PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Phantasy Star Portable 2 coming

MrPOW
Aug 2, 2009, 03:34 PM
Courtesy of duckroll over at NeoGAF:

"On 8th Oct 2009, Sega will be releasing the budget priced Phantasy Star Portable. It will come with a Video UMD, containing a 3 episode story feature which covers the PSU story called Phantasy Star Universe Chronicle. Said Video UMD will also include the opening cinematic for Phantasy Star Portable 2, due to be released this Winter. The Video UMD has a runtime of 63mins in total."

And an image:

http://i28.tinypic.com/6sdz7c.jpg

http://ebten.jp/sega/p/4974365900496/

Volcompat321
Aug 2, 2009, 03:36 PM
I cant read Japanese, does it actually say on the box it includes PS:P2 video?

MrPOW
Aug 2, 2009, 03:38 PM
Me either, lol, but it appears so. Notice the PSP2 logo.

landman
Aug 2, 2009, 05:16 PM
The bottom line in the scan "clearly" says fantashii sutaa pootaburu 2

Ryna
Aug 2, 2009, 06:29 PM
This is a nice surprise. I look forward to seeing additional details about this game.

Dragwind
Aug 2, 2009, 06:42 PM
I hope there will be more online support if we do get the sequel.

MrPOW
Aug 2, 2009, 07:12 PM
I am very curious about the content of the game. The first one contained almost all the missions and weapons from the console version of PSU. If this is a full-fledged sequel I think there is a very good chance we could see all-new areas, enemies and items. After the job Alfa System did designing the new weapons for the first PSP that is a very exciting prospect.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 2, 2009, 09:30 PM
Awesome. But everytime I hear PS:P2, I think of something absolutely epic. Like CASTs being able to summon Ted Nugent to shred on his guitar so they can be protected by enemy attacks or Freddy Mercury riding into the battlefield on a horse doing massive damage to all enemies while an awesome guitar riff plays.

But other than that I hope to see new stuff in the PSP2 version like we did with the original.

Dragwind
Aug 2, 2009, 10:36 PM
I'm wondering if they'll decide to put in the new stat system from PSU's "supplemental update" into the game.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 2, 2009, 10:46 PM
Probably will. I'm also sure they might put in the new outfits from the uniform contest in there as well.

NexGen
Aug 2, 2009, 11:44 PM
http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=4632

Phantasy Star Portable 2, allegedly.

joefro
Aug 2, 2009, 11:48 PM
Hmm...that screenshot is rather blurry and there isn't any link but it seems plausible. Seems like a "Game of the Year" edition of PSP1 in October and then PSP2 probably around January-February next year.

EDIT: seems like there is a thread in psp general, http://pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167653

landman
Aug 2, 2009, 11:55 PM
I think they had enough stages left from PSU not included in PSP to make a new game without any new stage , but I hope they make a real sequel and they include it later to PSU (stages and items)

joefro
Aug 3, 2009, 12:06 AM
It would be nice if they would do another full fledged retail expansion to PSU to go along with this.

Kylie
Aug 3, 2009, 01:48 AM
If only PSU was receiving a new installment, but I guess we can expect to see PSP2's content in a distant DLC update.

Arika
Aug 3, 2009, 05:50 AM
PSU main game nowadays is receiving new items from PSP for every new update they got. (JP one)

so I think they are going to do it the same, new content will be add to PSP first and then make it as downloadable content for the PC version. It is possible that we might not see any expansion again...

darkante
Aug 3, 2009, 06:51 AM
It better be some brand new enviorment and new photon arts/combos to unleash hell with.

Which i highly doubt. But i like to be suprised for once.

Tweengo
Aug 3, 2009, 08:24 AM
Oh great, a psp2. I'm not into PSP as much as I thought I'd be. Not as addictive as PSO 1 and 2 on the 'Cube in my opinion 'coughredboxcough'. Suppose I could try it though once it....oh wait, I live in the UK, and that's part of Europe. Damn. Looks like I won't be seeing it here then.....just like PSO Plus.....*whisperdamnyousegawhisper* :(

Skyly HUmar
Aug 3, 2009, 09:08 AM
Well PSP1 was fun till I got to Lv 100 and everything became easy. Knowing PSU the sequal will be better XD.

Mysterious-G
Aug 3, 2009, 11:00 AM
Phantasy Star Portable 2 continues Vivienne's story as she finds herself being trapped inside Rykros of a different timeline.
At the side of a trustworthy Hunter, which is you, she is going to unveil the mystery that some of you might already know from the milestone setting game Phantasy Star Online!
As darkness is rasing once more, will she find a way back home?!

*Explore Ragol once more in all-new graphics! (PSU's Illusion fields)

*Including all the content from the Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe series!

In winter 2009 nostalgic feelings are guaranteed as you face the biggest Phantasy Star ever!!
The darkness is waiting for you!

That would sound good, wouldn't it. :o

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 3, 2009, 12:09 PM
Wait...PS:P2 is going to be set partially on Ragol? That sounds pretty cool. I might pre-order this mofo!

Evila
Aug 3, 2009, 12:28 PM
More Guardians Cash items for the online game! Woo!

I mean uh, sarcasm aside, a sequel already?! I was all hyped for the first one but still haven't gotten a PSP yet, need to hurry up on that. [EDIT] Oh and this price down re-release of the first game is awesome too, guess I'll grab it to see the DLC that the US version lacked.

SammaeltheDark
Aug 3, 2009, 12:34 PM
Most likely Sega is just gonna shove all remaining data from PSU into PS:P2.
Mother Brain, Dark Falz (fish), Dark Falz (Fakis 2), maybe a new boss that's network mode only, and a bunch more "new" weapons recreated from PSO. Hopefully that means we'll see Crazy Tune again, finally.

In my opinion, the number one thing that Sega could do to make the game actually worth playing is to include being able to trade items between players this time. PSPo was just a glorified offline mode without the ability to trade. Even PSZ got that right and that's the game where you couldn't even walk while having a menu open!

RubyEclipse
Aug 3, 2009, 01:24 PM
Interesting. ;)

Mysterious-G
Aug 3, 2009, 02:33 PM
Interesting, so you finally get to know about it, aswell. I like the demo they sent to me last week. ;)

... ;)

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 3, 2009, 04:01 PM
So January 2010 the US will be seeing this huh?

Better get ready to pre-order this mug.

Dragwind
Aug 3, 2009, 04:19 PM
Wow, that sounds pretty neat. I hope they include more variations of forest, caves, mines and ruins. Running the same ones over and over in MAG got old really fast.

Here's to hoping we get to see some Ep.2 and maybe Ep.4 areas :wacko:

deso123
Aug 3, 2009, 04:23 PM
as long as it doesnt suck and has online... like... psp......... because that was a good game......

Akuno Ayanokoji
Aug 4, 2009, 12:28 AM
A sequel already?
Well, it was only a matter of time I s'pose.

I'm looking forward to what this one will have. Hopefully update a LOT of things from PS:P1
Although, with what Sega did for the us version of PS:P, I'm not having really high expectations.

Volcompat321
Aug 4, 2009, 12:46 AM
I think I will be happy if we get 200/50/30(level/PA's/Classes).
I care more about that than other missions and weps. Maybe some S2-3 missions?
I cant wait to downloadbuy this game!
Mostly I want the 200/50/30, but I will be excited for anything we get.
Hopefully, we can trade items so we don't have to find things on multiple characters, or get CAST only items on a non cast as a reward (bardiche and many others)
Then again, things would be able to be duplicated, which is why I doubt this will happen. Either way, yay new game already!

(btw, I'll actually buy this game because I support SEGA and I actually want them to get more money, so they can keep coming up with better things)
Hopefully new weapons that weren't in PSU or PSO. Better male clothing?! (hate male clothing which is why I mostly play female characters) Who knows :wacko:

joefro
Aug 4, 2009, 01:34 AM
Yeah I'd have to agree on the 200/50/30 thing. It would be great going getting levels up that high, I actually really, really enjoy grinding in rpgs. :wacko:

If the UI is like the current PSP, I might actually import this instead of waiting for the US version.

landman
Aug 4, 2009, 01:38 AM
Phantasy Star Portable 2 continues Vivienne's story as she finds herself being trapped inside Rykros of a different timeline.
At the side of a trustworthy Hunter, which is you, she is going to unveil the mystery that some of you might already know from the milestone setting game Phantasy Star Online!
As darkness is rasing once more, will she find a way back home?!

*Explore Ragol once more in all-new graphics! (PSU's Illusion fields)

*Including all the content from the Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe series!

