PDA

View Full Version : I Need help installing a HDD

D~ONE
Aug 9, 2009, 01:43 AM
Hello everyone I was just wondering if their was anyone knowledgeable enough to help me resolve a HDD issue I need to retrieve information of a ide HDD I have connected everything properly and originally it was showing up without any issues however now my drive has disappeared I got it to reappear earlier but while transfering i left and apparently so did the drive again.

I checked my bios and the drive is being detected its showing up as the PATA master drive which is what it should be so now i am just confused any and all help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

goldbrease
Aug 9, 2009, 01:46 AM
hmm, could be a loose conector, virus masking the drive as not there, problem inside the drive, bad cables, bad conectors, water, drive died, power flux damage.

but i don't really know and i don't have teh skills or tools to be able to tell you really.

Apone
Aug 9, 2009, 02:29 AM
Was the original IDE drive the old C drive? maybe you need to change the name of the drive ? Its probably a conflict with an existing drive

D~ONE
Aug 9, 2009, 06:41 PM
Thank you both and yes it was originally the C drive however when it was working properly it showed up as the J drive which is also what it shows as when I do a check disc.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 10, 2009, 10:21 PM
More likely than not one of your disks is set incorrectly to be either a Master or a Slave drive. Check the jumper settings for both hard drives to see if this is the case. You should either leave both on cable select, and/or set your Windows drive to be Master and your secondary drive to be slave.

Also try to connect the disk you're having problems with to a secondary IDE channel (look for another connector on the motherboard of your computer that looks exactly like the one you're using, it should be right next to the first one). If you connect it to a secondary IDE channel so that the drive is by itself, you will need to set the drive to either Cable Select or Master.

Also I know you're trying, but I suggest using punctuation in the middle of your run on sentences. Helps with making you sound a bit clearer.

White Midnight
Aug 10, 2009, 11:50 PM
Disappearing drives can also be a sign of a drive dying. Was there any suspicious noise coming from said drive when this started happening?

D~ONE
Aug 12, 2009, 01:36 AM
Disappearing drives can also be a sign of a drive dying. Was there any suspicious noise coming from said drive when this started happening?

No their is no ticking or anything like that coming from the drive however it was pulled from my PC that just died on me out of nowhere, well it's my lil sisters PC but it died.

It was periodically shutting off on her from time to time months before it died, that was a clear indication that hey maybe just maybe you should back up all of the information but of course I just ignored the warning signs and put it off until now.....