PDA

View Full Version : Best Hunter to be?

OriginalMalcolm
Feb 20, 2003, 10:19 AM
gettin game soon, wanna make a hunter deffo, can some1 sum up good/bad points of each one and help me choose....

Bloodberry
Feb 20, 2003, 10:28 AM
HUcaseal
-Good Power
-Good Defense
-Decent Accuracy
-Traps

-No spells
-Not the strongest of them all

I think that's about right.

rayner
Feb 20, 2003, 10:31 AM
My main character is a HUmar and I enjoy playing him. It also helps having a section id SKYLY as I love to use swords. I tried to play as an HUnewearl and it was an added bonus to use shifta but it doesn't compensate for her lower ATP. I really can't say much about the other 2 because I never tried them out yet.

Elusive_Llama
Feb 20, 2003, 11:22 AM
What level was your Hunny's shifta, Rubicon?

Thumbalina2k
Feb 20, 2003, 11:32 AM
i love my HUnewearl. She's great, she's awesome....she's sexy! HUnewearls in my opinion are better than the guys, cause they have special weps they can use, and armors, that the guys cant, but also again, it's the same way around too. There are weps that guys can use that girls cant too.

Azeraphel
Feb 20, 2003, 11:34 AM
If your focus is online play, it's hard to beat the HUcast. Your job as a HU is to do damage. HUcast does damage. Lots of damage. Drawbacks are obvious - no healing, no s/d/j/z. If you've got a FO partner, HUcast wins.

For offline, you're best off with a HUmar or a HUnewearl. Personally, I prefer the HUnewearl, as she's got techs to 20, and the full gamut of s/d/j/z. If needed, she can even pretend to be a FOrce, and do significant damage with techs. Good all-rounder.

rayner
Feb 20, 2003, 11:43 AM
I didn't get her to a high level she was Level 34 and I can't remember what level her Shifta was. She's probably does just as much damage at higer levels with shifta than a HUmar or possibly better.

Elusive_Llama
Feb 20, 2003, 11:52 AM
I asked because Shifta 20 seems to give me approx. 35% of my base ATP. Combine with Zalure 20, and she'll do some serious damage.

OriginalMalcolm
Feb 20, 2003, 11:52 AM
cheers peeps,
think im gonna go for HUmar but id really like shifta/deband so still not quite sure.
i was a HUmar on PSO2 on DC, got to lvl 158 was never bored once,

BUT THE THOUGHT OF LOSING SHIFTA AND DEBAND IS TOUGH 2 IMAGINE.

keep opinions coming plz...

MadCowChuck_
Feb 20, 2003, 11:54 AM
I think it's great to be a Hunewearl. Remember, only 3 non-forces can cast shifta/deband...Ranger non-androids and the HUnewearl. This makes her VERY self-sufficent as a hunter and has a variety of things to attack with. She has decent stats with a gun, she can wield most weapons efficently, and she can boost her ATP wildly with lvl 20 Shifta. Resta is also a prize for being a HUnewearl or HUmar.

When picking, keep in mind androids are non-self-sufficent offline. They work best online in parties. HUnewarls are great for those games when youre with 3 HUmars and need S/D (one of the reasons I love my RAmar!).

TeamPhalanx
Feb 20, 2003, 12:12 PM
I seem to recall posting in a similar topic, but, here I go again. I'll try to break it down into categories.

HUcast
online/multi: Best HUnter, since odds are you'll have a tech user on the team; you also get the most traps.

offline/solo: Mostly a struggle until you level up; even then you'll be one of the worst offline characters.

time investment: He starts off pretty good (good for c-mode) and gets better. Yes, he does hit a wall once you reach ultimate, but that's true for all androids. Thing is, he can overcome that wall in time. The more time you put into him, the more he'll shine.

HUcaseal
online/multi: Not too bad. Her high ATA really helps since she has access to guns sooner than most.

offline/solo: Welcome to sucksville. Arguably the worst solo character, HUcaseal doesn't have much going for her here. HUcast's ATP is so high he won't miss shifta that much, the same cannot be said for HUcaseal.

time investment: She is probably the best character at the start of the game (making her ideal for c-mode). However, this isn't a character I'd recommend if you're going to spend a lot of time on her. She hits the ceiling really fast in terms of stats. HUcast can overcome the wall of ultimate mode, HUcaseal cannot.