In winter 2009 nostalgic feelings are guaranteed as you face the biggest Phantasy Star ever!!
The darkness is waiting for you!

That would sound good, wouldn't it. :o
I thought that post was a joke, but some some responses make me think it was not.

panzer_unit
Aug 4, 2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I thought that was a joke too. I don't think anything's known about the game except that it's coming in January.

I doubt in any built-in online support, since PS3 AdHoc Party makes that pretty much a freebie.

I'm sure the caps will be raised so maxed-out existing characters can keep leveling.

For content, probably we'll see ports the PSU (boss fight) missions that aren't in PSP and hopefully a lot of new weapons and equipment... PS:P had a short (in comparison) mission list but a boatload of new gear compared to what was available in PSU so I'd assume the sequel would be the same way. Besides, having more powerful gear to collect is the same (if not bigger) reason for existing players to get the sequel as higher level caps... most of the fun is in completing collections and powering up your dude.

Mysterious-G
Aug 4, 2009, 01:14 PM
I thought that post was a joke, but some some responses make me think it was not.

I thought my last sentence would make everything clear. :)

Did it sound prefessional? :O

landman
Aug 4, 2009, 02:44 PM
I had no doubts at the beginning, I suppose some people didn't read the last sentence.

SubstanceD
Aug 5, 2009, 05:48 AM
I suppose this was inevitable in a way, the first Phantasy Star Portable game sold very well ( especially in Japan ) so it makes sense that that there would be a sequel.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. It's not that I hate PSU ( I do have alot of complaints about the franchise in general but the games are still very much playable.... to a certain extent anyway ) or PSP, it's just that I want to know how is PSP2 going to be different to PSP. Sure they can add new weapons and new clothing. They probably will add Rykros ( they should at the very least ) and a few new levels but at the end of the day I don't think PSP2 is going to do a better job of holding my attention than PSU or PSP did. By the time I got done with Phantasy Star Portable's story mode ( a necessary evil required to unlock more levels, clothing and items sold in stores ) I was already sick and tired of the game. By the time I hit level 70 I was pretty much forcing myself to enjoy the game.

Akuno Ayanokoji
Aug 5, 2009, 10:46 PM
After a while PS:P1 did get a little boring. I had to force myself to find some other things
to do to keep playing. And after several failed attempts to get certain weapons, I had to force myself to keep on going for them.

I'm just hoping that the sequel will be better than the first. I like the idea of raising the caps on lvl and types.

Although, as I said in an earlier post, I don't have very high expectations for this one.

firefox kyuubi
Aug 6, 2009, 08:33 PM
Now this I really have to see how this turns out it might be little bit fun.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 6, 2009, 11:30 PM
PS:P2 will probably have an option to import characters over from the PS:P1 files. I mean, Sega can't hate us THAT much can they? Or if we do try to port our save files we get RickRoll'd.

darkante
Aug 6, 2009, 11:31 PM
Also, it better have challenging foes.
I want to whine on how much things owns me. XD

superfriedrice03
Aug 7, 2009, 12:35 AM
I thought my last sentence would make everything clear. :)

Did it sound prefessional? :O

Yeah, it actually did sound professional. I actually got excited while reading it ^^;

If you ever get tired of farming for items, CW Cheat will make it 2x quicker for ya ^^

RemiusTA
Aug 7, 2009, 12:40 PM
The fact they're working on Sequel content for PSP2 before more content for our version kind of pisses me off.

We ARE the ones paying $10 a month on top of buying both games. If anyone gets new weapons, stages or enemies, it should definately be the console versions.

Akuno Ayanokoji
Aug 8, 2009, 10:52 AM
PS:P2 will probably have an option to import characters over from the PS:P1 files. I mean, Sega can't hate us THAT much can they? Or if we do try to port our save files we get RickRoll'd.

Well, lets put it this way...
Sega did not, in fact, give the US/EU ANY kind of DLC, no?
It's that fact, which kinda screws over the US/EU version owners.
Sega did not plan to give the US/EU version DLC, while it was still coming out for us. It doesn't seem that they will plan on giving the US/EU version DLC or any kind fo it at all.

Somehow, I don't really think they would let us import our characters from the first one. I don't think they like us that much.

Volcompat321
Aug 8, 2009, 03:23 PM
Importing saves from an older game will happen.
Look at Monster Hunter.
I can almost guarantee we will get the PS:P1-PS:P2 character import.
If we don't get it, I will quit PSO-W and you guys can flame me all you want. lol.
I'm not worried about it one bit. Now, being a second game and all, I don't see why they cant add some DLC on the second disc. It's a new disc, is it not?
I cant guarantee them giving us some sort of DLC on the new game, but we can hope.

Mag Launcher
Aug 9, 2009, 02:22 PM
I'm wondering if it will be like Ver. 2 for the Dreamcast with the ability to link between PSP 1 and 2!

Just the thought of having PSO's levels in the game plus a max character level of 200 would be awesome!

Otherwise I'm very much looking forward to this game! :D

EspioKaos
Aug 18, 2009, 03:29 AM
First images of PSP2 have been leaked by Famitsu!

http://www.psuxxx.info/uploader/src/up2506.jpg
http://www.psuxxx.info/uploader/src/up2507.jpg
http://www.psuxxx.info/uploader/src/up2508.jpg

Looking at some of the character artwork shown here, it's now obvious that the RPG mentioned at newrpg.sega.jp is this.

Also, it says this game takes place three years after the SEED incident. A few character names I can see are Amelia Percival (the girl in the CUBIC GIRL school girl outfit) and Yoot (the beast boy with that TENORA spear). And there's at least one new RELICS area in the game.

Phaesphora
Aug 18, 2009, 04:05 AM
'Yoot' has ears that I might categorize as 'beasty'... unless I'm seeing that wrong. Great find!

darkante
Aug 18, 2009, 04:30 AM
So it seems like we finally get some new material.
Looks promising.

EspioKaos
Aug 18, 2009, 05:02 AM
'Yoot' has ears that I might categorize as 'beasty'... unless I'm seeing that wrong. Great find!
Ooh, you're right. Thanks! I've fixed it in my original post.

Evila
Aug 18, 2009, 05:21 AM
Wow... And here I was thinking that Sega teaser site would reveal some all new game. With the design deviation, I wonder if the online game will be getting any of that stuff? Like could you imagine a Cast in PSU walking around with those parts? XD Looks pretty cool, glad to see original stuff out of the gate. Hope some clearer pics pop up soon.

Chibi_psu
Aug 18, 2009, 05:37 AM
OMFG I WANT THAT SCHOOLGIRL OUTFIT NOW

Ash1ey
Aug 18, 2009, 08:55 AM
OMFG I WANT THAT SCHOOLGIRL OUTFIT NOW

Me too

StamiStar
Aug 18, 2009, 09:51 AM
So this may take place before, after, 'what-if' spin-off of PSU or it's a new entry of PS? Need to clarify.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.psuxxx.info/uploader/src/up2508.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
Hey! That newman has Magical Piece! And that blonde girl....

Dhylec
Aug 18, 2009, 09:55 AM
That's something. I am somewhat interested in this new game.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 18, 2009, 10:14 AM
First images of PSP2 have been leaked by Famitsu!

http://www.psuxxx.info/uploader/src/up2506.jpg
http://www.psuxxx.info/uploader/src/up2507.jpg
http://www.psuxxx.info/uploader/src/up2508.jpg

Looking at some of the character artwork shown here, it's now obvious that the RPG mentioned at newrpg.sega.jp is this.

Also, it says this game takes place three years after the SEED incident. A few character names I can see are Amelia Percival (the girl in the CUBIC GIRL school girl outfit) and Yoot (the beast boy with that TENORA spear). And there's at least one new RELICS area in the game.

I showed my "sis" these pics and she summed it up pretty well: "I don't know who's gonna come first. Me or this game. Wait, hold on...it's gonna be me. HNNNNNNNNGGGGGGHHHH!". End akwardness.

But yep. I'm excited now. Gonna hafta learn up on my katakanana.

Ryna
Aug 18, 2009, 10:44 AM
That's cool. I hope we'll see some better scans soon.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 18, 2009, 10:51 AM
You know what would make my day? If they used Genki Rocket's "Heavenly Star" for the room music. As a matter of fact...I don't think I would leave my room if that played.

Raven5_1
Aug 18, 2009, 11:14 AM
Fuck. i don't have a psp.

i guess we know where sega's priority lies.

