PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 PSP PSU 2 to have Battle Mode

AzureBlaze
Aug 24, 2009, 03:22 AM
Are there any BA'ers left from the old days?
If so, this will be good news. I didn't see this anywhere else but if you inspect the screenshots carefully you can see that it's true. This blog here reports on it:

http://bumped.org/psublog/category/phantasy-star-portable-2/

and shows people actually jumping from island to island, as well as getting points and being on teams. It may or may not be char vs. char fighting like we knew on the DCPSO days, but it's certainly something interesting to see.

I know that vs. always brings up a bit of the hate, but still, it is only reasonable to think that the more modes anything provides, the more entertainment it can provide. (ie something for everyone) Battle kept older PSUs alive, along with Challenge Mode long after a lot of the other play types got stale. (ie, reached cap, got all the rares you wanted, etc)

What do you think? What do you hope?
I would like to see several modes, Cmode, actual char vs char fighting with 'rules' like the old days, plus whatever this new jumping thing is. The more modes the merrier. Will the scores end up above your head in your title like before?

Ibuka
Aug 24, 2009, 03:51 AM
Well im sold! *kicks old JP PSPo to the side and waits for PSP2* It would be nice to see some battle or team based game play in PSU to take a break from rare hunting a lil bit XD

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 07:13 AM
Two things I noticed.. one good and one bad.

1) that blog said that there may be some sort of my room items, which is one thing I liked about PSU because it gives you something else fun to hunt.

2) "Japanese PSP2 will be getting Downloadable content" :( :( :( GIVE IT TO US TOO DAMMIT :(

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 09:51 AM
Yea, I noticed that too.
I also am unsure still, but it doesn't look like we will get voice chat.
Typing with the PSP is going to be ridiculously tedious.
Maybe we will be able to plug our PSP to the PC via USB cable and type with our keyboar(yea right)
Eitehr way, typing with the PSP is not ideal. Brings you back to PS2 PSU with no KB which sucked.

panzer_unit
Aug 24, 2009, 10:45 AM
If the game still supports AdHoc you'll be able to get voice chat with AdHoc Party. Hopefully it does, relying on internet connections would actually make it quite a bit harder to play with my friends.

misstigress
Aug 24, 2009, 11:05 AM
Two things I noticed.. one good and one bad.

1) that blog said that there may be some sort of my room items, which is one thing I liked about PSU because it gives you something else fun to hunt.

2) "Japanese PSP2 will be getting Downloadable content" :( :( :( GIVE IT TO US TOO DAMMIT :(

I'll be playing the Japanese one myself (Japanese games are region-free on the PSP), although I do hope that we get download content this time around. (Monster Hunter gives the English version download content, so it's just laziness on Sega's part if they don't do it.)

As far as the possibility of having some form of a personal room or items in PSP2 goes, the game sounds even more amazing with each morsel of information we receive.

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 11:18 AM
If the game still supports AdHoc you'll be able to get voice chat with AdHoc Party. Hopefully it does, relying on internet connections would actually make it quite a bit harder to play with my friends.

Ad-Hoc is supported, but it's not online.
Ad-Hoc is "online" play with local people. They have to be in the same house to play with those people.
Technically you're right about being able to use voice chat, because it would be like people talking to people in the same room...A normal conversation :wacko:

WBMike
Aug 24, 2009, 11:20 AM
Shougai pso slipped an update under it's BATTLE section
and linked to the jumping screenshot. So for now I guess this is our "Battle"

panzer_unit
Aug 24, 2009, 12:26 PM
Ad-Hoc is supported, but it's not online.
Ad-Hoc is "online" play with local people. They have to be in the same house to play with those people.
Technically you're right about being able to use voice chat, because it would be like people talking to people in the same room...A normal conversation :wacko:

No, there are apps that will connect over the internet and then trick your PSP into thinking it's a PSP making an AdHoc network connection. Sony's PS3 app called "AdHoc Party" (it's just out as a Japanese PSN download, for now) also streams voice chat if you've got a headset or camera hooked up.

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 12:29 PM
I don't think people would play in the "tricked ad-hoc" just because you can voice chat.
Why do that when there's an online infrastructure mode?
I just hope we can hook it up with skype of something.

