PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 PA and Gameplay Changes

WBMike
Sep 1, 2009, 12:33 PM
O dear, Producer Sakai says we won't level photon arts the same way, we have to find discs either by purchasing them or by finding them in the field.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 1, 2009, 12:48 PM
O dear, Producer Sakai says we won't level photon arts the same way, we have to find discs either by purchasing them or by finding them in the field.

What!? Oh...oh come on! I HATED that crap! Leveling was better in my opinion because I didn't have to worry about hunting them things down! Oh thats so damn lame.

Amherst_Wind
Sep 1, 2009, 01:33 PM
The way I see it, with all these latest changes, is that you can't please everyone. Some people are bound to be happy with these changes (me included) but I can see why a lot of hardcore PSU players will probably not like it. I like the fact that its becoming more similar to PSO, and I dont want it to just turn into PSO, I just think some of the systems used in PSO such as the simple grinding and not having to level skills were much better. I think people should wait and see before they drama about how these changes will ruin the game etc.

Akaimizu
Sep 1, 2009, 02:28 PM
Interesting if it is true that PA levels are found or bought, like PSO. Especially since we have so many of them now. Can't say what I like better. In PSU, they were the main reason you had to grind 1000+ hours was the PA levelling. In PSO, you find them, and the power level likely found was akin to how far you levelled your character. Hard to say how much this will change things particularly since PSP1 had some pretty fast PA levelling speeds. Fast enough that regular character levelling could be seen as slower than levelling a whole arsenal of PAs. Quite opposite of PSU, mind you.

PSZ was the same about finding your tech levels, except it seems that all higher level techs are found on the field. (The store basically always had low level techs, but would swap around which ones they had. (What I call pity techs for sale just in case somebody was really unlucky in finding any of one particular tech or two. Just so you can eventually fill the pallette without too much time taken.)

The GOOD thing about not having to level PAs is that you can always fight with your best arsenal, without having to spend a lot of time with your bad stuff (just to level). That is, weakening yourself just because you need to level something. In this case, you always use the best things you have, at the right time, knowing the levels will come.

The BAD thing is we have no idea how they plan on distributing the goods, or what kind of timesink will really take the place of PA levelling. Then again, I have to remind myself how fast PSP1's PA levelling was. It's a good argument which way is better.

landman
Sep 1, 2009, 02:47 PM
I am one of the players not liking it, I know I can have a max level Photon Art if I train it, I don't know if I will have the luck to find a max level Photon Art if I'm hunting for it...

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 1, 2009, 02:55 PM
I ain't bashin the game or anything, everything else I'm fine with even the whole character port to PSP2 deal. That I can understand (because that spiffy Rattlesnake might be different lookin in the sequel). The thing with finding your PA disks was that I had horrid luck with that and always got stuck with some weird ass level (27, 23, 18, etc) and could never find a higher level disk. Forget tryin to barter with some dumb ass 30-year old basement dweller who releshed in the whole deal and purposely denied you the disks no matter what you offered him for the lulz (Oh XBox this is why I hate your community). So unless they're gonna be a bit generous with the distribution of the disks, I'm gonna be a bit weary about it. Everything else is Grade A Sexual Chocolate.

Somnia
Sep 1, 2009, 02:55 PM
As long as they don't have ridiculous drop rates like level 30 discs in PSO, maybe. This isn't bad for gunners and techers, even with the PS:P increased rates it was still boring as hell leveling bullets and techs. Fighters, well, it isn't that bad.

WBMike
Sep 1, 2009, 03:09 PM
I'm pretty meh to this, but on the bright side it stops boring PA leveling..

Shougai Pso (http://www.g-heaven.net/pso/topics/090902c.html)
You can obtain a PA Disk with a level attached to it through the following methods;
in the mission, buy it in a shop, as a reward for acquiring a title, or as an item drop.
The maximum limit of photon arts you can learn is now gone.
So you can essentially learn All photon arts even if they are skills, bullets, or technics.

I hope we learn more about what classes use which photon arts and how easy will it be to switch.

Akaimizu
Sep 1, 2009, 03:10 PM
You got a really interesting point. The end of the 36 PA limit at one time. That's probably the best *possible* aspect of this switch.

That way, your active PAs are simply limited by the arsenal you carry, not also hampered by your PA limits. That's a pretty awesome thing to know that when I go out there, and I have this certain gun. These melee weapons, these wands, and I can freely switch to any available PA for each of them without going back to my room to swap in and out PAs.

Amherst_Wind
Sep 1, 2009, 03:20 PM
Lets not forget the drop rates in the original PS:P are pretty fair, there are very few things you would have to spend hundreds of hours hunting. Plus if they're given out as rewards then I think its pretty safe to presume the rewards for the really hard achievements or high level missions will be max level PAs.