Mixfortune
Aug 18, 2009, 11:37 AM
I'd honesty be surprised if it didn't happen this way, what with the sales numbers PS:P pulled in. Seemed fairly obvious they'd try their hand at a PSP original since that first one was so popular and it was essentially PSU. It's just a bit sooner than I was expecting. Still, looking good so far, I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

Volcompat321
Aug 18, 2009, 11:45 AM
Maybe they thought the game was so easy, why not release a newer one fast?
You have to admit, the game is super easy, maybe we will see some S2(maybe S3 too) missions in this one. I can only hope.
My hopeful guess(obviously doesn't mean anything) is they will give us 30 class cap, 200 character cap, 50 PA cap, maybe some DLC for US/EU players, and S2 with some S3 missions.
My guess of what they might actually give us is, S2 missions, 30/50/150-200. I doubt the US/EU game will get any DLC, and I doubt we will get S3 missions, but we can all wish for it!
(I say 150-200 because if we don't get S3, and we have 200 character cap, the game will be really easy still. 150 seems like a good number to stop at if we don't see S3's)

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 18, 2009, 12:53 PM
Yea I higher Level cap would be good. I mean, I can get to 100 without any trouble. But seriously, PSP:2 is lookin pretty damn good.

Blueblur
Aug 18, 2009, 01:19 PM
Phantasy Star Portable Gets A Sequel
Sega unveils a fully net-ready mobile PS.
By Kevin Gifford, 08/18/2009

Sega's Phantasy Star Portable was released last spring in America to pretty decent reviews -- James Mielke called it "far superior in terms of playability" to Monster Hunter, its main competition -- but not a heck of a lot of fanfare. Things were different in Japan, where Sega shipped out over 650,000 copies of the game to stores, making it one of the biggest sellers of 2008 over there. Now the publisher's announced work on a PSP sequel, one that -- as always -- promises everything but the (futuristic, neon, black-light) kitchen sink.

Set in the same world as Phantasy Star Universe and its progeny, Phantasy Star Portable 2 takes place three years after the original PSP game. Instead of being cast as member of the elite Guardians group, your character works for Little Wing, a civilian outfit running a space-colony resort called Clad 6. Producer Satoshi Sakai told Famitsu magazine that the story mode will feature twice as much voice and text content as the previous game: "People told us that the story mode in the previous game didn't have enough volume; the missions were never that complex, either. With this project, we're including a lot of new tricks and traps in the missions, which should make it a challenge even in single-player."

The additions don't end with the story, though. PSP2 has more new monsters, more new missions (three times as many as before, according to Sakai), and fully redone character designs for all of the game's default classes. Every class will have a few new moves in battle, including an "emergency dodge" that lets you go right back on the offensive, charged shots for gun-type weapons, and shields that damage enemies if you block attacks at just the right time. (These shields were also in the DS's Phantasy Star 0, but now you can pair them with another single-handed weapon.)

Most key, perhaps, is that PSP2 is slated to support Infrastructure Mode, meaning you'll be able to quest around with anyone you like over the Internet instead of being stuck with ad-hoc multiplayer. "Generally you'll go to the matching counter to get matched up in a four-person party and play from there," Sakai said. "If you want to play with friends, you can exchange partner cards or use the search function to find them. We're also working on multiplayer-only missions that are about a lot more than just slaying monsters."

PSP2 is due out December 3 in Japan for 5040 yen; no US release has been announced. Source: 1up.com (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175625)

Okay, now I'm getting excited. They're adding elements from PSZ and the game is sounding more like a proper sequel with new content.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 18, 2009, 01:26 PM
Source: 1up.com (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175625)

Okay, now I'm getting excited. They're adding elements from PSZ and the game is sounding more like a proper sequel with new content.

Oh I like that. THe idea you can ACTUALLY go online and play with others. I'm tired of hearing a certain emo bitch and moan about not getting an Agito Repca. Also gettin punched in the arm when I lose all my scape dolls and in need of ressurecting.

Evila
Aug 18, 2009, 01:30 PM
Ah, nice to see infrastructure mode confirmed! I saw it on the 2ch thread but wasn't sure if it was true. Also glad to hear that the dodge ability and shields will be in there, and well, everything else. :D

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 18, 2009, 01:33 PM
About time a dodge ability is implemented. Now all we need is "Put fist through monster's mouth an fire off a baker's dozen of Foie" action and I would marry this game.

MrPOW
Aug 18, 2009, 02:21 PM
Since most of the new items from the first PSP got added to PSU via an update (in Japan anyway), I am curious to how these PSP games are being developed. I wonder if they are creating the new assets and in the sequel's case, the new monsters, areas and mechanics in a way that makes them easily portable to the console game? It makes sense. Not that I'll be upset if we never see this game's features in the console game, but it would be cool.

Online mode will make this game. I enjoyed the first game but don't play it much since I don't know anyone who has it.

I am assuming Alfa System is again developing this game, so I hope that means the PSU team is knee-deep in a brand new console game (PSO2?) :P

Dragwind
Aug 18, 2009, 02:23 PM
This just sounds amazing to me. It actually does seem to bring back more features of PSO and PSZ. Finally, including infrastructure mode? Awesome. I have a feeling this one might sell much better in the states than PS:P did. Here's to hoping we'll get better support with updates and DLC.

One of the main reasons I can't get into PS:P much is because being used to PSU, PS:P feels like you're playing a game that's meant to be played with others, alone. When your only options are Xlink (which most people don't care about going through the frustration to set up) or local friends to play with, the game makes it feel like you're missing out on a lot playing alone.

Online mode in PS:P2 is going to be the selling point for me.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 18, 2009, 03:21 PM
This just sounds amazing to me. It actually does seem to bring back more features of PSO and PSZ. Finally, including infrastructure mode? Awesome. I have a feeling this one might sell much better in the states than PS:P did. Here's to hoping we'll get better support with updates and DLC.

One of the main reasons I can't get into PS:P much is because being used to PSU, PS:P feels like you're playing a game that's meant to be played with others, alone. When your only options are Xlink (which most people don't care about going through the frustration to set up) or local friends to play with, the game makes it feel like you're missing out on a lot playing alone.

Online mode in PS:P2 is going to be the selling point for me.

This is exactly a big selling point for me as well. When I'm done at work and don't feel like going home, I'll just pop on and snag a poor saps to go questing. Not only that I won't have to go over my lil sis' apartment and deal with her cat. I'm allergic to cats. But I can't help havin it near me becuase ITS THE CUTEST THING EVAR! I love Scottish Folds. Anyways, I think we might have a few more non-photon weapons. Which would be great. I'm tired of looking at my beam-I mean, photon saber.

Mag Launcher
Aug 18, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'll be looking forward to this game even more now after reading all this cool info!

If it does indeed have an online mode then I'll be up for some multiplayer action with anyone online! ^^

Tetsaru
Aug 18, 2009, 05:33 PM
Ohboyee, another new Phantasy Star title... *gets a grain of salt*

I may have missed it while skimming over these posts, but who's DEVELOPING this new game? If it's Sonic Team, then they suck my hairy balls; I refuse to buy another game from them. If not, well... show me some gameplay, some actual structure to the game, and a US release date, and MAYBE I'll get my feet wet.

I'm sorry, but at this point, I can't help but be very skeptical...

Rayokarna
Aug 18, 2009, 06:14 PM
I may have missed it while skimming over these posts, but who's DEVELOPING this new game?

Moaning over something that aint out yet is pointless.

And its probably going to be developed by Alfa Systems.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 18, 2009, 06:17 PM
Its gonna be ST. But for once I'd like them to take a back seat and let the big boys handle this. As a matter of fact, give it to someone who isn't likely to screw things up. But that won't happen. I just hope they have 3% involvement in this game. By 3% I mean just having that blue "C Word" of a mascot in it. For 2 seconds. Thats it. I can understand Tetsaru. I really can. But I believe it will be fun. I just have to treat this like I treat asking a girl out on a date. I go in thinking that it will end in a heartbreaking disaster.

Ash1ey
Aug 18, 2009, 06:34 PM
Well this certainly sounds good, I am excited. Really hope we get an English release of this one!

Lance813
Aug 18, 2009, 07:43 PM
Holy shit, This is slated for early December?

I would rather quality over quantity... :disapprove:

Volcompat321
Aug 18, 2009, 08:57 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]Source: 1up.com (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175625)

Okay, now I'm getting excited. They're adding elements from PSZ and the game is sounding more like a proper sequel with new content.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Awesome, thanks for posting this. Gives us a lot of great info without telling us everything! :D
I'm really excited cause now(well, when it comes out) we can play with over the internet friends! People from across the states can play together! :D
I wonder though, will the US and EU games be able to play with each other?
Probably not, but this is still great!
I guess if I know anyone in Europe I can use the program to switch saves.
This makes me excited because the team working on this might actually give us DLC!

