PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Prime Trilogy

Reksanden
Jul 29, 2009, 05:57 PM
I found out a few days ago that this game is released the 24th of August, and it's important to me because.... well check my profile and you'll know. Still, I've played the first two, and they were okay(Echo's ammo system made it even more challenging than the first). I've never played Corruption, so what am I in for(any new beams?suits?visors)?

Tyreek
Jul 29, 2009, 06:06 PM
As one who has beat the game near 100%. I can safely say, that you will like what you see. As for new beams/visors/suits, yes, you do get something new. I won't spoil that fun for you though. But I will say that Samus will get a bit more badass each time you upgrade.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 29, 2009, 06:07 PM
I'd honestly buy a Wii, just for this.

Except I'm broke. Still. ;-;

KodiaX987
Jul 29, 2009, 07:08 PM
I've never played Corruption, so what am I in for(any new beams?suits?visors)?

Beams now stack, which means you no longer need to manage beam ammo or switch everytime you come up to a door of a different color.

Wii controls are spot-on. Put it straight to Advanced control level and it'll feel like second nature within minutes.

There are more "storyline" events, in the sense that a situation presents itself to Samus and she must react to it in a special way. Consider them pseudo-boss battles.

IDing enemies and performing some milestones grant credits, which can be used towards unlocking artwork, music etc. You'll need an Internet connection to unlock some of the bonus content.

Alnet
Jul 29, 2009, 07:23 PM
Corruption was probably the most fun of the three for me, if only because the control scheme was absolutely flawless (therefore, going back and replaying the first 2 with revamped controls will be glorious).

As for what the game offers:
Multiple planets to run around on, so the game feels pretty friggin' huge
Ship controls ("Command Mode" - tell the ship to carry things, take you places, shoot missiles at things... etc.)
Controllable Hypermode (Remember the end of MP1? Yeah, THAT.)
Exposition of the plot where they explain why Metroid Prime and Emperor Ing were where they were when they were, but you gotta read into it~
Fancy-schmancy controls, but all 3 will have that~
No finding "keys" to unlock the final area of the game, which was my only issue with the first 2

However, due to the plot of the game, power-ups are quite different. For example, there is no Super Missle/Power Bomb, and things like that. Those have been replaced with Phazon armaments that you use in Hypermode and pretty much OHKO everything but bosses. Also, the Arm Cannon upgrades stack, in damage and in effect. You only get three beams in the game: Plasma Beam (not the same one from MP1), Nova Beam, and Hyper Beam (only usable in Hypermode, and is not the Hyper Beam from Super Metroid~). Plasma Beam will melt some walls (and enemies!), and can be used to solder mechanical equipment. The Nova Beam can shoot through Phazite (armored plating made from processed Phazon). When you get the Nova Beam, it simply becomes the default weapon while retaining Plasma's powers.

As for the Suits, there's only really one suit upgrade: the PED suit. It's not short for the "Pedo Suit", but an acronym of "Phazon Enhancement Device," used in Hypermode. A lot of Federation troopers can use Hypermode as well because they have Phazon containers with their suits, but as you'll find out in the beginning of the game, Samus will eventually begin producing Phazon from within her own body... Anyhow, there is another suit upgrade, but it only aesthetically takes its place on the shoulders (and Morph Ball), called the Hazard Shield. It reduces damage, and makes environmental hazards such as lava and acid deal null damage. The effect for when it's on is rather attractive, as well~

Aside from that, the upgrades are all pretty much standard issue. They decided to upgrade the grapple beam and missiles a trifle (Grapple Lasso to grab enemies, Grapple Voltage to drain/electrocute enemies, Ice Missile to... well, you know), but otherwise, you'll see some familiar things.

The game overall doesn't seem nearly as difficult as MP2, which on its first playthrough does everything but command you to commit suicide. There are a few points that try patience, but nothing over the top (though the Nova Beam trial was infuriating). It's possible to get through the game in the first playthrough without dying.

