PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 The Online Discussion

VariaXVIII
Sep 14, 2009, 12:34 PM
Alright, with PSP2 comin' out in Jp in December, there hasn't really been any questions posed about whether we can connect online or not. There's always adhoc + PS3 or XLinkKai but I'm not sure if we'll still get all the features.

Based on games like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and the original PSP, we all know that a lot of stuff gets taken out in the transition to US. Weapons, possibly maps, and online functionality. CAPCOM and SEGA/ST have very little faith in the NA market, it seems.

All the features in PSP2 are gonna rock my world and they'll probably rock yours too if you like the PSO-esque elements they're re-introducing. But be honest with me. Are you going to still play it if you figure out you can't connect online to all of your friends? I liked the story in PSP1 but it was a chore! PSP2's story looks promising but it's no replacement for the online experience.

Maybe we'll get lucky and still be able to connect to all the rooms via our PS3s, but what if we don't? What are we gonna do about it? Are you gonna hang tight until the PSP2US release and hope we get online functionality?

In any event, discuss.

blyr
Sep 14, 2009, 12:50 PM
Online never was a deal maker/breaker to me, since I enjoy playing alone. If it's there, I may use it to play with a few of my online friends who are getting the game, but other than that, I wouldn't really use it anyways..

DreXxiN
Sep 14, 2009, 12:50 PM
If all else fails, we can always use LAN-tricking problems. I myself will have no problem using Ad-Hoc Party.

3R
Sep 14, 2009, 01:01 PM
Well I DO HOPE we get online mode in the US/EU realease since it is the most appealing thing about this new title along with the new story installment.

With all this hype we are having, depriving us an online mode will steal almost 40% of what the game is worth.

And I don't own a PS3 and xlink kai doesn't work with my card ><

Amherst_Wind
Sep 14, 2009, 01:03 PM
My view is, if PSZero managed to keep online play overseas, I don't see why PSP2 would lose it.
DLC missions, now thats another matter...

Akaimizu
Sep 14, 2009, 01:25 PM
I don't remember infrastruture online functionality ever being available in a portable Monster Hunter release. Not sure how it would be taken out. The US is still in the midst of receiving content download unlocks for MHFU. I think PSP2 will likely keep online given that the purpose of putting it in, in the first place, is mostly for the non-Japanese market. They hardly give a hoot, over there, if it didn't have infrastructure. Or at least, a sizable amount of the population wouldn't care that much.

I also agree that we'll lose something in DLC. That's usually the norm. Then again, has ANY Phantasy Star Online-type game, released by Sega, ever given the Western civs all the content the Japanese release gets? Just because PSZ doesn't have DLC content, Phantasy Star Zero might just be the first and only one to do so.

panzer_unit
Sep 14, 2009, 01:53 PM
Based on games like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and the original PSP, we all know that a lot of stuff gets taken out in the transition to US. Weapons, possibly maps, and online functionality. CAPCOM and SEGA/ST have very little faith in the NA market, it seems.

Which games were missing online functionality? Monster Hunter is ad-hoc only in Japan the same as here.

Monster Hunter FU is getting weekly downloads in order to keep people turning on their game in the months after they finish killing all the baddies or hit a wall and lose interest. All anybody really cares about is the pirate stuff of course, I'm sure it'll come in due time.
We got G-rank Fatalis last week which is convenient as hell since I can't stand doing all the G training and/or Monster Hunter quest to unlock him properly.

bobmanjr2
Sep 14, 2009, 03:02 PM
I saw on numerous websites the confirmation of an online mode, but I seriously HOPE that SEGA doesn't scrap it for america and make it local only. Also, the chat thing might be a bit annoying without a true keyboard, I hope voice chat will be an option as well.

VariaXVIII
Sep 14, 2009, 04:56 PM
Which games were missing online functionality? Monster Hunter is ad-hoc only in Japan the same as here.

Monster Hunter FU is getting weekly downloads in order to keep people turning on their game in the months after they finish killing all the baddies or hit a wall and lose interest. All anybody really cares about is the pirate stuff of course, I'm sure it'll come in due time.
We got G-rank Fatalis last week which is convenient as hell since I can't stand doing all the G training and/or Monster Hunter quest to unlock him properly.

I heard that 2nd G got more online functionality than FU did. Well, actually. I only heard this from a friend and never checked the sources, though, so I'm pretty sure I'm wrong about that.

