PDA

View Full Version : Hero-ism

-BK-
Feb 22, 2003, 04:02 PM
What makes a person a hero? Is it when they save a life? When they risk thier life for a noble cause? Does it take more than one "factor" to make them a hero? What are your thoughts about it?

ABDUR101
Feb 22, 2003, 04:27 PM
Hero. Someone who does something Heroic. Performing an action deemed heroic makes a hero. Each person has a different viewpoint on what "heroic" is.

A child's view on something heroic could be climbing a tree to get a cat down.

Doing something that causes risk to yourself in the process is a heroic act.

An example would be going back into a burning building to help someone.

-BK-
Feb 22, 2003, 06:01 PM
Thank you mister dictionary. O_o

geewj
Feb 22, 2003, 06:11 PM
Being a hero is completly subjective. What one person thinks is heroic another might think is cowardly. Or what might be a difficult and heroic task for one person might be a daily routine for another. It all depends on how your actions are viewed. Thats what i think at least.

GandorDurin
Feb 22, 2003, 06:55 PM
Hero:
1. The person who picks up an ordered pizza during a blizzard.
2. Space Ghost.
3. The inventor of the toilet.

Auracom
Feb 23, 2003, 08:30 PM
I think being a hero is acting on your emotions and morals. Anyone can be seen as a hero in a different light, it all depends on how you look at it.

Ex. Your friend is depressed and would probably commit suicide, you don't know anything about it. You just be your normal self say some stuff and cheer them up, changing their perspective on the situation.

Atari
Feb 23, 2003, 09:13 PM
i can argue that emoitions and moral thing

ok i played hockey today and the ref's were horrible and we lost and at the end of the game when we shook hands one of the coaches would not shake our captains hand, then we argued that he is the adult and knows its right, then a little fight broke out and needless to say punches were thrown, and was this right of us to start fighting, and we did act on emotion and act on moral, protecting teamate blah blah but does this give us the right to do this, not really, a hero is different in everyones eyes, george bush waging war on iraq, some people say this is good and maybe call him a hero, others may call him a terrorist

but in my eyes a hero is one that disregards their own safety to do a good deed, like if someone was about to get hit by a car and someone pushed them outta they way saving their life, but taking the risk of getting inured themself

SorceressofTime
Feb 24, 2003, 06:51 AM
On 2003-02-23 17:30, Auracom wrote:
Ex. Your friend is depressed and would probably commit suicide, you don't know anything about it. You just be your normal self say some stuff and cheer them up, changing their perspective on the situation.

*cough* that wouldn't be the best of examples to use... that's just called caring for a friend when help is needed. the time you know about it is the time when that person helping becomes a savior... but it's my point of view.

BlackRose
Feb 24, 2003, 10:21 AM
I view a hero as someone who does something extraordinary in cost to themselves (or risk of cost to themselves) without being asked to or rewarded.

Though it's a hard thing to put a definition on, as it's all subjective...

TheWhiteShadow
Feb 24, 2003, 03:45 PM
It seems that a few of you feel, as I do, that heroism involves putting the other first, foregoing personal safety. It's true. You see examples in real life, such as the FDNY, or in fiction, such as in the character Superman (my personal favourite; flame all you want, I don't care).

Guntz348
Feb 24, 2003, 03:53 PM
On 2003-02-24 03:51, SorceressofTime wrote:

On 2003-02-23 17:30, Auracom wrote:

*cough* that wouldn't be the best of examples to use... that's just called caring for a friend when help is needed. the time you know about it is the time when that person helping becomes a savior... but it's my point of view.

Yes but I would have to say that that person would consider you there hero. Like if say I was the one who was going to commit suicide and I had a gun in my hand. If a good freind then took the gun while in my hand, and pointed it at his/her chest and said "If your goning to kill your self you have to kill me because life wouldn't be worth much with out you." Then I'd have to say that person would be my hero. Although I think a better example would be say if you were in a car accident and the car was on fire and the person risked getting blown up to to save more so a hero. Well on second thought I'd have to say both acts would be pretty heroic o-O

BWS-1
Feb 24, 2003, 04:06 PM
For me, a hero isn't someone that litterally "saves the day". It's just someone that, like the veteran, has sacrificed all for his caused. But the HUGE difference between the Hero and the veteran is, that the hero went as far as sacrificing* his own life to his cause. The true heroes are always those that don't make it back to the base ...

