PDA

View Full Version : Batman: Arkham Asylum

AC9breaker
Aug 8, 2009, 10:16 AM
So the demo is finally up on PSN and XBL, I believe it dropped this Thursday? Anyway, game is hella tight! I've been eagerly following this game since they first revealed it as it seemed to me that it would be quite a game. The demo most certainly cemented my expectations. I urge all of you now to get on and give it a whirl. I'm speculating that this game will be to the Batman line of videogames, what The Dark Knight and Batman Begins was to the movie franchises.

/Que Kanye West Amazing.

Vitamin_D
Aug 9, 2009, 02:43 PM
Damn no love for Batman? I'll chime in then. I've been impressed by the demo as well, and I can't wait to pick up the game when it releases. It's pretty much the Batman game fans have wanted to play for years. Also, really, if you were a fan of the Batman Animated Series from the 90's, you'll HAVE to at least give it a look for the voicework alone. It's cool to hear that the voice actors, Mark Hamill in particular, still got it. Check the demo out, NOWZ.

OrangeTippedGun
Aug 9, 2009, 02:55 PM
The game has Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill doing the voice overs.
Why should anyone not buy this game?

TheOneHero
Aug 9, 2009, 03:32 PM
The game has Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill doing the voice overs.
Why should anyone not buy this game?

Absolutely, those guys made the animated series bloody amazing! :D

Rubius-sama
Aug 9, 2009, 04:21 PM
I'll be getting this game :D

goldbrease
Aug 9, 2009, 05:58 PM
I'm contemplating getting the collector's edition, its big price thou.... and you get a baterang.... gah!

Outrider
Aug 9, 2009, 10:39 PM
The demo is like five minutes of gameplay.

I mean, it plays great, it sounds great and it's gorgeous, but... I just don't feel like the demo has given me a good idea of what the game is going to be like in the long term.

Still, I didn't care about the game before, and I enjoyed the demo, so that was a surprise.

Jaspaller
Aug 9, 2009, 10:45 PM
Glad to see that Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill are back in.

As for the demo, I thought it was alright... I'll definitely rent it when it comes out.

Firocket1690
Aug 10, 2009, 03:15 AM
I'm not too sure I trust the opinion of one who calls a new release hella tight!

That said, I've seen it, and it does look promising. Pretty sure it's also a PC game, too.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 10, 2009, 05:27 PM
You have to remember, there's WAY more things to do. The demo was only showing the brawler part of the game, with no sneakiness. Pretty cool takeouts though. :wacko:

I'll definitely give this a try. The voicework was great.

Split
Aug 10, 2009, 10:00 PM
with no sneakiness.Did you play the demo?

Nitro Vordex
Aug 11, 2009, 09:16 AM
Did you play the demo?
Derp.

The demo I played only consisted of taking out waves of enemies in challenges.

Then again, Best Buy demo lawl.

OrangeTippedGun
Aug 11, 2009, 07:36 PM
I played like 3 mins of the demo. I wasn't too impressed and the way joker broke free was just so stupid.
I want to like this game and I admit I gave it like no time. I'm sure the gameplay and story get a whole lot deeper. I just need to play the demo when I'm on my Xbox again.

Anduril
Aug 11, 2009, 07:40 PM
I played the demo, and from what I got through I must say that this might end up being one of the best Batman games I've played.

amtalx
Aug 11, 2009, 09:18 PM
I dug it. I like the stealth sections. Had an 'acrobatic' MGS feel too it...with more knuckle sandwiches.

Calsetes
Aug 12, 2009, 12:35 PM
The demo is like five minutes of gameplay.

I mean, it plays great, it sounds great and it's gorgeous, but... I just don't feel like the demo has given me a good idea of what the game is going to be like in the long term.

Still, I didn't care about the game before, and I enjoyed the demo, so that was a surprise.