Mike
Sep 14, 2009, 07:41 PM
My view is, if PSZero managed to keep online play overseas, I don't see why PSP2 would lose it.
DLC missions, now thats another matter...
As far as I see it, DLC and online play on the PSP are more or less the same thing. DLC and online play are both provided by Sega on Sega's servers. So if Sega doesn't put up a server for North America or Europe, then it doesn't happen. For the DS, servers are all Nintendo. So it's then just a matter of convincing Nintendo to host your game. Or something like that. It just feels like Nintendo takes all control when it comes to network comunication while Sony leaves all of that up to individual game companies.

Amherst_Wind
Sep 14, 2009, 08:22 PM
Thats probably right, I can picture Nintendo taking control of any DS or Wii games online functions, thats why we have friend codes afterall...
Well I can see Sega bothering to make an online server for the localized game, however I am still not convinced DLC will appear outside Japan. PSPortable came out in the US when several other PSP games were regularly getting DLC either from in game systems or using the Playstation Network and yet it got nothing.
A server is something Sega can set up beforehand but DLC requires aftercare and well... PSU has proved Sega America aren't too hot on the old aftercare.
Hopefully however, I will be proved wrong.

Zimbabwe
Sep 14, 2009, 09:10 PM
Online functionality and maybe a robust competitive multiplayer are actually the deal breakers for me. I know we probably won't get a serious pvp mode so online mode will be what catches my attention. If it turns out to be half-assed or if the U.S. version doesn't even have that functionality, then I don't think I will play it.

Mike
Sep 14, 2009, 09:40 PM
... using the Playstation Network and yet it got nothing.
I completely forgot about the PSN. If Sega works with Sony, then there's no reason not to have DLC in the US. It does mean that the downloader needs a PSN account and that's a hassle sometimes.

landman
Sep 15, 2009, 01:31 AM
The DLC had to be localized, and since PSP didn't sell enough, they didn't care to localize it.

TonyNess
Sep 15, 2009, 01:40 AM
online better be on the US ver. of PSP2 of it will be a big big shame

Mike
Sep 15, 2009, 02:32 AM
The DLC had to be localized, and since PSP didn't sell enough, they didn't care to localize it.
I don't think you've got that right. PSP sold fairly well. Not as well as Monster Hunter but pretty well for a game that wasn't MH. SoA likely just didn't want to spend the money on hosting a small file. Perhaps the game didn't sell as well outside of Japan as it did, but not including DLC because the game didn't sell well outside of the Japan is thinking backwards. If the game isn't designed to use download content, then localized or not, it won't use download content.

Gibdozer
Sep 15, 2009, 07:12 AM
Online would be great, but it's not a necessity for me in a portable game. Besides they will probably fuck co-op up again by not allowing trades so I can't say it will be a selling point for me. Really I'm more excited about the game play improvements.

Blueblur
Sep 15, 2009, 01:17 PM
The DLC had to be localized, and since PSP didn't sell enough, they didn't care to localize it.Something like that is decided during the localization. Sega made the call to pull the DLC support from the first game way before it hit any US store shelves.

Akaimizu
Sep 15, 2009, 03:14 PM
That's true. It had nothing to do with sales. They pulled the DLC support when the only example of sales data they had was the high sales numbers that occurred in Japan.

Still, the online aspect would be a big deal. I'm hoping, since they went the extra mile to have it in the first place, that they would keep it going other places. It's pretty much the west, which demands the feature the most.

bobmanjr2
Sep 15, 2009, 04:46 PM
That's true. It had nothing to do with sales. They pulled the DLC support when the only example of sales data they had was the high sales numbers that occurred in Japan.

Still, the online aspect would be a big deal. I'm hoping, since they went the extra mile to have it in the first place, that they would keep it going other places. It's pretty much the west, which demands the feature the most.
Yeah and considering the amount of online RPGs for the PSP(none that is) this game would really stand out!

Hibari
Sep 16, 2009, 02:01 PM
i think they will have online play. unless they take chat out of the game then there is nothing to worry about. i couldnt imagine having chat for adhoc.

GrimmDaReaper
Sep 18, 2009, 09:01 AM
i think they will have online play. unless they take chat out of the game then there is nothing to worry about. i couldnt imagine having chat for adhoc.

True enough, still though I wouldn't quite put it past them. Nintendo DS Chat comes to mind all to well on that note.