HUmar
online/multi: Second best ATP, only trailing the mighty HUcast. You have resta, so don't have to depend on others to heal. Techs aren't all that useful, other than to use certain weapons and to make sure you hit for exp.

offline/solo: No shifta, but don't forget the 2nd best ATP deal. Jellen is more important when it comes to defense than deband, so it's not much of a loss. You really won't have it easy, but you really won't have it hard.

time investment: I swear, coverboy is ST's favorite character. He has it easy from start to fin. You start off with good ATP, ATA, and HP, and you end up with good ATP, ATA, and HP. There really isn't a moment where he struggles, that is, unless you somehow forget that you can use Jellen/Zalure.

HUnewearl
online/multi: Having a FOrce on the team pretty much negates your tech abilities. Resta/Anti is nice, but you'll be doing the lowest damage amongst the HUnters.

offline/solo: Probably the best character at this. Offline is a joke for a high level HUnewearl (well, cept seabed, mainly because of Morfos).

time investment: She starts out really bad. We're talking low ATP, ATA, and HP. It's almost funny, because early on, she makes a better FOrce than a HUnter. Put a lot of time into her, and she does become good; however, like HUcaseal, she hits the ceiling rather fast. You'll eventually reach a point (around level 160) where leveing up doesn't make you all that better.

dropslash
Feb 20, 2003, 12:49 PM
HUcaseal. With her high ATA you can use Mechguns to a devistating effect, especially early. Traps are fantastic (as with the HUcast) and she can attack with twin and double saber weapons faster than the HUcast.

All this talk of shifta & deband, bah, go with an android. As for that HUcaseal "Ultimate wall", it's more like "Ultimate partition" that you can easily hop over if you know what you're doing.

OriginalMalcolm
Feb 20, 2003, 01:00 PM
just took that quiz thingy, it says i should be a RAmar http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

lol, think i try it again as im certain im gonna be a hunter

Stricker
Feb 20, 2003, 01:09 PM
I just don't like Humar because they are all the same. And the stats are all balanced. I like more of something in specific. If you want to do a lot of damage, try Hucast. If you like magic, try Hunewearl. If you like agility, use Hucaseal.

For me, I chose Hunewearl. Her techniques can reach lvl 20 so it's a great range and suport character. And they are cute http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

OriginalMalcolm
Feb 20, 2003, 01:18 PM
HUnewearl's are winning so far.....

does shifta make up for the lower atp??

GandorDurin
Feb 20, 2003, 01:39 PM
With S-Red Blades HUmar is great offline single player! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

OriginalMalcolm
Feb 20, 2003, 01:45 PM
hmmmmm page 2,
will repost my question http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

comparing HUmar to HUnewearl:
does shifta make up for the lower atp??
and deband for the lower hp??

OriginalMalcolm
Feb 20, 2003, 01:53 PM
"HUmar
Hunter / Human / Male
Excels in close-range combat. has the most balanced growth potential. Has some recovery and attack techniques."

what are attack techniques?

just curious lol

Atari
Feb 20, 2003, 02:01 PM
just ask your self:
do you want jack of all trades, if so HUmar
do you want lean mean fighting machine, if so HUcast
do you want robot with deadly percision, HUcaseal
do you want the force of hunters, HUnewearl

i myself prefer the HUmar cause he is may favourite hunter(cast to bulky in shoulders, others i dont like playing as girls) some people say everyone is a HUmar but i see just as many people as HUcaseal or a "Hunny"

Celes152
Feb 20, 2003, 02:04 PM
HUmar's "attack techs" will never be usful for him. HUnewearl's Defense is already better than HUmar, plus Deband. Her ATP will be above his with Shifta, and she can heal herself better. Also dodges more attacks with higher EVP..has a bigger selection of weapons and armor..

Phobos-X
Feb 20, 2003, 02:12 PM
im also stuck on deciding which HUnter i want to create (first) for PSO X. I currently have a lvl 30summin HUnewearl, it i love playin as her, however its boring plaing as a HUmar even WITH his higher ATP. But i do have a question, maybe you can help me out Phalanx. the base level ATP for the HUmar and HUnewearl are 1420 and 1308, respectively. My question is, with a level 20 shifta increase, how much higher is the HUnewearls ATP compared to the HUmar?

rayner
Feb 20, 2003, 02:20 PM
So what buttons do you customize for the HUnewearl? I'm playing on the Game Cube so I'm limited to 6 shortcuts. I was doing Resta / Normal Attack / Heavy Attack then Fluids / Shifta / Deband. Then she's not casting any ofense magic.

