PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Confusion for PSZ

Reksanden
Aug 19, 2009, 11:50 PM
I forgot how to deal with this. umm....... Okay, how do I use WiFi with DS? I need to know as i'll be getting PSZ and primarily playing online, and i'll need help because I have no idea how to use WiFi......

Somnia
Aug 20, 2009, 01:39 AM
Wifi is just simply a wireless connection. If you have a wireless router, you'll be all set (almost). When you try to go online with PSZ, the game will take you to the wireless setup screen and it's just simply a matter of choosing your access point and entering the password. If you don't have a wireless router, there are a lot of restaurants and such that offer free Wifi; or, usually if you buy a cup of coffee or something.

If your router has WPA encryption, too bad; it won't work. You'll need to buy the Nintendo WIFI USB Adapter, retails at about $30. It comes with easy instructions, and it's quite a reliable unit.

Evila
Aug 20, 2009, 01:48 AM
You got a couple of choices...

The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector. Not recommended since it's discontinued thus hard to find at stores, doesn't work with Macs, plus its use is limited to just connecting your Wii and DS online. But if you do manage to find one cheap it'll get the job done with little hassle. There's also a similar product by Datel called the WiFi Max, but yeah, same complaints with that one. Limited use.

A wireless router. I'd recommend this one, plus you'll be ready to go if you plan to use other wireless stuff, like PSP and etc. Plus it'll cost you around the same price in the end. Just make sure you don't buy one that's under the 'incompatible' list at this page (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/routerInfo.jsp), and make sure you aren't using WPA encryption.

Also, If you have a Macbook that's hooked up to to the internet with an ethernet cord, then you can use the freed up AirPort card to turn it into an access point for the DS and other devices. Instructions on how to do that here (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051119155606277).

Hope that helps.

Reksanden
Aug 20, 2009, 10:37 AM
Now I remember! We have a Linksys sitting at home till we get internet. I'm set to go then.

Electrofreq
Aug 20, 2009, 11:34 AM
I have not been able to play online with my DSi through my wireless router. Instead I use the Buffalo Wi-Fi Gamers which does the trick without any complications. People keep telling me that it is possible but I have yet to do it otherwise. I have no problems with my DS Phat though.

Sayl
Aug 20, 2009, 06:12 PM
Many retailers also provide free wi fi around their place of buisness. Starbucks,Mcdonalds and Gamestop are three off the top of my head. Any large city will have hundreds of wi fi spots all around you, most of them being locked. DS supports WEP incription and works best with buffalo products, I have used the Nintendo wi-fi adapter and could not get it to work with vista 64 or XP, its only nominally more complicated to get a wireless router for 19.99 or less and plug it into your land line.