PDA

View Full Version : 360 trouble, I'm in quite a conundrum...

Rei-San
Jul 17, 2009, 01:16 PM
I'm feeling a bit disoriented so forgive me if these questions don't sound too clear. :(

The Story:
Ok, first off, I bought a refurbished 360 elite on ebay a while ago for half the price ($259.99) and it came with a 3 month warranty . I was pretty happy of coarse, I had finally broke free from the last gen GC/PS2/XB1 and moved to current gen. However it had the E74 error twice now. The first time it did it, it happened 2 days after I got it but that was because I had put it in an enclosed space, my entertainment center (which is black, a color that absorbs heat. ^^; ) I looked on the internet to find out if I could fix it my self and I found out I couldn't do it without opening it up which would void my warranty. I found out that the problem was caused by overheating, I never knew this of coarse :/ . So I sent it back and got a replacement, (I think they replace it, not fix it.) So this time out of paranoia I tried to keep my 360 as cool as I could, I took it out of my entertainment center and put it on a table next to the TV, giving it plenty of room. I put it on is side horizontally and put small books an CD boxes so more air could circulate, I put a tiny desk fan up against the bottom part of the 360 (the end opposite of the Hard Drive) so more air could go in, and I tried to monitor the status of my 360 by touching right above where the fan was. It was a bit hot but I thought that was normal, as hot air goes through it. So after all of this my 360 E74s for the second time but this time it lasted over a week. Pretty good so far... :( So now I'm sending it back to get a third one.

My parents are insisting that I return the 360 and get my money back, Well I suppose I COULD get my money back, but then I would have to give every thing back. That would include my Hard Drive, which has all the stuff I downloaded, all the hard-ass achievements I got lucky with in Halo 3 (Didn't think the katana would be so hard to get...) and my Xbl gamer card with my xbl account and info in it. I could say I don't want to start over and I'm sure that I transfer over my GC. I'm trying to tell my parents that most 360 have these problems and buying a new 360 wont make much of a difference. I even got my friend paranoid about the RROD, but he had his for over a year and it's still playing fine, but he barely plays his. He plays like every few days while my playing time is more that 5 hours a day. Me playing it to much could be another problem.

Conclusion/Question
So just for the record, basically all 360 new or old are condemned to death, right? Me giving it back won't make a difference. I sorta knew what I was getting myself into, and thought that the RROD was just something to look out for like Windows BSOD. The problem is that I have to keep it from over heating, cause I play it alot. Like I said over 5 hours a day. I was going to buy an Intercooler TempSmart, the one that has it's own power source and cost twice as much as the normal, I've heard good things about this one. and I was going to try more cooling methods.

Another question is that I've heard of "permanent fixes" that involves going in and reapplying thermal glue to the graphics chip and replacing thermal tape with pennies. People say they got theirs fixed, but I feel a bit skeptical. Has anyone here confirmed this? If my warranty expires I'll try it out, especially when I have nothing to lose.

I guess what I'm saying is is there any thing I can do to help keep my 360 or if any of the above tips can help. I just want feedback on my situation. :-( So any help would be great. :jpsmile:

...And don't tell me that "the 360 suck, get a PS3". I find the 360 personally better in terms of hardware except for the way it's build. And even the PS3 has hardware failure like the 360. I don't want any console wars going on here, I just wanna know how I can keep my 360 as long as I can. I'll buy a Wii when I get more money.

Shattered_weasel
Jul 17, 2009, 03:23 PM
You can transfer Xbox live accounts from hard drive to hard drive. Just remember you E-mail and Password. It will save Achievments and the games that you have bought (you still have to download them again but it will be for free). The only thing it won't bring is saves. What you can do for that is buy a memory card and export them.

As for 360's and their problems. I have had mine since launch and the worst I got from it was the 1 red flashing light of death.

Rubius-sama
Jul 17, 2009, 05:16 PM
Newer 360s shouldn't have this problem as often as the older ones. If yours is refurbed, then it's likely an older model. Either way, suffocating your console by placing it in an enclosed cabinet is just asking for trouble.

I got a 360 at launch and then upgraded to an elite later. Never had any problems with mine, but that's because I do the x-clamp mod when I get the system, which keeps it safe for the remainder of its lifespan. I suggest having your console modded in a similar fashion once you get it back. The stock clamp just won't do. You might even want to consider getting the broken one x-clamp modded and not even have to send it in for repairs. I believe most ppl charge $25-$50. See Craigslist.

Also, add-on coolers for X360 are something you should avoid. They don't do anything other than interfere with the airflow and contribute to the build-up of more heat.

Weasel pretty much covered your hard drive problem.

McLaughlin
Jul 18, 2009, 03:38 AM
The add-on cooling systems will fry your power supply and are a fire hazard. You don't need one.

goldbrease
Jul 18, 2009, 06:14 AM
i'll lets you know something since i work in retail. you can't return and opened game console just like a game. game companies don't refund the stores on them.