PDA

View Full Version : Sad PSO story (in a Japanese bargain bin)

Sayl
Sep 9, 2009, 11:16 PM
*EDIT: SAD PSZ story

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/09/10/ps_zero_for_cheap/

PSO in the bargain bin for about 5$ in Japan.

What has the world come to? The namesake of Phantasy Star should alone push the game to sell even if the game did/does suck.I know this is a gross oversimplification of a process of supply/demand and distribution that may or may not be caused by a lack of consumer interest in the product but any scenario is certainly not one that a Phantasy Star title should be involved in.Perhaps this is just a product of the new age of instant widespread information. Perhaps PSO in some versions has failed to be commercially successful but the difference now is just how informed we are about it. Aggressive game blogs certainly where not as wide spread in the days of GC PSO EP 1 & 2, but I assume it being a game on a system that was not that popular, with a monthly subscription and a modem that was not supported past one game and of course no GC keyboard for US release like the Japanese had; it is safe to assume perhaps PSO EP 1 & 2 for GC might have not done very well either.

Shame on you world, PSO was online gaming in the comfort of your couch well before XBOXlive put it on the mainstream with a pretty bland FPS featuring space marines.

Quintus_The_Force
Sep 9, 2009, 11:31 PM
Sounds kinda reasonable.... The game is old as hell afterall lol

EDIT:

Oh wait.. that says
ZERO FOR $5
omggggggg... I thought PS Online was $5 not Zero.. How much was Portable a year after its release? cuz It got a sequel....

ill be back in a couple days... let this soak in.. :(

Mike
Sep 10, 2009, 12:07 AM
How much was Portable a year after its release? cuz It got a sequel....
It hasn't gotten it's sequal yet. Anyways, the original Portable can still sickenly be found for full retail price in some stores. The "greatest hits" version comes out at the begining of next month for around 2000 yen (twenty dollars, give or take). Used copies are going for around the equivalent of five dollars on Yahoo auction and around ten dollars at used game stores.

SirTopps
Sep 10, 2009, 01:34 AM
looks like candy now im hungry

landman
Sep 10, 2009, 02:56 AM
The PSP is a hardcore system in Japan, the DS is a casual system, casual systems sell casual games, PSŲ is not a casual game. I see the games on the DS RIP if the western sales are not more than great, but to be honest, I would prefer a game in any other system (for better graphics mainly).

Arikado
Sep 10, 2009, 07:01 AM
Well they still sold around 91k copies of PSZ which isn't that bad if you ask me, PSZ is still more successful than PSO EP3 (The card game.) and PSO PC version. (It also sold more copies than the original PSO on Dreamcast.)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=26763 PSZ sales.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=1727&region=All PSO v1 DC sales.

Quintus_The_Force
Sep 10, 2009, 11:01 AM
hahahah LMAO Arikado answered my next questions before they were even asked... freakin weird

thanks man

Akaimizu
Sep 11, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'm hoping it does better in the West. Mainly because people are still *hungry* for a full internet-playable portable online action-rpg. I know a lot of people are already calling out for (PSP2), but I kind of dig this first foray into a different (but more PSO-inspired) system. It deserves better given that it has some great ideas, some nice execution...and is just one sequel away from being unarguably the best DS online dungeon hacker. In a way, it already is. Multiplayer-wise, they outdid Final Fantasy.

Then again, I don't want sales of PSP1 to deter PSP2 coming to the states here. I guess I want to show the Phantasy Star love and help them be successful. Even PSP is easily the PSP's best traditional dungeon hacker on the system. And as much as I tout about it, nearly everywhere, it's not enough to convince the masses without direct internet support. (And to tell the truth, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite suffers the same fate. No infrastructure support, for a game made for multiplayer, hurts Western sales.)

Burnsro
Sep 11, 2009, 01:41 PM
VGChartz is not a reliable website. At all. Not even close. Blueblur will back me up on this one.

Burnsro
Sep 11, 2009, 01:42 PM
PSP2 for the Americas should be download only like Capcom's Fate/Unlimited Blade Works is. That way no one can pirate it. Which is the real reason why it didn't sell well.

Akaimizu
Sep 11, 2009, 02:41 PM
Hard to say. But one other thing to gauge is how many people are doing the xlink-kai thing with it. While Monster Hunter does enjoy some online success with it (even for western players), there's hardly a game online for PSP, at all by Western players.