Akaimizu
Aug 24, 2009, 12:35 PM
Skype is the easy way. I do believe that the bigger hurdle really is the online connectivity. So yeah, Sony's Adhoc system would probably be a nice idea for voice chat; but it suffers from the same limitations of Xlink Kai. Getting all of your friends to get the hardware and such, plus the game so you can play with each other.

On the other hand, I have friends with PSPs, and a Wi-fi router. Considering we all have computers, that makes connecting together that much easier. And to a degree, the majority of the players, most of us know, probably have all of these things (except perhaps a PSP).

Needless to say, getting over the hurdle of what people will generally have is answered with Infrastructure. Because they can even use it means they likely can use the super easy to set up "absolutely free" Voice over IPs to communicate. Installing something like Skype will definitely come a lot easier than nabbing a PS3 and setting it up to play Adhoc Party. Not to mention, the Skype method has absolutely no special hardware setup demands, unlike the other two.

So the descending order of what people are likely to have goes like this:

Computer -> Internet -> Wi-fi router -> PSP -> PS3 -> Datel Wi-fi Max/Planex Adaptor.

Of course, while the PS3 is above the other in the amount likely to be in your house, you must subtract the high amount of users, with PS3s, that know what they're doing or bother to go through the japanese set ups to get said software. Skype requires no instruction for most people except *go to the website* the auto-install wizard will help set it up for you. The Adhoc numbers are climbing, no doubt, but a far cry from the odds people have the first four devices.

panzer_unit
Aug 24, 2009, 01:00 PM
Well, hold on... PS3's just getting the new Slim model and a huge price cut down to what a reasonable game system should cost. Sony's taken out the trademark on AdHoc Party in the US. By the time PS:P2 is out here AdHoc Party might be really darn common.

Does Skype allow for party calling? If you can only talk to one teammate at a time that might be a little challenging. Otherwise you're looking at Vent or Teamspeak or one of those actual gaming voice communication channels.

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 01:10 PM
Well, hold on... PS3's just getting the new Slim model and a huge price cut down to what a reasonable game system should cost. Sony's taken out the trademark on AdHoc Party in the US. By the time PS:P2 is out here AdHoc Party might be really darn common.

Does Skype allow for party calling? If you can only talk to one teammate at a time that might be a little challenging. Otherwise you're looking at Vent or Teamspeak or one of those actual gaming voice communication channels.

Ventrilo happens to be far easier than Skype to use IMO lol. As long as you know of a server, and if you play pretty much any online game someone is bound to have one set up for the public.

I'm glad they're adding infrastructure. Ad Hoc party/Xlink kai is really laggy (not sure if infra will be the same way), not to mention infrastructure will bring more players than xlink or ad hoc party ever will. Please don't tell me that the price cut on the PS3 will make ad hoc party more popular, because regardless of its price nobody wants to go out and buy something (be it $20 for xlink or $200+ for PS3) just to play online on phantasy star portable on their psp.

Akaimizu
Aug 24, 2009, 01:11 PM
Good call. Teamspeak, or something like that, would be better. The PS3 penetration may end up being common, thanks to new prices, but I'll hold my breath on how fast that will happen. We are talking about people who seem to be quite slow, these days, to buying any full-sized console. (Or even an expensive-enough portable one).

It will be interesting to see what happens, in the next 12 months. Just wish Adhoc party didn't require a specific hardware setup unlike the Infrastructure thing. If Adhoc Party didn't require the PS3 to have a direct Ethernet connection, or a good enough wi-fi wall-plug that allows a pass-through connection by connecting the ethernet to that. I'd say the PS3 adhoc would be easily common. That requirement is probably the biggest hurdle for the numbers.

Dragwind
Aug 24, 2009, 01:16 PM
If this battle mode is anything at all like PSO's battle mode with barriers, stat limitations and such...

I'm making a miniature spikey haired humar. Just kidding, I'll be making a miniature CAST.

As for better communication for this mode:

It seems there will be options for the community to use.

-PS3
-IRC, etc

Over time, a few public options for the community players here should open up.

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 01:20 PM
If this battle mode is anything at all like PSO's battle mode with barriers, stat limitations and such...

