PDA

View Full Version : A question on anime...

Erkthemerc
Jul 7, 2009, 05:34 PM
Ok so my friend recently introduced me to the anime world and now i have a problem, i enjoy watching very much but I have no money to buy or rent the videos. What I want to know are there any good places on the internet what i can watch full episodes instantly (and for free)... oh i also dont want to get a virus on my laptop. I figured that the pso-world community could help me seeing as many of you guy seem to be big on anime. Any ideas???

Cherri420
Jul 7, 2009, 06:20 PM
I go to crunchyroll. com to watch anime or asain dramas, mostly the dramas :) Of course they don't hav all the anime that u might like to see so I would just google the anime till I found it. If u like to read then onemanga is the place to go for Mangas! Hope I helped ^^

Itachi1990
Jul 7, 2009, 06:22 PM
youtube has some so does hulu.

Omega_Weltall
Jul 7, 2009, 06:54 PM
NarutoWire.com has some good stuff too, all of Queens Blade and well... MOST of Hokuto No Ken.

Erkthemerc
Jul 7, 2009, 08:07 PM
Thank you all for these websites that i can watch anime at. I appreciate you guys tellin gme very much and after checking out the websites i have another question, do u guys have any good ones that i should watch?

Omega_Weltall
Jul 7, 2009, 08:18 PM
Detroit Metal City. only 13 or so episodes and only 15min long each but oh my GAWD you'll lol so hard

Rubius-sama
Jul 7, 2009, 08:41 PM
thepirateb.... nevermind. :wacko:

Dragwind
Jul 7, 2009, 08:44 PM
Check out Berserk or Ronin Warriors. Pretty much the only animes I ever thought were unique and good.

Erkthemerc
Jul 7, 2009, 10:58 PM
thanks for the suggestions i am going to have stuff to watch for a while... it should be fun.

Strife NightCry
Jul 8, 2009, 12:11 AM
http://watchfreeanime.net/ OR http://www.animefuel.com/

and so you know only down lode anime not lichened In the US if you what to down lode any

goldbrease
Jul 8, 2009, 02:10 AM
crunchy role ..... sure if you want to watch anime subbed by other groups who they don't credit for the work sure. atleast on youtube people don't remove the credits usually.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 8, 2009, 02:26 AM
atleast on youtube people don't remove the credits usually.
:lol:

Smidge204
Jul 8, 2009, 04:40 AM
How'd this topic get to page 2 without mention of Baka-Updates (http://www.baka-updates.com/releases.php) or BakaBT (http://www.bakabt.com/) (formerly BoxTorrents). There's also IRC and just about any torrent aggregation site (Tokyo Toshokan, BTJunkie, and yes even TPB is still around)

=Smidge=

goldbrease
Jul 8, 2009, 05:14 AM
well I thought it was against the forum rules.

Outrider
Jul 8, 2009, 09:36 AM
and so you know only down lode anime not lichened In the US if you what to down lode any

That's not true (nor is it legible), but sure, let's go with that.

Strife NightCry
Jul 8, 2009, 03:06 PM
That's not true (nor is it legible), but sure, let's go with that.

REALLY? Well if you live here YES it is true if not forget what i said.

Outrider
Jul 8, 2009, 03:15 PM
REALLY? Well if you live here YES it is true if not forget what i said.

No, as far as I know, it's not true that it's legal to distribute copyrighted material from another country for free simply because it has no US distributor.

It's nebulous at best, but still not outright legal.

Strife NightCry
Jul 8, 2009, 08:22 PM
No, as far as I know, it's not true that it's legal to distribute copyrighted material from another country for free simply because it has no US distributor.

It's nebulous at best, but still not outright legal.

....sigh that is why I said anything licensed, because if it has a license it has a distributor. If you don't believe me use the link i gave and try PLEASE try to watch an undubbed anime that was released in the U.S.A

Outrider
Jul 9, 2009, 11:10 AM
....sigh that is why I said anything licensed, because if it has a license it has a distributor. If you don't believe me use the link i gave and try PLEASE try to watch an undubbed anime that was released in the U.S.A

Right. As I said, just because it's unlicensed doesn't mean it's legal to freely distribute it on torrent sites and the like.