Ok, that's enough out of me. 83

Reksanden
Jul 29, 2009, 07:33 PM
I'm REALLY looking forward to it now!(not because you spoiled it(then again I DID ask....), because of your explanation.)

Randomness
Jul 29, 2009, 10:41 PM
I've played all three, and beaten 2. (My brother co-opted my file in Prime 1 when I was at Meta-Ridley, and cleared it. I didn't have the patience to do it over. Corruption... I think I got some other game before I got around to clearing it)

darkante
Jul 29, 2009, 10:48 PM
I canīt wait myself to get into my collection. (big fan of Metroid serie)
I had the urge to run through Metroid Prime 1 & 2 on the GC myself for a week or 2, but i wait so i can try it out with the new control scheme whenever the trilogi comes. =)

Hopefully, the extra content is decent at the least.

Outrider
Jul 29, 2009, 11:18 PM
I canīt wait myself to get into my collection. (big fan of Metroid serie)
I had the urge to run through Metroid Prime 1 & 2 on the GC myself for a week or 2, but i wait so i can try it out with the new control scheme whenever the trilogi comes. =)

Hopefully, the extra content is decent at the least.

There is no extra content.

They've merely changed the way in which you unlock the bonus content for Metroid Prime 1 & 2. There's no new content from the Gamecube releases.

Jaspaller
Jul 29, 2009, 11:35 PM
I never finished three, but I'm definitely looking forward to the trilogy. The fact that the Wii-mote controls from MP3 were added to MP1 and MP2 is a good enough reason to purchase it IMO. MP3's controls were amazing.

Dragwind
Jul 29, 2009, 11:52 PM
I've beaten all 3 Prime games, but I'm definitely considering buying this trilogy set. It really just sounds so refreshing, and more than worth another play-through of the Prime series.

darkante
Jul 30, 2009, 04:31 AM
There is no extra content.

They've merely changed the way in which you unlock the bonus content for Metroid Prime 1 & 2. There's no new content from the Gamecube releases.

Really? That blows, kinda expected some extra bosses or extra units to hunt.
Regardless iīm gonna get it, Wii remote control scheme is so fun with MP 3.

Zarode
Jul 30, 2009, 09:34 AM
I really enjoyed the NPC JP version of Metroid Prime. But it did have its flaws. Certain boss battles with precise aiming were too hard with free-aim. Luckily, they added the ability to switch back to the classic mode, and I tackled those mofos like it was nothing.

Though, to be honest, I dig the preorder bonuses you get with it.

Rust
Jul 30, 2009, 08:16 PM
I have all three, and even though I barely started Corruption (I haven't been in the mood for console gaming lately), the controls are so much fun that I think Trilogy would warrant a buy just for the change of gameplay.

I just hope they'll let me start on Hard mode without having to beat Normal first, like it is in Corruption, this time. D:

OrangeTippedGun
Jul 30, 2009, 10:50 PM
I hated the Metroid Prime games. EXCEPT for Metroid Prime Hunters, it was so underrated and it's still is today my favorite DS game. Excellent multiplayer, uses WiFi, and was also the first DS game to feature voice chat along with the option to use text if you felt like it.
I also really like the classic metroids. Fusion being my favorite. I just wish they would do something like they did with New Super Mario Bros and make a new badass Metroid that played like the classics. Other M looks meh.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 30, 2009, 11:03 PM
How can you hate Prime but love Hunters. I don't think I understand.

Rust
Jul 31, 2009, 12:11 AM
Hunters had the shittiest DS gameplay I have ever seen.
And Gorea didn't manage to hit me even once despite of that. :disapprove:

darkante
Jul 31, 2009, 06:39 AM
How can you hate Prime but love Hunters. I don't think I understand.
Honestly, i donīt understand either.
Itīs the same gameplay. :O

Outrider
Jul 31, 2009, 09:40 AM
Honestly, i donīt understand either.
Itīs the same gameplay. :O

Hunters is like the little brother that wants to be like his older, cooler sibling, but just doesn't quite get it.

