PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Foods

Kylie
Sep 1, 2009, 06:14 PM
It's no secret that food can ease depression. In fact, some people take it too far; nevertheless, I'm sure you have some foods that help you get over your blues. What are they?

Volcompat321
Sep 1, 2009, 06:18 PM
I don't have any specific food, and I'm rarely in the blues, but I love macaroni and cheese.
Does that count?
I could eat that shtuff all week if I wanted to.

Alnet
Sep 1, 2009, 06:24 PM
I would suppose baked macaroni and cheese. It's the only food my mom will cook that's not eaten at breakfast, and we always make it together, so it's got love in every bite. :wacko:

Nitro Vordex
Sep 1, 2009, 06:27 PM
Carrots. I love 'em.

Kent
Sep 1, 2009, 06:30 PM
A lot of people look at macaroni and cheese as a comfort food, actually.

Me? Sweet potatoes. Baked, fried, grilled, in a pie, on a sandvich... I can't think of a bad way to serve it.

Kylie
Sep 1, 2009, 06:44 PM
Cindy and chips for me. Pretty much anything completely unhealthy and delicious.

Randomness
Sep 1, 2009, 07:29 PM
Uh... soda.

Volcompat321
Sep 1, 2009, 07:46 PM
A lot of people look at macaroni and cheese as a comfort food, actually.

I wouldn't have guessed that.
For me, it's simple, easy to make, and cheap.

Mike
Sep 1, 2009, 08:43 PM
Pizza. I live in an area with no pizza parlors or delivery. The only pizza is frozen junk that doesn't hold a candle to hot, fresh pizza.

CrimsomWolf
Sep 2, 2009, 03:00 AM
Lasaghna.

And chocolate cookies. Well, almost anything sweet really...

Vanzazikon
Sep 2, 2009, 03:04 AM
BBQ Ribs. <3

kskott
Sep 2, 2009, 04:23 AM
When I'm depressed I eat salad.

DreXxiN
Sep 2, 2009, 07:17 AM
MEAT BABY MMMMMMMMMMMM!

SabZero
Sep 2, 2009, 07:21 AM
Warm vanilla pudding.

Tetsaru
Sep 2, 2009, 07:38 AM
You can't go wrong with some good ice cream. I love that Snickers brand ice cream that has the chocolate and caramel in it, or just the ice cream bars. <3

Mysterious-G
Sep 2, 2009, 08:19 AM
When I'm depressed I eat salad.

Hell yeah, a spicy(!) salad works wonders!

Outrider
Sep 2, 2009, 11:21 AM
Two simple meals that I really enjoy:

- My mom makes a simple pasta dish with rigatoni, grilled chicken, broccoli, and a few other random vegetables in a light olive oil-based sauce. It's amazing and delicious and I eat many plates of it whenever I have it.

- I love when my girlfriend's mom makes quesadillas and homemade beans. It's so entirely basic but I swear to God I could eat serving after serving of this for hours.

Shou
Sep 2, 2009, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't have guessed that.
For me, it's simple, easy to make, and cheap.
It's more of a black person thing though. A lot of black families eat it at Thanksgiving too.

Outrider
Sep 2, 2009, 12:31 PM
It's more of a black person thing though. A lot of black families eat it at Thanksgiving too.

That's... not really true. Mac & Cheese is a popular comfort food for families of varying ethnicities.

Anduril
Sep 2, 2009, 01:53 PM
Spaghetti with grilled chicken. Spaghetti makes everything better. Or a bolillo with hot chocolate, yeah, that works too.

MasterSpark
Sep 2, 2009, 01:57 PM
I'll have to break the topic question and say Coca-cola. It remedies the blues, boosts the heights and make everything appear more pleasant in general. :)

Anduril
Sep 2, 2009, 02:00 PM
Well that's just becuase of the caffiene and sugar. It doesn't caress the inside of your stomach and your mind with the warm goodness of a food from childhood. Plus Coke makes me feel like this :sleep: after the caffiene and sugar highs wear off.

MasterSpark
Sep 2, 2009, 02:09 PM
You forgot to mention the awesome taste! :D

Edit: Also, Coca-cola would probably be that "food from childhood" in my case. The only other thing that I've held fast over the years is my love for pizza (the Hawaii to be precise, it's the only kind I've ever had) but since I save that one for special occasions, Coke will always have a place closer to my heart.

Majarra
Sep 2, 2009, 02:14 PM
Tough choice between lemon chicken and tacos. I love me some tacos when im sad...

Shadowpawn
Sep 2, 2009, 02:18 PM
I don't associate food with depression and I never understood how some people could. Regardless, I don't have comfort food.

SStrikerR
Sep 2, 2009, 02:39 PM
I don't associate food with depression and I never understood how some people could. Regardless, I don't have comfort food.

This. I mean, as long as it tastes good I'm happy.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 2, 2009, 02:45 PM
Beef jerky. When I'm ragin I like to chew on some dry meat. Them suckers help relieve some stress. Maybe its because I'm gnawin away on something dead instead of living.

As for depression I don't have a food. I just curl up in a ball and get all emo. That is until I hear Yakkity Sax. That bitch'll cheer anyone up.

Dragwind
Sep 2, 2009, 02:56 PM
No foods really have that effect on me, but if I were to take a guess on if they did...

mint chocolate chip ice cream, soda, chips, fried and greasy foods in general.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 2, 2009, 03:18 PM
Also for some odd reason I do ALOT of cleaning when I'm angry.

Shadowpawn
Sep 2, 2009, 03:56 PM

I've done that before, back when I was high school I used to organize stuff in my room when I was pissed off about something.

Mysterious-G
Sep 2, 2009, 03:58 PM

Would you come to my house and get angry sometime please?

darkante
Sep 3, 2009, 04:44 AM
I wish i could bring up something.
But no, i donīt eat comfort food.

More like starving myself if iīm really down.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 3, 2009, 08:45 AM
Looks like this thread turned into a what's your favorite food kinda thread.

Also, JUNIOR MINTS.

hyperacute
Sep 3, 2009, 01:44 PM
Cauliflower cheese or cheese on toast with a ton of chili sauce. Cheese seems to feature quite prominently in my comfort foods XD

panzer_unit
Sep 3, 2009, 04:11 PM
Scotch. Maybe Jager if it's a romantic issue.
Also, poutine... not the crappy mall stuff either, it's gotta be proper.
If I'm feeling sick, nothing fixes it up like spam and onions fried up in a fire-hot curry sauce.
And scotch.

Phaesphora
Sep 4, 2009, 04:49 AM
Hm, when I want to feel comforted, I'd eat...

...belgian waffles, cream of wheat, chamomile tea with honey.

When I'm really feeling down or lonely, it's...

...mayo-noodle, popcorn, lapsang souchong.

Noblewine
Sep 9, 2009, 02:25 PM
I drink alot of soda and junk food.