I'm making a miniature spikey haired humar. Just kidding, I'll be making a miniature CAST.

As for better communication for this mode:

It seems there will be options for the community to use.

-PS3
-IRC, etc

Over time, a few public options for the community players here should open up.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone set up a ventrilo/TS server solely for this game if it ends up getting a decent online playerbase

panzer_unit
Aug 24, 2009, 01:28 PM
I'm glad they're adding infrastructure. Ad Hoc party/Xlink kai is really laggy (not sure if infra will be the same way), not to mention infrastructure will bring more players than xlink or ad hoc party ever will. Please don't tell me that the price cut on the PS3 will make ad hoc party more popular, because regardless of its price nobody wants to go out and buy something (be it $20 for xlink or $200+ for PS3) just to play online on phantasy star portable on their psp.

Well, technically people would be buying something like a cheap PS3 on its own merits and getting online play for PSP games for free.

But you're probably right, I know I'm going to have to play infrastructure online or not at all... with two kids and my wife playing games I can't get anyone to leave my other machines alone as a server for an online connection.

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 01:39 PM
Well, technically people would be buying something like a cheap PS3 on its own merits and getting online play for PSP games for free.

While this is true, the odds of someone buying a PS3 for that reason AND having a PSP with PS:P2 to play on ad hoc party is still pretty slim :-/

I'm not particularly worried, anyways, about the online play. I get the feeling that this game will be a lot of fun seeing as how its adding a lot of new stuff. I just hope we get DLC this time around, and it would also be nice if people could come to your room to check it out.

panzer_unit
Aug 24, 2009, 02:18 PM
While this is true, the odds of someone buying a PS3 for that reason AND having a PSP with PS:P2 to play on ad hoc party is still pretty slim :-/

I dunno, what kind of Phantasy Star can you play on the PS3? The worst version of PSUniverse if you've got an old model with backwards compatibility. Thus owning a PSP and PS:P2 is pretty much a given unless you get a 360 and that version of Universe.

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 02:42 PM
I just realized.. do you guys think that it will be just like PS:P where the whole group gets a rare? I kinda hope not cause IMO that made the replayability so much lower :-/ I also hope trading is a possibility this time around.

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 02:56 PM
Most likely they added trading, although with trading comes the fear of duplicating.
Hopefully, the rares do go to everyone, that way they can have trading just in case you don't get the element you wanted/needed, and someone else did, and is willing to exchange.
Though, if it's server based (which I doubt) it will always save just like in PSU.
I think that would cost money though, unless like I said before in another post, it will auto save with no option to not save.
So, you would trade and right away, it will automatically save, which would get rid of duping.
I'm sure someone will find a way around this though.

Also, I really hope somehow the developers disabled CWcheats and NitePR, cause cheating on an online game is shit.

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 03:09 PM
Most likely they added trading, although with trading comes the fear of duplicating.
Hopefully, the rares do go to everyone, that way they can have trading just in case you don't get the element you wanted/needed, and someone else did, and is willing to exchange.
Though, if it's server based (which I doubt) it will always save just like in PSU.
I think that would cost money though, unless like I said before in another post, it will auto save with no option to not save.
So, you would trade and right away, it will automatically save, which would get rid of duping.

Also, I really hope somehow the developers disabled CWcheats and NitePR, cause cheating on an online game is shit.

I don't see the point in being able to trade AND the whole party getting the rare. That rather defeats the purpose IMO. Yea I guess elements make it KINDA worth it, but only barely.

P.S. they said you can use your offline character in infrastructure I think.. which means there will always be hackers.

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 03:13 PM
I don't see the point in being able to trade AND the whole party getting the rare. That rather defeats the purpose IMO. Yea I guess elements make it KINDA worth it, but only barely.

P.S. they said you can use your offline character in infrastructure I think.. which means there will always be hackers.

I think having the rares going to everyone and trading would be great.
Maybe not ideal for most people, but I like it.
Sucks about online and offline characters only because of the hacking, but it's good for people that don't want to work on more than one character.

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 03:18 PM
I think having the rares going to everyone and trading would be great.
Maybe not ideal for most people, but I like it.
Sucks about online and offline characters only because of the hacking, but it's good for people that don't want to work on more than one character.