Just because your favorite fansub website claims they're within the bounds of the law doesn't mean they are. Here's an article that breaks it down for you:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2003-06-08/3

And a quote from the Berne Convention, an international copyright agreement:

"Translations, adaptations, arrangements of music and other alterations of a literary or artistic work shall be protected as original works without prejudice to the copyright in the original work."

That basically means that even if Naruto 2: Electric Boogaloo (or whatever) hasn't been licensed in the US, it's still copyrighted by it's original Japanese owners and any distribution of it without their consent is illegal.

I don't care if you watch fansubs or not, but you should at least know that you're spreading incorrect information.

Strife NightCry
Jul 9, 2009, 12:38 PM
wow your right.......well that is a new one. So how are ppl showing anime on the web still??? Because back in 2006 when i started my anime addiction the law was if it was not licensed it was fair game. Thanks for the up date Outrider.

Outrider
Jul 9, 2009, 01:33 PM
wow your right.......well that is a new one. So how are ppl showing anime on the web still??? Because back in 2006 when i started my anime addiction the law was if it was not licensed it was fair game. Thanks for the up date Outrider.

Nah, I'm fairly certain that even in 2006 it was the same case. The simple fact is that nobody has gone after those offending sites (or torrent users). After all, there's not much reason for a copyright holder to actively pursue fans spreading their work in a foreign country if they're not offering an alternative.

They could do something, but it probably wouldn't be worth it for them (especially not with individual users.) If anything, it gets brand awareness for their productions, which is never a bad thing. I'm sure there have been situations where an anime becomes popular due to fansubs and is localized as a result.

NGX
Jul 9, 2009, 09:28 PM
This site is great.
http://animetastic.net/

Nitro Vordex
Jul 9, 2009, 11:12 PM
Legality issues.
Doesn't seem like the mods care. Though I thought that watching for free and stuff would get you in trouble, but since a mod posted in this thread, I guess not.

Erkthemerc
Jul 10, 2009, 10:10 PM
Well i have been watching some shows for a few days and now I have to ask.
Why is it that watching anime that has been dubbed bad?
I dont get it... please enlighten me.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 10, 2009, 10:15 PM
Well i have been watching some shows for a few days and now I have to ask.
Why is it that watching anime that has been dubbed bad?
I dont get it... please enlighten me.
Here's the point.

[spoiler-box]
Here's you.[/spoiler-box]

The point is, it's being redistributed without written or some other kind of consent from the companies and producers, therefore illegal. Many many sites aren't sponsored by these companies, and are producing copyright infringement. However, it's not the kind of thing like they're saying they made it. Companies lose money when people watch anime for free, dubbed or not. That could be potential customers, however, and they could actually go out and buy them. Therefore, even though it's illegal, it's technically advertising and exposure, so it's kind of a double edged sword.

I have no idea where I went with that, but for all intents and purposes, watching for free on sites that host anime is illegal.

Inazuma
Jul 10, 2009, 10:50 PM
yeah i guess i know that it is illegal, but it costs so much to buy the shows that are several hundred episodes long and god forbid you be able to rent them some place...

Anyway that was not my question though, I asked why is watching anime that has been dubbed frowned upon by people who watch anime a lot? Not the legal side, just why is dubbed stuff bad?

Dubbed anime is simply not as good as watching it in Japanese. The main reason is that you lose a lot in the translation. It's just not as enjoyable to watch. Generally speaking, things are best in their original language. The people who like anime a lot understand this well and if they watch enough of it, they will end up learning Japanese.

Personally I absolutely despise dubs and flat out refuse to watch them. I will cover my ears and leave the room if needed.

I actually hate subtitles too. It's distracting. My advice to someone new to anime would be to start off with subtitles but make the switch to raw anime asap.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 11, 2009, 12:16 AM
I actually hate subtitles too. It's distracting. My advice to someone new to anime would be to start off with subtitles but make the switch to raw anime asap.
It's funny, I actually can't stand not watching ANYTHING without subtitles anymore. I don't know what it is, I just like reading something. Every time someone talks to me, I can actually envision the words they're saying being typed or put on paper, with correct spelling and everything. <_>

furrypaws
Jul 11, 2009, 12:20 AM
I liked Pretty Cure. It took a couple episodes to get rolling, but once it did, it was pretty enjoyable. It's an anime about two girls, but not like that. >_>

Also, for the most part,
Japanese subtitles>English dub, the reason being most times companies just get really awful VAs for who knows what reason, and a lot of the times, whole segments of the show just don't make it through because of localization and differences in what's "appropriate". The only thing off of the top of my head would be (you guessed it) Pretty Cure. In the Japanese version, Nagisa gets love letters from girls, which she doesn't want, as she's interested in boys. Honoka for some reason is friends with the more popular boys, but thinks nothing of it. This helps to fuel a sort of tension in the early episodes, but of course, they had to neutralize it in the English version. In the English version, Nagisa gets plain old fanmail (in pink letters with hearts on them, which is never explained), and for no apparent reason, gets frustrated at it. All hints at the love letters are brusquely avoided.