It's not that Hunters is bad, it's just a poor take on the Prime series.

(But I will say that I found the game fun as well, just... lacking. I haven't even thought of it in a long while, maybe I'll look for the game at home and play a little this weekend.)

darkante
Jul 31, 2009, 09:54 AM
Well, they focused their attention on the Multiplayer mode.
And neglected the rest.

I can see why it feels poor then. But it still a worthwhile purchase, IMO.
I still enjoyed "Story" mode as odd as it might sound.

OrangeTippedGun
Aug 1, 2009, 01:11 AM
I never just never liked it Prime games on gamecube (Never actually played the Wii one yet)
Didn't like the single joystick controls, hated how you had the ability to lock onto enemies because it was an FPS. I'll admit, I never really gave the game much of a chance, but what I played I just really didn't like. Hunters on the other hand, I simply loved. The story mode was a bit "meh" I only played through it so I could unlock stuff for the multiplayer mode which anyone who has ever played it, would know that is where it shines. Given enough time with the stylus controls which seemed a bit clunky at first, you eventually get the hang of it and it's almost as fast and precise as using a mouse and keyboard. The multiplayer really required a lot of skill and precision and had a bunch of neat weapons and characters all with certain strong and weak points. It played just like the Quake arena. It was very fast paced and you always found yourself jumping everywhere if not bouncing off one of the arena's jump pads. It was also the first WiFi game to feature voice chat. You could only do it in the pregame lobby and not actually during a game but it was still great and the sound quality was excellent. And if you didn't feel like talking you still had the option to use Text chat.
That game was simply balls crazy. What was there not to love? People who didn't like it didn't give it enough time. Then again, I never gave any of the Prime games on GCN much of a chance either. :/
MEH

Zarode
Aug 1, 2009, 03:37 PM
And in your second sentence, look at that! You're wrong!

METROID PRIME IS NOT A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.

It is a first person adventure that happens to have a gun you shoot with.

Metroid is not Halo. Metroid Prime Hunters is the retarded little brother in the family of intelligent and worth while games.

Also:

That game was simply balls crazy. What was there not to love? People who didn't like it didn't give it enough time.

Ahahaha...oh man, the irony...

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Aug 1, 2009, 06:29 PM
I heard about this a long time ago, and I've been excited about it since.
The Metroid Prime games are friggin amazing, and the fact that their all being remade (Except 3, for obvious reasons) makes this all the better. I also read that the trilogy was going to be $50. (I forget where I read this. And I'm probably gonna need someone to confirm this. ;x)
MP: Hunters wasn't all that bad, I played through the entire game too. The Online is great for a DS game, but the fact that most of the matches I've played were with people who hacked.. Was just.. Ugh.. -_- it was a real turn-off, pretty much.

Zarode
Aug 2, 2009, 12:45 AM
I also read that the trilogy was going to be $50. (I forget where I read this. And I'm probably gonna need someone to confirm this. ;x)

Confirmed. But beware, this isn't a true remake. It's like the rest of the of the new play control stuff that has been coming out. Well, besides the fact that they claim there is some more bloom or something I dunno. I didn't see any new visuals.

OrangeTippedGun
Aug 3, 2009, 01:08 AM
*likes Metroid Prime Hunters because it was the only fun Metroid Prime game*

Rust
Aug 3, 2009, 09:14 AM
*likes Metroid Prime Hunters because it was the only fun Metroid Prime game*

Matter of opinion, dude.
For me, Hunters tried to turn Metroid into a FPS and failed at it, mainly thanks to the fact battles were more of an endurance run to keep the NDS right in your hand while shooting (I have small hands) than actual difficult ones.
One of the few games for which I said "Good riddance" when I finished it.

Outrider
Aug 3, 2009, 11:14 AM
text

I'm just shocked that somebody who claims to be a fan of the classic Metroid games* somehow thinks that Metroid Prime is supposed to be played like a shooter. I mean - it's a more-linear Super Metroid, but with a first person view. How is that not Metroid?

