, and if people dont like that then SO WHAT"... while they're wearing some faded torn up tshirt with a generic design on it, unkempt beard with pieces of cheetohs tangled within the stringy hairs around the chin, and a body order that can be picked up a week into the future. all other animals take measures to make themselves look like the most desireable mate, and as long as we're having sex(a normal animal behavior). that same thing is going to be programmed right into our brains to say "no fats." thats just how it is

but really, there has to be a line drawn somewhere when trying to be sensitive about a fat person's plight. its just how we were built

BlaizeYES
Jun 17, 2009, 09:55 PM
lol well really, i think people can stop criticizing genjitsu on his post. i think he sort of explained it wrong... but he's got the right idea. we can stop trying to act progressive and defending all the chubby ones, and start thinking realistically.

most people are more superficial than they try to make themselves out to be. even fat people are superficial. actually, i'd say fat people are more superficial and selective than the "sluts" out there. just like they say fat people are much more selective with food than skinny people, i think the same can be said about fat people's choice in mates. i think attractive people have always been exposed to more of a selection of the opposite sex, and actually HAD those mates from the large selection pool... so then they can see who they genuinely have fun with, who they like. sort of like freshman year of high school when a girl you wouldnt even know would have a crush on you, even the ugly ones you say a combined 10 words to, just because of where she's set her bar. with fat women, i think that they set their expectations too high and hope to get the "hottest guy," instead of going with another chubby. and it's always in the back of their mind, "getting the really hot, dreamy guy" that they will never be able to get. so then you'll see guys that girls all view as attractive going out with the fat girl because he has low self-confidence, and the fat girl will make sure to bring it up in their circle of girl friends who she's dating.

and i'd hope a woman would have more incentive to work hard in her life than just for the purpose of who she will be able to marry. but just like you enjoy having a clean car, or a clean apartment or house, you should still want to make it look as attractive and appealing as possible to your potential mates. i mean really, chubby people can say, "well this is who i am, and if people dont like that then SO WHAT"... while they're wearing some faded torn up tshirt with a generic design on it, unkempt beard with pieces of cheetohs tangled within the stringy hairs around the chin, and a body order that can be picked up a week into the future. all other animals take measures to make themselves look like the most desireable mate, and as long as we're having sex(a normal animal behavior). that same thing is going to be programmed right into our brains to say "no fats." thats just how it is

but really, there has to be a line drawn somewhere when trying to be sensitive about a fat person's plight. its just how we were built

Volcompat321
Jun 17, 2009, 11:07 PM
Two "chubby" or fat people never look good together. It's how the Earth works.
I'm a decent sized dood, and I am not shallow, but I wouldn't go out with a fat chick ever again. It's just unattractive since I'm a biggun too.
I have however been out, and dated a fat chick before, I really liked her too...Anyway...I set my standards high because I can. I don't think I'm good looking, but I get what I want for the most part. The whole "being fat is unattractive" thing is somewhat wrong. People will always date the fatties, it's just how the present themselves. Just like a pretty woman, or a handsome man. The way you present yourself, and you confidence will most likely land the girl or guy you want, as long as you don't make a fool of yourself, and do fat things (like an eating competition, that's so not hot).
Anyway, being fat only goes with unattractive if the person acts fat. ^
There will always be some chubby chasers, and some people that absolutely hate fat people. It's all a matter of opinion no matter what.

DreXxiN
Jun 18, 2009, 01:01 AM

Aside from the double post. Extremely well said.

Outrider
Jun 18, 2009, 09:42 AM
Etc.

Okay, first read this before you respond again (or y'know, in general - knowledge is power!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_advocate

I simply pointed out that A) there are two sides of the argument, and B) just because you say something is true and estimate a statistic doesn't mean it's true.

If you say that 90% of people do such and such, it may or may not turn out to be accurate, but unless you have scientific proof, you can't cite it as "fact." Just because everyone you know loves strawberries, doesn't mean that everyone in the world loves strawberries. This is anecdotal evidence. It's pretty much worthless.

