PDA

View Full Version : A message to those leaving for college

Dek
Jul 18, 2009, 10:55 PM
Just this past Thursday, I went back to Northern Illinois to not only speak with an adviser to make sure my fall semester is set up, but to also hang out with some friends that live in the apartments. We all went to the local animal adoption center to volunteer our time to take care of the dogs and cats (mostly cats because we all love them :wacko: ). Now, for the record, this was the first time I have ever been to the place, so I did not expect the vast number of animals that were going to be there. Several rooms for cats, a whole area for dogs. So the question I asked myself was, "Why so many?" Turns out a simple flier answered my question...

It turns out that students who live in the apartment complexes near campus will go and adopt these pets and then find out then they cannot bring them back home with them when their lease for the apartment is up. As a result, the students give them up to the adoption center. Of course, this makes the purchase of the animal, as well as all supplies for said animal (food, dishes, toys, etc.) a complete waste of money. You know... money that could have been used for tuition, books, credit card bills, rent, or even food.

So, to those who are leaving for college for the first time (whether you're coming out of high school or transferring from your local community college), or returning to campus this coming Fall semester, think long and hard about getting a pet and whether or not it's a good idea for you to do so. Because, especially seeing it now, it's not fair to you, who purchased a pet and maintain it and then have to give it up a year later, and it's not fair to the pet as well, who has someone that loves them and then gives them away a year later.

Leviathan
Jul 18, 2009, 11:41 PM
I didn't know that happened around summer, but I hear that happens when it's Christmas time and people adopt puppies and such but get tired of them in mid-January and then my the time it's February the shelter is full of these little guys. :(

[spoiler-box]http://acaparas.stu.cofc.edu/medium_Husky_Puppies.2.jpg[/spoiler-box]

But why would they not allow them to take their pets back home with them?

SabZero
Jul 19, 2009, 03:30 AM
Well, of course some foresight is needed, because a pet is a longterm commitment. Not thinking beyond the first couple of months is inmature, quite honestly.

AC9breaker
Jul 19, 2009, 05:28 AM
They should do what the Chinese do, eat them. That way they'll always be with them.

SabZero
Jul 19, 2009, 05:40 AM
They should do what the Chinese do, eat them. That way they'll always be with them.

Oh god. The people who do that don't consider the animal a pet, nor do they treat it as such. Have you seen how some of the dogs are killed? They are strung up by the neck and then beaten like a pinata until it expires. All the while the dog doesn't understand and looks to its owners for help. How's that for cruelty? :(

Dek
Jul 19, 2009, 11:17 AM
I didn't know that happened around summer, but I hear that happens when it's Christmas time and people adopt puppies and such but get tired of them in mid-January and then my the time it's February the shelter is full of these little guys. :(
To be honest, I forgot about end of Fall semester. I would expect this from end of Spring semester mostly because that's when the leases for apartments may start to expire (June - July, to be more precise), and there is also a much longer gap of time between semesters (assuming you aren't taking summer school)

But why would they not allow them to take their pets back home with them?

Who knows? Parents may have said "no pets" and the student was a dumbass. Family member may have allergic reactions. That's just a couple I can think of for now.

Also, lets not get into the topic of physical abuse. I don't need to hear about how some animals are beaten...

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 19, 2009, 09:04 PM
Oh god. The people who do that don't consider the animal a pet, nor do they treat it as such. Have you seen how some of the dogs are killed? They are strung up by the neck and then beaten like a pinata until it expires. All the while the dog doesn't understand and looks to its owners for help. How's that for cruelty? :(

Yeah, that's really f***ed up. Many societies eat, or used to eat dog meat. It's a high-class meal in Korea, although now there's a controversy over that, and most young Koreans today would not eat it. I know for sure that Japanese are very much grossed out by the idea of eating it. But back to topic, that really sucks to see how your money would go to waste like that because of your school not allowing it. That pet has nowhere to go because you bought it from the adoption center, but then the school won't let you have it.

thunder-ray
Jul 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
They should do what the Chinese do, eat them. That way they'll always be with them.That sounds very disturbing.

Oh god. The people who do that don't consider the animal a pet, nor do they treat it as such. Have you seen how some of the dogs are killed? They are strung up by the neck and then beaten like a pinata until it expires. All the while the dog doesn't understand and looks to its owners for help. How's that for cruelty? :(When I hear or see those kinds of things it pisses me off completely :mad:

Dek
Jul 20, 2009, 06:40 PM
But back to topic, that really sucks to see how your money would go to waste like that because of your family not allowing it. That pet has nowhere to go because you bought it from the adoption center, but then the family and/or landlord won't let you have it.

Fixed that for you. The school themselves can't say anything about it to students who commute and live in the apartments. The only students they can only say "no pets" to are those living in the dorms. Only exceptions they will give is if the resident is really messed up mentally to the point where other types of therapy don't work. Then, and only then, will animals be allowed for certain residents as means of "animal therapy," as they would call it in the psychology department.

Solstis
Jul 20, 2009, 10:10 PM
Fixed that for you. The school themselves can't say anything about it to students who commute and live in the apartments. The only students they can only say "no pets" to are those living in the dorms. Only exceptions they will give is if the resident is really messed up mentally to the point where other types of therapy don't work. Then, and only then, will animals be allowed for certain residents as means of "animal therapy," as they would call it in the psychology department.

That and seeing-eye dogs.

Hm, yeah, it is really irresponsible to adopt a pet and not have a back-up plan for when you graduate/need to move out. Pets will get over being moved from apartment to apartment, but I'd imagine being dumped off back at the shelter might be a bit of a mental strain.

I'd suggest becoming a foster-home for pets, but not sure how that works out.

(That is probably not the right term, but general idea)