*You mention that you like the classic games, but say Fusion is your favorite - even though Fusion actually came out at the same time as the first Metroid Prime. You have played Super Metroid, right?

Randomness
Aug 3, 2009, 02:20 PM
I'm just shocked that somebody who claims to be a fan of the classic Metroid games* somehow thinks that Metroid Prime is supposed to be played like a shooter. I mean - it's a more-linear Super Metroid, but with a first person view. How is that not Metroid?

*You mention that you like the classic games, but say Fusion is your favorite - even though Fusion actually came out at the same time as the first Metroid Prime. You have played Super Metroid, right?

To be fair, the classic Metroid games were perhaps too non-linear, in that you might have to wander for an hour to find where your latest power-up lets you go. (And thus the next powerup)

Reksanden
Aug 3, 2009, 04:22 PM
In the Metroid Primes, a computer(or the ship) tells you what to do next. And in some rooms, the enemies change according to the story. Example: in MP2 after a while the annoying-as-hell Dark Pirate Commandos start appearing in some rooms. Whats worse, they lock the doors.

AC9breaker
Aug 3, 2009, 09:06 PM
The DS one was hella fun and I played it to death. The only thing that fucked it up was all the hax0rs and glitches. Kinda like Mario Kart DS. It was fun, then assholes fucked it up.

When my cousins got their Wii for Christmas I went out the next day and bought them Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I then proceeded to bogart their Wii and played the game up until the 3rd boss fight when the guy in the armed suit throws his ship at you. Anyway, In anticipation for Monster Hunter 3 and me eventually getting a Wii, I'm totally gonna pick this up even though I don't have a Wii yet.

In the Metroid Primes, a computer(or the ship) tells you what to do next.

Thats the hint mode dood. You gotta man up and turn that shit off! It would always bother me when I finally figured out where I was suppose to go next and that annoying ass hint system would then tell me to go there.

OrangeTippedGun
Aug 3, 2009, 11:53 PM
The DS one was hella fun and I played it to death. The only thing that fucked it up was all the hax0rs and glitches. Kinda like Mario Kart DS. It was fun, then assholes fucked it up.

Lol same here. I broke my 2nd fat DS playing that game a bit too extreme. Lol but I happened to break it just in time for DS lite's release so that was a great excuse to get a new DS. I got the game at launch when there were pretty much no hackers and not many glitches were discovered yet. I put a lot of time into it and I was pretty good. 5 months after the games release, I still managed to maintain an 82% win ratio. I don't think I have ever been more competitive with any other game in my life. Well maybe Super Smash bros Melee and Brawl.
When the glitchers and hackers came that was truly sad because they really did ruin the experience. Thankfully, by the time pretty much everyone you were paired up with in matchmaking was a hacker I only played the game casually and wasn't nearly as competitive as I was around the first year the game was out.

SubstanceD
Aug 5, 2009, 05:13 AM
I still own Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 for the Gamecube and I HATE the controls in Metoid Prime 3 so I am going to avoid this Trilogy pack like the plague when it comes out since the only real addition is the Wii mote controls for the first 2 games.

To be honest, as a Gamecube owner I am a little bit pissed that Nintendo is re-releasing alot of old Gamecube games with added Wii mote controls and that they expect gamers to be happy with it. That just seems so lazy. I would much rather see them working on new IP's than porting games that I played 5 - 7 years ago. What's even worse is that gamers seem to be lapping these games up.

I suppose Metroid Prime trilogy is a bargain if you don't own any of the Metroid Prime games, it all comes down to whether you like the Wii mote or note ( I fucking hate it ) and whther you prefer FPS's to FPA's since the added Wii mote controls really change the emphasis on Metroid Prime's gameplay from adventure and exploration to shooting and dodging stuff.

Tyreek
Aug 5, 2009, 06:29 AM
I don't know if anyone mentioned this at all, but to me it seems that the only other new thing to this game compared to the new Wii control functions to 1 and 2, is the new Veteran's Mode for all 3 games.