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 18, 2009, 09:24 PM
JESUS! December? Wait...is that the JP release? It's the JP release isn't it? Listen...I'm not good with Japanese. So when is the US release slated? January 2010?

Maelixius
Aug 18, 2009, 09:26 PM
I wonder how infrastructure will work with PS:P2?
Hopefully it's not p2p.

Dragwind
Aug 18, 2009, 09:44 PM
I wonder how infrastructure will work with PS:P2?
Hopefully it's not p2p.

I doubt they'll run a server for free, I'm going to say they'll use a P2P system.

Burnsro
Aug 18, 2009, 09:49 PM
I'M SO EXCITED! I'm going to pick up a PSP and this game once it's localized. Until then we can all play PSzero together! :-D

Blueblur
Aug 18, 2009, 10:51 PM
JESUS! December? Wait...is that the JP release? It's the JP release isn't it? Listen...I'm not good with Japanese. So when is the US release slated? January 2010?
January is too soon. The US version of PSP was released seven months after the Japanese release (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Portable) so I would expect a six or seven month wait at the very least. It's a shame as I want to learn more about it and try it out. I hope it goes against the established PSU and PSP standards and is as unique and different as possible. I'd prefer less filler content (4 cities, a shop for each type of item, field lobbies, etc.) and meatier missions, enemies and bosses ala PSO.

AutumnChronicle
Aug 19, 2009, 01:22 AM
http://kotaku.com/5340367/hey-look-its-phantasy-star-portable-2

Well, despite the sadly long wait for the US version, at least there are some spiffy new stuff to look foward too. No more relying on adhoc !

Maelixius
Aug 19, 2009, 05:24 AM
I doubt they'll run a server for free, I'm going to say they'll use a P2P system.

If it's P2P then I think I prefer to be stuck with Adhoc-mode.:disapprove:

Volcompat321
Aug 19, 2009, 06:25 AM
I don't think they would charge. It would be horribly horrible if they did.
They cant be that desperate for cash.
I would like to think it will be free, the only thing we can do it wait.

Tetsaru
Aug 19, 2009, 07:31 AM
P2P on a HANDHELD game?? Has anyone even DONE that yet!? That's a ludicrous idea. If I'm going to invest into a subscription for a game, it better be on a non-handheld console, and it better be a badass game worthy of such a price... *looks at sig*

Volcompat321
Aug 19, 2009, 07:36 AM
I don't think I'd pay even to try out the infrastructure mode.
I doubt it will cost to play anyway, like you said Tet, not on a hand held game.

panzer_unit
Aug 19, 2009, 09:00 AM
Wow, it's got a new setting and a bunch of new (if "Monster Hunter" inspired) game mechanics... I hope the writing's better if there's going to be double the tl;dr to page through. Still, I'm impressed Sega's this serious about PS:P.

I wish it was coming out sooner though, I'd hate to see this game get squashed under the announcement of something like Monster Hunter Portable 3.

zandra117
Aug 19, 2009, 11:11 AM
Clad 6, the new space colony in PSP2, looks more like a Pioneer type colony than an orbital colony like the GUARDIANS Colony. Are we venturing outside of the Gurhal System?

Volcompat321
Aug 19, 2009, 11:28 AM
So, I was on the official forums talking about PS:P, and I brought up the communication factor in the infrastructure mode.
Will there be voice chat using the built in PSP3000 microphones, and the attachable microphones for the non 3000 models?
I am real curious as to how a party will be able to communicate. Since a PSP is not ideal to use text chat, I hope we will get a Skype-type communication tool in-game.
Espio, or any of the mods that looks into this stuff, can you confirm or deny, any type of communication that we will have or not have when information about it is released?
Please and thank you :D

EDIT: Link to official forum thread I mentioned.
Why didn't they just make a new game? (http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=294222)

Akuno Ayanokoji
Aug 19, 2009, 12:46 PM
It would be truly evil to put infrastructure in this upcoming game and then demand money to actually use it.

It would be like, "Dude, why the hell put infrastructure in at all?"

I'd be interested if they imployed a skype type thing to communicate in-game during multiplayer.

DarK-SuN
Aug 19, 2009, 03:57 PM
Oh... my... God...!
Falz be praised!
This is looking REALLY awesome!!!
I can't wait for more info and pics...!!!

Maelixius
Aug 19, 2009, 05:53 PM
Voice-chat has been confirmed to be implemented in PS:P2 if I'm not mistaken or was it just chat?

On the other hand: Hope the sequel lives to its expectations.

Touka
Aug 19, 2009, 06:09 PM
The jp PSU uploader has larger clearer scans,i'm rather disappointed that the only race that looks good is beast.Human=bishfag Cast=looks way too mecha and Newman=loli :/

DarK-SuN
Aug 19, 2009, 06:46 PM
You do realise those are just pictures of the new story characters that will show up, right?
It won't mean you'll look like that (although you'll most likely be able to look like them, or similar, as well).

Ash1ey
Aug 19, 2009, 07:46 PM
Actually, that last page fo the scans just say "Human" "Cast" "beast" "newman" so we very well may be able to look like that
http://www.psuxxx.info/uploader/src/up2523.jpg

I may be wrong, but they do just say human, cast, etc I know that for sure

Volcompat321
Aug 19, 2009, 08:01 PM
That picture just makes this game look ridiculously awesome. I'm really excited.

Tetsaru
Aug 19, 2009, 08:30 PM
Well, I must say, the character designs from that image are impressive.

And I'm all for making Gundam-like RAcasts. :3

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 19, 2009, 08:40 PM
Are those wings on that guy's pants? What the hell!? Also I'm diggin the male CAST. Very Gundam-ish. I'm not a fan of Gundam but I like it.

Palle
Aug 19, 2009, 08:44 PM
Very Gundam-ish.

I was going to say Accretia-ish, but since most people have only ever heard of Gundam... :-?

My understanding is that Sega has launched a website to announce that they are launching a website on 24 August. Someone will undoubtedly correct me.

EDIT: Burnsro beat me to the Zeta punch.

Ash1ey
Aug 19, 2009, 08:45 PM
You are undoubtably correct :P

Burnsro
Aug 19, 2009, 08:54 PM
Are those wings on that guy's pants? What the hell!?
It's flair! You gotta have lots of flair in the future! :lol:

Man, the designs look much more impressive overall when compared to past PSU titles. Is it a new character designer? I like how it switches from magical girl, to shonen action hero wing boy, to ZOE type mecha, to GAR muscley in yo face beast, to "genki" school girl, to a spear elf that looks like he's from Monster Hunter! Whew. Looks like they have a character type that will please everyone! I've never seen such diversity in an online game. Perhaps someday Phantasy Star will be able to eclipse Monster Hunter in popularity? :D

A pre-launch site? Man, what a tease :(

When it launches it will probably have the same, or less, info then the Famitsu mag did. :-?

MrPOW
Aug 19, 2009, 09:12 PM
Man, the designs look much more impressive overall when compared to past PSU titles. Is it a new character designer?

I think they have new designers period, since in PSP the exclusive weapons were also 10x cooler than the original PSU weapons. I think perhaps it might be artists from Alfa System rather than Sonic Team doing the design work, although that's pure conjecture. While I like PSU, one of my big complaints is that there didn't seem to be nearly as many really cool, iconic weapon designs as there were in PSO. Thus, while we're seeing many PSO weapons show up in PSU, I really doubt we'll see many PSU weapons in the next online PS game. Many of PSP's exclusive weapons, however, instantly made me sit up and say, "Okay, thats cool. I want that." Even the new non S-ranks are badass.

So yeah, just based on the awesome weapon designs from the first PSP, I have been saying ever since that if Alfa System could make another PS game with much more original content we would really see them shine. Well, here we go. I think most of the new content in this game will impress people. I am very, very anxious to see the new areas.

Burnsro
Aug 19, 2009, 09:42 PM
I was going to say Accretia-ish, but since most people have only ever heard of Gundam... :-?

Looks even more like, no EXACTLY like Tekkaman Blade a.k.a. Teknomaaaaan!
http://images.google.com/images?q=tekkaman+blade
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s98/burnsro/TEKKAMANblade75per.jpghttp://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s98/burnsro/TekkamanCAST75per.jpg

yeongene
Aug 20, 2009, 12:02 AM
i saw this on gamefaqs and i thought it was a bit note worthy. :-P

I just saw some more scans from the Famitsu issue and I noticed something that may possibly be included.

