PDA

View Full Version : Guntechers: Cannons or RCSM combo?

unicorn
Jul 5, 2009, 05:02 PM
Being a CAST GT mainly (although I'm raising a Beast and possibly a Human one in the future) I am biased against the RCSM combo, but I would appreciate any enlightenment. Since my TP is too low for attack techs, and RCSMs use TP, I'm screwed on both ends. Sooo obviously I think Lasers are stronger. But would the RCSM/Wand combo work better for Humans and Newmans?

So basically, which does more damage as a Guntecher?

Magus_84
Jul 5, 2009, 05:44 PM
As a human male GT, I find the tech/RSCM combo to work sorta well, depending on what tech you use. Few observations I've had:

If you're using piercing Simple techs (Barta/Zonde/Megid), you're only going to have elemental advantage against half the elements. Additionally, Barta and Zonde are total weaksauce at GT's cap. I'd almost say to hell with them and just use Megid on everything. >_> You'll give up elemental advantage on non-Light, but you're already doing that to Ice, Dark and Lightning anyway by choosing to use Piercing Techs/RCSM. And Megid has a higher base Tech %.

Might as well use a higher base Tech % technique with a far better Status Effect. You'll mainly be using it on grunts, and anything that's medium-sized or smaller can be hit with Incapacitate. It may not work as well as it does on bots, but when you're flinging it at huge groups, you'll be surprised how often it works.

If you're using Dam- series techs (which I find work better) you get elemental advantage against 4/6 of the elements. They're clunky to use sometimes, and will drain PP astoundingly fast.

If I do the Wand/RCSM combo, I generally just use Dambarta/Megid on a Wand, and an appropriate-element piercing RCSM. Lock them down with Dambarta, then start chucking Megid. Between the moderate, non-missing tech damage; the moderate, generally-not-missing elementally-aligned RCSM damage and the random chance at a stray insta-kill here and there, you get a fairly respectable output.

I hit for something like 600 per RCSM shot and 500 (dark enemies)-700 (neutral or non-dark/light)-1000 (Light enemies) per Megid, with about 700-800 per tick Dambarta. Of course, it necessitates carrying four or five Wands and downing Charges every few rooms. If you decide to do this on Cast, I think the Dambarta/Megid combo may work better for you than trying to milk Barta/Zonde.

I mainly did it because my Lasers are on my GM, and I was curious to try out the combo. It worked better than I expected.

biggabertha
Jul 5, 2009, 06:29 PM
Poor GUntecher...

Laser Cannons deal a lot more damage than the Wand/RCSM combo in most situations. Bullet resistant enemies and less than three enemies will be the only times that the Wand/RCSM combo will win out in damage.

It's nice to use the combo though, I must admit. It's nice to get "free" damage periodically but I really dislike how slowly Wands cast after being used to using Laser Cannons.

It's not a terrible option but for Time Attack things, I wouldn't advise it. Fun though and I like the idea behind it.

that cast named kai
Jul 6, 2009, 11:35 AM
hmmmmmm........

not really sure which would work better, since i have more or less given up on offensive techs as a GT opting to play more like that of a "gun medic" than guntecher.

but a wand/r-mag could work out depending on the techs used (basic, ra, or dama, definitely with a quick or a smart unit linked to it), although if you want real control of the line piercing effect you might be better with a laser cannon. (although i gave up laser as well, along with shotguns as a GT)

either way work with either and see what works for you and go with it.