PDA

View Full Version : Acrotecher, Wartecher

Double J
Aug 31, 2009, 06:51 PM
Not to thread jack, but what's the big difference between the Ater and Wter? If I just plan on using the whips and buffs/heals would I be better off going as a Wter?

Ethateral
Aug 31, 2009, 07:09 PM
Not to thread jack, but what's the big difference between the Ater and Wter? If I just plan on using the whips and buffs/heals would I be better off going as a Wter?
It's really just a personal preference as to what you want to play. Don't let anyone tell you what to play or how to play. I prefer Acrotecher myself.

Ryno
Aug 31, 2009, 07:50 PM
Ditto to Ethateral but to me as well I prefer Acrotecher myself.

Gen2000
Aug 31, 2009, 09:50 PM
If I just plan on using the whips and buffs/heals would I be better off going as a Wter?

If that's all you're gonna be doing, be AT. They have better options for whips, use them faster, and have buffs people in random parties would actually want.

Pretty sure after a while you'll want to venture out to the different weapon types.

unicorn
Aug 31, 2009, 10:48 PM
Wartecher is better in a smaller party, since it does more damage than Acrotecher. Wartecher also has a much better weapon selection.

However, in a large party with gunners and fighters, Acrotecher is better since things would die too quick for Wartecher to be useful.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 1, 2009, 12:57 AM
Wartecher is better in a smaller party, since it does more damage than Acrotecher. Wartecher also has a much better weapon selection.

However, in a large party with gunners and fighters, Acrotecher is better since things would die too quick for Wartecher to be useful.

Haha, I will admit that WT does deal more damage than AT but we are talking about the worst of the worst here. Saying that the WT beats the AT in damage is like saying that you are taller than the world's shortest midget by an inch. I also agree that WT has a better weapon selection but if you are playing a type for the weapons then why would you ever select a WT?

Regardless of how you look at it, the AT is better simply due to the level 41+ buffs. Now if you do not have level 41+ buffs then it doesn't really matter which type you play as both have horrid DPS. For me, I prefer the AT as if you are going to play a support type you might as well be the best support type available. Once the types get rebalanced (read: stat increase for WT) this may change however.

Pillan
Sep 1, 2009, 09:27 AM
No matter what you want to say about Wartecher, it's still the only class that can use spears and heal. That in itself is worth something to anyone who wants to play defensive.

Honestly, I wouldn't put much faith in the Wartecher buff just because it's not anything exceptional. Wartecher still is in the same relative position to the other classes, and it still has a level 30 photon art cap. It's actually a little worse off when you compare it to the ATP growth of Fortegunner and Guntecher. Yes, you can alleviate some of the art cap issues with GAS, but every other class can do the same thing. And I doubt anyone really cares much about the other stat increases. If you did, Wartecher wouldn't be rated so lowly as-is.

But, as has already been said, if you want to whip, buff, and heal, you're a perfect candidate for Acrotecher. Acrotecher is superior to Wartecher in all of those fields due to the melee and tech speed bonus, higher support cap, higher ATA and TP, and S rank whip and S rank Madoog access. All that makes its one hand melee output nearly equal to (if not better than) Wartecher's in its current state when you have mid to high range elemental gear, plus there's the better status effects. I expect this to remain true after the update, except twin daggers will be added to the list of identical damage weapons.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 1, 2009, 12:28 PM
No matter what you want to say about Wartecher, it's still the only class that can use spears and heal. That in itself is worth something to anyone who wants to play defensive.

Uh, last time I checked every type can use Star Atomizers. I do understand what you mean about technics but having to swap weapons to cast a heal is often too much time to wait, especially on the 360 (weapon swap lag). Add to that the radius of level 21-30 Resta and why not just use a Star Atomizer?

I always laugh when I see techers die because they are trying to cast Resta/Giresta with their wand instead of simply popping a di/trimate or star atomizer. Sometimes healing items are much more effective than healing technics.

Honestly, I wouldn't put much faith in the Wartecher buff just because it's not anything exceptional. Wartecher still is in the same relative position to the other classes, and it still has a level 30 photon art cap. It's actually a little worse off when you compare it to the ATP growth of Fortegunner and Guntecher. Yes, you can alleviate some of the art cap issues with GAS, but every other class can do the same thing. And I doubt anyone really cares much about the other stat increases. If you did, Wartecher wouldn't be rated so lowly as-is.

