PDA

View Full Version : Should I look for a spread needle? (Questions...)

Malecite
Feb 20, 2003, 12:07 AM
Hello.

Recently ive heard alot of hype about the "spread needle" and its awesome power. Is it really that good? Im kinda wondering because the stats on the web site blow I mean wtf " 1- 110"? are you telling me that you can actually find a spread needle with an atp of 1? There must be something more to it than that, how many rounds does it fire? Or does it paralyze often. Just curious because I have a chance on it with redria FOnewm and my greenil RAcast. Which do you think I should use to find it? Greenil gets it off arlan and redria gets it off of a dark bringer. Oh and is the spread needle actually 9 stars? Does this mean its easy to find? I ask that last question because the luminous field is 9 stars on the site but in actuality its really 11 (I got one this morning).

Thanks guys!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Malecite on 2003-02-19 21:09 ]</font>

VulpesMundi
Feb 20, 2003, 01:24 AM
The base ATP is actually +110. It grinds to +40, from what I've seen, so it has a maximum ATP of +190. It has +40 ATA and a -30 EVP penalty. Required ATA is 135 (used to be 130) and I believe it can only be used by RAmars and RAmarls this time around. In this version it's 10-stars. It used to be 11-stars.

As for whether or not it's worth it... It's not as strong as it used to be, and its range has really been shortened to about half what it used to be, now roughly mechgun range. However, consider the fact that it is a unique rifle-class weapon. Now consider that it shoots five needles at the speed of a rifle. It may do only moderate damage, but that's a lot of hits in a short amount of time so the total damage adds up. Finally add that its paralysis special is one of the most effective in the game, even in Ultimate.

Do I believe it's worth it? Yeah, I believe it is. If you combine the Spread Needle with the 100% freeze effectiveness of the Frozen Shooter or Snow Queen and you've got the best ranger weapon combination in the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2003-02-19 22:33 ]</font>

TeamPhalanx
Feb 20, 2003, 08:08 AM
Actually, it's useable by all RAngers. I was quite surprised when I saw a RAcast use it myself.

It's special so-so and its range is horrible, but it's rate of fire is good.

It's not a bad idea to hunt for it, I mean, if you want it, go for it. It's just that while many think that it's an awesome weapon (I can understand why) I don't think it's actually worth spending a lot of time hunting for. Personally, when playing as a RAnger, I like to stay as far away from the enemies as possible; therefore, I prefer the FINAL IMPACT.

dj_dan
Feb 20, 2003, 12:35 PM
I'd say it's well worth it.
Like the previous posts said, the damage isn't all that great, but if you have Lv30 S/D and some J/Z on you'll still do great damage.
The special attack works very well, and doesn't miss too much.
As far as the range goes, you don't need to be across the room to play a ranger... really, all you need is to be behind the Hunters.

Celes152
Feb 20, 2003, 01:02 PM
Hunt for it with your Green. I got one my first Ruins run with my purple.

Vaelin
Feb 20, 2003, 01:14 PM
Definitely well worth it to look for it.

My greenill found hers after a few Ult Ruins runs beating on Merlan/Arlans. Ever since then, she's pretty much cruised around paralyzing everything. I especially like it when I have to deal with multiple Del Sabers.. weak-strong-special and they just sit there taking it.. a few combos and they're dead.

Spread Needle is good for anything except single and double targets. Those you should stick to a good high-damaging gun..

Malecite
Feb 20, 2003, 01:19 PM
Alright I will, thanks guys!

Ranger_Larry
Feb 20, 2003, 06:55 PM
The one thing that makes the spread needle awesome is this... It doesn't have great power, but unless you are in WAY OVER you head, it's sheer SPEED keeps the enemies off of you! It's awesome for the HS quest. It keeps a group of Tollows from being able to get a hit on you. As far as the Final Impact, I have tried that in HS but it's not very good. Despite the little extra power and range, the enemies still walk through it and clobber you. It shoots very slow and that is what lets them hit you. The needle doesn't stop them from getting close, but it does stop them from being able to take a swing at you!

I have tried pretty much all of the ranger guns now. The most usefull are: Frozen Shooter, (snow queen can pierce, but no combo!) spread needle, and Yasminkov 3000R. (the most powerful REPEATING gun in the game..not one of those lame single shot bazookas, and it is even more powerful than most of those!)

As a Greennill, do Forest of Sorrow quest, so you can run into a Hildeblue. (frozen shooter) (All of these are ULT. of difficulty) Next repeatedly do Mine runs, Gillchich drops Yasminkov 3000. Then do Ruins, Merlan drops your Spread Needle. Also do lots of ult temple (merlan, standstill sheild) Fake in Yellow (pal rappy, gaurd wave) Now you are SET! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Malecite
Feb 20, 2003, 11:52 PM
How hard is it to get a gaurd wave? I see its a 11 star item and I already have a luminous feild (with no dam slots!!) Maybe ill give it a try, as for those stupid gilchichs I cant kill them with my level 104 RaCast because the best weapon I have is a redscorpio and they just walk all over me. Sigh maybe Ill get SN with my Redria mage who is invincible from a Dark Bringer.

Elusive_Llama
Feb 21, 2003, 08:37 AM
Personally I like the Yasminkov 7000 over the Yasminkov 3000. Even though it doesn't have as much range, it looks cooler, sounds cooler, and has that nice auto target which practically guarantees that you will hit something if it's in range and you're looking at it.

CeasOne
Feb 21, 2003, 08:54 AM
On 2003-02-20 20:52, Malecite wrote:
How hard is it to get a gaurd wave? I see its a 11 star item and I already have a luminous feild (with no dam slots!!) Maybe ill give it a try, as for those stupid gilchichs I cant kill them with my level 104 RaCast because the best weapon I have is a redscorpio and they just walk all over me. Sigh maybe Ill get SN with my Redria mage who is invincible from a Dark Bringer.

Guard wave.... with greennill ID i pivk em up like crazy.. like ive found well over 5 already "pal drops em" and all i do is soul of blacksmith runs... only piped for my 1st one heh