I think that having rares going to everyone and trading is what made the original PS:P die out so quickly for me. Because really it only took a single run of everything whenever I was playing with friends, and there's only so many rares that are interesting to me. Just my 2 cents.

Also I get the feeling that PS:P2 will only barely have more content than PS:P.

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 03:21 PM
I doubt it will have "barely more content".
The features alone almost make it an entirely new game.
I can see what you mean getting a rare for each of the party members in one run, that is if you got the weapon in one run.

To this day, I still have not found an Agito Repca, and I have done that mission over and over to where I have 206 Flaming Horn boss killed.
Either way, I understand your point.

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 03:26 PM
I doubt it will have "barely more content".
The features alone almost make it an entirely new game.
I can see what you mean getting a rare for each of the party members in one run, that is if you got the weapon in one run.

To this day, I still have not found an Agito Repca, and I have done that mission over and over to where I have 206 Flaming Horn boss killed.
Either way, I understand your point.

what features are those?

*Having a lobby? Yes that's great but it's really not content.
*We've seen what 1 new mission? Wonderful, but that doesn't mean they won't sacrifice older missions. It's possible that they do sacrifice older missions, to make room since its meant to fit on the PSP disc.
*Dodging? really not content either, just another cool feature
*My room? I really like this but its also not content.

Basically we don't know enough about the game to say whether or not it will have loads more content. I'm not saying its not possible to have a lot more content, I just don't really expect it from sega, you know? I mean yea it *looks* great but being that we are dealing with sega there's got to be some kind of drawback.

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 03:28 PM
Someone posted a link either in this thread or another (a few threads below)
where it said there was over 2500 new items.
I'll find it and edit it in.
EDIT: Doh, it was posted by the OP in this thread. Original post on the first page, post 1.
Sorry, it was 2,000 items. Look under "minor additions".

http://bumped.org/psublog/category/phantasy-star-portable-2/

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 03:31 PM
Someone posted a link either in this thread or another (a few threads below)
where it said there was over 2500 new items.
I'll find it and edit it in.

Wow, that sounds great! I'm more referring to the missions though, It'd be nice if there were more of them/more difficult ones. That was another problem with PS:P, none of the missions were difficult after a certain level (like 80?)

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 03:35 PM
Wow, that sounds great! I'm more referring to the missions though, It'd be nice if there were more of them/more difficult ones. That was another problem with PS:P, none of the missions were difficult after a certain level (like 80?)

In that link provided by OP it says level cap 200.
I'm sure it will be somewhat difficult.
Also, on another post, it was said that "there will be multiplayer missions that calls for more than just slaying monsters".
So, I think it will be difficult.
Remember though, it is a portable game, I think it will be hard up until you hit level 200.

OriginalB
Aug 24, 2009, 03:45 PM
In that link provided by OP it says level cap 200.
I'm sure it will be somewhat difficult.
Also, on another post, it was said that "there will be multiplayer missions that calls for more than just slaying monsters".
So, I think it will be difficult.
Remember though, it is a portable game, I think it will be hard up until you hit level 200.

That does sound fun.. And i saw the part where it says there will be 2000 items :P I knew it couldnt be 2000 NEW items that would be absolutely ridiculous lol.

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 03:48 PM
It very well could be. :o
It is doubtful though.
Just think about it, how many items were in the first one, then subtract the rough amount, and see how many new items are in PSP:2
I'd say at least 800 new items.
There is going to be a lot due to the shield thing, plus all the new clothing items.
Maybe 800 is pushing it, but hey, we can hope!

Phaesphora
Aug 24, 2009, 07:15 PM
Does this mean we're going back to using the "L>" tag in party names?

OT, no thanks to battle mode, I prefer normally proportioned characters.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 24, 2009, 08:43 PM
I'd love to see people bitchin during battle mode about lag.

panzer_unit
Aug 25, 2009, 08:41 AM

Probably PS:P2 is going to be the same as PS:P for rares > all party members and not trading weapons etc. Items like clothes can be traded, probably room/lobby decos will be the same way too.

I doubt there's going to be much for hacker protection, probably no better than various console PSO games.