PDA

View Full Version : Update: Tip for soloing Magas Maggahna as Fighter?

Smidge204
Aug 10, 2009, 04:18 AM
Okay, I was thinking the Moatoob GBR might be a good opportunity to level my second character, currently a Fortefighter.

Magas Maggahna is a total pain in the ass, though. After the base breaks off he's almost impossible to hit! Even his arms are only reachable maybe half the time. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with this guy without ranged weapons?

UPDATE

Slicers work pretty good, much better than expected. The hardest part is keeping the bastard in range, since he moves pretty fast and teleports often. That's a problem even for Gunner types, so meh. :-?

A good Ground element slicer, without PAs, is fairly adequate for taking down Magas Maggahna after the base drops.
=Smidge=

KaF
Aug 10, 2009, 05:19 AM
You seem to be a masochist to even ask something like that.

The only real option should be using a handgun with Grav Shot 20 and hope he dies at some point. Mayalee Hit 20 could also come in handy IF he has 2 hitboxes near each other somewhere (shoulder perhaps?).

Other than that you could try to use gekitsnatas with dus robado and hope you hit him when he runs into it. Once he loses his pants it becomes a game of luck anyways.

I seriously wouldn't waste my time against this boss without a party full of rangers.

Ellipsis...
Aug 10, 2009, 05:29 AM
I don't know about FF but FM can kinda handle Maggas. I'll have to practice a bit as FM to give you a better answer, however here is what I did while leveling PT. Mind you this was all done in parties but it is applicable to FF.

I do know that Majarra can hit 2 targets even if Maggas loses its base O_O Only issue is getting it to stay in place long enough for you to do the 2nd part of Majarra...'

Also, while leveling PT I found Dugrega fairly good at hitting high targets as well as tracking it if it only does small movements.

Also, the slicer is good for hitting odd targets on Maggas, give both slicer PA's a try.

Hrith
Aug 10, 2009, 06:18 AM
Tornado Dance on the arms is the best way I have found to damage Magas Maggahna after the base part is destroyed (Fighmaster).

Neith
Aug 10, 2009, 07:43 AM
As a Fortefighter, I just used to use Slicers (it was Chikki at the time, but this was before Choutou released, so I don't know which would be better) and try to hit his arms once the base is destroyed. One of the advantages of using Slicer/Handgun combo is that even if you can't get a Slicer hit off, you might be able to get a quick Handgun shot on him.

Majarra can hit Magas when his base is gone, but I don't like doing it because it brings you very close to the lower-body blades, which do a lot of damage if they touch you in S3.

Magas is really annoying unless you're a gunner though. I did this guy with a Masterforce last night (solo) and it was a nightmare once his base had fallen off.

DreXxiN
Aug 10, 2009, 07:50 AM
If you have a high % Lightning Svaltus sword you can Gravity Break him, and Majarra him if he's confident. Unfortunately while my 46% Lightning Kan Yu does decent damage, the extra range from the sword does help.

Gen2000
Aug 10, 2009, 08:38 AM
If you got nearly max outed armor (46/50%), you can just Majarra his center still. As the second part will still hit him but you'll have to be Trimate popping quite a bit in between but it's the fastest way since he doesn't have much health once his base drops anyways so you should survive.

Otherwise you'll just stalling until he does a long recovery move like his rapid shots or orb laser cannon to get a good opening at his arms.

But since you're FF then Choutou with a good ground slicer is by far the easiest and safest way, just learn his pattern and aim at his arms (his left arm is usually the one that's within hittable range the most regardless what he is doing). But you said no ranged weapons...so I guess you'll just have to go down the (unnecessary) harder path.

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Aug 10, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hiya,

It's all about getting used to his tale tale signs of when he's going to do a move. I agree Dus Robado and gekitsnata work ok, best used when it does that long firing spray, stand right under the barrel and the spinning attacks will hit it, also when it raises its arms to crash them both down if you time it right you can get several hits in as the arms hit the ground although you'll get hit in the process. Cross hurrican is useful throughout especially the 2nd part of the combo as it will hit Magas's torso even if the bottom half has been destroyed.

Bogga Robado for knuckles works well with the first part of the combo, as your character moves forwards slightly before striking I believe 4/5 times if you time this right and its a high ground % you can easily cause 3k a hit depending on the level of your FF of course.

I never use a gun to fight magas solo it can be done quite easily without just get used to the tell tale signs before he executes a move, the more you practice the easier it'll get

Tifa

Smidge204
Aug 10, 2009, 02:17 PM
Well, thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try...

It really seems like Moatoob's bosses are all designed to spite the melee classes; Dimmagolus practically never lands, Magas Maggahna turns deadly once the bottom drops off, and De Rol Le always keeps a good distance from the raft.

Bastards, all of them.
=Smidge=

beatrixkiddo
Aug 10, 2009, 03:00 PM
If you have a high % Lightning Svaltus sword you can Gravity Break him, and Majarra him if he's confident. Unfortunately while my 46% Lightning Kan Yu does decent damage, the extra range from the sword does help.

And you use Lightning weapons on Magas why?

Hrith
Aug 10, 2009, 05:58 PM
rofl

He got you there, Drexxypoo :wacko:

Smidge204
Aug 10, 2009, 05:59 PM
I read it as just a typo/slip. Meh.

Update: I managed to take him out (lvl 50) with my 75/15 Fortefighter. Used twin claws on him until the base fell off, then managed to chip away at him with a 0/10 Railgun (neutral element) until dead. Only died once.

Did you know there's a little cave off to one side of the arena that you can hide in to take a breather? REALLY useful. Handgun doesn't have the range to shoot him from inside, but next time I'm out there with my GM I might try it.
=Smidge=

The_Brimada
Aug 10, 2009, 06:27 PM

Lol I didn't even catch on to that at first.

beatrixkiddo
Aug 10, 2009, 10:37 PM
I read it as just a typo/slip. Meh.

Update: I managed to take him out (lvl 50) with my 75/15 Fortefighter. Used twin claws on him until the base fell off, then managed to chip away at him with a 0/10 Railgun (neutral element) until dead. Only died once.

Did you know there's a little cave off to one side of the arena that you can hide in to take a breather? REALLY useful. Handgun doesn't have the range to shoot him from inside, but next time I'm out there with my GM I might try it.
=Smidge=

He can still get you in that cave. The best way to handle him as a FF is to Majarra/Assault Crush the base until it breaks, then Majarra the arms. Unless they're up high you can still hit them quite easily, and it's much better than the awful damage you'll be doing with a handgun.

DreXxiN
Aug 10, 2009, 10:53 PM

..Shutup D=. lol.

But yeah, ground >_>.

TecherRamen
Aug 12, 2009, 10:58 AM
spinning break the arms =X (majarra also works)

Hrith
Aug 12, 2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I just tried it as Fighmaster and Spinning Break works well, maybe even better than Tornado Dance.