Charge Shot
3 Step Technics
Shortcut Order
Batttle Mission with Catapult Jump
Challenge Mission (co op)
MIRAGE BLAST!!!
Seabed Plant
Never Before Seen Field!
Battle Mode Where you actually fight each other!

Arisa Noto and Dragon Sakai play Catapult Jump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wpoxzq3VTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKw0fYvnC9s

Blog updated and so did Shogai. The blog mentioned how the buttons will be are set up. We found out our NA version has switched up X and O buttons.

Circle button will pick up items and cards
Circle button will also dodge roll (emergency evasion)

You can also use this in conjunction with analog stick by pointing to a direction while quickly pressing circle.

Triangle Button will be used for charge shot

In the video Charge Shot must be held down for 2-3 secs

R button will be used for Guarding

If you press R at the right moment you will Just Guard
This is shown in the video very clearly

Select Button does various options depending on the mode

In Story Mode Select Button is Shortcut Order
In Multi Mode Select Button is Shortcut Message
But it can also bring up the simple keyboard.

L+Up Arrow Key used as first person view (Thanks Mike)

This introduces new button combinations! Though he didn't mention them,
we can only imagine what these buttons do: L+DOWN L+RIGHT L+LEFT and R+UP R+Down R+LEFT

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/o0240032010259812657.jpg

Also, if you are attending TGS09: GIVE US PICS PLZ
You will get the Fanta Can Strap!
SEGA's TGS booth will have 2 CO-OP missions and one Battle Mission!
Be sure to get the PSP2 Guide Book for us!

Amherst_Wind
Sep 22, 2009, 08:31 AM
Wow, its really nice to see all the new functions in action, kinda like a tutorial.

Nice video, or as Dragon Sakai himself would say...

http://tway.ninja.googlepages.com/sakai.JPG

"Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood"

Mysterious-G
Sep 22, 2009, 08:33 AM
Unlike episode 1 episode 2 actually shows quite a lot game footage.
I think you should add that there was a short peek at what seem to be other new areas.
You can see it when they are showing the effects of using the right element on a Drua Gohra and a Vahra. It looks jungle-like, what I like a lot.
The other area is seen with a chessboard-like ground. I guess it is one of the seabed stages, tho.

A few new enemies were shown, aswell.

Igzam/Exam seems to hit two hitboxes.

People will like the fact that there seems indeed to be battling other characters with weapons. (:
Catapult Jump seems to be fun!

EspioKaos
Sep 22, 2009, 09:10 AM
You get a quick glimpse of a new sword skill in the chain combo demonstration. It's called Grand Crusher.

The other area is seen with a chessboard-like ground. I guess it is one of the seabed stages, tho.
Yeah, that's the seabed plant where Reol Badia is fought.

A few new enemies were shown, aswell.
* Stingee (スティンギー) is a new lightning element Raffon Meadow creature you get a short glimpse of during the TGS announcement. It's dying as the screen cuts to it, though, so it's hard to tell what it really looks like.
* And more noticeably, there's Ep.IV's Astark during the Catapult Jump demo.

landman
Sep 22, 2009, 09:22 AM
Yes, I forgot where was that enemy from, I thought it was from Ultimate Forest (the gigoboma reskin)

I see they have improved the dodge from PSŲ, if you are locking-on an enemy you will still be facing the enemy after the dodge.

I've also noticed ranged combat also has lock-on now.

The PP bar really feels like an action game with an energy bar, so you don't abuse it, but you also have limitless energy to attack, I like it ^^

The catapult jump has 100% PVP o_O unless your stats don't matter in this minigame...

Amherst_Wind
Sep 22, 2009, 09:25 AM
How chains function seems to be pretty much defined now;

1 chain added per attack
The chain disappears if left for a short time without being added to or finished
The last hit of a Triangle PA seems to trigger the chain finisher, any hits that are part of the PA before the final hit continue to add to the chain. Though I wonder how this aspect will affect multiple stage PAs...

Also, see how fast that Force's PP recovered in the 3 step technic demo? Wow.

StamiStar
Sep 22, 2009, 09:31 AM
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1892/enemyu.png
D: Astark!