If you look at this scan, bottom right, with all the characters gathering.

http://www.psuxxx.info/uploader/src/up2521.jpg

To me it looks much more of a town area, probably the quest guild center where, if you remember in PSO, you would have to go to get quests with parties or yourself. It doesn't look like everyone has a weapon equipped. I'm not sure of this next one, but if you look at the top of it, it looks like the name of a NPC, "Emi" and it looks like you can talk to her.

Just an observation, I could be wrong.

misstigress
Aug 20, 2009, 12:05 AM
Source: 1up.com (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175625)

Words can't describe my excitement over this announcement. (And it takes a LOT for me to say this.)

It looks as if they're incoporating many elements from both PSZ and PSO. I LOVE the new character models, also. The graphics look sleek in contrast to the first Phantasy Star Portable (well, from that minuscule screenshot they do), and I just hope this game meets my expectations.

It sounds as if the difficulty may be more in line with Phantasy Star Zero's difficulty level, which would be absolutely great.

I guess we'll have solid facts to work with once more information is revealed, but I do enjoy speculating, as much as I hate to admit it.

I really, really hope this is true. While this is subjective, I miss having a central gathering lobby in Phantasy Star Portable, and it's part of the reason I like Phantasy Star Zero better -- having a city/lobby at least contributes to the feeling that you are playing a pseudo-MMO and not a level-based game. (All we actually need is one central gathering area that flows in the same vein as Dairon City or the Pioneer Colony; anything else would just be overkill with the exception of a casino maybe.)

yeongene
Aug 20, 2009, 12:15 AM
I really, really hope this is true. While this is subjective, I miss having a central gathering lobby in Phantasy Star Portable, and it's part of the reason I like Phantasy Star Zero better -- it just has more of that "MMO-feel" to it, if you know what I mean.

I don't want a hundred disjointed lobbies that disperse everyone over a bunch of areas -- I just want one central gathering hub so that the the feeling of existing in a multiplayer world is there, rather than the sense that I'm in a level-based game. I tend to derive a sense of isolation from playing the current PSP, which should be remedied if Sega actually incorporates an infrastructure mode/lobby system in PSP2.

i think someone replied back. :-P

Yes there will be lobby actions and lots of new symbols in chat. You can see them on the other famitsu page. It seems you can talk to players in lobbies and dance along side them. :3

misstigress
Aug 20, 2009, 12:45 AM
i think someone replied back. :-P

I found the thread you're talking about (and looked at the screenshots the poster was referencing), and I have to agree that it looks as if this installment will be a full-blown sequel rather than a spin-off with a lack of content. (I'm struggling to retain my usual degree of skepticism here, but it's difficult, I admit. Especially since I did like PSZ quite a bit, and this looks quite similar from what I've seen/read. )

The only problem is the fact that the waiting is going to drive me insane.

Phaesphora
Aug 20, 2009, 12:45 AM

I just saw some more scans from the Famitsu issue and I noticed something that may possibly be included.

If you look at this scan, bottom right, with all the characters gathering.

http://www.psuxxx.info/uploader/src/up2521.jpg

To me it looks much more of a town area, probably the quest guild center where, if you remember in PSO, you would have to go to get quests with parties or yourself. It doesn't look like everyone has a weapon equipped. I'm not sure of this next one, but if you look at the top of it, it looks like the name of a NPC, "Emi" and it looks like you can talk to her.

Just an observation, I could be wrong.
I think 'Emi' is the Romanization for Amy, as the other characters in the screenshots seem to be named Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. I suspect that they are all player-controlled characters, so I'd wager it's just a lobby like in PSU. Never know, though...

/obvious

misstigress
Aug 20, 2009, 12:54 AM
I think 'Emi' is the Romanization for Amy, as the other characters in the screenshots seem to be named Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. I suspect that they are all player-controlled characters, so I'd wager it's just a lobby like in PSU. Never know, though...

/obvious

I have to agree; look at the 1UP.com article (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175625) and notice that the author states the following:

...and fully redone character designs for all of the game's default classes.

As far as the lobbies are concerned, as I stated in an above post, I'm trying to remain skeptical until I have official confirmation of this, but the areas depicted in the pictures certainly looked like lobbies, and I honestly doubt that every player decided to unequip his or her weapon(s) so they could emote while in a mission area. (Well, you can't even emote in the original PSP, but I'm thinking of PSU.) It seems logical to assume that we're looking at a lobby of sorts, but, as I said, I'll just wait (impatiently) for an official statement.

EDIT:

Well, after examining the screenshot again, I can't tell if they're emoting or their animations are related to the chat content contained within the bubbles, but, either way, I think the point still stands since you can't see any equipped weapons in the picture.

Ragol Sinner
Aug 20, 2009, 01:19 AM
im puzzled as to how no one is mentioning the bad part of this- where the F is all those missing download missions for the US version? 10 bucks says they stick it in there as new content. what a bunch of bums, the missions are just sitting there and they wont give them to us to extend our game play, considering there are missions missing already from the console title. why didnt one of thee hackers with their 9999 weapons find a way t pug them into the us versions? yes, wishfull thinking, but damn i would love to see idiot sega's reaction to that one...

so another version is good, yes, but ill be damned if is just a "missing levels we should have had already" game- that would suck monkeys nuts, to say the least

-ed

misstigress
Aug 20, 2009, 01:25 AM

My understanding is that Sega has launched a website to announce that they are launching a website on 24 August. Someone will undoubtedly correct me.

EDIT: Burnsro beat me to the Zeta punch.

I guess I'm not the only person alive who has played RF Online.

yeongene
Aug 20, 2009, 01:37 AM
i think i found out what the 2nd poster was talking about.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2756/up2523.jpg

he said there was something else on the other page, and if you look at the center,

the 2 images on the bottom next to the 4人だけじゃない!those DEFINANTLY look like lobbies, or atleast, somewhere to go outside rather than mission maps. and theres a whole chart of emoticons :-D

and there are 2 arrows pointing to those screens with the word 3D.
maybe they meant 3D "maps" instead of the menu maps we had for PS:P? ^^

EDIT: oh i just found out, the girl in the pink is amy エミー. sorry for stating the obvious.

Dragwind
Aug 20, 2009, 01:52 AM
Yeah that "lobby" looking area reminds of me Holtes: East in PSU / the PSZ lobby combined. I'm hoping that there's some kind of out-of-mission hub when you get a party together.

The picture to the right of it looks like the PSO quest counter to me actually.

WBMike
Aug 20, 2009, 02:36 AM
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/WBRicardo/lobbeh3.png
Dancing cast and beast in 3D City or "lobby".

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/WBRicardo/lobbeh.png
Symbols in chat. This room looks like the PSO teleport down to the surface.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/WBRicardo/lobbyaction.png
Another Lobby like area

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/WBRicardo/city.png
Makes mention of a 3D City, referring to the pictures posted above. It says you can communicate too.

From what I see so far this reminds me of PSO. You get your own little city to run around and chat with and maybe buy some items. So far I have not seen other players in a lobby who have not joined your party. If this is the case, then this "city lobby" will function exactly like Pioneer 2.

darkante
Aug 20, 2009, 04:56 AM
PP under HP bar? I wonder the reason.

Mysterious-G
Aug 20, 2009, 07:24 AM
PP under HP bar? I wonder the reason.

That might indicate that PP will be handled the same way as in PSZ, where they were used for both techniques and photon arts and were linked to your character instead of the weapons themselves.
Seeing how the PP bar also is there in what we guess to be the lobby, in which you do not use any weapons, it seems even more likely.

I am pleased with the monster design I see there. Looks like a giant stone Anubis. :)

.newzero
Aug 20, 2009, 07:47 AM
So now I am waiting for this game to come out. Is somewhat like a character transfer confirmed? If yes I am going to redo my char now :)

It seems that SEGA do not have their hands in this so much. Why else would we get Infrastructure mode? Or they finally listened to their customers.

I hope we can buy this game in the PSN Store. I hate UMDs.

panzer_unit
Aug 20, 2009, 08:54 AM
Ugh the character designs look atrocious except for the beast. I hope they aren't bringing back PSO's "one outfit with palette swaps" clothing selections... otherwise I don't mind the idea re-treading PSO a little.

WBMike
Aug 20, 2009, 11:27 AM
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/WBRicardo/51Emxa6b0L_SS400_.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/WBRicardo/514EYGI7AqL_SS400_.jpg
Dakamazli enemy
A NEW Photon art: Infinite Storm!

panzer_unit
Aug 20, 2009, 11:33 AM
Oh look, the R key cycles between handgun/saber/other thing (probably guard)

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 11:35 AM
Seems with everything being uncovered, it's less likely the character from the first one will be imported.
It's like it's own game, new and unrelated.
I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but it seems the opposite.

