PDA

View Full Version : Learn to Read l33t

Delete
Aug 17, 2009, 12:30 AM
My In-game name is the same as here mostly except it's spelled D3L3T3.
However, when I join random people, they tend to call me Delta. Like 75% of the time.
Is my name that confusing because of the 3's? @__@
I mean how the hell do soooo many people make that mistake?

Nitro Vordex
Aug 17, 2009, 12:56 AM
It's because you look like an idiot with numbers in your name. :wacko:

In all seriousness though, I know how you feel. IT'S A "D", NOT A "T".

Delete
Aug 17, 2009, 01:03 AM
To be honest, I wish I could change it to Delete. But I'll be darned if I'm gonna make another character and level them up just because of 3 numbers/letters. ^

Btw, I still owe you a bomb Nitro.....^^

Anduril
Aug 17, 2009, 01:33 AM
I always have issues with people saying my name when I play on my character Keighlah, pronounced Kayla. I've gotten some good ones like Keg-la, Kay-lee, Kalia and of course just good ol' Keh-you-over-there. I mean is it really that hard to realize that I used "ei" like you would in neighbor or weigh?

Majarra
Aug 17, 2009, 03:30 AM
I always have issues with people saying my name when I play on my character Keighlah, pronounced Kayla. I've gotten some good ones like Keg-la, Kay-lee, Kalia and of course just good ol' Keh-you-over-there. I mean is it really that hard to realize that I used "ei" like you would in neighbor or weigh?Um. Yea.....

Zarode
Aug 17, 2009, 05:09 AM
Aim leet speak is becoming a lost art, lately.

Firocket1690
Aug 17, 2009, 05:36 AM
Um. Yea.....
reminds me of that lame thread where everyone was commenting how lame the thread was. :3

Sayara
Aug 17, 2009, 08:37 AM
Human nature really, we assume what we are seeing is may not be exactly what it is.

Its like how if you mispeel a word but kept the first few letters you'd assume what that word is.

SabZero
Aug 17, 2009, 08:52 AM
I'd read that as dethreelthreetthree. yup.

Leviathan
Aug 17, 2009, 10:03 AM
I always have issues with people saying my name when I play on my character Keighlah, pronounced Kayla. I've gotten some good ones like Keg-la, Kay-lee, Kalia and of course just good ol' Keh-you-over-there. I mean is it really that hard to realize that I used "ei" like you would in neighbor or weigh?

That really reminds me of parents who go out on a limb to take a name like Jacob and then make it look confusing to pronounce.

Jacob
Jaiko7b [The 7 is silent.]

Kent
Aug 17, 2009, 02:45 PM
In their defense, it's not like said character name is "delete" or something.

If you want, I can call you DLT. Like a delicious sandwich, that swapped out the bacon for... dates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_Palm). :wacko:

Delete
Aug 17, 2009, 08:50 PM
Oh I forgot, sometimes they call me D3 as well....>.>

Squirrel3D
Aug 17, 2009, 09:13 PM
Poor Meilin.....some idiots will call her "Merlin". I don't get it....it clearly spells her freaking name and yet the idiot think it's a wizard name.

Ruru
Aug 24, 2009, 02:35 AM
i just dont get people who take your name and completely screw it up. like one of my characters names. cocoruru. i've had people call me cocoron coconuts cococrispy.... if you're gonna screw it up on purpose dont even bother saying it D:

DreXxiN
Aug 24, 2009, 06:30 AM
coconuts

http://www.np4me.org/etc/pics/Trolled.jpg
It's intentionally making fun of your name.

My only annoyance is in short, instead of people calling me Drex, they'll call me Dre. Can't say I blame them nor is anyone at fault, it's just iffy to me =P

biggabertha
Aug 24, 2009, 08:27 AM
You guys need an easy name to remember, like mine:

Rumplestiltskin

TRY MAKING FUN OF THAT ONE!!

Nitro Vordex
Aug 24, 2009, 08:36 AM
You guys need an easy name to remember, like mine:

Rumplestiltskin

TRY MAKING FUN OF THAT ONE!!
Rumpofshitskin.

DreXxiN
Aug 24, 2009, 08:46 AM
:OO

gg.

Bitzen
Aug 24, 2009, 12:25 PM
I get BLitzen about 50% of the time I meet new people. =\

Outrider
Aug 24, 2009, 12:49 PM
Everybody calls me Richard (http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/9e/6d/80e2793509a072b472fd1110.L.jpg).

It's unsettling.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 24, 2009, 01:13 PM
Thats alright Delete, whenever I'm on as Carmilla there are those who call me Camillia, Carmello, and Garmillia. Where these people get these variations is beyond me. Maybe from they're ass I guess. Oh also I get Milly for some reason. I guess its a cute variation of my name.

Ruru
Aug 24, 2009, 02:34 PM
It's intentionally making fun of your name.

yeah and it really doesnt help create a good first impression when they intentionally mess with me that way.

maybe its just the way i was brought up, but not calling someone by their name properly is a huge sign of disrespect. if someone says something along the lines of "well my name is X__________X but you can call me X____X" then thats different. but if the first thing you do is disrespect my name it's really not going to sit well with me.