I agree, I just wanted to sound like they might actually get better.

But, as has already been said, if you want to whip, buff, and heal, you're a perfect candidate for Acrotecher. Acrotecher is superior to Wartecher in all of those fields due to the melee and tech speed bonus, higher support cap, higher ATA and TP, and S rank whip and S rank Madoog access. All that makes its one hand melee output nearly equal to (if not better than) Wartecher's in its current state when you have mid to high range elemental gear, plus there's the better status effects. I expect this to remain true after the update, except twin daggers will be added to the list of identical damage weapons.

I also agree but please do not encourage whiptechers. The dagger will always be the bread and butter weapon of the AT while the whip is the situational DPS king. In the wrong hands a whip is no better than a TD n00b.

Pillan
Sep 1, 2009, 01:36 PM
Worth something isn't quite the same thing as saying it's worth as much.

Since the creator of the thread intends to use whips, it's not hard to couple them with a Shato that has Resta or Giresta and Reverser already linked in order to alleviate the lag. And, I'm pretty sure that the range of any of the current support techs at 21 is over twice as wide as that of a Star Atomizer. The main problem with that is that it's easy to argue that you'd always be better off as an Acrotecher in that case between the faster whips and casts, the wider range, the better status effects, the higher accuracy, and the equal damage.

As far as what weapon should be used in which situation, I'll avoid straying into a debate on that just because the initial question was about which is better for whipping and supporting.

AC9breaker
Sep 1, 2009, 02:41 PM
The answer is simple, Dark Satellite.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 1, 2009, 02:44 PM
What about WT vs AT in melee skills? Seeing as alot of you guys are putting emphasis on buffs (I ain't that great at support. More of a "RAAAAGH! SLASHY SLASH RAAWWWRGLE!" kinda player) what would be good out of the two in a melee fight? Before anyone says "LAWLZ Syamemaru j00 noob why would you use a techer for melee combat?". It's because I like to mix my attacks up a bit thats why. Also I'd like to take hits too because, even though I'm good at dodging, I'm not THAT good.

Pillan
Sep 1, 2009, 02:52 PM
First, it's a fairly outdated argument to say that an Acrotecher should focus on tech based attacks just because it ends in the word "techer" for the same reason it's invalid to say that about Guntecher and Wartecher. Honestly, an Acrotecher with mid-high element daggers and whips can outperform any tech-based equivalent. That's not to say that there aren't some situations where you would prefer tech use, but in pure damage, melee wins.

And, in the melee damage area, Wartecher wins purely from access to Majarra 21.

Rhea-Licious
Oct 10, 2009, 12:55 PM
This is for my buddy Logan on the PS2/PC servers. He knows how I feel about Wartecher. And all I have to say is...."WT sux...." no offense if other people prefer to use that horrid class. :x

Gibdozer
Oct 12, 2009, 09:07 PM
Well I really like the melee options that Wartecher gives you. Sure if all your planning on using are whips and daggers then AT is worth it just for access to S rank mags, but having two handed melee options with those daggers and whips is much more intense.

For me AT gets stale really fast, it almost feels like half a class. Obviously WT is one of the most versatile classes in the game, and that alone makes it very enjoyable to play. It lends itself to random parties well, by allowing you to play fighter in weak parties, and bombard enemies with techs in powerful parties.

As far as buffs, since the vast majority of players are straight melee or gunners you won't get many complaints(just don't buff over other techers). I think even those who favor AT will admit that WT is a good class for building towards AT.

For instance if you've only played melee classes before and never leveled a technique WT is probably better for you than trying to jump straight into AT. If you do go WT you will need to buy a har quick, since casting speed is terrible without one.

Tru Reaper
Oct 13, 2009, 04:35 PM
I love wartecher on a beast.

If your not a beast go Acro very nice to have in a hard mission.

CeasOne
Oct 13, 2009, 06:14 PM
Acro are very nice in partys. Choose a debuff to level "Ide suggest Zalure if your going to be rockin' whips" Keep your party buffed and healed , debuff to leech xp and go crazy with your whips.

Pillan
Oct 13, 2009, 09:25 PM
I personally would advise against debuffing in a good team because the spawn will be dead in the time between casting the debuff and striking with your whip to begin the Exact Attack chain. With or without the debuff, it's already dying in the same number of hits, which results in no loss in clear speed.