WBMike
Aug 20, 2009, 11:41 AM
This page on G-heaven specifically talks about data transfer

http://www.g-heaven.net/pso/topics/090818a.html

Though we don't know what exactly will transfer over.

This site (http://marunao2.blog120.fc2.com/blog-entry-2871.html) talks about how Photon Points are now based on character and not on weapons.

panzer_unit
Aug 20, 2009, 12:13 PM
In PSZ what determines your PP more strongly... Race or Type? Which combos have the most?

WBMike
Aug 20, 2009, 01:53 PM
When I looked at PSZero wiki, Females, Forces, and Newmans generally had more PP.
But the class that ended up with the most PP was the Force Female Human (FOmarl).
In second place was the Force Female Newman (FOnewearl)

MrPOW
Aug 20, 2009, 02:28 PM
I hope there's a demo like there was with the first game.

Blueblur
Aug 20, 2009, 02:33 PM
I'm liking all the changes thus far but I'm disappointed by the appearance of Raffon Fields and that other Neudaiz stage. I hope they don't reuse more stages from PSU/PSP.

Maelixius
Aug 20, 2009, 03:05 PM
Does this mean that beasts could possibly have the legendary black-axes?

Dhylec
Aug 20, 2009, 03:20 PM
This site (http://marunao2.blog120.fc2.com/blog-entry-2871.html) talks about how Photon Points are now based on character and not on weapons.
That's why the PP bar is under the char's HP. It's like TP from PSO now.

DarK-SuN
Aug 20, 2009, 03:22 PM
The data transfer may probably work at 100%, it's likely that PSP2 has what PSP1 has, plus a TON more stuff.
Of course, they're showing the new stuff only since that's what people want to see, not what they already knew the previous game had.

Phaesphora
Aug 20, 2009, 03:34 PM
I must admit I thought that character transfer would be unavailable due to the apparent differences of storyline in these early press releases. Maybe your characters from PSP can become members of Little Wing? Too soon to tell, I suppose...

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 03:40 PM
I wonder since the TP/PP is linked to the character how CAST's will do with magic.
Obviously, everyone knows that in PSO CAST's cant use magic, and I would hope they didn't take it away from CAST's, but I wonder how low the TP/PP will get. :(

WBMike
Aug 20, 2009, 04:02 PM
I wonder since the TP/PP is linked to the character how CAST's will do with magic.
Obviously, everyone knows that in PSO CAST's cant use magic, and I would hope they didn't take it away from CAST's, but I wonder how low the TP/PP will get. :(

Tails has 170 PP
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/WBRicardo/tails.png

Human Male Lv1: 200 PP
Cast Male Lv1: 170 PP
Newman Female Lv:1 250 PP

panzer_unit
Aug 20, 2009, 04:06 PM

If you want some guessing:

Techniques - highest PP cost to use
Firearms - low per-shot PP costs but no free attacks, so amount of PP is important
Melee - moderate per-attack PP cost for PA but free basic attacks

Correspondingly:
Newmans and Force jobs would have the most PP
Humans, Casts, and Ranger jobs would be mid-tier
Beasts and Melee jobs would be lowest
(and then it's a question of which drives PP more, Race or Job)
... maybe that's how we're going to see additional Guardian Types, a more tech-oriented version of Ranger would have lower stats and higher PP.

On the subject of character import I hope that means we'll have all of the old character models or something close (maybe all Beasts will look 'roided out) and the new-look stuff is additional clothes/parts. I don't mind the look of the cut-scene NPC sketches but I'd hate for my human or cast characters to look like the ones they're using as poster-children there.

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 04:08 PM
So, I guess it's not bad at all!
Thanks for pointing that out :D

Phaesphora
Aug 20, 2009, 04:08 PM
It will be interesting to see how the designers walk the tightrope between PSU and PSŲ mechanics, but I'd speculate that CASTs in PSP2 will retain their ability to use Technics, as they will likely retain their bottom-tier TP. It should be noted that regarding PP in PSŲ, sometimes CASTs out-classed Humans.

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 04:18 PM
Really....would never think CAST's are better at technics than humans! lol.
Still, it gives me a reason to play MF on my main file, a female CAST. Mainly GM, but I played all the classes to 10 to get the achievements.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 20, 2009, 04:54 PM
The PP probably goes for Weapons and guns. Quite frankly I'm hoping for NEW areas. Not just 2 new places but 4 new places. I'm sick of Raffon Plains and I'm sick of that effin Mountain area. How about fighting out in a plain of snow? How about some areas with rain? Guess that would be too much to ask. As for Data Importing, watch as US/EU gets shafted on that aspect. I hope to god the music is better. Christ the music is such ear rape.

But on the lighter side of things (someone partially pissed in my cornflakes this mornin) I'm glad they put in more for ranged classes. Here is hoping that bullets cost next to nothing and that the real PP eater is from charged shots. I'm hoping that the female characters get more sophisticated clothing and Oh Ehm Gee, more pants! I know for one thing I ain't wearing that "Wing" outfit. Jesus...what a fashion nightmare. If they took off the wings yes. It would be awesome.

Oh and is it just me or is it everytime I see the M-CAST pic the theme from G Gundam starts blaring in my head?

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 05:00 PM
Haha, I don't know any Gundam theme songs, but that's what I think of when I see it.
I hope they added more male fleshy clothing. I literally hate every male clothing in PSU and PS:P of course.
That's the main reason I play female characters cept my male CAST in PSU, and male Newman in PS:P.
(oh and the PSU character I don't use, he's male)...lol.
Missions would be nice.
I liked that in the first PS:P they added a few new ones, with new monster bosses, but it's not enough.
So far, I have no real complaints with this game, though not enough info has come out to complain about yet :D

DarK-SuN
Aug 20, 2009, 05:17 PM
Not sure if anyone noticed, in this new pic (from amazon.co.jp, brought to my attention by Phantasy Star Fan Blog (http://bumped.org/psublog/)):
http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/de-ragan.png
The sword the player is wielding... is REALLY very similar to PSO's Dragon Slayer... o.O

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 05:26 PM
Isn't the Dragon Slayer (http://psupedia.info/PSP:De_Ragan_Slayer) in PS:P already?
Or do you mean they changed it's looks to make it look like it did in PSO?

DarK-SuN
Aug 20, 2009, 05:50 PM
Isn't the Dragon Slayer (http://psupedia.info/PSP:De_Ragan_Slayer) in PS:P already?
Or do you mean they changed it's looks to make it look like it did in PSO?
They changed it to be more like PSO, because the other is the De Ragan Slayer (the one you linked), different from the Dragon Slayer (the one from PSO).

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 05:51 PM
Yea, I can kinda see that. Think it's a completely "new" weapon, or think they replaced the De Regan Slayer?

Burnsro
Aug 20, 2009, 06:03 PM
Really....would never think CAST's are better at technics than humans! lol.

Well they don't use technics at all in PS0 as far as I know. They use Traps! Old skool!

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 06:08 PM
Thought he meant in PS:P2, I know CAST don't use magic in PSO.

DarK-SuN
Aug 20, 2009, 07:27 PM
Yea, I can kinda see that. Think it's a completely "new" weapon, or think they replaced the De Regan Slayer?
I think it's a completely new weapon, not just a replacement.

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 07:31 PM
Even better then. Old "new" weapons are always a plus!

rise urbanus
Aug 20, 2009, 09:33 PM
and just when i almost lost hope BAM it comes back =D

darkante
Aug 20, 2009, 10:48 PM
Old PSO weapons again? Gib new ffs.

The_Brimada
Aug 22, 2009, 11:45 AM
First PS:P seemed interesting, but not interesting enough for me to buy the system. This one just may make me invest in one :o

Neith
Aug 22, 2009, 04:05 PM
Definitely interested in this; PSP was great but the lack of online play (unless you used a tunneling program) hurt it a lot. If the slowdown can be fixed in PSP2, it'll likely be amazing.

Also, HEL YEH Evil Sharks :wacko:

relentless
Aug 23, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hell yeah! Can't wait to be able to meet up wth some old PSU fellas again. Epic.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 23, 2009, 11:08 AM
The one thing I hope to god is that all of these new clothes don't have wings on em. You can only have so many goddamn wings. I know this group is called *shudder* "Little Wing" but dang yo. We get it! Wings on clothing, apart of "Little Wing"! Now if they were called "Zero Wing" then that would be better.

Omega-R7
Aug 23, 2009, 11:14 AM
but do we have to pay for online play? cuz im not big on that.

Zero Wing = all your base

relentless
Aug 23, 2009, 11:19 AM

Unlikely.