Sorans
Sep 1, 2009, 03:22 PM
I actually agree with Syamemaru, I'm gonna hate having to drop high level PAs ;/! On the other hand, I like the fact that we'll be able to learn all PAs without having to switch them *-*!

Dhylec
Sep 1, 2009, 03:51 PM
I'm pretty meh to this, but on the bright side it stops boring PA leveling..

Shougai Pso (http://www.g-heaven.net/pso/topics/090902c.html)
You can obtain a PA Disk with a level attached to it through the following methods;
in the mission, buy it in a shop, as a reward for acquiring a title, or as an item drop.
The maximum limit of photon arts you can learn is now gone.
So you can essentially learn All photon arts even if they are skills, bullets, or technics.

I hope we learn more about what classes use which photon arts and how easy will it be to switch.
Definitely an improvement over PSU's limited system. I think this is for the better of not having PA-boost events. ;3

Dragwind
Sep 1, 2009, 03:54 PM
I'm glad we have the option of finding PAs. I absolutely hate leveling PAs, probably because I've spent hundreds of hours doing so for all PA categories in PSU. I always wished we could just find leveled discs again like in PSO.

Imo, this is great.

panzer_unit
Sep 1, 2009, 04:20 PM
Aww man, I hope hunting for high-level PA discs isn't too annoying. Leveling skills was one of the things I really liked about PS:P, even after a crappy run of Plains Overload or whatever I could feel like I accomplished something because I leveled some bullets or what have you. Even in PSU it wasn't that bad, at least for skills where all you were getting past level 21 were invisible damage upgrades. Sega even had the right idea making a lot of later skills to come out have some redeeming qualities at low level like a decent initial move and fixed ATA% so you didn't have to go and fight gimped enemies until you could take on decent ones.

In terms of PSU changes this is one of those questionable ones... like dropping weapons with random elements and %'s. It made collecting a full set of <whatever> really disappointing, you fight and fight to get the item you want and then it's a gamble what element it will be... and of course your chances of getting the right element go down the more you've collected already. On the other hand it was great that PS:P made the top-tier rare weapons PA boosts more powerful than proper element on common equipment, because then it's good enough for anything except same-element enemies.

I do like doing away with the 36-PA limit though! That will make Protranser so much less of a beast to set up properly, and free up a ton of storage space.

Mike
Sep 1, 2009, 05:21 PM
Aww man, I hope hunting for high-level PA discs isn't too annoying. Leveling skills was one of the things I really liked about PS:P, even after a crappy run of Plains Overload or whatever I could feel like I accomplished something because I leveled some bullets or what have you.

I completely agree with you on this. Doing a run and not getting anything but leveling a skill meant that there was at least some reason to do the run. Having to get everything PSO style means that you could do runs and not end up with anything. I didn't have a problem with it in PSO though. We'll just have to see how it works in PSP2.

Mike
Sep 1, 2009, 06:34 PM
There's a few more points than just PA disks!

There are no more grinders, for example. Grinding is now meseta based, and there are more weapons that can change form when ground to 10.

Single character storage space has been changed to "Shared Storage" with a total of 1000 slots shared between all characters. It is also accessible from any shop in the game and items can be sent to the storage from anywhere in the game for free.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 1, 2009, 06:39 PM
The PA and grinder changes are just flat-out terrible ideas, but the expanded storage is something that should have been done a long time ago.

Oh, and changing the drop boxes to PSO's is just stupid. More catering to people who can't get over a ten year old game. Besides, PSU's boxes looked pretty cool, I think. PSO's looked like an ugly texture disaster. You know, like a lot of PSO.

WBMike
Sep 1, 2009, 09:03 PM
. COPY Pasta. Shougai Pso (http://www.g-heaven.net/pso/topics/090902c.html)

Photon Arts Changes

You will not level photon arts as you did in PSU and PSP1.
Photon Art Disks will include the Photon Art with a level attached to it.
You can find Photon Art Disks in missions, shops, or as a reward for achieving a title.
You will remember ALL photon arts you have ever learned, (side note: The 36 PA cap would be removed).

Common Storage Box

The Common Storage Box can be shared by all your characters.
You can access the common storage box at any shop.
While you are in a mission, you can send extra, unnecessary items to the common storage box, even if you are full.
Sending an item while in a mission is free!
The Max number of items stored in the storage box is 1000.
The max stack of items in the storage box now becomes 999.

No Grinders!

