PDA

View Full Version : We seriously don't have a Scribblenauts thread? Tsk-Tsk.

Niered
Sep 16, 2009, 01:31 PM
So, I picked up the last copy of it yesterday at a Best Buy, I assume they had more in the back but it was the last on the shelves. It's apparently selling like hotcakes, which I'm more than glad to see since its about time the developer, 5th Cell, got a break. Drawn to Life and Lock's Quest were both amazing games, but didn't get the kind of recognition they deserved.

So anywho, I have to say that I agree with the reviews so far. Amazing game, and a helluva lot of fun to just dick around in. The control for Maxwell are a bit iffy though, it would have been much nicer to have some D-Pad and button support, but the game isn't broken by that at all. In fact, it's testament to just how much fun the game is that you keep playing it even with the annoying controls.

So far I haven't had any hilarious stories, just some kind of cool ones. I summoned a Manga-esque Mecha to take down a Leviathan, dragon, and scimitar wield arabian before using an ice pick to open a chunk of ice holding a pirate that I then engaged in hand to hand combat. Another time I was supposed to rescue a penguin from an iceberg without letting the Orca Whale below attack him. I made a helicopter, tied a rope to it, and flew across the water only to smash my helicopter into the iceberg, plummet into the ocean and be devoured by the orca! I was laughing to hard to care.

I actually find the Action stages more mind-bending than the puzzle ones. If anyone has played it, how did you beat the level with the tornado that goes back and forth? The only way I could was by tying a rope to the hunk of metal above it and then tying a rope to that rope, and pulling myself over the damn thing. I don't think that's how your supposed to do it...but then again there are an innumerable amount of ways of solving a puzzle.

So yes, its probably the most fun I've had playing a game in recent memory, and what more can you say about a game that lets you tie a baboon and an infant together, then glue TNT to the baboons back?

joefro
Sep 16, 2009, 02:38 PM
*Scrolls down page*
http://pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168911

Outrider
Sep 16, 2009, 02:57 PM
It was sold out at both Toys R Us and Target. I wound up ordering it on Amazon this morning and it's already shipped, so hopefully I'll get it this weekend (they always claim free shipping takes longer, but it generally comes within a handful of days for me.)

I'm looking forward to this. Kotaku had a post in which players were adding in their favorite moments from their playtime and there were some really great stories there.

Kent
Sep 16, 2009, 10:51 PM
They had two copies of it at one of the Best Buys near here, and I got one of them.

I like how I solved the first action stage in the most ninja way possible. :wacko:

It involved a shuriken.

Niered
Sep 17, 2009, 01:02 AM
*Scrolls down page*
http://pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168911

Dammit, I forgot about that.

Anywho, yeah so by far the coolest thing I've done now is how I solved a puzzle where you had to Feed 3 dinosaurs without letting them get eaten by a t-rex that was guarding the plants they wanted. You cant kill the t-rex either, so first I used the invisible cloak to not worry about the t-rex, then I used the shrink ray on the t-rex, and then finally I used a UFO and an alien to pilot it and just hold the t-rex in mid air.

It was awesome.

Kent
Sep 17, 2009, 10:00 PM
Dammit, I forgot about that.

Anywho, yeah so by far the coolest thing I've done now is how I solved a puzzle where you had to Feed 3 dinosaurs without letting them get eaten by a t-rex that was guarding the plants they wanted. You cant kill the t-rex either, so first I used the invisible cloak to not worry about the t-rex, then I used the shrink ray on the t-rex, and then finally I used a UFO and an alien to pilot it and just hold the t-rex in mid air.

It was awesome.
I've come to the conclusion that Helicopter+Chain/Rope/Cable is the best for transporting any sensitive material, be it cows, injured people or penguins.

Though, it just plain feels good to say that I've used a fireball, TNT, icepick and jetpack in tandem without killing myself. :wacko:

I managed one of the puzzle levels without spawning any items, heh. I swear it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Despite that the controls can be downright frustrating due to Maxwell running/diving/jumping straight to his death instead of interacting with whatever you tap, the game is still really fun due to the main mechanic.

Niered
Sep 17, 2009, 11:53 PM
I've come to the conclusion that Helicopter+Chain/Rope/Cable is the best for transporting any sensitive material, be it cows, injured people or penguins.

Though, it just plain feels good to say that I've used a fireball, TNT, icepick and jetpack in tandem without killing myself. :wacko:

I managed one of the puzzle levels without spawning any items, heh. I swear it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Despite that the controls can be downright frustrating due to Maxwell running/diving/jumping straight to his death instead of interacting with whatever you tap, the game is still really fun due to the main mechanic.

After playing the game as much as I have, im beginning to believe that 5th cell might have put the shitty controls in just to make you realize that even with what would normally be a game breaking mechanic your still mindlessly addicted to an otherwise perfect game.