Is there any need to cast ofensive magic with the HUnewearl?

Atari
Feb 20, 2003, 02:26 PM
yea but if your gonna be playing online the shifta does not matter because if you have a a force in your group with a lvl 30 shifta then your lvl 20 shifta is useless, so you could have that humar, get that lvl 30 shifta on you and own the hunny

GandorDurin
Feb 20, 2003, 02:45 PM
The ideal setup for an offline HUnewearl would be (depending on if special attack is needed or not, of course): Resta/Weak Attack/Strong Attack then while holding R: Zalure/Jellen/Fluid.

For Shifta and Deband simply set it up so that they're set on the top of one of those shortcuts used by holding R and pushing Y and then X once or twice...

My HUmar doesn't even have a fluid set as a shortcut, it's just Resta/weak/strong and R Jellen/Special/Zalure.

Anyway HUnewearl stinks online if there's a Force character, and kind of annoying offline with the less HP, but after leveling a lot descent offline. Eh I just don't like 'em that much, though. Something about girls fighting...It's kind of wishful thinking that that many women would be interested in fighting monsters for a living. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Celes152
Feb 20, 2003, 02:55 PM
You can easily use fluids from the menu, no need to customize them. Put extra attack there, but not a fluid.

Celes152
Feb 20, 2003, 02:56 PM
On 2003-02-20 11:01, Atari wrote:

i myself prefer the HUmar cause he is may favourite hunter(cast to bulky in shoulders, others i dont like playing as girls) some people say everyone is a HUmar but i see just as many people as HUcaseal or a "Hunny"

There was a pie chart a while back showing that a gross amount of people use HUmar, much much more than other classes.

Elusive_Llama
Feb 20, 2003, 03:04 PM
The strength of the Hunny lies in her ability to be self sufficient. Nobody ever said the Hunny had the highest ATP. Given the same level shifta, the Hunny would trail behind in ATP compared to the other hunters. However, it's her ability to take care of herself which makes her an excellent hunter class. Do you really want to trust your life to a Force who is probably busy tossing out rafoies and doesn't care about healing/buffing the team? I can't begin to count the number of times I've had to heal myself because the team's Force was being stingy with the restas. After all, tp ain't cheap. I've seen a number of forces who cast shifta/deband, and that's good, but I've only seen ONE so far who did S/D/J/Z on every group of enemies we run into. Guess who has to cast level 20 Jellen and Zalure? Ayup.

Every class has its advantages and disadvantages. You can't ever have a class who has it all, otherwise you'd see nothing BUT those classes online. I mean, if you gave a Humar level 20 techs and S/D, you'd see nothing but generic-costumed SePhIrOtHs and Cl0uDz running around with their J swords and Zanbas.

Anyway, I know I can pick any open game, walk in with my Hunny and play without having to worry about relying on total strangers to keep my character buffed and healthy. If the Force has to leave, so what? I can take care of myself and my teammates, if necessary. A game with 3 androids? No problem...level 20 S/D and restas on the way. A game with a good Force? Even better! I take advantage of level 30 S/D and lend a hand now and then with a resta or anti, or J/Z while retaining my ability to deal out massive damage. Don't be fooled by the Hunny's seemingly low ATP...you'll still be able to do great amounts of damage, with the right weapons equipped.

rayner
Feb 20, 2003, 03:07 PM
So wait a sec is there more than 6 shortcuts? Cause when I press Y it brings up the keyboard. Bringing up the menu ( with Z ) to use the fluids totaly throws me off. I also try to keep all my items sorted on auto so the fluids are like 1/2 way down the screen. doh!

Celes152
Feb 20, 2003, 03:10 PM
If you hold R, it gives you three more shortcuts for A B and X.

Elusive_Llama
Feb 20, 2003, 03:17 PM
No, there are only 6 shortcut keys you can use, they're the icons you see on the screen. I set them up on my Hunny as Normal-Hard-Resta on the first set, and StarAtomizer-SpecialAttack-Jellen on the second set. This way I can start a combo with the Normal key, then progress to Hard-Hard attacks without picking up any useless items (since you can't pick up items while in the middle of a combo). Sometimes I switch the special attack out for a rafoie, or rabarta.