I have to agree with this guy - demos nowadays are 10 minutes of gameplay and give you an interactive menu, maybe a video of what the game would be like if you could ACTUALLY play it, but that's it. I'll just wait and rent it and see if I like it then. Looks interesting, but I dunno...

goldbrease
Aug 12, 2009, 10:36 PM
sp3 users will get a bonus with the game, a batcave apartment in home.

amtalx
Aug 13, 2009, 12:11 AM
Home... lulz

Calsetes
Aug 13, 2009, 09:18 AM
sp3 users will get a bonus with the game, a batcave apartment in home.

That'll be awesome for the 10 people who use Home. They can have something to brag about to the 3 housewives, 1 ten-year-old kid, and 5 other random people who play Home.

AC9breaker
Aug 13, 2009, 07:48 PM
It's funny, now that I've been giving my PS3 more attention, I find myself getting on Home, then I remember how bad that shit is and delete everything. I guess It's like a chocolate covered raisin. In your mind you think you can like it; but then you remember how ass it is, and end up spitting it out.

Mighty Earth Sage
Aug 13, 2009, 08:38 PM
I loved the demo, it had kind of a Metal Gear Solid feel to it.

I can't wait for this game.

goldbrease
Aug 14, 2009, 01:12 AM
That'll be awesome for the 10 people who use Home. They can have something to brag about to the 3 housewives, 1 ten-year-old kid, and 5 other random people who play Home.

considering that any home lobby with a playable game, espeshily if it has item rewards you can obtain, is usually packed with people standing next to the begin game stations smashing there x button for hours trying to get into a bowling game or a ufo game, or a arcade machine game. that comment was way off. only thing is chat is messed up in home, you would think they would make a server system so the games are not so crowded, but no, ive got to smash x to try getting into a game that opens up once every 5 minutes, and compete against 50 people trying to get into it.

Calsetes
Aug 14, 2009, 08:01 AM
considering that any home lobby with a playable game, espeshily if it has item rewards you can obtain, is usually packed with people standing next to the begin game stations smashing there x button for hours trying to get into a bowling game or a ufo game, or a arcade machine game. that comment was way off. only thing is chat is messed up in home, you would think they would make a server system so the games are not so crowded, but no, ive got to smash x to try getting into a game that opens up once every 5 minutes, and compete against 50 people trying to get into it.

I just usually go play a game I actually own, where I compete against myself to see how fast I can throw the disc in the console and load it up.

I got it down to .135 seconds so far.

Outrider
Aug 14, 2009, 10:07 AM

So basically Home is awesome because people are stupid enough to spend hours trying to play a crappy game they have to get in line for?

Wow, that sounds... wonderful.

Anybody who has used Home has no question as to why Home is widely considered one of the biggest failings of the Playstation 3.

AC9breaker
Sep 1, 2009, 02:20 PM
So just wanted to give an update. I got the Special edition. (30 extra bucks for bullshit) Can't even throw the baterang, it's like permanently attached to the stand. Anyway, game is solid. It's like they took some of the best gaming design concepts and threw them all together. At times game feels like a Metroid game, other times MGS, and other times, Assassin's Creed. Solid game with a lot of game for your buck. There's a lot to do. Only complaints I have are, Stiff facial animations, and some silly plot points but it's a game based on a comicbook icon so it's easy to overlook those.

All in all, I feel it's a solid game and at the very least a Solid buy. I give this game 4 and a half Baterangs out of 5. Get it!

D~ONE
Sep 1, 2009, 02:39 PM
I have really been on the bubble with this game it's like i want it but im not a big fan oh batman at all and i heard that this game was really short like in the 9ish hour range =( all of the gaming sites are giving it a great review 9/10 4.5/5 93 etc but then again they gave Madden2010 great reviews and i just dont see it that way.

D~ONE
Sep 1, 2009, 02:43 PM
So basically Home is awesome because people are stupid enough to spend hours trying to play a crappy game they have to get in line for?

Wow, that sounds... wonderful.