Reminds me of Zero-Sensei.

Kizeragi
Aug 23, 2009, 11:33 AM

Portable games will most likely never have a P2P system, reason being Capcom (Monster Hunter) would have done it already. xD

Topic: Good to see a sequel, PSP1 was good but far too easy sadly. I hope this one brings a bit more challenge, but right now it looks really good, keeping an eye on this, perhaps Ill preorder soon.

Omega-R7
Aug 23, 2009, 11:41 AM
Looks even more like, no EXACTLY like Tekkaman Blade a.k.a. Teknomaaaaan!
http://images.google.com/images?q=tekkaman+blade
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s98/burnsro/TEKKAMANblade75per.jpghttp://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s98/burnsro/TekkamanCAST75per.jpg

if u played xenosaga3 the new cast looks more es asher and es dinah.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/Gon-kun/Analgesic%20Lazarus%20Syndrome/xs2-es-asher2.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/LanValentine/Xenosaga/ESDinahep1.jpg

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 23, 2009, 11:58 AM
Oooh yea! I forgot about them Xenosaga bots. Although not really much of a memorable series to me (Mary Magdeline was KOS-MOS!? The hell?). I can't wait to see the other clothing for Male CASTs. I wonder if there gonna be as Gundam/Xenosaga/Patlabor/Tekkaman inspired? Maybe they'll do something thats inspired by Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor.

Omega-R7
Aug 23, 2009, 12:05 PM
if u look at some the armor in PSU it looks guyverish.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 23, 2009, 12:29 PM
I really didn't pay that much attention to the M CAST shells. But now yea, some of em do. But we need moar!

Kylie
Aug 23, 2009, 04:43 PM
Nice! I wish that some of that stuff will make it onto the PSU servers, but they probably will... much later. Still, this looks great.

Volcompat321
Aug 23, 2009, 05:10 PM
I have probably said this a hundred times, and I know everyone else wants it too, but I really cant wait for this game.
Starting in 2010, there will be a bunch of new awesome, and some remade titles for PSP, and I'm looking forward too all them too!

Hucast-Kireek
Aug 23, 2009, 07:08 PM
One word, does it have online?

Volcompat321
Aug 23, 2009, 07:46 PM
Yes..

relentless
Aug 23, 2009, 11:33 PM
I hope you get owned by Evil Sharks.

landman
Aug 24, 2009, 06:40 AM
Yes, forces will be again the fluid-a-holic they used to be in PSO lol I wonder if this will affect PSU gameplay, where Photon Arts are 95% of melee combat, or if it will just affect the weapon pallet, instead of using lots of weapon to switch when their PP is dried we will just have the minimum choices possible.

Now race in class will also affect the Photon Art usage, newman will have more PP and CASTs will have the lowest :P

RemiusTA
Aug 24, 2009, 08:46 AM
Wow. Just wow.

Ive been saying for the longest, "When PSU gets the update equilivent that was PSO Ep1&2 to PSO DC, then we're in business." But then what happens? Those bastards at Sega ditch the paying CONSOLE userbase and make the newest expansion for the frigging PSP. There are enough changes coming with this version that the console versions would require a rather impressive title update, possibly an entire new disc from all the engine changes.

Everything looks more impressive on this version. But i'd need to see it in motion to judge just how different it is. Safe to say though, just because PSP sold like gold doesnt mean they can be dirty bastards and just ditch the subscribers. THATS just bullshit.

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 08:55 AM
Wow. Just wow.

Ive been saying for the longest, "When PSU gets the update equilivent that was PSO Ep1&2 to PSO DC, then we're in business." But then what happens? Those bastards at Sega ditch the paying CONSOLE userbase and make the newest expansion for the frigging PSP. There are enough changes coming with this version that the console versions would require a rather impressive title update, possibly an entire new disc from all the engine changes.

Everything looks more impressive on this version. But i'd need to see it in motion to judge just how different it is. Safe to say though, just because PSP sold like gold doesnt mean they can be dirty bastards and just ditch the subscribers. THATS just bullshit.

That's sega for you. And I bet even with PSP2 we won't get DLC like japan does... so unfair :(

Blueblur
Aug 24, 2009, 11:46 AM
What do you expect, Remius? PSU's nearly a 3 year old game and Sega hasn't been making new content for that audience; they've been slowly unlocking content that was made ages ago. They've probably made more money with their portable games because that's where the vast majority of the RPG audience is now. Blame Capcom and their Monster Hunter series for starting that trend but don't be so shocked when you see a competitor follow suit.

Personally, I couldn't be happier that we're getting Phantasy Star Portable 2 and not Phantasy Star Universe 2. Sega is incapable of producing an online console game that doesn't rip off it's consumers by locking away all the content to give off the illusion of it all being new. But hey, maybe we'll see another online Phantasy Star game on a console in the future. If Monster Hunter 3 is a success outside of Japan I'm sure Sega will want to produce something to compete with Capcom.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 24, 2009, 12:10 PM
I'm sure PSP2 won't get DLC for the western audiences. I've come to a vicious conclusion about SEGA. They should just stick with making rail shooters like House of the Dead. They are highly incapable of making a decent MMORPG and Sonic game. Either kill Sonic off or sell him to Nintendo.

Oh and is it just me or is Yuto doing some Megaman 2 master robot pose? As for Yuto he could be a mix of Beast and Newman. After all inter-species relationships aren't that uncommon in the PSU world. There are NPC that claim to be a mix of beast and newman. Hell I think i remember something about romantic relationships between humans and CASTs.

Mysterious-G
Aug 24, 2009, 12:17 PM
Hell I think i remember something about romantic relationships between humans and CASTs.

Hatless Lou and Ethan never became a couple.

Akaimizu
Aug 24, 2009, 12:21 PM
Actually, I really liked Sonic Unleashed. I think it showed the capability was there; just that they don't always keep focus (from game to game).

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 24, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hatless Lou and Ethan never became a couple.

G thats not what I'm talkin about. I'm not talkin about the Major Characters I'm talkin about the npcs. Of course there is not relationship between Ethan and Lou. Unless you've been reading some questionable material.

Mysterious-G
Aug 24, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hatless Lou indeed likes Ethan, though.
And of course I know what you are talking about, dummy. :)
The last questionable material I did read was Harry Potter, probably.

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 01:14 PM
It sucks so hard that no matter how much we plead for DLC for this game we know that deep down SEGA hates Americans and therefore will not give it to us.

SubstanceD
Aug 24, 2009, 03:09 PM
I am currently playing through PSP right now and I now reminded of one of my little pet hates about that game. I hate the fact that the only way to change your character TYPE is through the Storymode. I hope Sega fixes this for PSP2.

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 03:14 PM
I also hope that they add incapacitate status back on to megid.. that made things more fun. (I saw this a few threads down, it reminded me :P).

I know they won't do this because its a PSU style game, but wouldn't it be great if they added old school mags back into the game? not Tech mags or ranger mags that do shoot and act as an off hand want.... I mean like the mags that give you stat boosts for wearing them, and have a chance to "proc" certain abilities. That would be real cool.

I know it probably can't happen though until they come out with a Newer PS game.

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 03:18 PM
I jumped on the PSO bandwagon long after the awesomeness died down a bit, but one of my favorite features of PSO was Mags.
I loved the work they took to get awesome. :D

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 03:29 PM
I jumped on the PSO bandwagon long after the awesomeness died down a bit, but one of my favorite features of PSO was Mags.
I loved the work they took to get awesome. :D

Honestly, mags are one of the reasons to play PSOBB instead of PSU. Its only one type of item in the game but at the same time its awesome. If they would just mix certain things from each of them it would be phenomenal :P Honestly if PSOBB had Photon Arts, Bullets, and more Missions/Content to play I would be in heaven.

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 03:49 PM
Yea, I recently made a Pushan in BB, and I love it!
My little techer Sieno is happy! :D
Thing is pretty good too. I leveled it to 200, and now I can equip so much more.

landman
Aug 24, 2009, 03:56 PM
MAGs are a handicap, you make a second character and give him your first character MAG and you have a semi-god of lvl 1. It's not much different in PSU with leveled Photon Arts, but they cap at 20 in basic types. I'm glad PSŲ MAGs are not as overpowered as they are in PSO, specially the fact that the MST stat does not affect your total PP. Also weapon usage is based on your level, not your stats.

Oh, and I did enjoy Unleashed too.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 24, 2009, 05:38 PM
Oh god MAGs! I used to stare and memorize the feeding charts just so I could get a Sonichi or the other cool MAGs. Especially the Shato. Kitty of Doom goes "MEW".