You will not use Upgrade Grinders to grind a weapon.
Instead you will grind them by paying with meseta!
The price is based on the “Grade” and the number of times you can grind the weapon.
The numerical value to strengthen your weapon is still random.
A weapon can change after success of grinds side note: this would be similar to the PSP1 weapon “Beefedge Raria (http://psupedia.info/index.php?title=PSP:Beefedge_Raria)“)
There is a secret the producer doesn’t want to say at this time.

Drop Item Icons

Similar to PSZero, the drop icon changed into an 8 sided shape (octahedron).
Rare Item is still a red box.
A rainbow colored shining box was also added.

Mike
Sep 1, 2009, 09:19 PM

Photon Arts Changes

You can find Photon Art Disks in missions, shops, or as a reward for achieving a title.
You will remember ALL photon arts you have ever learned, (side note: The 36 PA cap would be removed).

Common Storage Box

While you are in a mission, you can send extra, unnecessary items to the common storage box, even if you are full.

No Grinders!

The price is based on the “Grade” and the number of times you can grind the weapon.
An item can change if it “fails” a grind (side note: this would be similar to the PSP1 weapon “Beefedge Raria (http://psupedia.info/index.php?title=PSP:Beefedge_Raria)“)

Drop Item Icons

This is delicious copy pasta.

The shiny rainbow box is a "higher level" red box, according to Sakai's blog post. Some how, this is starting to feel like Pokemon.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 1, 2009, 09:21 PM
A rainbow shiny box? How FAAAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS! But seriously, PSO boxes? Its nice for nostalgia purposes but I could agree with Fuzzy, I didn't really like them boxes due to them looking like colored pixel vomit. As for the replacement of grinders...meh. It don't bother me much due to the fact the end game I had a scouter breaking amount of meseta.

blyr
Sep 1, 2009, 09:29 PM
I'm liking all of these changes so far.

As a matter of fact, my inner PSO-fangirl just joygasm'd all over the place.

It's nice about not needing grinders, either, since at higher levels you basically have millions upon millions of meseta, however I became very conservative with upgrading weapons, (sometimes not at all) due to the limit of upgrade grinders.

999 items per stack sounds erotic too.. meaning inventory space is saved x1000; however I wonder if that applies to your personal character inventory as well? (probably not.. but meh)

Only thing that once again, may be an issue, is the PA thing.. I remember all the time I spent looking for a lv. 4 Zonde disc for my newearl.. x__X hopefully it'll be much easier to find higher level discs than that, though..

Mike
Sep 1, 2009, 09:43 PM
999 items per stack sounds erotic too.. meaning inventory space is saved x1000; however I wonder if that applies to your personal character inventory as well? (probably not.. but meh)

It is likely that this only applies to storage. Being able to carry 999 scape dolls and 999 star atomizers will unbalance the game. PSP's 10 (15?) scape doll limit was a fairly large number too.

Omega-R7
Sep 1, 2009, 09:47 PM
999-items sounds like one of those 5exhotlines

im loveing all that.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 1, 2009, 09:54 PM
I'm liking all of these changes so far.

As a matter of fact, my inner PSO-fangirl just joygasm'd all over the place.

It's nice about not needing grinders, either, since at higher levels you basically have millions upon millions of meseta, however I became very conservative with upgrading weapons, (sometimes not at all) due to the limit of upgrade grinders.

Only thing that once again, may be an issue, is the PA thing.. I remember all the time I spent looking for a lv. 4 Zonde disc for my newearl.. x__X hopefully it'll be much easier to find higher level discs than that, though..

*hands blyr a mop* Hurry up and clean your mess up before them Japanese businessmen get wind of it. You know how they are. On topic I know your pain my dear. Like I said before it was a pain in the ass for me. I think I had a lvl.30 Megid disk that was given to me through...unconventional means. That was my only high level disk too.

unicorn
Sep 1, 2009, 10:21 PM
All those techs I had 31+ and 41+ ?

Well I guess I'll never see them again if I have to find them. I have the worst luck. =(

It would be nice if you can level them up OR find them though... If thats what everyone is talking about.

WBMike
Sep 1, 2009, 10:30 PM
Changing it to say this:

A weapon can change after the outcome of grinds (side note: this would be similar to the PSP1 weapon “Beefedge Raria (http://psupedia.info/index.php?title=PSP:Beefedge_Raria)“)

Beefedge Raria, to Beefedge Media

Omega-R7
Sep 1, 2009, 10:37 PM
ok what the deal with the beef weapons

Kanju
Sep 1, 2009, 10:58 PM
It would be nice if you can level them up OR find them though.

I'd much prefer if you could have both. That way you could at least complete leveling them yourself.