Anybody who has used Home has no question as to why Home is widely considered one of the biggest failings of the Playstation 3.

home is awesome because it's fun and original if you have friends that perticipate in home as well.

amtalx
Sep 1, 2009, 02:45 PM
Well, a majority of single player games are within 8-12 hours. Its still a great game. Finished my play through on hard last night. It was a little annoying that Poison Ivy and the party were tough and then I crushed Joker though.

EDIT: Umm...what?! Home fails on every front. Seriously. What stays in Beta for almost a year with no sign of ever being final? An application that is so bad that they need to keep the 'Beta' label on it so they have an excuse for it to suck.

D~ONE
Sep 1, 2009, 02:47 PM
hmmm yea i think that im going to pick it up.

Outrider
Sep 1, 2009, 04:10 PM
What stays in Beta for almost a year with no sign of ever being final? An application that is so bad that they need to keep the 'Beta' label on it so they have an excuse for it to suck.

And Google products; though, I guess some people might include them in that category.

AC9breaker
Sep 2, 2009, 08:17 AM
Well, while the main game is 8-12 hours long the game still has the challenge rooms which are a blast to play to try and beat your score and rank up on the leaderboards. Besides I personally don't like games that overstay their welcome.

D~ONE
Sep 2, 2009, 11:39 AM
And Google products; though, I guess some people might include them in that category.

Yes google themselves is always quick to remind everyone that they are in beta and sony has chosen to do the same because home is always changing therefore it can never be complete, as the completion of something indicates it's in it's final product form which home is not.

Shadowpawn
Sep 2, 2009, 11:41 AM

I remember when Gmail was in beta for two years.

D~ONE
Sep 2, 2009, 12:11 PM
Well i bought it but i havent opened it yet im debating on rather or not i should just return it and wait for NBA2k10 & tekken 6.

Outrider
Sep 2, 2009, 12:31 PM
Well i bought it but i havent opened it yet im debating on rather or not i should just return it and wait for NBA2k10 & tekken 6.

I can't see in any way how somebody would rather have NBA2K10 or Tekken 6 over anything else, especially not when they already have something as critically-acclaimed as Batman in their possession.

amtalx
Sep 2, 2009, 12:48 PM
Tekken 6 is pretty slick, but I wouldn't have the patience to last that long. :p

D~ONE
Sep 2, 2009, 05:59 PM
I can't see in any way how somebody would rather have NBA2K10 or Tekken 6 over anything else, especially not when they already have something as critically-acclaimed as Batman in their possession.

Well contrary to popular belief everyone is not a batman fan, personally to me batman as a superhero sucks actually he isnt even a superhero he is just a hero....however the reviews are good so it got my attention its kinda hard to get a unbiased opinion on the game becaue most people are batman fans.

I know if im not a fan why buy it???? it's simpl.,e im a gamer and i do not pass up on a good game if it's actually that good and not fan hype.

amtalx
Sep 2, 2009, 07:05 PM
Well, take it from me. Arkham Asylum is good...and I LOATHE Batman. The only superhero that I hate more than Batman is Superman.

D~ONE
Sep 3, 2009, 12:21 AM
Well i might give it a shot hopefully it lives up to all of the hype. Maybe i'll just start off playing on the hardest difficulty so that it takes me longer to finish.

Shattered_weasel
Sep 3, 2009, 08:58 AM
The only superhero that I hate more than Batman is Superman.

:( :(

amtalx
Sep 3, 2009, 09:32 AM
The only thing more boring than a superhero with no super powers is a superhero who's only weakness is a rock from another f*cking planet. I prefer more...accessible superheroes like Spiderman. He has a decent amount of power, but nothing insurmountable, and has everyday problems like paying the rent and a busy social life. .

Outrider
Sep 3, 2009, 09:45 AM
The only thing more boring than a superhero with no super powers is a superhero who's only weakness is a rock from another f*cking planet.

Or magic. (Superman hates magic.)

Or, more recently, pretty much anything that's strong enough can hurt him.

