PDA

View Full Version : What class/race combination?

Lakshun
Sep 8, 2009, 01:42 PM
I read a good deal of the guides and looked at the stats and equipment tables of the classes, but I'm still not sure how they really perform in battle.

I played PSO for a long time and wondering how some of the class/race combinations compare to PSO classes.

I think of making either a beast fortefighter or a cast fortegunner.
Could you tell me the ups and downs of these?

In PSO I preferred Ramar and Humar.
Is a cast fortegunner comparable to a Ramar in PSO?
He/she should have the highest accuracy and pretty good attack?
How about healing? I heard in PSU it's only possible to use techs when using a rod (or other force weapon), so if I'd want to heal with techs, I'd have to switch weapons every time?
Then, how about using only items? Is it as difficult as in PSO or can you get by more easily (I always played fleshies in PSO, because items weren't nearly enough for me).
Also, are there situations where you absolutely need melee weapons, like the lizards in BB?

Then, is the beast/fortefighter combo comparable to a Hucast in PSO?
How about accuracy, if I want a strong fighter that has reliable accuracy, should I rather use another race with this class? Or a different class altogether, like Fighgunner?

Thanks.

PS: What's the point of the master types?
Their advantages over the fortefighter/fortegunner/fortetecher don't seem to really outweigh the disadvantages.
And what about traps? I never played a cast in PSO, are traps important in PSU or something you use ever now and then?

NDW
Sep 8, 2009, 02:53 PM
I think of making either a beast fortefighter or a cast fortegunner.
Could you tell me the ups and downs of these?
Pros:
- Beasts receive a 3% bonus to all stats when playing as Fortefighter
- CASTs receive a 3% bonus to all stats when playing as Fortegunner
- Fortefighter and Fortegunner have a variety of weapons to choose from

Cons:
- A Fighmaster can out DPS a Fortefighter
- A Gunmaster can out DPS a Fortegunner
- Fighmaster and Gunmaster have limited weapon selection

In PSO I preferred Ramar and Humar.
Is a cast fortegunner comparable to a Ramar in PSO?
He/she should have the highest accuracy and pretty good attack?
Male CAST Gunmaster have the highest ATA and good ATP (surprisingly after the AOTI Supplemental Update (http://bit.ly/iaHBp), Gunmasters will receive an ATP increase, even though it doesn't need it).

How about healing? I heard in PSU it's only possible to use techs when using a rod (or other force weapon), so if I'd want to heal with techs, I'd have to switch weapons every time?
Yes, if you want to use Resta, you'll have to use a rod, wand or TCSM. But, dimates and trimates are sufficient for classes that cannot use TECHNIC weapons.

Also, are there situations where you absolutely need melee weapons, like the lizards in BB?
Some creatures have 50% resistances against one or more of the three types of attacks (striking, ranged, TECHNICs).

There are a couple of missions that require a ranged weapon to hit a certain things (e.g. the debris above the Zonde traps in the beginning of 'The Egg Thieves').

Then, is the beast/fortefighter combo comparable to a Hucast in PSO?
How about accuracy, if I want a strong fighter that has reliable accuracy, should I rather use another race with this class? Or a different class altogether, like Fighgunner?
HUcasts have the highest ATP in PSO. Beast Fortefighters have the highest ATP in PSU. So yes, they do compare as far as stats.

The most popular races that are played for fighter classes are beasts and CASTs. Beasts have higher ATP, but CASTs have SUVs which sway most of the players to play CASTs anyway.

As far as picking a class, just try out what you think you might be interested in and evaluate the class yourself and see if you want to stick to it or choose another class to try.

PS: What's the point of the master types?
Their advantages over the fortefighter/fortegunner/fortetecher don't seem to really outweigh the disadvantages.
When played right, a master class can out perform their respective forte class almost all of the time.

And what about traps? I never played a cast in PSO, are traps important in PSU or something you use ever now and then?
For Protransers, traps are used very often. For other classes, traps are used every now and then when the situation is right.