Now I really want this game in my hands NOW!

Hozanto
Sep 22, 2009, 10:42 AM
Hahah, pvp, the whole BLOCKING feature gives the pvp thing a little more depth, not much but just enough rwight?

Tyreek
Sep 22, 2009, 10:52 AM
In my old days of PSOBB, Astark was known for dropping one of a certain set. That set better be back. D: But other than that... YES!

blyr
Sep 22, 2009, 12:07 PM
I'm a bit annoyed that shooting still takes PP, but I'm pleased with how fast it seems to regenerate..

I hope they release the demo over the weekend ;-;

WBMike
Sep 22, 2009, 12:14 PM
There's also a TGS Trailer which is taking soo long to load
-Edit: It was an old video false alarm

And Sakai says due to PANTIES he got 1st place on Ameblo's Game Charts.

Here's what I got from his blog

Circle Button = Urgent Evasion
Quickly Tap Analog + Circle Button = Urgent Evasion
Guarding and Just Guard is R button
Charge Shot is Triangle Button
Shortcut Order is Select Button in Story Mode
Shortcut Message is Select Button in Multi Mode
L Button + Directional key moves to first person view.

Amherst_Wind
Sep 22, 2009, 12:29 PM
Guarding and Just Guard is R button
L Button and Directional key moves to first person view.

So I take it switching between two single hand weapons (Saber > Handgun etc) is now L?
I know it could be set to L or R before in the options but the default was R. I hope you can still switch L and R functions. D:

WBMike
Sep 22, 2009, 12:30 PM
You push L and Directional key at the same time for first person.

Amherst_Wind
Sep 22, 2009, 12:35 PM
I was presuming L on its own did the weapon switch, otherwise what button is left?

WBMike
Sep 22, 2009, 12:49 PM
Ya, but he didn't say though, thats what bugging me. In PSU my change weapon would have been Circle, but it seems from what I'm reading, Circle picks up items and keys. The only button he did not talk about yet is X, and L by itself, directional buttons by themselves and other button combinations.

From the video I see that L alone makes your character strafe.

So I need to know how do you switch technics with a rod.

landman
Sep 22, 2009, 01:09 PM
Japanese Play Station games have the X and Circle functions switched, and PSU is no different, the X opens the palette and the Circle was only used to pick up items and activate/talk.

I suppose you cannot use the Guard while using a left hand weapon, or a combination of two weapons, but except for Rods, they told all weapons can use shield.

redroses
Sep 22, 2009, 01:10 PM
Hm, isn't in japan that for the psp (maybe for the ps2/3 too) that the circle button is what for us he cross button is? Example if we pick up items etc. with the cross, the japanese would use the circle.

So maybe they will switch it around when it comes out here?

Edit: landman was faster and confirmed XD

Akaimizu
Sep 22, 2009, 01:12 PM
That's possible. It's happened with PSP1. In Japan, things are locked with a right button confirm, left button cancel. So you may be right. They would reverse the functions of X and O.

Anyway, I can't wait to get home today so I can watch this vid.

Amherst_Wind
Sep 22, 2009, 01:13 PM
You could presume R only functions as Guard when you're holding a Shield as your offhand weapon (because you can't really use a Sheild to attack as I understand it).
As such when you are using a Saber and a Handgun, or like you said a Rod, R simply switches weapons/technics...
However its already been said that all weapons can guard (to some extent) so that blows the previous idea out of the water...
Remember it was said that Rods are the only weapon that cant guard? I imagine that has something to do with requiring the R button to switch technics, unfortunately that still leaves how you switch from using a Saber to a Handgun, without simply using the Saber to guard? Curiouser and curiouser...

I imagine the other controls would be:

D-pad = Control 3rd Person Camera
L Button = Strafe / Lock-on
L Button & D-pad = Switch to First Person View

landman
Sep 22, 2009, 01:24 PM
Maybe holding the R button will use the shield, or the Just Guard taping it at the right moment, but if this also changes your first hand and off hand weapons it could be a little annoying, notice the part of the video where he is using the handgun in the chain combo does not show the console and the hands playing xD Maybe we will use a different button for switching weapons...