Still, I do prefer Spider-Man over Superman, but I figured, "what the heck, it's the internet, let's shake up the conversation."

Shattered_weasel
Sep 3, 2009, 10:27 AM
The only thing more boring than a superhero with no super powers is a superhero who's only weakness is a rock from another f*cking planet. I prefer more...accessible superheroes like Spiderman. He has a decent amount of power, but nothing insurmountable, and has everyday problems like paying the rent and a busy social life. .

1. You too have a weakness to a rock. Ask the Curies.

2. I call bullshit on Spider-man. Just because he pays rent and has a busy social life (I don't even know what to say to this) doesn't mean he is any less accessible than Superman or hell Batman. I don't see any one wanking it to Luke Cage (Unless you're Nick Cage).

amtalx
Sep 3, 2009, 12:18 PM
Well, let's be clear here. I am not a huge comic fan so its not like I've researched anything. I have no idea where Superman's (or Batman's for that matter) story has been taken in many years. Superman just holds too much of that "quintessential American hero" for me. Its too wholesome and predictable. Comics aside, I just like my characters to be a little more flawed.

Batman as a character isn't so bad. His origin is somewhat interesting, but the villains all just seem like silly caricatures. Arkham Asylum has a lot of bios and back story on Batman's various enemies and some of them are downright stupid. Calendar man? WTF guys.

Shattered_weasel
Sep 3, 2009, 03:42 PM
"quintessential American hero"

Captain Mother-fucking America

Batman as a character isn't so bad. His origin is somewhat interesting, but the villains all just seem like silly caricatures. Arkham Asylum has a lot of bios and back story on Batman's various enemies and some of them are downright stupid. Calendar man? WTF guys.

Bah! Everyone has their weird villains. Spider-man has Slyde, Squid, and Stilt-man. It's what you do with them is what makes them great. Calender Man is in one of the most renowned Batman stories (Long Halloween) as a Hannibal-esque character that is pissed someone is taking his theme.

amtalx
Sep 3, 2009, 04:03 PM
I have to say I immediately dismissed Captain American specifically because it was dripping with moral high-ground and patriotic BS. I at least entertained the concept of Superman because it didn't have such an overt agenda. I'm sure if I had read any Captain America I would have been disgusted, far more than with Superman. I just don't have the personal experience to justify it.

AC9breaker
Sep 3, 2009, 04:31 PM
What about Iron Man and his Capitalist Spirit? Isn't he more American then Captain America and Super-Man combined? I thought He sided with America in the Civil War too?

Shattered_weasel
Sep 3, 2009, 11:07 PM
I have to say I immediately dismissed Captain American specifically because it was dripping with moral high-ground and patriotic BS. I at least entertained the concept of Superman because it didn't have such an overt agenda. I'm sure if I had read any Captain America I would have been disgusted, far more than with Superman. I just don't have the personal experience to justify it.

That's the problem most people think about Captain America. They think just because he wears the Red, White and Blue he is a staunch "Do what the government wants" man. Which is far from the truth.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa14/muffinius/amen.jpg
(Sorry big pic)

His speech to Spider-man after he defunct from Iron Man's side in the Civil War (Which is a good example of where Cap is against the government). This was then proceeded with Spider-man saying "Can I carry your books to school...forever".

amtalx
Sep 4, 2009, 08:57 AM
Its good that he's shed the BS roots that he was created under. Its just really hard for me to get past a character that was basically created as a pro-America icon for WWII.

watashiwa
Sep 4, 2009, 12:51 PM
http://www.vengefulsoda.com/cap01.gif
http://www.vengefulsoda.com/cap02.gif
http://www.vengefulsoda.com/cap03.gif
http://www.vengefulsoda.com/cap04.gif
http://www.vengefulsoda.com/cap05.gif

Shattered_weasel
Sep 4, 2009, 12:56 PM
We all know the reason they didn't go after Thanos. It's because he's fucking Thanos.