Then there's the quick select menus, which you get to by holding the R button and pressing Y (the same button which accesses the keyboard), then you switch between those menus with the R button. You can also rearrange the spells on your quick select menu by highlighting a spell, pressing X, selecting another spell in the list and pressing X again to swap their places.

Atari
Feb 20, 2003, 03:24 PM
yea but where was this pie chart at, if the answer is psow i will say...case closed because its a small popluation that has answered that so using this as evidence that everyone plays humar is incorrect, you could say a majority of people from psow are humar, but still you cannot say you see more humars then any other class, i see just as much other classes

rayner
Feb 20, 2003, 03:28 PM
On 2003-02-20 12:17, Elusive_Llama wrote:
No, there are only 6 shortcut keys you can use, they're the icons you see on the screen. I set them up on my Hunny as Normal-Hard-Resta on the first set, and StarAtomizer-SpecialAttack-Jellen on the second set. This way I can start a combo with the Normal key, then progress to Hard-Hard attacks without picking up any useless items (since you can't pick up items while in the middle of a combo). Sometimes I switch the special attack out for a rafoie, or rabarta.

Then there's the quick select menus, which you get to by holding the R button and pressing Y (the same button which accesses the keyboard), then you switch between those menus with the R button. You can also rearrange the spells on your quick select menu by highlighting a spell, pressing X, selecting another spell in the list and pressing X again to swap their places.

OMG - I'm such a noob. This is what I get for not reading the instruction Manual. doh!

OriginalMalcolm
Feb 20, 2003, 04:24 PM
on pso1 and 2 for dc i used normal/hard/resta and shifta/deband/anti

im guessing if i made a HUnewearl on GC version when its out id use same shortcuts http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

MadCowChuck_
Feb 20, 2003, 04:49 PM
Well, if you are going with HUnewearl, may I suggest a wildly different approach...my personal shortcuts are Weak Attack/Special Attack/Strong Attack...with R-Resta/Att Spell of Choice/Att Spell of Choice. On the R+Y menu, make your top 5 spells: Shifta/Deband/Jell/Zalure/Anti. My top 5 items are all atomizers, fluids, and mates.

Then again, I'm one weird HUnewearl http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

TeamPhalanx
Feb 20, 2003, 07:17 PM
Personally, I change the buttom customization depending on the stage. However, the three primaries are:

Normal Attack
Hard Attack
Resta

I prefer Resta as the main, since I may accidently do a PB if it was on the secondary. The secondary buttons are usually:

Jellen, Zalure, Rabarta

This changes depending on the situation.

As for shifta and deband, forget about matching HUmar. HUnewearl comes close to (but doesn't match) HUcast's max ATP, assuming both are maxed out and the HUcast has no shifta.

As for defense, forget about Deband. Jellen is much more important in Ultimate mode since the enemy's stats are higher. While I'm at it, I should mention that, for the most part, Shifta is more important than Zalure - The only exception I can think of is Morfos.

For those who are still deceiving themselves about how good HUcaseal is, do take the time look at her stats and compare them to HUmar's. Mainly, focus on HP, ATP, ATA, and DFP - Stats that matter most to a HUnter.

dropslash
Feb 20, 2003, 07:56 PM
The stat that is the most important is the "style of play you use" stat. You can compare numbers all day, just because the shoe is the right size doesn't mean it's comfortable.

Personally, i think techniques are a huge pain in the ass. I'm sure any HUcaseal players here have witnessed the hilarity that is a room full of confused enemies pounding each other to death, or even better, in Ultimate, a swarm of Vulmers taking out the death spitting Ob Lilies for you (or, if you're fast enough, confuse the Lilies themselves and watch them turn into one hit room sweepers). Freezing an enemy solid and delivering enough damage to kill them 6 times over because you can swing a 3 hit combo out of your double saber or cross scar faster than any other class can get off the start of theirs.

I'm certainly not saying the HUcaseal is the best character class, and especially not if you play the numbers game, but part of the game is choosing a character you like and working with them.

Don't let numbers pick your character, that's the players job. Stick with what you like and make the numbers work for you.

TeamPhalanx
Feb 20, 2003, 08:02 PM
With Jellen and Deband, everything in the mines, cept the nano dragon, does under 10 HP worth of damage to Phalanx.