Akaimizu
Sep 22, 2009, 02:31 PM
I wonder if there's in-game sound in any of those videos. It would be nice if they inherited one feature PSZ brought back. The way that going into battle and such changed the music, and then when the battles were over, the music went back to the music of the level. Somehow, it was always effective. I guess when people spend 1/2hr or so on a single level a bit of musical variety seems to go a long way.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 22, 2009, 02:52 PM
You could presume R only functions as Guard when you're holding a Shield as your offhand weapon (because you can't really use a Sheild to attack as I understand it).
As such when you are using a Saber and a Handgun, or like you said a Rod, R simply switches weapons/technics...
However its already been said that all weapons can guard (to some extent) so that blows the previous idea out of the water...Almost right. It is fairly obvious to me how this will work. If you have a shield in your left hand, R will defend. If you are holding a two-handed weapon (other than a rod), R will defend. If you are holding a rod or a single-handed weapon and your left hand isn't holding a shield, R will switch to the secondary weapon.

Remember, they said you can guard to some extent with all two-handed weapons.

landman
Sep 22, 2009, 02:55 PM
Unless they re-compose most PSU music, I don't think they are adding this, half the game if not most will still be PSU missions.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 22, 2009, 03:17 PM
In 4:23 of the first video, was that Beast girl using tonfas? It looked like it. Maybe some fist type weapons will be tonfas. But other than that holy crap do want so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

Amherst_Wind
Sep 22, 2009, 03:18 PM

Ah, well yeah its obvious then. I totally forgot / never read that it was only two-handed weapons.

Phaesphora
Sep 22, 2009, 04:54 PM
Well, this was a pretty informative update.

Catapult Jump looks better than first I imagined. Might be a nice diversion.
Charge Shot uses a lot of PP. Around 12 of them and your entire palette is dry, unless it is a fixed value and not scaled to LV. It may have already been stated, but I usually don't pay much attention to ranged Types, sorry.
The control scheme has some worrisome elements for me. Lack of at least partially mappable buttons may end up being be a dealbreaker in regard to playing a melee Type.
Nice to see a giant boss, another cue taken from MonHan perhaps?

Thanks to everyone for the tip-off and translations.

garjian
Sep 22, 2009, 04:59 PM
wow...
this is starting to look pretty good...

if only it were on the consoles... i dont like neck strain...

Grand_Rider
Sep 22, 2009, 05:47 PM
Almost right. It is fairly obvious to me how this will work. If you have a shield in your left hand, R will defend. If you are holding a two-handed weapon (other than a rod), R will defend. If you are holding a rod or a single-handed weapon and your left hand isn't holding a shield, R will switch to the secondary weapon.

I concur; it seems like the player will have to choose between versitility (a pair of one handed weapons in each hand) or defence (two handed weapons or a weapon and shield combo) when selecting their weapon of choice. Though in theory you wouldn't be able to block attacks head on you'd still have the option of rolling out of harm's way. It sounds like a solid gameplay mechanic.

However, I wonder if the shield is automatically equipped if the player only chooses to use a single handed weapon? Personally I don't care visually for my character carrying around a shield, I'd much rather the option/ability to wield typically single handed weapons (most likely the saber, handgun and machinegun) in a two handed stance which would acquire the same traits as their standard two handed weapon counterparts.

For example: If a saber normally inflicted 100 pts of damage and a sword did 200 pts, holding a saber in both hands could exact 150 pts. Again; the player would have to choose between greater offensive or defensive capabilities.

Amherst_Wind
Sep 22, 2009, 06:02 PM
However, I wonder if the shield is automatically equipped if the player only chooses to use a single handed weapon?

You raise an interesting question... at first I just presumed obviously they will be a new weapon category, but then I thought what would actually be different between shields, looks obviously but what about stats? Then I wondered what stats shields will actually have... In PS Zero, with no dual wielding, shields were used as weapons and so had Attack and Accuracy stats (they also gave a boost to Defense). However in PSP2 as offhand weapons, that as far as I can see can't actually attack, what stats will they have? Defense and Evade boost perhaps?