Shattered_weasel
Jul 11, 2009, 03:05 AM
Honestly dubs nowadays are usually (you do have your bad ones though) on par or better than the original. As long as I don't have to deal with the stupidity of fan subbers, I guess it is a better alternative.

goldbrease
Jul 11, 2009, 05:20 AM
theres also the part were the dubed version will have entire segments of episodes, or even entire episodes removed because they thinks it inappropriate or that it doesn't suit the us culture. In one piece, funimation removed an entire story ark, it wasn't anything special but it does cut out some back story and in a later episode it becomes confusing.
rahzphan is another good one, i haven't watches a subed version but there is a break in the story were you sudenly skip forward, the characters have flashbacks from the missing segment but i duno if the anime was made this way or if it was actually cut out.

this has also been done with manga. in the ahmygoddess manga, early us releases they switched commonly said things into very stupid US references. something along the lines of, you can use magic?! are you a witch like sabrina the teenage witch?!

Nitro Vordex
Jul 11, 2009, 01:09 PM
Americanization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americanization#Media) sucks, doesn't it?

Shattered_weasel
Jul 11, 2009, 01:37 PM
In one piece, funimation removed an entire story ark

I thought that was 4kids.

goldbrease
Jul 11, 2009, 03:16 PM
4kids is still around?! fudge.
I know they started dubing one piece but I remember that they lost the license and funimation took it over. I thoughts 4kids closed down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Piece
ok 4kids dubs it funimation airs it on tv.... yeah uncut sure....

from site:
Produced by Toei Animation, the One Piece anime series debuted in Japan on Fuji Television on October 20, 1999. Since then, the still ongoing series has aired more than four hundred episodes.

4Kids Entertainment licensed the series for an English language dubbed broadcast and release in North America. The 4Kids episodes aired in the United States on the Fox network as part of the Fox Box block, premiering on September 18, 2004. The first 143 episodes of the original were cut down to 104 in the dubbed version. The remaining content was subject to heavy editing. Sanji's cigarettes for example were turned into lollipops,[50] and "the skin of a black pirate was changed to a tan mulatto / white color."[51] In December 2006, 4Kids cancelled production of the dubbed version.[52]

On April 12, 2007, Funimation Entertainment announced it acquired the license for the series. After producing a new English voice dub, the company released its first unedited, bilingual DVD box set, containing 13 episodes, on May 27, 2008.[53] Similarly sized sets followed with two sets released as of September 16, 2008.[54] The Funimation English dubbed episodes premiered on the Cartoon Network on September 29, 2007 and aired until it was cancelled on March 29, 2008.[55] The remainder of Funimation's dubbed episodes continued being aired on Australia's Cartoon Network, and then shifted into reruns of the Funimation dub before being replaced by Dragon Ball Z. Funimation began streaming English dubbed episodes as well as subbed episodes on their website, onepieceofficial.com. New episodes were to be streamed an hour after their original airing in Japan, though this has been placed on hold until security issues can be resolved.[56]

In Singapore, the anime is licensed by Odex, who produced an English dub which lasted 104 episodes. It was produced in two 52-episode seasons, with some of the original actors leaving in between seasons.[citation needed]

In the July 2008 issue of Weekly Shōnen Jump, it was announced that the prototype one-shot that preceded One Piece, Romance Dawn, is being adapted into an anime OVA as part of the Jump Super Anime Tour.[23][57][58]

The North American anime distributor Funimation, the Japanese studio Toei Animation, the Japanese publisher Shueisha, and the Japanese broadcaster Fuji Television Network had announced that they would simulcast stream the One Piece pirate anime series within an hour of the weekly Japanese broadcast. The free, English-subtitled simulcast was set to start on Saturday, May 30 at 9:00 p.m. CDT with episode #403 on www.onepieceofficial.com, followed soon thereafter by Funimation's partner sites.[59] However a security breach resulted in a leak of episode #403 leading to FUNimation to terminate the offer for the foreseeable future.[60]

one of the very iritateing things they did with onepiece other then cutting episodes, was that during the final fight during the alabasta arc, luffy was fighting crocodile, a man who could turn into sand, however without any water crocodile could just morph into sand and be unharmed by any attack. during this fight in the original version luffy was covered in his own blood to counter this, in the us dub they changed it to sweat......