Kent
Aug 24, 2009, 06:31 PM
Everybody calls me Richard (http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/9e/6d/80e2793509a072b472fd1110.L.jpg).

It's unsettling.
If it makes you feel any better, both Outrider (http://the-junkyard.net/vehicles-starsiege.php?action=viewvehicle&game=starsiege&id=14) and Richard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8) make me think of things very much different from that.

Outrider
Aug 24, 2009, 07:10 PM
If it makes you feel any better, both Outrider (http://the-junkyard.net/vehicles-starsiege.php?action=viewvehicle&game=starsiege&id=14) and Richard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8) make me think of things very much different from that.

I'm actually surprised more people don't think of the real, ridiculous origin (http://www.starwarsmodels.com/images/boxes/outrider.jpg) of my username.

DreXxiN
Aug 24, 2009, 07:31 PM
yeah and it really doesnt help create a good first impression when they intentionally mess with me that way.

maybe its just the way i was brought up, but not calling someone by their name properly is a huge sign of disrespect. if someone says something along the lines of "well my name is X__________X but you can call me X____X" then thats different. but if the first thing you do is disrespect my name it's really not going to sit well with me.

I understand, I'm just saying it's not like a typo or anything. Although if people actually legitimately misread your name as that then they need to be shot.

oO 0uTcaSt Oo
Aug 24, 2009, 10:32 PM
My Real name is Ronin.. For some messed reason people pronounce it Rooneen.. or just call me Ron.. It annoys me >.<

Ruru
Aug 24, 2009, 11:24 PM
My Real name is Ronin.. For some messed reason people pronounce it Rooneen.. or just call me Ron.. It annoys me >.<

i feel your pain lol

my real name is Runa. and people cant seem to pronounce it correctly..

i've gotten called Runner, Runnah, Rooner. some people just call me Run.... its just amazing that you can pronounce Runa in so many wrong ways.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 24, 2009, 11:25 PM
I like how people screw up my last name. They have so many variations that I wonder if they have been dropped on the head when they were newborns. When I say "Rizzo" they automatically call me "Russo", "Righzzo", "Rissho" (no lie, that very same person said that and went "OH MY GAWD! Are you like, Japanese or something? Teehee! Konnichiwa! Heehee!" I wanted to RAGEQUIT humanity at that point and slaughter this walking defunct baby factory here and now), and "Rizzinator". Guh, please don't ask about the last one. The dunce was lucky people were present because I was ready to cave his skull in with a crowbar.

Ruru
Aug 24, 2009, 11:42 PM
I like how people screw up my last name. They have so many variations that I wonder if they have been dropped on the head when they were newborns. When I say "Rizzo" they automatically call me "Russo", "Righzzo", "Rissho" (no lie, that very same person said that and went "OH MY GAWD! Are you like, Japanese or something? Teehee! Konnichiwa! Heehee!" I wanted to RAGEQUIT humanity at that point and slaughter this walking defunct baby factory here and now), and "Rizzinator". Guh, please don't ask about the last one. The dunce was lucky people were present because I was ready to cave his skull in with a crowbar.

lol oh god i know. i'm not gonna even go there with the mispronunciation of my last name... -_-;;

DreXxiN
Aug 25, 2009, 12:01 AM
You guys have no idea, lol. Both my First and Last name are mispelled (Just a hint, first name is Michale). Imagine how strangely that gets pronounced.

And Runa? WTF, Can I has cool IRL name like you?

Gentlemen
Aug 25, 2009, 01:01 AM
You guys have no idea, lol. Both my First and Last name are mispelled (Just a hint, first name is Michale). Imagine how strangely that gets pronounced.

Wow Michelle, that totally sucks.

Ruru
Aug 25, 2009, 01:04 AM

ehh... my mom is the japanese equivalent of an american hippy.

so getting named after the moon was only natural.

and wow yeah seeing Michale i'm not even sure how to pronounce that XD

Volcompat321
Aug 25, 2009, 10:20 AM
I have a weird first name and last.
My first name is Patrik (note the "c" is missing).
You wouldn't believe how many teachers mispronounced that, and told me on many occasions I spelled my own name wrong.
More than one time, my mom had to call the school and explain to them there was no "c".
Eventually the whole school of teachers got it, since I was in the same school for pre-kindergarten to 4th grade. (I got all but 2 grades of grades of teachers).
My last name is German, Chatlos(pronounced Chat-los), teachers trying to say this is hilarious.
I think the only people that ever get it right is coaches when I was in high school.
Usually people just call me by my last name, unless I just met you.
It's not that I don't like Patrik, people just seemed to call me by my last name, so I went with it.

You guys have no idea, lol. Both my First and Last name are mispelled (Just a hint, first name is Michale). Imagine how strangely that gets pronounced.?

I actually have a friend from up north that has the same spelling.
It's pronounced like "Michael" isn't it?
It's how he says his name.

furrypaws
Aug 25, 2009, 05:10 PM
Well, at least people only misspell your names.

People generally tend to assume that, based on my screen name, I am a furry, and then treat me as such.

;-;

Nitro Vordex
Aug 25, 2009, 08:04 PM
Wait, you're not?