Grand_Rider
Sep 22, 2009, 06:17 PM
You raise an interesting question... at first I just presumed obviously they will be a new weapon category, but then I thought what would actually be different between shields, looks obviously but what about stats? Then I wondered what stats shields will actually have... In PS Zero, with no dual wielding, shields were used as weapons and so had Attack and Accuracy stats (they also gave a boost to Defense). However in PSP2 as offhand weapons, that as far as I can see can't actually attack, what stats will they have? Defense and Evade boost perhaps?

I wonder if there'll still be an evade stat. You'd think the ability to manually block and evade would make the stat moot. Especially if you're invulnerable during an evasive roll. While the defense stat could potentially go towards mitigating the damage you receive to an extent when you block, unless you still stand a chance of taking damage whilst rolling I can't see the need for "EVP" anymore.

Akaimizu
Sep 22, 2009, 07:00 PM
I finally got to see the video. Looks great. The game gets better and better. That jump combat game looks like a lot of fun. Am I reading it right that you could play that mode 2 versus 2?

WBMike
Sep 22, 2009, 09:00 PM
Yes 2 vs 2 when they first released the jumping screenshots

Shou
Sep 22, 2009, 09:37 PM
Looks amazing! Now to wait for it to actually release...

Dragwind
Sep 22, 2009, 10:12 PM
This is looking mighty impressive.

Lazaroth
Sep 23, 2009, 02:39 AM
I like the new saber PA seen in the emergency dodge. Maybe its (Infinite Storm)

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Sep 23, 2009, 03:56 AM
This game is looking more and more promising every time I see the new videos.
I'm hyped. Can't wait till December.

Allison_W
Sep 23, 2009, 09:16 AM
Well dammit, here I'd thrown in with the DS camp, and now I'm going to have to get a PlayStation Portable.

Looks like it'll be worth it, though. Holy smokes.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 23, 2009, 09:26 AM
I can't stop watching the second episode. The gameplay is too awesome to bear. I feel like my younger self when anticipating Final Fantasy 7. Hopefully I won't be so let down...

ErtaiClou
Sep 23, 2009, 09:50 AM
I wish they would move away from using the select button but other than that it looks great.

Mysterious-G
Sep 23, 2009, 11:57 AM
Well, after seeing the new jungle area I am rather sure that we will fight the PSO Dragon there. He seems dinosaur inspired anyway, so I figure they put him in as that area's boss.

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 23, 2009, 03:08 PM
Japanese Play Station games have the X and Circle functions switched, and PSU is no different, the X opens the palette and the Circle was only used to pick up items and activate/talk.

I suppose you cannot use the Guard while using a left hand weapon, or a combination of two weapons, but except for Rods, they told all weapons can use shield.

It was in the early life that the PSone was around that this weird change took place with the circle and cross buttons being switched. If you've played any other imports you'll find a similar situation. I have yet to trace back to the exact moment it happened however. Most of it has to do with how circle in Japan means ok or yes while cross means no, and it never really transitions right to english speaking audiences (why I never really understood.) Even the basic menu functions in the PS2 or PS3 operating system are reversed like this.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 23, 2009, 04:23 PM
Well, after seeing the new jungle area I am rather sure that we will fight the PSO Dragon there. He seems dinosaur inspired anyway, so I figure they put him in as that area's boss.

Wait wait wait...there is a jungle area? Can someone get me some pics to these? All I know is the "Seabed" area.

Phaesphora
Sep 23, 2009, 06:31 PM
Wait wait wait...there is a jungle area? Can someone get me some pics to these? All I know is the "Seabed" area.

Is it this?

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/668/smalljunglecap.png

[spoiler-box]http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9210/largejunglecap.png[/spoiler-box]

If not, then the stage shown is just new to me.

WBMike
Sep 23, 2009, 07:03 PM
Yes that's it.