Also, HUcasts get more traps, and since freezing lowers EVP, ATA isn't much of a factor.

Xaveria
Feb 20, 2003, 08:25 PM
HUnewearl looks coolest

GandorDurin
Feb 20, 2003, 08:42 PM
On 2003-02-20 17:02, TeamPhalanx wrote:
With Jellen and Deband, everything in the mines, cept the nano dragon, does under 10 HP worth of damage to Phalanx.

Also, HUcasts get more traps, and since freezing lowers EVP, ATA isn't much of a factor.

I've yet to see a Nano Dragon in the mines, sounds neat! ...Close enough, I suppose. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Chronos
Feb 21, 2003, 12:14 AM
How could you stupid people not pick hucast. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Murako
Feb 21, 2003, 12:45 AM
I'm a HUcast, and I chose him because of two factors.

1.I think Techs(except Resta) are a big waste.
2. Hucast is the second best lvl 200 char(best is FOnewm)

Maelkith
Feb 21, 2003, 02:17 AM
hunewearl is the best hunter hands down. when it matters most she can go it alone. she is cheaper to play with than other hunters at high levels. sure, she starts slow, but when she gets going she cant be stopped.

thats why i always play as a hucast. when i want a severe challenge i just try offline seabed. the almighty hucast online is a quivering bed-wetter offline. even the hucaseal can evade the occasional attack. traps are nice but they are of little avail when a sinow zoas decides to jump and pummel a one hit hucast death. but... online with a force he is the king of hunters. he has traps galore, power to spare, and a really obcene amount of hitpoints. against falz a level 140 hucast with moons can assure victory.

i will vote for hunewearl as the best hunter, but the bi-polar nature of hucast just makes the game more interesting.

Elusive_Llama
Feb 21, 2003, 02:31 AM
1.I think Techs(except Resta) are a big waste.
2. Hucast is the second best lvl 200 char(best is FOnewm)

If techs are such a big waste, then why is the FOnewm the best level 200 char? Heh.

Maybe you meant level 20 techs are a big waste...well, perhaps the attack techs are, as I can't do very much damage with them in Ultimate. However, level 20 Shifta seems to add 35% of my base ATP.

So if my base ATP is 1000 without a weapon equipped, my ATP after shifta 20 is 1350. That's a difference of 350 ATP, and if you think that's negligable, I have a nice piece of real estate down in the swamplands to sell to you.

I have yet to max the ATP on my hunny, but when I do, I'll be sure to boost her with level 20 shifta and see if it will equal or top a Hucast's ATP. I have a sneaking suspicion that it WILL exceed a Hucast's ATP.

Consider...max ATP of hunny is 1237, and max ATP of Hucast is 1639. 1237 * 135% = 1670 (rounded up), and that's before Zalure is even cast. Of course, this is all just an educated guess at this point in time...

Bloodberry
Feb 21, 2003, 02:57 AM
Go dropslash! Go creative choice! Booo numbers! Yayyy communism! ... Ehh?

Xaveria
Feb 21, 2003, 06:29 AM
depends really, id personally choose either HUcast or HUnewearl

HUcast = awesome power (no skills)
HUnewearl = good all rounder (S/D/J/Z etc)

HUmar id say aren't as good on this version, as they just wont be upto the standard of a HUnewearl without shifta and deband (this is just my opinion tho http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

Armok
Feb 21, 2003, 09:34 AM
Hello has anyone heard of M&Y its better than lv 20 shifta anyway.

Oh it takes time to charge up, not if u use PB create the andriods best friend. Its like being constantly supercharged hehehe

Go for Hucast or Hucasearl

Elusive_Llama
Feb 21, 2003, 11:01 AM
Sounds like you've never actually used PB/create...

TeamPhalanx
Feb 21, 2003, 11:35 AM
Twins' PB is about level 21 or 22, and since it'll still take to generate, it's not a huge advantage. I think it favors RAcast/caseal more, since, again, Deband doesn't make much of a difference. I'd also pass on PB/Create for HUcast/caseal. You'll probably take enough of a beating from enemies that you don't need one.

FOnewm is best lv 200? Er... no. That's only limited to certain Episode I stages. Solo wise, he isn't even among the best overall characters. Episode II wise, he's a joke.