Ruru
Aug 25, 2009, 09:13 PM

People generally tend to assume that, based on my screen name, I am a furry, and then treat me as such.

;-;

*throws pokéball*

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 25, 2009, 10:17 PM

;-;

Can I smoosh your face and call you Charlie? For no apparent reason? Also don't mind me blasting the OP to Baccano!. It's a badass tune.

DreXxiN
Aug 25, 2009, 11:35 PM
It's pronounced like "Michael" isn't it?

Bingo, lol.

Vanzazikon
Aug 26, 2009, 03:41 PM

;-;And who's fault is that?

furrypaws
Aug 26, 2009, 09:49 PM
And who's fault is that?

:disapprove:

Nitro Vordex
Aug 26, 2009, 10:11 PM
And who's fault is that?
Said the guy with a fox for an avatar.

Shadowpawn
Aug 26, 2009, 10:32 PM
Looks like a mod changed the title, I thought that kind of thing was FKL only?

Oh yeah right, the topic. Uh, I wouldn't let small things like that bother me. If you ignore it they'll eventually call you by your actual name.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 26, 2009, 10:38 PM
Well, technically his name was in leet speak. >_>

Meyfei
Aug 28, 2009, 09:35 PM

Oh yeah right, the topic. Uh, I wouldn't let small things like that bother me. If you ignore it they'll eventually call you by your actual name.

and if they dont you could always 1337 their name till they /quit party xD

kskott
Sep 3, 2009, 04:32 AM
For games with all the cool names taken, I use G3rb1ll (gerbil with a couple of extra L's). People tend to call me Gerb. I sort of like that one. My wife likes to put things like "g33k" or "n3rd" at the end of her name, and most people don't catch on (geek/nerd). Usually they take the first part of her name and add either the g or n, ignoring the 3's and everything after. My friends and I jokingly refer to one of her characters (Pandan3rd) as Pandan-third.

I'm actually surprised more people don't think of the real, ridiculous origin (http://www.starwarsmodels.com/images/boxes/outrider.jpg) of my username.

That's what I always thought!

Anduril
Sep 3, 2009, 10:39 AM
I just started taking a Linguistics class this semester and I realize now more than ever how messed up English itself is even without 1337.
For example take these words: enough, women, notion. Now based on how we pronounce those you could argue that you could spell "fish" as "ghoti."

Delete
Sep 3, 2009, 11:24 AM

Lol, I just noticed that too. At least it makes since :-)

kskott
Sep 3, 2009, 09:15 PM
I just started taking a Linguistics class this semester and I realize now more than ever how messed up English itself is even without 1337.
For example take these words: enough, women, notion. Now based on how we pronounce those you could argue that you could spell "fish" as "ghoti."

My friends and I were calling it ghoti for a whole semester because of that :wacko:

furrypaws
Sep 6, 2009, 12:13 AM

Urgh, I hate English. I'm just glad it was my first language, so I know it naturally, instead of having to come from a language that actually makes sense.

Kent
Sep 6, 2009, 08:41 AM
Except that in English, different word fragments are pronounced differently based on their placing and relationship with other letters within the same word.

Henceforth, a ghoti is now a style of facial hair. :wacko:

Weeaboolits
Oct 16, 2009, 09:06 PM
leet is stupid, though, and a lot of people throw random numbers and X's into their names like they were spaces, it's rather obnoxious.
Speaking of all this though, a disturbing number of people mispronounce the first bit of my handle. It's not like the word has seen common usage in English for a number of years or anything, or that it's pronounced about the same as it would be if it were an English word, no, not at all. Maybe if it were the name of a Naruto character they would get it right.

Delete
Oct 18, 2009, 10:46 PM
leet is stupid

Demz sound like some fighting words lol jk. I wish I could change my name to Delete, but I'm stuck at D3L3T3 so I guess I'm screwed.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 18, 2009, 11:26 PM
leet is stupid, though, and a lot of people throw random numbers and X's into their names like they were spaces, it's rather obnoxious.
Speaking of all this though, a disturbing number of people mispronounce the first bit of my handle. It's not like the word has seen common usage in English for a number of years or anything, or that it's pronounced about the same as it would be if it were an English word, no, not at all. Maybe if it were the name of a Naruto character they would get it right.
How could they possible pronounce your name wrong? >_>

Randomness
Oct 19, 2009, 12:20 AM
Someone call TOH.

This thread's a zombie. Seriously.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 19, 2009, 01:03 AM
Only old mans like me would associate it with the ol wandering Samurai with no master.
But I have thought at times straight to "Roninja," but I guess anime (filler) watchers don't ever deviate from the source material, or make their own jokes.

Another person in this thread above had a similar time with Ronin.

As for D3L3T3, I'd call you 3-Deletio, quick speaking and your pref. be damned!
(but if we were online co-op buds, I'd think you'd grow to like it, or I'd wait a while until springin that one ya, using the DELETE at first up to it)

I didn't use this U/N for the PSYOU's, just a HAYA and a v.3G after, but around here someone didn't pay it too much attention and always read it as "Hayainuyasha" or something. Animu Doggin' me.