Zimbabwe
Aug 25, 2009, 04:13 PM
Can anyone here say Keyboard peripheral?

By the by I hav been lurkin thru these forumz for a while so thought why not become a part of them?
I'm really here becayse of all this PSP2 hype. ^^

Mike
Aug 25, 2009, 10:22 PM
Can anyone here say Keyboard peripheral?

Not likely.

Zimbabwe
Aug 26, 2009, 05:33 PM
Not likely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Qs46tJi6A

Your right. But we both know it would be bawls awesome if they did that. @_@

Hopefully, there will be other ways of communicating in the game. Like maybe a faster on screen keyboard that works well with the PSP's input. Rather than the same on-screen keyboard from PSU and PSO. :nerd:

Mike
Aug 26, 2009, 06:52 PM
We do have the screenshot of the on-screen keyboard though it doesn't look nearly as "simple" as the official website says it is. A mini-portable keyboard would be awesome but won't happen.

To be honest, I'll be happy with whatever comes as it is better than nothing.
Don't make me eat these words Sega!

Volcompat321
Aug 26, 2009, 07:15 PM
Could have some sort of USB (but the PSP end) keyboard.
That would be cool, and possible.

Zimbabwe
Aug 26, 2009, 07:35 PM
We do have the screenshot of the on-screen keyboard though it doesn't look nearly as "simple" as the official website says it is. A mini-portable keyboard would be awesome but won't happen.

To be honest, I'll be happy with whatever comes as it is better than nothing.
Don't make me eat these words Sega!

Agreed. That keyboard IS better than nothing. I'm no good with it. But I've actually had pretty long active text conversations with people on PSU without actually knowing or noticing that the person I was talking to was using the on-screen keyboard.
I'm no good at it, but I know some people that are actually really fast with it.

Mike
Aug 26, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'm sure we'll see a fair amount of those kind of people in PSP2 as well :)

Hucast-Kireek
Aug 26, 2009, 09:13 PM
Yes..

YES!!

Zimbabwe
Aug 26, 2009, 09:23 PM
I should start practicing. lol

Volcompat321
Aug 26, 2009, 10:22 PM
What I'd like to know is, did SEGA implement the TECH nerf, like they did in PSU?
I'd hate that. I'm sure a PSP can handle the awesome of TECHs.

Yusaku_Kudou
Aug 27, 2009, 11:14 AM
This game is so much win... I am more excited for this than Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy XIII (and XIV), and every other game combined!! When I saw the screens for it yesterday I came, got pregnant, and popped a baby out all within 10 minutes. The baby being my PSP of course. I hate playing Phantasy Star in English anyway, so this is a definite import just like the first one for me.

Volcompat321
Aug 27, 2009, 11:31 AM
Yea, 100% I'll be importing.
My RL friends will be too, so I'll have people to play with.
Most likely we will try the infrastructure mode, but we will probably stick to the ad-hoc for a while.
None of us can read JP.
I think the only time we will really play infrastructure is when we are at home and want to play the game with each other.

Yusaku_Kudou
Aug 27, 2009, 12:21 PM
Oh, well I can read JP, so that won't be a problem for me playing infrastructure lol. I actually don't know anybody to play ad-hoc with :sad: I live in NYC and I suppose the most sad thing about all this is that I still don't know any gamers here lol. Well... not personally. Most guys just stare at me whenever I go to a video game store, the arcade, or see me playing my PSP in public. One guy was really nice and taught me a few things on the Street Fighter IV arcade machine in Chinatown Fair though. Yay! Ahh, love geeking out to Rock Band/Guitar Hero in public (esp the one on 34th St across the street from the mall) and playing guitar on expert in front of everybody. :p

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 27, 2009, 12:28 PM
Oh, well I can read JP, so that won't be a problem for me playing infrastructure lol. I actually don't know anybody to play ad-hoc with :sad: I live in NYC and I suppose the most sad thing about all this is that I still don't know any gamers here lol.

For serious? I woulda thought the opposite! Well keep trying. I'm sure you'll find someone who has imported version of PSP2. Wait...when was it coming out again? December? I'm guessing the english version will come out March 2010. Enough time to enjoy before World War 3! YAAAAAAAAAY!

Volcompat321
Aug 27, 2009, 11:15 PM
Oh, well I can read JP, so that won't be a problem for me playing infrastructure lol. I actually don't know anybody to play ad-hoc with :sad: I live in NYC and I suppose the most sad thing about all this is that I still don't know any gamers here lol. Well... not personally. Most guys just stare at me whenever I go to a video game store, the arcade, or see me playing my PSP in public. One guy was really nice and taught me a few things on the Street Fighter IV arcade machine in Chinatown Fair though. Yay! Ahh, love geeking out to Rock Band/Guitar Hero in public (esp the one on 34th St across the street from the mall) and playing guitar on expert in front of everybody. :p

I'm actually surprised it's hard to find some gamer friends in NYC.
Although if your a girl (seems to be the case...obviously :D) then I can see where it's hard to meet people that don't stare at you.

I found my gamer friends at school. I was a "skater" dood, and wasn't into gaming much and always hung out with the "misfits" of school.
I didn't really get into gaming til I was about 17.

Either way, you'd be surprised how many gamer girls are out there, you just have to look.
Plus, NYC is so huge I'm sure if you do a little looking you will find non creepy people.
I know down here at a Books-a-million, all the gamer nerd boys hang out there every Saturday, so if your really desperate, go to a book store!
(our Books-a-million down here is next to a Chinese buffet, and we all know how much little game nerds love Asians) :p

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 28, 2009, 12:23 AM
Ya know what? The costume designs really do look like somethin out of .hack//GU. I mean I was watching the OP and the part with the "character creation" the third form before the fugly ass meatbag we all know as "Sample Human".And before I spaz like something out of a GMod parody movie I'm gonna say I can't wait till Q2 of 2010. Because I know thats when its gonna come out. I mean....honestly, it took the first one to be translated 7-8 months right? BTW isn't that Lumia in 1:50? of the vid?

DreXxiN
Aug 28, 2009, 05:15 AM
Can anyone confirm yet if there's going to be actual jumping? I read back to page 25, and I didn't see much proof, but I saw it mentioned. I know there's that minigame, but aside from that.

landman
Aug 28, 2009, 05:36 AM
Even if it was just some little "pet" that followed you, and didn't effect the stats of a character, it would be awesome.
I have your answer here: http://psupedia.info/Partner_machine

Wow no rechargers will be available, this is a HUGE change in gameplay lol

.newzero
Aug 28, 2009, 07:10 AM
Well this game looks like a whole new game with these huge gameplay changes. And as it seems SONIC TEAM does not work on this title nothing can go extremely wrong the way they did with the first release of PSU (mentioning PSO2 in the first trailer really did hurt the reputation of PSU back then).

Volcompat321
Aug 28, 2009, 10:34 AM
I have your answer here: http://psupedia.info/Partner_machine

Wow no rechargers will be available, this is a HUGE change in gameplay lol

That's what it was in PSU...
I'm talking about a "pet" that follows you in battle above your character, not a partner machine lol.
I leveled mine in PSU, but they were always retards, and rarely helped you.
I'm talking about like something like Pokemon Yellow or something, where you have the little yellow guy follow you around, but he really doesn't effect you.
Unless they really amp up the PM's, I wont be leveling mine.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 28, 2009, 11:30 AM
Ooooh PMs! I wonder how thats gonna be handled? Maybe we won't get em in this version or maybe we will but they will be different? Will they be super effective or will they still fill the roll of "Cannon Fodder"? Will they look different or will they be headcrab zombie? Will Louis kick his pill addiction? Can Francis be a better man and NOT hate every goddamn thing?

landman
Aug 28, 2009, 11:38 AM
My PSU Partner Machines have healed me thousand more times than my PSO/PSŲ Mags, and for me a PM is a pet lol

About PM in PSP2... we are not Guardians, so we may not have our PM back D:

.newzero
Aug 28, 2009, 01:48 PM
Will they look different or will they be headcrab zombie? Will Louis kick his pill addiction? Can Francis be a better man and NOT hate every goddamn thing?

Wrong games. And Francis does not hate Vests ;) but it's the only thing he does not hate.

ONTOPIC:

I think for Force Classes we get a compensation as in having way more PP and a faster regeneration rate. Maybe be also get something similiar to Photon Charge.

Ami
Sep 11, 2009, 09:52 PM
Oh my god, this is win. I literally jumped around my house seeing this. I can not wait. I must get a PSP first D:

Anyway, I'm hoping for the NPCs to make an appearance. But mainly because I want to see more Hyuga ( ~ .^)y