Shattered_weasel
Jul 11, 2009, 07:38 PM
4kids are the ones that did all of that. The sweat, the lollipop, Zolo. All of that was 4kids. When Funimation took it over they not only started where 4kids left off but also tried to keep it as uncut as possible while abiding by Cartoon Network standards i.e. the cig was not changed into a lollipop but instead was removed completely. On top of this they started to redub the horrid mistake that is the 4kids version and released un-cut episodes on DvD from the very beginning.

So support your Funimation releases and go buy the un-cut DvD's. Those are the ones done right.

furrypaws
Jul 11, 2009, 10:26 PM
Holy cow, how did I forget. Lucky Star. It's just plain out hilarious sometimes and makes all sorts of weird video game and other anime references. I don't think I've ever watched an anime that, despite being completely random, didn't feel that way at all if you know what I mean.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 11, 2009, 10:40 PM
Holy cow, how did I forget. Lucky Star. It's just plain out hilarious sometimes and makes all sorts of weird video game and other anime references. I don't think I've ever watched an anime that, despite being completely random, didn't feel that way at all if you know what I mean.
You might like Genshiken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genshiken) then.

goldbrease
Jul 11, 2009, 11:41 PM
haruhi is another good anime, the episodes are a bit mixed up but good.
there is another anime i watched were the entire series goes in reverse. i wish i remembered the name so you could avoid it.

also why would 4kids be at fault for the sweat instead of blood? 4kids dropped the license before the alabasta ark.
also the only thing scarier then what was done in the us release of one piece.... is the toys they released for it....

Tetsaru
Jul 12, 2009, 12:46 PM
To the OP, if you're just getting into anime, there are tons of good ones, but there are many different sub-genres of anime to be aware of as well. Here are some series I recommend that you watch:

Dragonball Z and related series (kinda hokey nowadays, but it provided a lot of modern anime themes that are present today. You can't call yourself an anime fan if you haven't watched at least SOME of this, lol.)
Sailor Moon series (like DBZ in terms of classics, but girlier.)
Tenchi Muyo and related series (classic "harem" anime, might also try Love Hina)
Cowboy Bebop (my personal all-time favorite)
Ghost in the Shell and related series
Excel Saga (for crazy humor)
Fooly Cooly (also for humor)
Trigun
Outlaw Star
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Akira
Ninja Scroll (1993 version)
most of the Gundam series (mecha anime)
Bleach
Naruto
Paranoia Agent (good for mystery/thriller)
Tenga Toppen Gurren Lagann
Death Note
Hellsing series (if you're into vampirey/dark stuff)

Hopefully you'll find something you like out of those I gave you. :3

As far as subs vs. dubs, I've always preferred Japanese voicing with English subs or just English dubbing. It really depends on the voice actors for the particular series. I've heard some English dubs that sounded better than the Japanese ones for some series, imo. Most anime otaku purists will tell you that having the original Japanese version of a series is the way to go, though.

If you're looking to find anime to watch for free... well, the Internet is a vast and resourceful place! Personally, I either torrent them or use eMule along with this site. (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl) I'm sure you can find some on Youtube and other similar sites as well, although there are some sites that devote specifically towards anime.

Finally, keep in mind that most anime series are derived from manga, so you might want to look into reading some of that too. I think there are websites that cater to that too, having online scans you can read.

Enjoy your anime! =D

Shattered_weasel
Jul 12, 2009, 12:56 PM
also why would 4kids be at fault for the sweat instead of blood? 4kids dropped the license before the alabasta ark.

We learned about the switching of the license before Alabasta but they had episodes all the way up to the "Rainbow Mist" filler, right before Skypeia. Funimation took over right after that. Making Skypeia their first arc.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 12, 2009, 01:05 PM
Funimation must have recycled the sound effects from DBZ into One Piece.