Blueblur
Sep 1, 2009, 10:59 PM
The more PSP2 resembles PSO the happier I get. All that's missing are Telepipes and MAGs. Make it happen, Sega. >:)

WBMike
Sep 1, 2009, 11:31 PM
ok what the deal with the beef weapons

The deal is that there are going to be a few weapons which will change to a new weapon when you grind them.
For example in PSP1 if you grinded Beefedge Raria to it's max it then changed to Beegedge Media.

Volcompat321
Sep 1, 2009, 11:34 PM
Eh...I'm not sure I like this.
I loved leveling PA's, and hated PSO's "PA" system.

landman
Sep 1, 2009, 11:35 PM
Not only bad luck finding discs, but this also means that a ranger or a hunter can find the discs, and use them in a new character, so they are playing a newbie force with better techniks than yours... In my opinion leveling Photon Arts was one of the best things PSU had.

Mike
Sep 1, 2009, 11:42 PM
At least the PAs aren't attached to specific weapons like PS0.

landman
Sep 2, 2009, 12:01 AM
The max number of Scape Dolls you can carry in PSØ are 3, this would be funny in PSU xD

I'm glad about the storage changes, nothing more...

Volcompat321
Sep 2, 2009, 12:11 AM
At least the PAs aren't attached to specific weapons like PS0.

Huh? That's PSØ not O right?

The max number of Scape Dolls you can carry in PS are 3, this would be funny in PSU xD

I'm glad about the storage changes, nothing more...

Same with PS:P1, max scape dolls are 3 (10 in JP).
I do love the whole entire storage thing they changed. Makes everything so much easier.

Mike
Sep 2, 2009, 12:21 AM
Huh? That's PSØ not O right?
Yes, that was a zero.

WBMike
Sep 2, 2009, 12:26 AM
Ya but this x999 stack only applies to the storage. You won't be running around with x999 Scape Dolls. Which would be wonderful though.;3

Volcompat321
Sep 2, 2009, 01:56 AM
Of course not.
That would be horrible.
You don't need many scapes to begin with, why need 999?
Also, even having a common box and storage of over 300 is great.
I had to sell so much decent things in PS:P1.

panzer_unit
Sep 2, 2009, 10:25 AM

OH MAN. The number of times I or my teammates have missed boss drops because of full inventory! I hope the option of sending to storage fixes that.

lol I wonder what the secret is? Maybe game deletes your save the moment you choose to start grinding a weapon, so you can't just do the grind-and-reset thing to make sure you get the "good" result on breakable stuff.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 2, 2009, 11:50 AM
Maybe the secret is that Kevin Spacey is really Keyser Soze or that Bruce Willis is really dead at the end of 6th Sense. Or it could be that Arnold Schwarzennegar was really supposed to kill the devil at the end of "End Of Days". Who knows. Maybe Vivienne comes back in PSP2?

panzer_unit
Sep 2, 2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah but how does that figure in with grinding?

Unless you're talking about grinding a revived Vivienne. For meseta. Woah. *nosebleed*

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 2, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hell if I know. Besides the two people I don't want coming back are Nav and Viv. I hope thats the producer's secret. But knowing my luck I'll end up seeing that old bastard and lil miss goody two shoes. Deep down I hope its a PA where you shove your saber in a monster's face and kick it in with your foot.

unicorn
Sep 2, 2009, 05:13 PM
Scenario: Fighter in party gets "Megid LVL50"

Fighter: "Anyone want?"
Techer: "Yes please....I've been looking for months and all I have is my LVL 43 one still..."
Fighter: "Okay, well just gimme 10 mil"
Techer: ".... :("

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 2, 2009, 05:48 PM

Techer: "Yes please....I've been looking for months and all I have is my LVL 43 one still..."

Oh how true that scenario was.

DreXxiN
Sep 2, 2009, 08:10 PM

*Sigh* This....

I really was "joygasming" until I saw this..I really don't like this.

Just more for the game to be based on luck over, as if PSU needed ANY MORE of that. ;(

Mike
Sep 2, 2009, 08:20 PM

It all depends on how drops work. If they work like they did in PSP1, then everyone gets the disk and all is good. If it doesn't, better prepare that meseta.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 2, 2009, 08:21 PM
I guess I'll have to keep telling myself "At least your gettin exp, LAWLZ!" and just grumblin about how much I hate searching for PAs.

Amherst_Wind
Sep 2, 2009, 08:38 PM

Well if Meseta is as easy to get hold of in PS:P2 as it was in PS:Portable, then the Techer would be more likely to respond with "Sure, why not have 20 mil, on me!"

Something tells me it won't be as easy to rake in the Meseta in the sequel though...