EDIT: Also, inb4 move to Gameplay, Guides & Walkthroughs (http://pso-world.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28).

Pillan
Sep 8, 2009, 03:14 PM
Note that in PSU, only classes that end in the word "techer" have access to techniques at all. So, if you wanted something more RAmar-like you'd have to play Guntecher. Probably the closest thing you can get to PSO's RAmar is a Cast Guntecher. However, Guntecher is a bit too weak right now, so most people don't like it.

Also note that accuracy isn't a very important stat for hunter classes because melee gear has higher accuracy and Skills have much higher accuracy modifiers than bullets, making a Beast Fortefighter's accuracy comparable to a Cast Gunmaster with a shotgun.

As a note on Master classes, they have higher speed and accuracy with a higher photon art cap than their Forte-equivalents at the cost of everything else. This generally gives them a faster clear time. It's actually a very favorable trade in the long run, especially on appropriate missions, though the S rank gear requirement makes it impossible early on.

Also don't forget that you can change classes at any time in PSU, so it may be simpler to just choose Beast or Cast and play all the classes you want as them. Beasts aren't bad rangers in the long run because Fortegunner and Gunmaster have ridiculous accuracy modifiers (read as arguably the best) and Casts are clearly second best hunters or better if the Beast can't kill in fewer hits.

Traps can pretty much be ignored as long as you're not playing Protranser. I'd recommend sticking to the G series traps and using them to inflict minor damage and an instant status effect level 3 to up to 5 targets around the trap by detonating them at your leisure. EX traps are the Protranser exclusive version which annihilates up to 5 targets over a wide area for heavy damage over an extended period of time in addition to inflicting status effect level 3. They're nothing like PSO's traps, so it's not really worth comparing.

Shou
Sep 8, 2009, 03:26 PM
If you are wondering what race is the the best for each jobclass its:

Newman- Fortetecher, Masterforce

Cast- Everything Else

str898mustang
Sep 8, 2009, 03:55 PM
If you are wondering what race is the the best for each jobclass its:

Cast- Everything Else

more like

Cast - Gunner, Fighter

if ur willing to pull the Paradi out of ur ass(Human, Beast) - Fighter

Pillan
Sep 8, 2009, 04:36 PM
Unless you're one of the few people that still believe Acrotecher Diga can keep up with Acrotecher Spinning Strike (much less a good skill), everything else is a hunter or ranger class.

That being said, every race/class combination aside from Beast or Cast Fortetecher or Masterforce works out well enough for you to have an easy time in the game. It's just Beast works out better than human or Newman at every other choice from Nanoblasts and the significant damage increase, and generally Cast works out better than that between the insignificant damage drop from Beast, highest accuracy, and Paradi Cataract.

Lakshun
Sep 8, 2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks a lot.

One last question, how do multiple classes work?
Does everything stack or do you only get part of the bonuses of the classes other than the one you are currently?

Pillan
Sep 8, 2009, 04:41 PM
Each class is independent of one another. So, if you switch from Fortefighter to Fortegunner, for the first time the class will be level 1 and you'll need to get the same amount of mission points to get its class level up to par. Your level in another class has no effect on your current class, aside from fulfilling the requirement to play it.

You can switch classes at the type counter on the fifth floor of the Guardian Colony. I recommend playing through the tutorial mission as it explains all of this plus it gives you your first NPC partner card, a free photon art (Rising Strike), and an overview of game play and the city.

Yusaku_Kudou
Sep 8, 2009, 05:31 PM
Bah, I'm a newman everything non-techer and I have no trouble whatsoever in keeping up with my CAST and beast friends, and I tend to outdamage most every plain Jane or Joe out there anyway. You just have to work harder and that's what I like about it... and newman acrofighter is pretty sick. I've seen my RCSM damage go over 1000 consistently without a critical.

The_Brimada
Sep 8, 2009, 05:36 PM
Am I the only person who prefers human for acrofighter/techer? :o

Yeah it is pretty much cast everything but MF/FT though simply because of the win button gives the advantage.