D~ONE
Sep 4, 2009, 08:47 PM
OK i think that i am going to go ahead and open this game since 2k10, svr2010 and tekken6 all come out next month.

SubstanceD
Sep 7, 2009, 02:25 PM
I got this game last week. I haven't gotten very far in it ( not that much spare time ) but so far I think it is awesome.

Rocksteady have obviously put a lot of effort into it. The graphics are amazing and the I love the voice work ( I was a massive fan of the Batman cartoon shows so it is nice to hear the familiar voices again ).

Combat is awesome, Batman is so fast and fluid and he has so many moves at his disposal ( not bad for 1 attack button, a counter button and cape stun button ), games like Assasins Creed and Fable have tried 1 attack button thing and they have had varying degrees of success but I am not going to be able to play those games again now that I have played Arkam Asylum, combat in those games now feels very poor. In the beginning I just kept spamming the attack button and occassionaly using the counter button but I have now reached the stage in the game where more thought has to be put into how enemies are taken down since most now carry weapons and have to be stunned first and it is not uncommon to hav eto deal with large groups, I find myself waiting and countering more often now.

Likewise all the stealth portions that I have played so far have been very well done which is more than I can say about most games that try to incorporate stealth sections into the gameplay.

Well, let's be clear here. I am not a huge comic fan so its not like I've researched anything. I have no idea where Superman's (or Batman's for that matter) story has been taken in many years. Superman just holds too much of that "quintessential American hero" for me. Its too wholesome and predictable. Comics aside, I just like my characters to be a little more flawed.

I have always loved Batman, I have always considered him to be 1 of the better ( if not the best ) comic book personalities/heroes. As for his various enemies, well up untill recently I never really thought much of them. The Joker, The Riddler, The Penguin, what's so threatning about these guys, they have no powers, they look silly and well to be perfectly honest, thier gimmicks are a bit "Camp". Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight" movie has helped me re-evaluate the way I think of the Joker, it wasn't untill I saw that film that I got why the Joker is Batman's main adversary, now I can't think of a better foe. He's smart, possibly insane and has no problem commiting mass murder and yet he doesn't want anything tangible, not fame, not money, not power, he just wants chaos and anarchy. How do you stop someone who wants nothing in particular and has no qualms about striking anywhere or anyone.

As for the rest of them, it helps if you bear in mind that thye are just as insane as the Joker and it also helps if you remember that most have commited murder and and would/could easily do so again. Arkam Asylum does a good job of this.

Captain Mother-fucking America

Bah! Everyone has their weird villains. Spider-man has Slyde, Squid, and Stilt-man. It's what you do with them is what makes them great. Calender Man is in one of the most renowned Batman stories (Long Halloween) as a Hannibal-esque character that is pissed someone is taking his theme.

Never liked Captain America not that I ever gave him a chance, like most people I assumed he was some perfect goody two shoes and a walking propagander machine for American patriotism, that was untill I read Mark Miller's ( the writer of the Wanted graphic novel that got turned into a sub standard film ) take in the Ultimates. When done right he can be very interesting and very dark in his own right. As for the normal captain America, all I know about him is what happened in Civil War. according to most, the death of Steve Rogers has been to best thing to ever happen to the Captain America comic, long live Bucky, the best Captain America ever.

Shattered_weasel
Sep 7, 2009, 02:43 PM
Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight" movie has helped me re-evaluate the way I think of the Joker, it wasn't untill I saw that film that I got why the Joker is Batman's main adversary, now I can't think of a better foe. He's smart, possibly insane and has no problem commiting mass murder and yet he doesn't want anything tangible, not fame, not money, not power, he just wants chaos and anarchy. How do you stop someone who wants nothing in particular and has no qualms about striking anywhere or anyone.

That's why I never cared for hobo geisha joker. If you want chaos you go for Zsasz. If you want Anarchy you get you some Anarky. If you want a villain that finds the humor in killing things you go for the Joker.