Re-Re-ReUpdated Original Post in this thread

Also I love me some CLEAR screenshots :3

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ifKX5Pvt1zI8G4zai1AZqcaU4YAT88TD.jpg

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/FSNNll7877JSRk8j39YdyqRxve5C5nvK.jpg

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/pWkmW5k4qQ22kChyGMeM1PaZxt8M9t1D.jpg

Tell sega to release the HD version of the OP movie :(

And For Mike

ちなみにSELECTボタンは前作では主観視点への切り替えでしたが、「ファンタシースターポ ータブル2」 (http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psp2/)では、[Lボタン+方向キー上ででるようになっていますI am getting lost in the subject for this sentence.
I read: Previously, the Select Button was for switching to the first person view,
but in PSP2, it appears (shows up) by pressing L button + Up Arrow key

I can't tell if he's referring to the L+UP is the Select button or L+UP is the First person view.

Mike
Sep 23, 2009, 07:45 PM
Yes that's it.
http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/pWkmW5k4qQ22kChyGMeM1PaZxt8M9t1D.jpg
Lumia really does have the Tsunderella thing going on now, doesn't she. What happened between episode 2 and PSP2 for that to happen?

I am getting lost in the subject for this sentence.
I read: Previously, the Select Button was for switching to the first person view,
but in PSP2, it appears (shows up) by pressing L button + Up Arrow key

I can't tell if he's referring to the L+UP is the Select button or L+UP is the First person view.
L + Up (on the d-pad) switches to first person view.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 23, 2009, 08:14 PM
Lumia really does have the Tsunderella thing going on now, doesn't she. What happened between episode 2 and PSP2 for that to happen?

L + Up (on the d-pad) switches to first person view.

Could be between the fact that everyone wants her to be like her bro...or she got RickRoll'd too many times. Which reminds me, everytime that TV starts up in those Fun Fan Episodes I'd love to see Sakai just get RickRoll'd. Dunno why I guess you can chalk it up to immature fun.

RETRO-SPECT: I think the reason our girl Lumia is all Tsundere is maybe because she's a hard-boiled Guardian now. She don't want no crap from some blonde Mary-Sue. Like Jesus said in John chapter 5: "Bitch don't be startin nothin!"

Mike
Sep 23, 2009, 09:02 PM
Could be between the fact that everyone wants her to be like her bro...or she got RickRoll'd too many times. Which reminds me, everytime that TV starts up in those Fun Fan Episodes I'd love to see Sakai just get RickRoll'd. Dunno why I guess you can chalk it up to immature fun.
With a little editing, you could probably replace the tv screen in the Fun! Fan! episodes with a rickroll. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "Dragon Sakai"-roll sometime down the line.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 23, 2009, 10:23 PM
I've already started goin "Gooooooooood!" while giving two thumbs up. Everyone thinks it hilarious for some reason. I did it on impulse too.

AlphaDragoon
Sep 27, 2009, 12:11 AM
Good God Almighty, a new goddamn Saber PA. :-o

Tsundere Lumia looks cool, at least.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 27, 2009, 11:15 AM
Tsundere Lumia is gonna be like Detective Washington from House of the Dead: Overkill, she'll rip your mother [fudging] balls off and take your lollipops...bitches!

Delete
Oct 1, 2009, 11:10 PM
I am almost certain this game is gonna kick ass now.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Oct 2, 2009, 12:45 PM
If the intro song was replaced by "Shaft" grade 70's soul music then head's would explode. I mean like the head would explode, a rainbow would shoot out of the neck, and Skittles would rain down.

EDIT: A better example would be the music from House of the Dead: Overkill. Best goddamn music from a SEGA game since Sonic Adventure...

Crimson-RAmar
Oct 4, 2009, 05:54 PM
It looks like its gonna be an awsesome part two for the psp, but my is question why the hell couldnt they give those type of new features on the console, i mean i like the psp in all but would prefer most of the new stuff to be on console

Chuck_Norris
Oct 4, 2009, 06:40 PM
It looks like its gonna be an awsesome part two for the psp, but my is question why the hell couldnt they give those type of new features on the console, i mean i like the psp in all but would prefer most of the new stuff to be on console

Because they rebuilt this game from the ground up. A simple patch wouldn't be able to make PSU into this. It'd need an entirely new game disc.

Crimson-RAmar
Oct 5, 2009, 03:04 PM
Well sega needs to release a new disc or something and let all characters be carried over, because im still disappointed how far we are behind the jp servers