*I mean SACRIFICED not WASTED. expemple of a waste: the sniper runs out of his hidding spot and start shooting at the ennemy base, while being extremly exposed. THAT is a WASTE.

Davion
Feb 24, 2003, 05:14 PM
Here's a quote from the prologue to my Fanfic. It sums up what I think a hero is.

Heroes. What makes a hero? Is a hero someone who knows what to do in every situation? Someone who can lead responsibly through the darkest night; or melt through a stern deposition with a smile? Is a hero someone whose very life changes the course of history, and inspires even the least of people to do the same? Not always. Most heroes are just ordinary people, who ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time and decided to stand their ground no matter the cost.

Like I said. A hero is a normal person who stands up when he/she's needed.

Ness
Feb 24, 2003, 05:41 PM
A hero is someone that risks his'her life for a good cause voluntarily.

BlackRose
Feb 24, 2003, 05:46 PM
On 2003-02-24 14:41, Ness wrote:
A hero is someone that risks his'her life for a good cause voluntarily.

But who's to say what causes are good and which are not?

IceBlink
Feb 24, 2003, 05:49 PM
Go go gadget dictionary.com!

heroism

Her"o*ism n. [F. h['e]ro["i]sme.]

The qualities characteristic of a hero, as courage, bravery, fortitude, unselfishness, etc.; the display of such qualities.

Heroism is the self-devotion of genius manifesting itself in action. --Hare.

Syn: Heroism, Courage, Fortitude, Bravery, Valor, Intrepidity, Gallantry.

Usage: Courage is generic, denoting fearlessness or defiance of danger; fortitude is passive courage, the habit of bearing up nobly under trials, danger, and sufferings; bravery is courage displayed in daring acts; valor is courage in battle or other conflicts with living opponents; intrepidity is firm courage, which shrinks not amid the most appalling dangers; gallantry is adventurous courage, dashing into the thickest of the fight. Heroism may call into exercise all these modifications of courage. It is a contempt of danger, not from ignorance or inconsiderate levity, but from a noble devotion to some great cause, and a just confidence of being able to meet danger in the spirit of such a cause. Cf. Courage.

"Ahh, the net is vast..."
--Motoko Kusanagi

Atari
Feb 24, 2003, 06:29 PM
On 2003-02-24 13:06, BWS-1 wrote:
For me, a hero isn't someone that litterally "saves the day". It's just someone that, like the veteran, has sacrificed all for his caused. But the HUGE difference between the Hero and the veteran is, that the hero went as far as sacrificing* his own life to his cause. The true heroes are always those that don't make it back to the base ...

*I mean SACRIFICED not WASTED. expemple of a waste: the sniper runs out of his hidding spot and start shooting at the ennemy base, while being extremly exposed. THAT is a WASTE.

Intresting have you ever seen black hawk down, or know about it? Ok here I go, you know those two snipers that went down to one of the hawks to protect the captain, they were in a safe spot and they chose to go down and and risk thier lives just to hold of hundreds of enemies, they had no hiding spot, so you think of a waste of a life is a sniper who does not hide but shoots at his enemy? Thats just wrong.

Vantamiath
Feb 24, 2003, 06:35 PM
Intresting have you ever seen black hawk down, or know about it? Ok here I go, you know those two snipers that went down to one of the hawks to protect the captain, they were in a safe spot and they chose to go down and and risk thier lives just to hold of hundreds of enemies, they had no hiding spot, so you think of a waste of a life is a sniper who does not hide but shoots at his enemy? Thats just wrong.

FYI, those two were the last people to recieve the Medal of Honor since Vietnam.

I think taking your life for someone elses is the greatest feat of heroism there is.

BWS-1
Feb 24, 2003, 08:07 PM
so you think of a waste of a life is a sniper who does not hide but shoots at his enemy? Thats just wrong.

First, yes I saw Black Hawk Down.

Second, those 2 are a good exemple of heroism, why? Because you said it yourself; they had NO hiding spots, and they were snipers. So they were used top strike while hidding but instead they knew they had no choises but to face the enemy, or to hide in the buildings of the city, and pray for someone to find them ... well they had hidding spot, but they were only meant for hidding, not sniping from there, besides, they had a mucho big machine gun to back em up, they decsided to take the risk to sacrifice themselves by keeping the road clear.

And in my exemple, I was stating that it was a waste is a sniper GET OUT of his hidding spot and attracks attention to himself for no valuable reasons (exemples of a valuable reasons in such situation: diversion, decoy).