PDA

View Full Version : Mag DEX

Randomness
Aug 15, 2009, 01:52 PM
Basically, how much dex should I stop at for hunters? (Specifically, HUnewearl) Right now my Savitri is sitting at 47.

Magus_84
Aug 15, 2009, 02:37 PM
The answer is going to be different for each class, but Hunewearl has the most difference from the other Hunters.

Her potential max ATA is great...but her ATA growth is utterly horrid. She's got a 52 point difference between her base level 200 ATA (147) and max (199) ATA. She gains 12 ATA in her last 50 levels. :(

When I do stat plans, I generally aim to have the character's ATA (and ATP if I can manage it) maxed by about 150 or so. Huney has 135 ATA at level 150, out of her total max of 199.

For GC:

I'd suggest investing in a God/Arm or two. Put 74 Dex on your mag. Use 2x God/Arms til level 195. From 195-200 (if you ever level this character that far), you can drop to one God/Arm.

For BB:

Grab an Adept. Put 66 Dex on your mag. Use an Adept and a Heavenly/Arm.

MeruAmura
Aug 15, 2009, 02:56 PM
Depends on YOU! What weps do you use most? or you can do what I do and make 1 overal mag 1 dex mag 1 pow mag and one mind mag depending on how you want to handle things that day

ViewtifulJoe
Aug 15, 2009, 03:50 PM
I am neither intending to max my character nor willing to make three different mags for one character, so what I do (and what works pretty well) is use a 13/150/37/0 Sato (which I should have done a better job of limiting def on, oh well) and two God/Arms. Your 47 mag dex is a better value. I don't think you need more if you have two god/arms though. It also helps to find a 35 hit demolition Comet. :T

Magus_84
Aug 15, 2009, 04:37 PM
For what it's worth...I went with a 5/115/80/0 mag on my BB Huney.

I then promptly stole it for my Fomarl. >> And made the Huney a 5/135/60/0 mag to be used with the already-mentioned Adept/Heavenly Arms combo. I used the Mind mag I share on several characters to learn techs on her.

"Balanced" mags are a trap, as generally speaking you won't ever need both MST and POW on a Mag unless you're going for a stat-maxing one at character levels past 180. And please don't try to tell me that its "easier" to build a "balanced" Mag than it is to build a Pow/Dex focused one. You simply don't feed it any Fluids. At all. :/

The extra TP from Mag Mind is always nice, but it's a luxury that cuts into points you could be using for Pow/Dex. That's mainly because Difluids and Trifluids (to restore TP) are cheaply buyable in shops. Yes, running out of TP quickly is a pain. But not being able to hit something reliably enough to flinch it or not being able to kill it before it kills you/your teammate is a bigger pain, one that can't be offset by a consumable from the shop.

It'd be nice if the design ideal of "melee/tech hybrid" ST wants to force on Hunewearl would be viable in Ultimate, but...well. Even a Fonewearl can outdo her techs with ATP-based damage in certain situations. A attack-tech dependent Hunewearl should only be done if you're looking for a severe challenge. Keeping in mind that even a totally min-maxed Hunewearl can have trouble in some of the harder areas.

What you "need" ATA-wise is heavily dependent on the level range of the character you're asking about, the types of weapons you like using and the areas you tend to play her in a lot.

Ep 1 "needs" far less ATA than Ep 2, and a style heavily dependent on use of specials needs more than someone who's simply going to hit things with Normal/Heavy attacks using the highest-ATP weapon they have.

If you're just messing around in Forest with "rare" melee weapons on Ultimate, you need far less than if you're trying to spam Charge in Seabeds.

And before the inevitable "let people do what they want" replies come in (again)...people are asking for advice. I'm giving the best advice I'm capable of. Not everyone's going to be able to find a rare weapon with hit % (like the Demo Comet example).

Everyone that is capable of getting to Ultimate will eventually be able to buy non-rare weapons with hit from the shop. The upside to going with ATA-heavy builds that rely mostly on non-rare weapons with hit % is that they're easily obtainable and they allow you a variable set of options.

The worse you're doing, the more power you can apply (Charge, again). The better you're doing, the more you can goof off with weapons that look cool, as you'll have the ATA to successfully use anything you want to use.

Yes, I'm probably overthinking this. I do that a lot. Thing is...most of the above spiel is stuff I gradually came to over years of playing PSO. I'm not busting my brain to come up with this, just trying to find a way to put it without coming across as a giant asshat. >_>

ViewtifulJoe
Aug 16, 2009, 07:33 AM
I, for one, appreciate your spiel. Your advice about not needing high-def armors at higher levels contributed to my decision to just wear a sense plate with my Ramarl, who rarely gets hit by attacks where defense does anything, now that I think about it.

psofan219
Aug 17, 2009, 07:56 AM
If you're on GC, either place DEX at 104 if you don't want to rely on /Arm units to max out in ATA, or take the ATA increase you get from a God/Arm, double it, then subtract it from the DEX of the MAG.

For example:
Let's say you want to have a Marksman/Arm++ equipped to help max out ATA. It boosts ATA by 5. Now, double that, and you get 10. Subtract 10 from 104, and the new DEX level your MAG should have is now 94. See how that works?

If you're on BB, use either only 104 or 54, no other levels! As you have access to a Heavenly/Arm, which boosts ATA by 25 points, no other DEX levels are needed. Same rule here, use 104 if you don't want any /Arm units equipped, or use 54 if you don't mind traveling with a Heavenly/Arm equipped. Remember, no other DEX levels on a BB HUnewearl MAG if you plan on maxing out in ATA.

Actually, this same rule should be applied to GC as well. I just don't know how much God/Arm boosts ATA by. But that's how you should do DEX on a HUnewearl's MAG if you plan on maxing out. Hell, for any character for that matter, as everybody can have /Arm units equipped.

ViewtifulJoe
Aug 18, 2009, 06:36 AM
25 ATA from one unit? O.O

God/Arm is 15.

psofan219
Aug 18, 2009, 10:49 AM
Yes. Heavenly/Arm gives you 25 ATA, which is awesome.