Also, I always presumed that the 'everyone gets the drop' system in the original was because you didn't have the ability to drop weapons and such. The sequel (surely?) has to have this feature now, so maybe they will remove the 'everyone gets the drop' system?

Sorans
Sep 2, 2009, 08:38 PM
Ugh! Hope they come up with a good plan T_T or I'm gonna hate it too!

Burnsro
Sep 2, 2009, 08:50 PM
Hey guys meseta is useful again! You can use it on discs and grinding, congrats. :panda:

landman
Sep 3, 2009, 12:50 AM
I don't think meseta will be a limited good, so trading an invaluable item like tat for meseta would be a waste, if I was the fighter I would say "I'm missing jabroga and majarra lvl 50, do you have any of those for trade?" ;)

A trade/shop system could be interesting, you join a random party, and you can check their items in the shop then you make business xD

Mysterious-G
Sep 3, 2009, 02:37 AM
We don't even know if there will be lvl 50 PAs.
I could see them just putting lvl 30 as a limit.

But meh, doesn't really matter to me. :)
Just gives me more to hunt! I enjoyed PSOs system! I never felt the strong need to have high level techniques, but when one dropped it was a nice little bonus. ;)

3R
Sep 3, 2009, 08:27 AM
Well, along with the chain system, we'll see no more PA spamming, thats pretty good I think, on the other hand it could be pretty unfair for new characters to have maxed skills at lvl 1 or other scenarios stated here before.

R.I.P buff parties lol

Akaimizu
Sep 3, 2009, 09:58 AM
Well, if it is like the old PSO techs, level 1 characters wouldn't be able to have maxed out skills, because their statistics for gaining said skill level wont be high enough to learn them. Plus, who knows if it'll also be like PSO techs in the way that higher levels wont drop for you, or appear in the store for you, unless you are of a high enough level to see them. That is, you'll need a higher level friend to help you obtain higher levels. On the other hand, if the PA levels do have stat requirements, I think we wont have any worry about characters , too low level, having high level stuff.

PSZ has the PSO system for gaining techs, and it's pretty much done in the same way.

panzer_unit
Sep 3, 2009, 11:12 AM
Well if Meseta is as easy to get hold of in PS:P2 as it was in PS:Portable, then the Techer would be more likely to respond with "Sure, why not have 20 mil, on me!"

Something tells me it won't be as easy to rake in the Meseta in the sequel though...

Also, I always presumed that the 'everyone gets the drop' system in the original was because you didn't have the ability to drop weapons and such. The sequel (surely?) has to have this feature now, so maybe they will remove the 'everyone gets the drop' system?

Meseta will probably be as easy to earn, but harder to hold on to if it's used to grind weapons.

I don't think you're right about why PS:P has 'everyone gets the drop'. You can drop items in single player. It's totally programmed in. You can drop clothes and low-rank skills in parties. Trading actually-usable stuff like weapons and armor got nuked to stop duping and trading hacked weapons because there's no central server to validate that players save their exchanges, and there's no trusting anything on the game client.

While it makes "oh man, my other character would LOVE this" really frustrating, even aside from the dupe/hack prevention I prefer having your character equipped exclusively with stuff that they found for themselves. Also it's a lot nicer for playing with strangers. You don't have to put up with loot ninjas, red box bandits, kickers, whiners, or being a man about it when you see the Twin Glashers you just did 30 missions just to see on the ground end up in someone else's hands.

SubstanceD
Sep 6, 2009, 06:59 AM

Photon Arts Changes

Common Storage Box

No Grinders!

A weapon can change after success of grinds side note: this would be similar to the PSP1 weapon “Beefedge Raria (http://psupedia.info/index.php?title=PSP:Beefedge_Raria)“)

Drop Item Icons

I like most of the gameplay changes that are listed above but like most people I am not happy about the change in the way Photon Arts are leveled. In PSO I could never find technique discs above a certain level, I just couldn't, they would not drop ( or apear in the item store ) for me. I liked the way Photon Arts leveled up with use in the PSU games, it felt alot like a more natural rpg mechanic for them to level up that way.

Phaesphora
Sep 6, 2009, 06:44 PM
I like most of the gameplay changes that are listed above but like most people I am not happy about the change in the way Photon Arts are leveled. In PSO I could never find technique discs above a certain level, I just couldn't, they would not drop ( or apear in the item store ) for me.
Well, unless I am mistaken, the likelihood and caps of disc drops in PSO related in part to your character's Section ID. Without a Section ID system I'm thinking you won't have to worry about a limit to the discs you can find.

My hope is that unused discs can be traded, as there are many PAs I will have no need of.