Lakshun
Sep 9, 2009, 08:02 AM
Each class is independent of one another. So, if you switch from Fortefighter to Fortegunner, for the first time the class will be level 1 and you'll need to get the same amount of mission points to get its class level up to par. Your level in another class has no effect on your current class, aside from fulfilling the requirement to play it.

You can switch classes at the type counter on the fifth floor of the Guardian Colony. I recommend playing through the tutorial mission as it explains all of this plus it gives you your first NPC partner card, a free photon art (Rising Strike), and an overview of game play and the city.
That wasn't what I asked.
Is it like in D&D 3rd edition or AD&D?
Like, I am a lvl 20 fortegunner with 1000 attack and 1000 accuracy, then switch to fortefighter at lvl 1 and lvl up to lvl 2.
Do the stat bonuses stack, do I get the fortefighter lvl 2 bonus on top of the 1000 attack and 1000 accuracy?
Or when switching from fortegunner to frotefighter, do my stats change, like attack gets modified to 700 (or whatever) and my accuracy to 400?

Same for equipment, can I only equip stuff available to the class I currently have or anything anytime for all classes I have?
Like, when I'm fortegunner and switch to fortefighter, can I still equip S-rank guns?

The_Brimada
Sep 9, 2009, 09:15 AM
That wasn't what I asked.
Is it like in D&D 3rd edition or AD&D?
Like, I am a lvl 20 fortegunner with 1000 attack and 1000 accuracy, then switch to fortefighter at lvl 1 and lvl up to lvl 2.
Do the stat bonuses stack, do I get the fortefighter lvl 2 bonus on top of the 1000 attack and 1000 accuracy?
Or when switching from fortegunner to frotefighter, do my stats change, like attack gets modified to 700 (or whatever) and my accuracy to 400?

Same for equipment, can I only equip stuff available to the class I currently have or anything anytime for all classes I have?
Like, when I'm fortegunner and switch to fortefighter, can I still equip S-rank guns?

Each type has their own modifiers that aren't effected by the other types they have leveled. Stat bonuses do not stack when switching to another type. Each type also has their own specific weapon types they can use, leveling another type doesn't bring over their weaponry to the next type.

Just look here http://psupedia.info/Types

Keilyn
Sep 9, 2009, 08:08 PM
Lakshun...If you wonder if its like Dungeons and Dragons....It really is not.

Dungeons and Dragons has you create a character and stay within the profession. You can make dual-class characters and multi-class characters. The difference was that one of them you even-leveled the classes...the others you finished one class and started level 1 to the other class and could not go back to the primary class.

In Phantasy Star Universe you have your base stats....each modified accordingly by the level of the type. The type can go up to level 20. At anytime you can switch back and forth between types.

Each type (Job) has the following:

~Maximum Cap of PAs
~Restrictions by rank on the weapon one can use
~Abilities restricted to that class

Unlike Dungeons and Dragons where the Character Level is directly associated to the overall ability of the character, PSU breaks up character and type levels to make them independent of one another...

Your character level can reach to level 160 so far, which will increase your base stats.
Your Job/Type level can reach up to 20 which controls the modifier for your base stats.
Your skill/bullet/tech PA level possible through a mastertype is 50.

Dungeons and Dragons = Proficiencies, Attributes and Character Levels are class levels.

Whereas Dungeons and Dragons is more Oriented towards "classes" themselves....PSU is much more Race/Gender Oriented where all characters share their Racial Strengths and Weaknesses through ALL JOBS as well as the job strength and weakness applied to them.

This makes some characters better suited for different jobs but it gives a uniqueness as it gives every possible chance to raise a good character even at a job that they are not suited for, along with a different play and feel.

You play any class in Dungeons and Dragons and the Class Packages has 80 - 90% of what a class is capable off even with the attributes and Race/Gender.

PSU is one of the few games where male and female characters play differently but are setup in a way that a male/female pair complement one another....unlike other games where male/female has no bearing on performance....

I hope this helps ^_^