Seriously.

goldbrease
Jul 12, 2009, 03:31 PM
heres a few other good anime:
I MY ME Strawberry eggs, this is about a guy who wants to be a teacher, but the onlt school hiring is a school who only hired females, he needs to pay his rent so his landlady teaches him how to dress, look and act like a woman so he can get a job there and try turning there views around. if you didn't know he was actualy a man you would probably think he is a hot female lol.

tenchi GXP is a side story of the tenchi muyo series, about a boy on eath who joins the galaxy police, and he has such bad luck in everyhting.

Outrider
Jul 13, 2009, 09:40 AM
If you haven't watched Cowboy Bebop, you should. It's excellent, and not just in an "Oh, it's good for an anime" kind of way. It's genuinely good.

And this is one situation where the dub is for the most part better than the original Japanese, so I would go with that.

Sinue_v2
Jul 13, 2009, 12:57 PM
If you're not in a particular hurry, Netflix is cheap and most DVD burners come with ripping software. To be honest, I don't think there's really all that much Anime out there really worth the effort to download/burn - but if you're new to it, the back catalog might be a bit big - depending on taste.

I recommend Perfect Blue for a starter. It's a psycho-thriller about a pop-star turned actress who's skizm between her old pure image and the new roles she's been cast starting out (which includes a bit part rape scene on a CSI-like crime drama) cause rifts between fans and her own self-image. She eventually looses her sense of self, as reality and her script blend together in the tempest of enraged fans and an unstable stalker who would rather see her dead than "corrupted". Eventually, the two personalities split - and she is forced to fight for her life against her own fractured mind as the "pop idol" personality tries to kill her.

You might also want to check out Monster if you feel like something a bit longer. I haven't seen the entire series yet, only about 20 episodes so far, but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. It's like a more elaborate and animated version of "The Omen", wherein the "Monster" is the product of a doctor who gave up his career to do the right thing for a patient... except that the child he saves is (so far it seems) the Antichrist - or antichrist like figure.

Tetsaru
Jul 13, 2009, 01:05 PM
If you haven't watched Cowboy Bebop, you should. It's excellent, and not just in an "Oh, it's good for an anime" kind of way. It's genuinely good.

And this is one situation where the dub is for the most part better than the original Japanese, so I would go with that.

I agree 100%. If you don't enjoy watching Cowboy Bebop, well then, anime's probably not for you. ^^;

Outrider
Jul 13, 2009, 03:09 PM
I'll also recommend anything by Miyazaki. I get the feeling that most people on this forum are watching anime for the power fantasies and pantsu more than anything, but you're really missing out if you're skipping over Studio Ghibli's films (including the non-Miyazaki films) to instead watch the latest "WE ARE A BUNCH OF PLUCKY KIDS WHO SAY THINGS THAT SOUND DEEP BUT AREN'T REALLY BUT HEY LOOK AT THE BREASTS" anime.

Tetsaru
Jul 13, 2009, 03:14 PM
Miyazaki has some awesome things too (Spirited Away was really good). I like me some good anime bewbage, though. :3

amtalx
Jul 13, 2009, 05:53 PM
If you have a strong stomach for...questionable sexual themes. Elfen Lied is awesome. Lucy/Nyuu is still one of my favorite anime characters of all time.

I don't know if its been said, but Ghost in the Shell is also one of those "quitessentials of anime". Its difficult to digest at first because their is a huge lexicon created solely for the series and the author rarely makes any attempt to explain it. However, if you can get past it, it has a very compelling story.

EDIT: Elfen Lied also has a very pretty, but haunting title song.

Blood831
Jul 13, 2009, 06:23 PM
Watch Code Geass!!!! Just thought I'd throw that out there.. lol

Sinue_v2
Jul 13, 2009, 07:01 PM
Elfen Lied degenerated fairly quickly for me. It's your standard harem anime with a bucket of blood and psychosis splashed on. Lucy is a decent character, if rather shallow, but Nyu was just annoying as hell. Even more disturbing was the combination of naivete, fixation, and nudity - which basically turned her into what seems to be a mere rape fantasy.

Nana was more compelling, but only due to her spirit and endearing clumsiness - making her a perpetual avalanche of often comedic abuse, and a wonderful case example of shadenfreude upon inflection as the viewer delights in seeing the multitude of ways she is taken advantage of, hurts herself, or is hurt by others.

