PDA

View Full Version : Science says what I've been saying all along.

Kent
Sep 1, 2009, 03:56 PM
Tetris makes your brain more awesomer.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M., Sept. 1 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Researchers at the Mind Research Network today announced the findings of a scientific study that used brain imaging and Tetris to investigate whether practice makes the brain efficient because it increases gray matter. Over a three-month period, adolescent girls practiced Tetris, a computer game requiring a combination of cognitive skills. The girls who practiced showed greater brain efficiency, consistent with earlier studies. Compared to controls, the girls that practiced also had a thicker cortex, but not in the same brain areas where efficiency occurred.

Article: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/brain-imaging-shows-playing-tetris,943856.shtml
PDF report: http://www.biomedcentral.com/imedia/1313711047268634_article.pdf

Now I have to track down all those people who were telling me that video games rot your brain. Also, I have to track down the jackasses from my college classes who would talk crap about me playing Tetris during breaks.

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Sep 1, 2009, 04:13 PM
Neat find. =^.^=

amtalx
Sep 1, 2009, 04:27 PM
Personally, I can't stand Tetris, but all puzzle games show some level of improvement in pattern recognition and cognitive skills.

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 1, 2009, 04:38 PM
The brain can be exercised just like any muscle in your body. Tetris requires you to make logical choices at a progressively faster rate. It follows that Tetris would register some degree of improvement in cognition.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 1, 2009, 05:15 PM
Tetris is more enjoyable for women anyway, so the study doesn't count.

Proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMKTdrQqpNk&feature=player_embedded

[spoiler-box]:wacko:[/spoiler-box]

Volcompat321
Sep 1, 2009, 05:20 PM
Haha that was such a stupid song, but for some reason, I watched the whole thing.

Vanzazikon
Sep 2, 2009, 03:15 AM
Stupid yet catchy so it deserves a high five.

*Fires up Tetris*

Tetsaru
Sep 2, 2009, 07:33 AM
Of course playing Tetris can make you smarter! It teaches spatial and organizational skills at a steady to fast pace, and it also helps improve hand-eye coordination, like any other video game. It was developed by a Russian mathematician, after all. Anyone who says video games don't make you smarter are probably the same people who only watch other people play them for about a minute and think they're a waste of time, and/or have poor coordination skills themselves.

Still, I find it kinda odd that women tend to enjoy Tetris more (funny video, btw), but now that you mention it, I knew a girl in high school band that liked to always beat my high scores. :3

Split
Sep 2, 2009, 01:19 PM
Thought this was already proven/obvious...

stukasa
Sep 3, 2009, 12:30 PM
I used to love Tetris, it was one of my favorite Game Boy games. :3 Those songs were really catchy too, they're still stuck in my head even though I haven't played the game in 10+ years! If I start humming it my sister will start humming it too. :lol: I'm not surprised by that article at all since you have to learn to think faster to keep up at the higher levels.