Burnsro
Sep 11, 2009, 11:05 PM
SEGA will continue to make RPGs for the DS since 7th Dragon sold well. A new Phantasy Star just won't be one of them.

SirTopps
Sep 11, 2009, 11:16 PM
well im going to buy one . and i um....gosh it might not sell well. but if you get the word out and see all these people like screw attack and ign praise the dreamcast and praise pso as one of their top games. well maybe more people will see this and be like hmmm. who knows. it could happen .

SirTopps
Sep 11, 2009, 11:39 PM
well how would you know. the game didnt even come out here yet. and yeah i know you imported it. well thats what you get. it looks fine to me. i liked pso. after i hated it. i mean i got it cuz i wanted to go online. but i couldnt find a modem . i played it. it was like weird to me. and then i got that modem got online it became so great to me. i loved it. and now i play it offline again and its pretty cool. i hope psz does the same for me. i dont think it will be as good. but its sure to be some kind of fun.

xSHiNOx
Sep 12, 2009, 01:32 AM
it will be dead within 3 months. players will burn through the levels in one week, find out theres no good items 2 months in and get sick of turning it on by the end of the 3rd month.
thats the only thing i agree on. for me i stopped playing after getting so far and realizing the good weapons are hard to get from the eternal tower

SirTopps
Sep 12, 2009, 01:34 AM
hmm thats sad to hear. i kinda am secretly wanting some dupes right about now.

Quintus_The_Force
Sep 12, 2009, 01:37 AM
7th Dragon? *looks up that game*

Arikado
Sep 12, 2009, 06:52 AM
Thanks mods.

SirTopps
Sep 12, 2009, 05:26 PM
lol well . i kinda miss control. but i warned him!

xSHiNOx
Sep 12, 2009, 06:29 PM
you shouldnt miss a troll ever, topps. they dont deserve anyone's time. seriously though, wtf was his problem? im guessing hes a psp fanboy and hates ds and psz

Burnsro
Sep 12, 2009, 07:14 PM
PS0 is so much better than PSP2 because it has a better artist ie. the guy who did Lunar. Let's create a group on how great Lunar is.

Arikado
Sep 12, 2009, 07:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiLLN5U9w2U

HELL YES LUNAR.

Burnsro
Sep 12, 2009, 07:59 PM
Okay I created the group please join! Here is the group description,

Lunar is better than PSP2 because it contains artwork by Toshiyuki Kubooka and by that extension so is PSŲ. If you believe this truth is self evident then please by all means join this group. You can also discuss The iDOLM@STER since Mr. Kubooka did the character designs for that as well.

SirTopps
Sep 12, 2009, 08:07 PM
im just saying i miss him cuz he was fun lol. lol lol. ohhh lol maybe im twisted

Burnsro
Sep 12, 2009, 08:09 PM
Don't worry I'll always be here.

SirTopps
Sep 12, 2009, 08:21 PM
yeah but youre not fun like control. and his twisted views on the world lol. liking psz= brain damage. but liking pso psp well thats ok. what a goon. but i so warned him. but whatever. lets go on with our conflict free lives.

Burnsro
Sep 12, 2009, 08:29 PM
No.

SirTopps
Sep 12, 2009, 08:49 PM
no what?

Burnsro
Sep 12, 2009, 08:58 PM
No way.

SirTopps
Sep 12, 2009, 09:43 PM
well i was just saying control was saying bad stuff about psz. and even tho he is gone it was still funny. but yeah im glad hes gone.

Quintus_The_Force
Sep 12, 2009, 10:30 PM
he get banned finally for flaming? and YES the Lunar series is freakin awesome

SirTopps
Sep 12, 2009, 10:38 PM
i still had a hoot with that guy

KyuPoP
Sep 22, 2009, 03:06 PM
I bought my copy of PSO for the Xbox, ep I and II for 3 dollars. But, it was used.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 22, 2009, 03:29 PM
All I have to say about Lunar was that it was my first JRPG...and I loved it. Also was Control the one who wanted a PSP Brotherhood group to troll the crap out of the PSZ section? As for the PSZ here, I'll definitly buy it due to two reasons. One is that I need something else besides Castlevania and two, because I wanna show my love.

kirtblue
Oct 15, 2009, 12:33 AM
this makes me worry what do they know that i dont ? and thats really sad i think a picture of a dead puppy would be less sad than a phantasy star game for less than five bucks im gunna go cry now