PDA

View Full Version : Getting a DS(i) on-line. Wi-Fi/Nintendo-noob needs help.

Clunker
Sep 27, 2009, 11:29 AM
Ok, complete Nintendo lack of experience since the SNES here.

Also, I've not done anything with Wi-Fi set ups beyond the automatically-accessing options my Macintosh Pro finds while out on the town.

I'm going to get PS0, but I don't think my local gaming buddies are - so I 've got to look into on-line.

Buddy's got a Wii, physically connected to his router by cable. Does the Wii itself provide the wifi 'signal' on its own?

Does the DSi automatically latch onto wi-fi signals like a Laptop? Or does one use some kind of set up menu to do so?

If there's "How-To's" posted here on this sub-forum on how to get on-line with a DS(i), I've not seen it, but I could've missed it.

I know about that Nintendo USB device - but as it's now 'out of production'... are there any other similar devices that'd fill in the gap? I've Windows XP on my MacBook Pro through using Bootcamp,
so I was thinking something might work through that. I've got a cable-router connected up to it when going on-line, so I was hoping that this might work as a last resort.

Any help would be great - I was hoping to run with a lot of you all here, but I'm needing to be educated on the tech.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 27, 2009, 12:58 PM
Hey Hey! Awesome to see another DSi user on here. Ifn' ya wanna know the how to on the hooks up here is how I did it.

1.Enter System Settings
2.Enter Internet
3.Go to Connection Settings
4.Choose a connection
5.Hit "Search for Access Point" and a list of avialable options should be readily avialable for your disposal.

I don't know how well this will help as some connections need the Advanced Setup option.

Clunker
Sep 27, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hey thanks! Actually, I've not yet bought a DSi, but will for the PS0; I'm trying to 'study up' before I get the game, so I can hot foot it on line.

So it does seem that the DSi uses a fairly easy menu options menu method? What about the Wii acting as a Wi-Fi spot?

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 27, 2009, 01:04 PM
Never really tried it, but it could work. Never hurts to try huh? BTW thats the same reason I bought the DSi. Well another was that I needed an upgrade. I still have the "fat" version and it weighed down in my cargo pant pocket. Now the DSi is pretty light in my pocket and does whack on my knee as much.

Clunker
Sep 27, 2009, 03:36 PM
So, you're not sure if the Wii 'generates' the Wi-Fi signal/hotspot?

Could someone else confirm/deny if the Wii can do this on its own, if cabled into a router, or if I need to set up at least a USB plug-in Wi-Fi 'hotspot' maker for the DSi to go on-line?

See, I can't 'find' a reliable Wi-Fi signal at my apartment - and I've never 'upgraded' from a cabled router....

Arikado
Sep 27, 2009, 04:17 PM
I don't think you can connect through your Wii's signal, but i'm not 100% sure.

What you can use though is a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector but those have been discontinued for awhile now so good luck finding one.

But yeah, if you don't have a Wi-Fi router, the connector is your best bet.

You can read more about getting online with a DS here: http://www.nintendo.com/games/wifi/ds

Hope this helped.

Clunker
Sep 28, 2009, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the link! Will investigate that thoroughly.

Akaimizu
Sep 28, 2009, 09:51 AM
There are also other USB WI-fi dongles out there, as well. The ones that allow other connections to connect and piggyback on that computer's internet connection.

Getting the Nintendo would probably be best, since they have a special easy config for it and all DS games, since inception, that have any internet connectivity can use that mode.

Just remember, the DSi itself has the ability to use WPA/WPA2, but none of the cart-based games can. So if going Wifi, and you are not using the Nintendo USB adaptor, you'll need to use a Wi-fi adaptor or router set to WEP security or none.

Fortunately, public locations (including Hotels) don't use WPA. The only issue would be for those locations that use some sort of Web page security code to maintain connection. Sometimes, it works; sometimes it doesn't.