Bando was especially likable, despite being a horrible dick of a person. He's not especially well fleshed out in the anime, but in the manga (what little of it I saw) he became attached to Nana and Mayu. He's a kind of Tony Montoya character, a ruthless and psychotic mercenary - but guided by their own ardent morality and values which en-noble him at times. He provided a bit of depth that was lacking overall, and honestly seemed a bit out of place among the more 2D cardboard cutouts that composes his fellow cast.

Weeaboolits
Jul 14, 2009, 05:53 PM
Yes, Perfect Blue, it's good for ya.

Also, if they haven't already been said, Azumanga Daioh, Cromartie High School, Excel Saga, and Genshiken. Trigun is also good if you want something with a bit more action to it (this is the one that got me into reading manga).

Cowboy Bebop is just kind of a given, if you can't enjoy that one, you're most likely an old man who can't fathom that a cartoon could be anything other than Bugs Bunny or Micky Mouse.

As for dubs and subs, I prefer to watch it dubbed, assuming they didn't call in the custodial staff to do the acting, resulting in my clawing my ears out before changing language tracks. Some series have exceptional dubs, like Cowboy Bebop, for example. it's always nice to find one that you get annoyed when it defaults to subs. Cromartie's dub is rather good as well.

goldbrease
Jul 14, 2009, 11:31 PM
is you like the big boobs grenadier i believe its called is a good one, she reloads her gun by bouncing bullets out of her cleavage.
Seto no Hanayome is an awesome love comedy with a big of harem added in. i'm hoping for a sequal season and not just extra oavs
ah my goddess is a good series.
macross frontier is awesome however it doesn't fallow robotech, it fallows the macross do remember love movie's universe.
RD Sennou Chosashitsu is a deep anime, very good, the main female doesn't fallow the usual prety girl stuff, she seems more average realy. also the love interest that forms kinda seems ocward at first lol. once you watch the entire last episode you feel like i want a fallow up episode.
school rumble is a must watch.
slayers must watch.
ranma 1/2 is a must watch.
Toaru Majutsu no Index is awesome and i'm hoping for a second season.

Outrider
Jul 15, 2009, 04:29 PM
Azumanga Daioh

OH YES, GOD YES.

I can't stress enough how amazing Azumanga Daioh is.

Trigun

Yeah, Trigun's not bad either. It's one of those shows that starts out a little uneven but has a great final act.

Phaesphora
Jul 18, 2009, 06:22 PM
If you're stumped and looking for something with respectable production value and a more cerebral story, I'd recommend RD Sennō Chōsashitsu. I believe it completed airing in Japan a short time ago, was written by Shirow Masamune, and is fairly standard in length at 26 episodes.

{P.S. - Holon is adorable!}

goldbrease
Jul 19, 2009, 12:31 AM
If you're stumped and looking for something with respectable production value and a more cerebral story, I'd recommend RD Sennō Chōsashitsu. I believe it completed airing in Japan a short time ago, was written by Shirow Masamune, and is fairly standard in length at 26 episodes.

{P.S. - Holon is adorable!}

I recomended this one, lol. its kinda confusing and not straight forward at first but its good and the character development is great.

Phaesphora
Jul 19, 2009, 05:26 AM
Er, oops, missed that. Sorry!

Has anyone recommended Last Exile? It's old, but it's all-time top ten material as far as I'm concerned, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to track down a fansub.

goldbrease
Jul 19, 2009, 05:37 AM
last exile? its pretty good, althoe there are a few parts i didn't care for, it was pretty interesting. the ending i believe could have been done better as well but all in all it was good.

Outrider
Jul 19, 2009, 10:58 AM
last exile? its pretty good, althoe there are a few parts i didn't care for, it was pretty interesting. the ending i believe could have been done better as well but all in all it was good.

Wait a second - I saw the first episode of that the other day. I wasn't terribly impressed. I guess it gets better?

The "ship-to-ship" battle that happens in that episode is just silly - each ship opens up compartments and has guys shoot at each other for a set amount of time before using their cannons? What? And while I liked the guy who was so terrified that he's praying the entire time, trying to make it a dark and brooding scene is completely ruined by how ridiculous the entire premise is.

I am a sucker for settings in which airships are required, though, so it totally gets bonus points for that.