For instance, if I say "Lots of people are obese", people understand this is my opinion and not a fact. But if I say, "Most people are obese; FACT" then I clearly don't understand what the word "fact" means.

Here, let me help you: If you wanted to say, "In 2006, a report showed that 34% of all US adults aged 20 or older are obese" and then linked to this article (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/07newsreleases/obesity.htm) then you would be referring to a fact.

DreXxiN
Jun 18, 2009, 08:14 PM
Okay, first read this before you respond again (or y'know, in general - knowledge is power!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_advocate

I simply pointed out that A) there are two sides of the argument, and B) just because you say something is true and estimate a statistic doesn't mean it's true.

If you say that 90% of people do such and such, it may or may not turn out to be accurate, but unless you have scientific proof, you can't cite it as "fact." Just because everyone you know loves strawberries, doesn't mean that everyone in the world loves strawberries. This is anecdotal evidence. It's pretty much worthless.

For instance, if I say "Lots of people are obese", people understand this is my opinion and not a fact. But if I say, "Most people are obese; FACT" then I clearly don't understand what the word "fact" means.

Here, let me help you: If you wanted to say, "In 2006, a report showed that 34% of all US adults aged 20 or older are obese" and then linked to this article (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/07newsreleases/obesity.htm) then you would be referring to a fact.

To be honest, I wasn't going to go citing links (Which I already had in case for whatever reason *google is beautiful*, we would just so happen to have this argument further drawn out, I would use.)to prove a point that I found painfully obvious. Think what you want, but if anyone seriously thinks they can't do anything about their weight, get medical help, or at least try.

But on any note, thanks for helping me prove my point. That's an OBSCENE amount of obese people.

Outrider
Jun 19, 2009, 10:04 AM
Think what you want, but if anyone seriously thinks they can't do anything about their weight, get medical help, or at least try.

But on any note, thanks for helping me prove my point. That's an OBSCENE amount of obese people.

Wow. I never said I disagreed with you. You- you can't actually read, can you?

Vanzazikon
Jun 19, 2009, 12:21 PM
We pretty much were warned before hand.

Everyone ignore the epic trolling post and get back to seriously discussing this. Stop giving the attention-whore what he/shit/it wants. If he wants to act like a big man, let him. But for god's sake, stop giving him reasons to keep posting.

Rust
Jun 19, 2009, 01:10 PM
Stop giving the attention-whore what he/shit/it wants.

:lol:

Volcompat321
Jun 19, 2009, 06:40 PM
I think this discussion has run it's course.
It can/should be closed now.
I don't think anyone really cares if being fat is bad.

DreXxiN
Jun 19, 2009, 06:46 PM
Wow. I never said I disagreed with you. You- you can't actually read, can you?

Before you go belittling, consider it a misunderstanding.

I actually can read, quite well, and I probably should have seperated my statement.

The "Think what you want" Was basically a general closing statement to the entire topic, and me saying I didn't wish to cite sources was about your inquiry regarding me "making up numbarz", and that I wouldn't bring up statistics or cite sources unless I really had to.

And yes Vanz, I'm definitely making trolling posts. You're so incredibly intelligent to notice when someone is trolling and when they aren't, it was a misunderstanding and sometimes I just so happen to not FOCUS INTENTIVELY at arguing over dieting via PSO-W. I do it as a multitasking thing, as I don't really feel the need to come out with the larger E-peen here. I just like stating my opinions. Now cut it with the insulting posts/headlines if you would, please?

My original post was mistaken because I didn't really understand the whole "Devil's Advocate" thing, and the second was just miscommunication. Now I'm going to get out of here before more ignorant nerdrage pwns my face (Can't wait till this is misinterpreted too. *facepalm*)

And @ Outrider: To finalize this, I didn't really mean to make it sound like we were disagreeing man, I was just stating that I figured my opinions were almost painfully, most obviously true, at least in the Americas that I didn't feel the need to post references, but I will from now on if it tickles your fancy. :P

I was never really here to pick a fight, laowlz.

Dhylec
Jun 19, 2009, 07:23 PM
OK, topic is being derailed & things are getting personal. Let's close this before it gets worse.