PDA

View Full Version : I believe I discovered something about gaining ATA

ViewtifulJoe
Aug 1, 2009, 06:19 AM
This very well be something everyone already knows, and it also might be totally untrue, and in either case I expect to be informed of such.

I'm pretty sure that you can actually gain half an ATA point. This doesn't make sense of course, because there are only whole numbers in stats, but my confusion about whether you're granted an ATA point at each odd mag dex level or each even level seems to have led to a discovery. For the longest time, I was sure that every time your mag gains a level in dex that makes it odd, the ATA goes up, so with 1 dex your mag gives you 1 ATA, with 2 dex you get 1 ATA, with 3 you get 2 ATA, etc. Someone here said it's the even number that gives you ATA, and they seemed to be right, because my Hunewearl with 37 dex on her mag gets 18 ATA from it.

However, I noticed something very odd with this character. She gets 1 ATA every other level up according to the stats that are listed at the instant the level increases, but on her stat list, her ATA only increases on the level ups where it says she doesn't get any ATA. This is obviously weird, her last level up was something like 3 atp, 2 def, 4 mst, 1 ata and 3 evp, but her ata was listed at 166 both before and after that level up, and based on the level before that, next she'll probably get no ata but have 167 after she levels up.

Now, I need to level her up one more time to prove or disprove my hypothesis, but as it stands, my idea is that her 37 dex mag gives her not 18 nor 19 but 18.5 ATA, and she doesn't get 1 ATA every 2 levels but rather .5 ATA every level. That would explain why she gets ATA on the levels where it says she doesn't get ata, and vice versa, and why I thought that mags give you ata on the odd level. The game either rounds up or down when the ata is some value ending in .5. When I level up, she'll have 167 ata, and if it says that her mag give her 19 ata, then I'll be right, if it still says the mag gives 18, then I have no idea what's going on and her levels are just weird.

Bitzen
Aug 1, 2009, 02:06 PM
I think I noticed something like this too. I saw my +1 ata when I leveled up, but when I check it still said 149. But my next level up, it didn't mention ata at all and I noticed it was at 150. My mag has an even amount of dex, 44, but it still seems weird.

zombiemoshpit84
Aug 1, 2009, 02:35 PM
very interesting. when you gain your next lv be sure to tell me the outcome. im going to do some tests of my own to confirm this. i think you might be on to something. http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/tf2_scout-440x248.jpg why dont you say it to my face tough guy...BONK!

Genoa
Aug 1, 2009, 02:35 PM
you might be on to something with the 1/2 ATA levels because I have also noticed many times that I level up and it tells me I have received +1 ATA, I still have the same ATA, then the next level if it doesn't tell me I received anything, I get +1 ATA.

However, Mags DEX plays differently depending what class you are.
Hunter and Forces level ATA every even number
Rangers level ATA every odd number.
( I always say Rangers are the odd ones out :roll: )

ViewtifulJoe
Aug 1, 2009, 03:48 PM
you might be on to something with the 1/2 ATA levels because I have also noticed many times that I level up and it tells me I have received +1 ATA, I still have the same ATA, then the next level if it doesn't tell me I received anything, I get +1 ATA.

However, Mags DEX plays differently depending what class you are.
Hunter and Forces level ATA every even number
Rangers level ATA every odd number.
( I always say Rangers are the odd ones out :roll: )

Maybe the thing is for rangers, they round up when your ata is something.5, and for hunters and forces they round down.

Ketchup345
Aug 2, 2009, 01:20 AM
I think I remember some people saying Rangers at some points gained 0.75 ATA per level (if I did read it, it was years ago, so my memory may be wrong).

It is true that characters have an "in between" ATA levels, which can be seen with either a Mag or with a Master/Ability. How the partial ATA points affect the accuracy, I'm not entirely sure.

ViewtifulJoe
Aug 2, 2009, 06:19 AM
I think I remember some people saying Rangers at some points gained 0.75 ATA per level (if I did read it, it was years ago, so my memory may be wrong).

It is true that characters have an "in between" ATA levels, which can be seen with either a Mag or with a Master/Ability. How the partial ATA points affect the accuracy, I'm not entirely sure.

I just confirmed my theory, and it is consistent with what a previous poster said about ranger getting ATA on the odd number and hunters and forces getting it on the evens. When I leveled up to lvl 100, I didn't get an ATA in the level up, but my ATA increased from 166 to 167, and according to the stats on my mag, the mag gives me 19 ATA from 37 dex levels, whereas before it gave me 18. Obviously my mag's properties have not changed, so it must be what I was describing. I am too tired to explain why right now, but it makes sense, I promise.

Fox2Tails
Aug 2, 2009, 08:10 AM
Wait...People here have only just noticed the ".5 ATA" thing? this has been known for a LONG time on other places

Ketchup345
Aug 2, 2009, 10:44 AM
Wait...People here have only just noticed the ".5 ATA" thing? this has been known for a LONG time on other placesI'd say more of "brought up again" as I remember participating in at least one discussion years ago, and forum search brought up a few results.

ViewtifulJoe
Aug 2, 2009, 03:41 PM
Wait...People here have only just noticed the ".5 ATA" thing? this has been known for a LONG time on other places

That's what I thought, but before now I never really paid attention to how ATA increases strangely sometimes. Based on how someone told me mags get an ATA every even level and I'm pretty sure that was wrong, I don't think the majority of people on here know.